Goodbye Jesus

First Question

ironhorse

I'm new. I'm glad I found this forum.

I've spent some time reading the threads in the Lion's Den, but

instead of jumping in on those I would begin by starting my first thread.

Reply with one question.

Ex Christians, atheist, agnostics, Christians, seekers, all welcome.

What convinces you that Jesus is the visible image of the invisible God?

How do you justify the Bible as a source of authority with it's many contradictions and lack of historical backing?

(I suggest you also read the testimonials too… might give you a little better insight into who we are.)

• Like 1

Why do you a follow a book that says this?

"For you, brothers and sisters, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you suffered the same things from your own compatriots as they did from the Jews, who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out; they displease God and oppose everyone  by hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. Thus they have constantly been filling up the measure of their sins; but God’s wrath has overtaken them at last."

Paul, 1 Thessalonians

• Like 5

'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation."

~Colossians 1:15

I will read your ;ink.

Why do you reject me as the creator of the universe?

What color socks am I wearing right now?

• Like 5

I'm new. I'm glad I found this forum.

I've spent some time reading the threads in the Lion's Den, but

instead of jumping in on those I would begin by starting my first thread.

Reply with one question.

Ex Christians, atheist, agnostics, Christians, seekers, all welcome.

Were you indoctrinated into the Christian religion as a child?

• Super Moderator

For at least 30 years or so, I have had a statement in mind that if the omni-everything-god said it to me, I would believe again.  What is it?

• Like 2

Why are you here? I mean in this forum that was created for people who have been through Christianity and have left it. 

Do you honestly think you have something to teach us that we don't already know?

That's two questions.

• Like 2

'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation."

~Colossians 1:15

Aaaaannnndd... heeeere weeee go!

:::Barf Bags! Get your Barf Bags! Just $1 each.:::

I will answer your two side questions just to be sure I am in

the right place and you understand why I'm here.

I read the rules for posting in the Lion's Den. As a Christian I can post here.

As far as teaching, you may have something to teach me.

You said that you believe in "Jesus the visible image of the invisible God."

Seen him lately?

How'd he look? Eyes still blue? Hair still hippy?

Is he still wearing the sandals and robes or has he upgraded to jeans and a button down?

Just saying, you can't even prove that Jesus existed, let alone that he was the same bloke that the Bible describes. 

I will answer your two side questions just to be sure I am in

the right place and you understand why I'm here.

I read the rules for posting in the Lion's Den. As a Christian I can post here.

As far as teaching, you may have something to teach me.

I'm not denying your right. I'm questioning your motive. Generally, when you're in our house, you have to provide the questions or try to prove whatever it is that you're trying to prove.

Why are you here? I mean in this forum that was created for people who have been through Christianity and have left it. 

Do you honestly think you have something to teach us that we don't already know?

That's two questions.

Since that's two questions, slave, you ask one, and I'll ask the other, since that's what I want to know, too. 

I haven't seen Jesus yet. he's not on earth right now.

I have faith that I will one day.

As far as me proving he existed there are ancient documents, besides the Bible, that mention him.

I know I will be asked "Prove God exists."

If I could do that I would be rich and sipping drinks on the beach in Florida.

I can will explain why I believe God exists, but I cannot prove scientifically God exists.

Science has not been able to prove God does not exists.

Why does Spongebob live in a pineapple?

• Super Moderator

Why would you besmirch the good name of my beloved Cheerwine by associating it with your delusional beliefs and not even have the courtesy to capitalize the word?

• Like 1

As far as me proving he existed there are ancient documents, besides the Bible, that mention him.

I can will explain why I believe God exists, but I cannot prove scientifically God exists.

There are also ancient documents mentioning Ra, Set, Shiva, Shakti, Vulcan, Zeus, and a myriad of others, most of which predate your ancient documents by thousands of years. Science has likewise failed to prove that any of them don't exist.

Science is based on what can be proven, not what cannot be proven. It's why our court systems are based on evidence, rather than the lack of.

And which god are we talking about here anyway? The egomaniacle, hate filled, wrathful, vengeful war monger of the old testament or the hippy-ish, tough love, fatherly, Dr Phil type from the new testament? Not that it matters.

I'll happily choose science and common sense, things that can be proven and reproduced, over a religion based on a book filled with conflicting stories, laws that contradict each other, vague prophecies and circular logic. All of which, coincidentally, I can prove.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Science has also not been able to prove that the Loch Ness Monster does not exist, or Big Foot, or Leprechauns.  Is this a sufficient reason to accept that they do exist?

• Like 3

So, that whole "visible image of the invisible God" is allegory, not literal? Odd thing to say.

Nor can science prove that Balrogs don't exist, that Nac Mac Feegle don't exist or that the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist. You cannot prove a negative.

That said, science has proven that the Earth is not 6,000 years old, that there was never a global flood, and that there never was a Garden of Eden which contained the first two homo sapiens. It has proven that homo sapiens are 200,000 years old. And it has proven a genetic connection between the five great apes.

It has also proven that the texts of the New Testament were not written until three decades after the alleged events took place and science has also proven that eye-witness testimony is meaningless even after a few days, let alone decades.

Basically, the Bible is worthless as a basis of information or truth.

• Like 2

If it could be done, there would be no atheists.

So, you have set out to demonstrate that the unknowable exists and that it exists in the form that your particular sect of your particular religion says it does. I think you'd be better off trying to understand dark matter.

• Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums and good luck.

Seriously? You're going to have to step up your game around here. There are some very smart, well educated former pastors, teachers, Biblical scholars, and missionaries around these parts. Some of us used to do lots of apologetic gymnastics. I suggest you get better quickly, for your own sake.

• Super Moderator

+1 Florduh