Goodbye Jesus

Why Vs How

1AcceptingAThiest1

• Super Moderator

His schtick is "I have made no claims!" therefore we Ex-c's are all foolishly creating strawmen to immediately destroy. Except he did claim he was a Christian, his profile says he believes in God and his profile icon says, "True Christian Believer!"  Uh oh...looks like...Claims!

What pisses me off about this particular little godling is how he comes at us with questions and expects us to answer them, but when we ask questions of our own he says, "Take a number and get in line."

Well what sort of person partially presents himself, inevitably appearing elusive, then scalds assumptions without declaring anything. It's a silly game that is very irritating.

I call it trolling. This is an ex-christian website, he appears in christian clothing, so unless he has a fantastic excuse we shall rightfully assume christian beliefs, end of. Don't jump into a mosh pit and complain or even comment that people assumed you wanted to mosh, fuck yeah it's our right to assume you intend to mosh unless you jump in and clear up rightful assumption.

Not all assumptions are bad, and if you are elusive then doing so is just being a jerk, so I'm calling bullshit on this one. Bullshit code 174.819!

.......So question is not what not when not HOW but WHY is there something rather than not something?....can we create something with absolutely no resources to use? Can we as have humans create something without any pre existing materials to play with? So WHY is the universe in existence?

Is it true athiest dont like the whys? But why? Are you afraid? Not assuming just asking why? Is it because why begs the question? Because it insinuates a built in idea?

I stated in previous topic science cannot answer the why only the how because it is amoral and impersonal so why is it that we have morals and personality today if we came from a singularity that was amoral and impersonal?

I'm going to answer his questions too

#1 why is there something rather than nothing?

Thus far there is no answer, period.

#2 can we create something with absolutely no resources?

No we cannot create something without absolutely no resources, basic economics. p.s. this question is tantamount to asking whether you can add, subtract or multiply the number 0 by 0 in such a way that it creates a positive integer. The answer is no, no and NO!!

And to add, time is a resource as is life, thought and ingenuity, so no.

#3 Can we as have humans create something without any pre existing materials to play with?

Materials are a resource, so I'm failing to see how this really differs from #2. Technically we can create ideas without materials, you need a less ambiguous question.

#4 So WHY is the universe in existence?

Thus far this is no verified and accepted answer that is known to man. There are "answers", but those answers are about as valid as an infant's opinion on astrophysics and Middle Eastern philosophy.

#5 Is it true athiest dont like the whys? But why? Are you afraid? Not assuming just asking why? Is it because why begs the question? Because it insinuates a built in idea?

No it is not true, atheists are not afraid, and you are assuming. The "why" itself does not insinuate a built in idea, but in our social context we can rightfully postulate that the why is deliberately leading to a Christian perspective. If it is not then I suggest it is a deliberate trick question, which is bad form.

#6 why is it that we have morals and personality today if we came from a singularity that was amoral and impersonal?

From chaos comes order and from order comes chaos. Why? because multiple orders interacting with each other in non predictable ways creates chaos, whilst from chaos emerges orders.

Through the cascading layers of order and chaos life eventually emerged, and further still evolution (an inescapable process by definition of how DNA works) led to a species intelligent enough to exercise empathy and deep thought. Though you say that, "we have morals", which is a terrible over generalisation of man. The correct phrase is that we have a capacity for morality.

---

Any more questions?

"Bible says to test everything, even itself, preachers mom, dad even myself, even GOD." - 1AA1

A lot of the people here did test God. He failed. So did the bible. That's why they're here.

Here's a cool test for God. 1AA1, try this please. http://godisimaginary.com/i41.htm

I know you won't. You'll either ignore me or say that God doesnt always answer prayers with a "yes". Though God answering "No" to a prayer goes against his own word in John 14:13-14.

This coin flipping test would be a fun youtube video to make.

• Like 1

Guest afireinside

"Bible says to test everything, even itself, preachers mom, dad even myself, even GOD." - 1AA1

A lot of the people here did test God. He failed. So did the bible. That's why they're here.

Here's a cool test for God. 1AA1, try this please. http://godisimaginary.com/i41.htm

I know you won't. You'll either ignore me or say that God doesnt always answer prayers with a "yes". Though God answering "No" to a prayer goes against his own word in John 14:13-14.

