Goodbye Jesus

Xtians: Reasons For Belief?

Orbit

I expect I am wanting change somewhere else that is not occurring and the people here are of the same type. So I exercise my frustration here rather than give up somewhere else

I expect I am wanting change somewhere else that is not occurring and the people here are of the same type. So I exercise my frustration here rather than give up somewhere else

No, you are a genius with the magic Grace formula that leads to a perfect life.  Only we are too stubborn to see just how your wisdom makes perfect sense.

• Super Moderator

So, I've finally gotten around to going back and reading this entire thread and I have to say:  If End3 is demonstrating his idea of grace, then I'm pretty sure we're all better off without it. 

End3 has expressed a great deal of anger and used some fairly unchristian language; Ironhorse has also admitted that he has the same anger End3 has (yet we are all "angry atheists").

These two people worship a god who told them in his book that they would be known by their fruit. 

Lurkers, especially those of you who still adhere to christianity, pay special attention to the fruit these guys are displaying here and ask yourself, "Is this really the best my religion has to offer?"

Perhaps I won't make it through the gate. The OP asked the question. Regardless of the answer, it wouldn't be ok. No one here actually wants to discuss. It's just rather ugly. And when someone discusses a scientific approach, many are so ignorant of the method, it's useless to have a decent conversation. At least a few very educated men have left Ex C because of this very lack of respect. You don't fall into their class, so I expect you will fall into the group of angry residents.....which I have already alluded that you were doing and you continue to fall further into this stupidity. But if it makes you feel good as a person, carry on. I personally think you are different.

Are you now attempting to insult me simply for pointing out that the fruit you are displaying is less than graceful?  That's pretty low, End3; especially given that in all my interactions with you, I've always been cordial.

Per our previous conversations, I'm not sure you know when you are practicing science.

You get confused a lot.

No, when we broke it down into tiny steps at BAA's pace, it was rather evident the result.

Yes, you couldn't stick it and bailed out.

Want me to cite where this happened?

Per our previous conversations, I'm not sure you know when you are practicing science.

You get confused a lot.

No, when we broke it down into tiny steps at BAA's pace, it was rather evident the result.

And since your powers of recall are so poor End, let me remind of this.

I broke it down into tiny steps so we could go at your pace.

Want me to cite where this happened too?

It's just my opinion. And in this forum opinions don't count .

That's a patently ridiculous assertion, and belies a victim mentality to boot.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Opinions that are supported by logic and evidence tend to be respected more than leaps of faith.

Can you please translate this into English for me?  What is the "somewhere else" and the "type" of person you are projecting your frustration about?

Trout turnpike galoshes...

Wendyshrug.gif

Conditions for acceptance...

Welcome to adulthood.

Excuse me for interrupting this dialogue with Esnd3, but I want to go back to ironhorse for a moment. Ironhorse, you have yet to explain why you believe that the Bible god is real. You can't say that you believe in the bible god because the bible said it is so. That is intellectually dishonest. What makes you conclude without evidence that the bible is true or that the bible, with all of its contradictions and other shortcomings, is more likely true than  either science or some other creator god? That is the real issue. Not whether or not there is a god. It's the Xtian god that I find to be particularly unbelievable. I refuse to believe that the god of the universe is that bad. Nor is it at all believable to me that the bible god (if the bible were true} is not evil. So why do you believe in the biblical god? Eh?   bill

• Super Moderator

It is your opinion that I don't fit in with the company of "a few very educated men"?  Based upon what did you come to hold this opinion of me?

The OP specifically asked for REASONS you believe, BESIDES faith. None have been offered.

Orbit's the original poster, and what reasons did IH and End3 basically give?  Their faith.  It's their faith that they believe.  No respect for the original question whatsoever.

IH:

"This earth and all the life it contains gives me concrete evidence that it has been designed. I can’t accept that all this brilliantly functioning life just randomly occurred.

That is my concrete reason I believe in God."

End3:

"S, who in the fuck made you the post police. He gave you all an answer. Sorry it doesn't satisfy your fucking stance. Pony up and tell us all how life started.....we want evidence S. If you don't have it, stfu and fuck off. Jesus dude."

Based on you previous posts jackass, you seem to have a bit of anger yourself. Let's try this. Why don't you take the responsibility to satisfy your own beliefs yourself??? What a novel idea?? No, we have to take someone else's beliefs and change them to help ours. Obviously it's not ok for IH to believe as he does.

My anger is with the idiots of this world. Funny I should direct vitriol at you s.

All you resident fucks, bring the science. Until then, you are all like Roz, a blowhard that says absolutely nada.

It is your opinion that I don't fit in with the company of "a few very educated men"?  Based upon what did you come to hold this opinion of me?

I think you have the option to choose. It appears you are choosing morose.

