Goodbye Jesus

What Is The Point Of A Sacrifice?

Rachelmum

(Hey, any economist out there? You get the joke.)

You will be playing here all week? Waiter, bring me another. I can't do another econmist joke. What time does Larry the Cable Guys show start?

Did you get it?

There's no learning with y'all....ears to hear is the term I think the Bible uses. Factamentalists. Damn that's good. What is that quote....some guy with an "I" starting his last name 1907 -1994 I think....something along the lines of life is in the unknown, not the known. Crap, I don't remember.

The Babble doesn't talk about "sacrifice" as working hard. In fact, the Bible argues that "salvation through work" is futile. So sacrifice through work as you suggested earlier to me doesn't match the Bible. The Bible, the "factumentalist" version is that Jesus gave his blood. You never sang that song? Or any of the blood songs? Cleansed in the blood? Doesn't ring a bell? Ok. Well. Perhaps I've been around more Christian versions than you.

You people are fooling yourselves. At least Anterman has it right....you all are ignoring the life half of life opting for the facts. Pure de stupid. But hey, it's your choice.....mostly.

You're mistaken that Christianity is the only way of experiencing life to the fullest. Somehow you're equating "Good life" and "Full life" with "Christian belief." My experience says otherwise.

I'm out peeps....you don't even challenge the hem of the garment. PEEECE

Hemming and hawing... nothing gained by it.

You don't scare me.....you just argue for sport. And what about faith without works is dead? A 30 year ex C backslider should have this one under their belt.....lol.

The First Law of Economics: For every economist, there exists an equal and opposite economist.

The Second Law of Economics: They're both wrong.

(Hey, any economist out there? You get the joke.)

You will be playing here all week? Waiter, bring me another. I can't do another econmist joke. What time does Larry the Cable Guys show start?

Did you get it?

Yes, actually I did. I'm not just another pretty face H.

You don't scare me.....you just argue for sport. And what about faith without works is dead? A 30 year ex C backslider should have this one under their belt.....lol.

Oh, I did my work.

But sacrifice, in the Bible, is not about work or the kind of sacrifice you were talking about.

Sacrifice in the Bible is ... blood sacrifice. Each and every time it's mentioned and talked about, it's about the blood sacrificed. The "New" Testament is about a blood pact with God, through Jesus. A new one. Instead of the one Abraham did. It's about the blood baby, only the blood.

Oh, I did my work.

But sacrifice, in the Bible, is not about work or the kind of sacrifice you were talking about.

Sacrifice in the Bible is ... blood sacrifice. Each and every time it's mentioned and talked about, it's about the blood sacrificed. The "New" Testament is about a blood pact with God, through Jesus. A new one. Instead of the one Abraham did. It's about the blood baby, only the blood.

What is grace then?

Yes, actually I did. I'm not just another pretty face H.

Good.

Christianity is one of the most diverse religion out there. There are more opinions then there are Bibles printed.

Come on Merry, let's debate Hebrews 10.....I see you down there.

"11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices,which can never take away sins"

Oh, shoot. Working hard doesn't work. Bummer. Sacrificing over and over again sucks and is all monkey feces according to the author of Hebrew. Shucks. So it wasn't what you said after all. Working as a sacrifice is bad, bad, bad... No?

"19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,"

Oh, shit. Does it say "blood"? No way. I was right? It was about the blood. The Blood sacrifice was the good one, and the work sacrifice sucked. Damn that I was right.

Was it Hebrew 10 you said? Or did I get it wrong?

It a BLOOD sacrifice. Not WORK sacrifice.

Like I said.

As I had previously stated....the life is in the blood per Leviticus. So Jesus gave his life for ours. Again, you sacrifice for your wife.....she sacrifices for you.....you would be dead without blood. Pretty simple even for a programmer.

What is grace then?

Not a pagan blood sacrifice to apease the gods. That's for sure.

Christianity took a bunch of ideas and tied them all together in a neat package and called it their own.

As I had previously stated....the life is in the blood per Leviticus. So Jesus gave his life for ours. Again, you sacrifice for your wife.....she sacrifices for you.....you would be dead without blood. Pretty simple even for a programmer.

Dude. That's what I said... 500 times.

You kept on saying it was "working hard for the family so the kids learn something" or "there's been a bunch of wars and that improved our science." That's not the sacrifice the Bible talks about. You're the one branching out to odd-place-to-the-left-of-nowhere.

Come on Merry, let's debate Hebrews 10.....I see you down there.

"11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices,which can never take away sins"

Oh, shoot. Working hard doesn't work. Bummer. Sacrificing over and over again sucks and is all monkey feces according to the author of Hebrew. Shucks. So it wasn't what you said after all. Working as a sacrifice is bad, bad, bad... No?

"19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,"

Oh, shit. Does it say "blood"? No way. I was right? It was about the blood. The Blood sacrifice was the good one, and the work sacrifice sucked. Damn that I was right.