We say "Help me God!"

God say "NO"

Test complete

So--when he asks us why there is a universe rather than not, that's ok, that's just asking questions, totally fair.

When several of us ask him--a professed believer--why there would be a god rather than not, we're making assumptions, attacking strawmen, etc.

Looks like a level playing field to me.

Test God. Avoid church and churchies for a year. See what happens to the faith...

It will evaporate. Brainwashing needs constant reinforcement.

Im still here no one is being ignored. I promise. thanks for holding. No one is a number. Regardless of how ridiculous my answers may be I will make a legitimate effort to answer every iota of a question with your name by it. Midniterider and redneck I answer your questions first since you felt ignored. Thank u have a good day. Love u guys. No jokes today unfortunately. Sry man

Love u guys. 

You don't really love us do you? Please don't love me. I've seen Christian love in action and if that is what love is then I'm out.

Love u guys.

You don't really love us do you? Please don't love me. I've seen Christian love in action and if that is what love is then I'm out.

Cosigned

• Super Moderator

Love u guys.

You don't really love us do you? Please don't love me. I've seen Christian love in action and if that is what love is then I'm out.

Cosigned

I find it absolutely ridiculous when christians on this website claim that they "love us" or that "we have a place in their hearts".  You've never even met me, 1AA1.  All you've ever seen are my profile pic and the posts I've made, neither of which would make a good foundation for "love".  On the other hand, you are used to having imaginary friends, aren't you?

Love u guys.

Cosigned

I find it absolutely ridiculous when christians on this website claim that the "love us" or that "we have a place in their hearts".  You've never even met me, 1AA1.  All you've ever seen are my profile pic and the posts I've made, neither of which would make a good foundation for "love".  On the other hand, you are used to having imaginary friends, aren't you?

Haha... zing!  Good one, TRN.

People in the military love people even those they never seen them. They die for their country because they care for people. I can care and love people I never seen. Redneck I love you im just not IN love with you. I started seeing other people like Falemon. Jokes aside how do I copy n paste phrases like you guys do I will need that when I respond shortly can u help?

• Super Moderator

People in the military love people even those they never seen them. They die for their country because they care for people. I can care and love people I never seen. Redneck I love you im just not IN love with you. I started seeing other people like Falemon. Jokes aside how do I copy n paste phrases like you guys do I will need that when I respond shortly can u help?

Use the quote button located at the bottom right hand corner of the post you are wanting to quote from.  The post will automatically appear in the reply box and you can delete the parts of the quote that are irrelevant to your response. 

• Super Moderator

I think you might be confusing love with the misguided notion that god lays a burden on your heart for certain people.  What you think you feel isn't love; it is the christian version of pity. 

Eh...I disagree but what ur saying is understandable I knew a Christian who said they love everyone here and he posed as an athiest to get information then proceeded to put on an act of being changed to a Christian mid discussion saying "It all makes sense now" This is deceptive and only tarnishes the Christian name even more. With being said it sad and manipulative stories like this I can understand your stance of a Christian claiming to love. I really do care but for your sake I can avoid such phrase if necessary. Welp gtg work ttyl

Eh...I disagree but what ur saying is understandable I knew a Christian who said they love everyone here and he posed as an athiest to get information then proceeded to put on an act of being changed to a Christian mid discussion saying "It all makes sense now" This is deceptive and only tarnishes the Christian name even more. With being said it sad and manipulative stories like this I can understand your stance of a Christian claiming to love. I really do care but for your sake I can avoid such phrase if necessary. Welp gtg work ttyl

Yeah, that'd be like joining an ex-christian site with a username that implies you're an atheist when you're actually a Christian, and launching a thread that attempts to conceal your real worldview. That certainly would be deceptive and manipulative!

• Like 3

I can't question your internal feelings and so on, but let me take a shot at presenting to you a very important perspective.

It is possible for an individual to have a love for a general group, or an appreciation for a nation, though it should not be confused with a personal love, such as that we have for those to whom we actually know in detail. Now this is not to say one cannot love someone they've only spoken to on an Internet forum, but our personal love and affections typically develop through interaction, whereas the widespread (agape type) love is more to do with a man's constant ideal.

It begs the question of what it takes for a person to feel the personalised love with a stranger, and it is more than possible. Though I would then wonder, what exactly does this love that came so easy mean, exactly? To call every woman beautiful defies the compliment, don't you think? :)

Guest afireinside

I can't question your internal feelings and so on, but let me take a shot at presenting to you a very important perspective.

It is possible for an individual to have a love for a general group, or an appreciation for a nation, though it should not be confused with a personal love, such as that we have for those to whom we actually know in detail. Now this is not to say one cannot love someone they've only spoken to on an Internet forum, but our personal love and affections typically develop through interaction, whereas the widespread (agape type) love is more to do with a man's constant ideal.

It begs the question of what it takes for a person to feel the personalised love with a stranger, and it is more than possible. Though I would then wonder, what exactly does this love that came so easy mean, exactly? To call every woman beautiful defies the compliment, don't you think? :)

Exactly Falemon, "love" became a buzzword you just threw around as a Christian, it was an impotent notion. I love you Falemon with the " love of The Lord". But I guess we take it as a kind word gesture from 1AA1

I was in the military because it provided a paycheck. Sure, there is a sense of pride, honor and love for one's country when you serve...but how many soldiers in Amercia's all-volunteer military would work for free?

Most people care enough to help someone in need if they can. Calling it love? I definitely don't love everyone. It's probably just semantics whether we call caring for strangers love or not. If we ARE going to call it love then someone could show me love by supporting me in my own beliefs as they harm no others. :-)

Yeah, that'd be like joining an ex-christian site with a username that implies you're an atheist when you're actually a Christian, and launching a thread that attempts to conceal your real worldview. That certainly would be deceptive and manipulative!

It's ok to be a liar for Jesus apparently. :-)

Guest afireinside

It's ok to be a liar for Jesus apparently. :-)

Matt 10:16

We are "wolves"

Believers are innocent "sheep"

Commissioned to be wise as SERPENTS- wtf?

Somehow balance that by being innocent as DOVES.

A free pass to be deceptive but remain self-righteous and appease a conscience that may be pinging from knowingly being fraudulent.

.......So question is not what not when not HOW but WHY is there something rather than not something?....can we create something with absolutely no resources to use? Can we as have humans create something without any pre existing materials to play with? So WHY is the universe in existence?

Is it true athiest dont like the whys? But why? Are you afraid? Not assuming just asking why? Is it because why begs the question? Because it insinuates a built in idea?

I stated in previous topic science cannot answer the why only the how because it is amoral and impersonal so why is it that we have morals and personality today if we came from a singularity that was amoral and impersonal?

I think the question "Why" comes down to conscious intent, or purpose - this is an incredibly complex thing, and, ultimately, can be broken down into many "How" questions. That said, I think that these questions, especially "WHY is the universe in existence" overreach fatally, and arrogantly, in presuming that there has to be a "WHY." There doesn't have to be a reason. Fullstop. It's the epitome of narcissistic, anthropomorphic thinking to presume that there has to be a "Why." It's not possible to investigate a question honestly and thoroughly, when you assume so much about the answers that there has to be a "why" - it presumes conscious intent. Asking "WHY the universe is in existence" is ultimately making the assumption that there is a God.

The real question is: Why do you find it challenging to consider that there is no universal "why"? What are you afraid of? Or, are you already asking other questions, too? Are you sure faith is enough?

Would 1AA1 (or a soldier) be willing to let a stranger or an acquaintance sleep on his couch? Let them borrow your car? Or your ATM card? A Christian loves everyone and would undoubtedly do these things, right? For me, love is generally a word reserved for those who are close to me. Like someone else mentioned if we say we 'love everyone' then love loses its meaning. Though I do understand what Christians mean when they use the term love as a general caring for humanity. Everyone generally cares for other humans on some basic level.

I can't really say I love serial rapists or murderers, nor politicians or car salesmen, nor anyone that would want to deny me the personal lifestyle to which I have become accustomed. I most likely would not give a hobo mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. But I would call 911.

Please define the term "love".  Rational discourse requires an understanding of what words mean, particularly when the word is the center of the discussion.  Here, the word "love" is central to this recent discussion.  Yet, it appears that your definition of the word may be different than that used or understood by others.