Was it Hebrew 10 you said? Or did I get it wrong?

It a BLOOD sacrifice. Not WORK sacrifice.

Like I said.

Nice try....the first was priests of the OT and the second the sacrifice of Christ. You know better sir.....30 years....please.

Again, you sacrifice for your wife.....she sacrifices for you.....you would be dead without blood. Pretty simple even for a programmer.

Those things don't connect in any way at all, end. There is not even a shred of logical thinking in that post.

It's not only not the right answer. It's not even wrong.

Dude. That's what I said... 500 times.

You kept on saying it was "working hard for the family so the kids learn something" or "there's been a bunch of wars and that improved our science." That's not the sacrifice the Bible talks about. You're the one branching out to odd-place-to-the-left-of-nowhere.

Blood, sweat and tears...right? For your family? What's the difference?

Nice try....the first was priests of the OT and the second the sacrifice of Christ. You know better sir.....30 years....please.

Then you don't know shit about blood covenants.

Not the same context. That's why.

The OP talked about the sacrifice in the Bible. :Doh: Not the sacrifice you do at work. :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

Again, you sacrifice for your wife.....she sacrifices for you.....you would be dead without blood. Pretty simple even for a programmer.

Those things don't connect in any way at all, end. There is not even a shred of logical thinking in that post.

It's not only not the right answer. It's not even wrong.

Would you please butt out. You have half a brain because you limit yourself to half. If you want to wake up and smell the enjoyable half, then I'll be glad to visit. But the fact by itself is let's see.......ah, dull. Again, I acknowledged you as all factual....please vacate at your convenience. Thx.

The OP talked about the sacrifice in the Bible. WendyDoh.gif Not the sacrifice you do at work. WendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gif

Your evidence please.

End,

When Abraham sacrificed the lamb instead of Isaac, it was Abraham making a blood covenant with God.

When Jesus died, it was a blood covenant between all humans and God.

Blood. Blood. Blood. So shut up about Work, Work, Work.

The OP talked about the sacrifice in the Bible. WendyDoh.gif Not the sacrifice you do at work. WendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gif

Your evidence please.

Sure. Here:

Hi, I'm new here. You could say I'm searching. I was raised in church, went to BIble College, the whole bit and something has been bothering me for a while now that I cannot get a rational answer to.

What is the purpose of sacrifice? I asked this question on Facebook to my friends and family and got only two responses, both standard Christian answers I myself might have given a few years ago. Here was how I posed the question:

"Serious question I've been afraid to ask:

What is the point of a sacrifice? If a god, any god is willing to overlook something in exchange for the life of the sacrifice, why could they not by that same choice of substitution choose to just forgive without the sacrifice?"

Here were the responses:

"Because it also takes an act of obedience on our part."

"There is an aspect of justice to it. Of course god could chose to simply forgive the offence. However doing so would devalue the offence in the first place. It would say "this was not truly an offence". There would be no reason for the offender to not repeat the offence.

The offence is perpetuated and the offender never learns to not offend."

The thing about all this that really bothers me is that if a god really could substitute one punishment for another, then in reality it is all a choice inside the mind of that god. If the sacrifice is required because of some cosmic law that even the god cannot violate, then why are they a god? Does this make any sense at all?

And I'm not taking about consequences for bad behaviour in a child. I recently grounded my son from the Wii, his favourite thing ever because he hauled off and hit his sister while playing on it. That seemed reasonable and rational. But I would never require him to go flush his pet fish, kill it, because he hit his sister. The analogy breaks down too much for me. But the Bible verse that pops into my head is "The wages of sin is death" and then another, "Anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't, sins." (Sorry, I don't know the exact citations.) What this implies to me is any sin, no matter how small, is worthy of death. But who seriously thinks that way, honestly? Okay I have known some people who treat every misbehaviour from their kids exactly the same way, with a spanking, to illustrate this very point. THAT also really bothered me.

This is where the huge cosmic/spiritual principle usually comes up. The second answer above makes sense if you are taking about shaping the behaviour of a child, but really doesn't make sense to me when applied to why a man would have to die for other people's sin. In such a case, then the god is choosing to see the death of the one instead of the other. Which means to me that either said god is simply capricious and mean, or else he/she is bound by rules that even they can't change, therefore aren't really a god at all.

Am I crazy, or does this all seem like a complicated explanation of barbaric, primitive people trying to explain why things got better after an animal died?

End,

When Abraham sacrificed the lamb instead of Isaac, it was Abraham making a blood covenant with God.

Was Christ's obedience a work?

End,

Was Christ's obedience a work?

That wasn't the "sacrifice."

Sacrifice used for "working hard" is just an expression. Sacrifice as a religious concept is about taking life and shedding blood.

Go to page 1, post 1, of this thread. Read again.