IH, to answer your earlier question, we all accept the fact that YOU hold your beliefs based on faith. We fully understand and accept that YOU do. What we are pointing out is that if you base your beliefs on faith, you have zero guarantee that your beliefs are anywhere close to accurate. It is an absolute crap shoot because there is no evidence. We also call you out when you say you have evidence. When you present your evidences, we point out that it does not support your claim like you think it does. When you can't answer us, you just revert back to saying, "I can't prove anything, it's all faith." Around and around we go on the merry go round of cognitive dissonance. You and your counterparts have also accused us of using faith just like you do. This is absolutely incorrect. Everyone holds some views that are more uncertain the others, true. There are things I believe with little evidence, but because I recognize the shortage of evidence, I hold these views very loosely with the understanding I could easily be wrong. That IS NOT faith. I do not believe anything is absolutely, unquestionably true bases on little to no evidence. That is what faith does. Also, even if it were true that our views are just as uncertain as yours (faith) (that would actually be a straw man because uncertainty is our view, the reason we don't believe in god), our objections would be neutralized but so would your arguments. It would be like using a nuclear bomb to destroy your enemy but you also destroy yourself in the process. Now, admittedly, there are varying definitions of faith. If you want to use "faith" to say that I put trust in things like a chair that it will hold me up, then sure I have "faith" in the chair. But let me point out that the belief the chair will hold me is not without evidence. I have no absolute garantee it will hold me, but it has held me almost every other time I sat in it. So I have good evidential reason to think it will hold me again. Faith in the sense of trust is not the same as believing a mythological story is unquestionably, absolutely true with NO evidence. Now, what I will happily agree to disagree with you on is if you think you have good evidential reason to think god exists. I will critique your reasons (and I have), but I do this to explain why your reasons don't convince me and won't convince anyone else who isn't already biased toward theism. To each his own. You can believe what you want to. What I wish you would do is be honest and just stick with saying, "I believe it because of faith." Although I think faith is a bad reason to believe anything, I do respect that as an honest answer.

• Super Moderator

It seems you are choosing not to answer either of the questions I asked.  This matters to me, End3, because I have considered you a friend.  But to insult my intelligence and then not offer an explanation when called on it is neither the action of a friend nor or a graceful christian.

The OP specifically asked for REASONS you believe, BESIDES faith. None have been offered.

Orbit's the original poster, and what reasons did IH and End3 basically give?  Their faith.  It's their faith that they believe.  No respect for the original question whatsoever.

IH:

"This earth and all the life it contains gives me concrete evidence that it has been designed. I can’t accept that all this brilliantly functioning life just randomly occurred.

End3:

"S, who in the fuck made you the post police. He gave you all an answer. Sorry it doesn't satisfy your fucking stance. Pony up and tell us all how life started.....we want evidence S. If you don't have it, stfu and fuck off. Jesus dude."

Based on you previous posts jackass, you seem to have a bit of anger yourself. Let's try this. Why don't you take the responsibility to satisfy your own beliefs yourself??? What a novel idea?? No, we have to take someone else's beliefs and change them to help ours. Obviously it's not ok for IH to believe as he does.

My anger is with the idiots of this world. Funny I should direct vitriol at you s.

All you resident fucks, bring the science. Until then, you are all like Roz, a blowhard that says absolutely nada.

IH did answer, but said a leap of faith is why he believes. So it's an answer, just not one that gives a reason other than faith.

It seems you are choosing not to answer either of the questions I asked.  This matters to me, End3, because I have considered you a friend.  But to insult my intelligence and then not offer an explanation when called on it is neither the action of a friend nor or a graceful christian.

I did answer. By saying you may choose, it implies that you will fit anywhere you choose. That is my opinion. I look at the trending of your posts from when you arrived to now and it appears, as I said, that you are opting for morose. That is how I formed my opinion. I am sure you are above average intelligence and I don't see it productive that you opt for the latter. That doesn't mean that this path is not needed.

IH:

End3:

IH did answer, but said a leap of faith is why he believes. So it's an answer, just not one that gives a reason other than faith.

Yes, and it wasn't an answer that was ok for anyone. He was crucified basically for not providing the pat logical appeal. Who gives a shit. Why must his belief be logically validated to be ok?

And the incredible insult was everyone can't explain belief in the logical or scientific sense. Fucking incredible.

IH:

End3:

Yes, and it wasn't an answer that was ok for anyone. He was crucified basically for not providing the pat logical appeal. Who gives a shit. Why must his belief be logically validated to be ok?

And the incredible insult was everyone can't explain belief in the logical or scientific sense. Fucking incredible.

I thanked him for answering, if you look.

Yes, and it wasn't an answer that was ok for anyone. He was crucified basically for not providing the pat logical appeal. 

Oh that is why IH hasn't been answering questions.  He was nailed to a cross and left hanging until he died.  Well shame on us for treating IH that way.  crucified.gif

Really, why did we have to kill him?

Oh wait, you were exaggerating.  By "crucified" you mean we asked him questions he could not answer.   Yes those militant atheists are so very militant.  Dude, when Christians ruled the world they burned atheists at the stake, literally, and no apologies were given.  I think it is only fair that now Christians have to endure our questions when they intentionally come to a website designed for ex-Chrstians.

Why must his belief be logically validated to be ok?

They don't have to be logically validated.  He is free to believe any false shit he wants.  However if his ideas were true then chances are they would have merit which we could see through logical validation.  Since he is expecting us to adopt his beliefs we will put it through that test.

What is the matter with you?  Do you expect us to swallow any and all Christian claims without testing them?  If you want to be somewhere that Christian theology is not questions then there are thousands of Christian websites to choose from.  Many of them will ban those who question Christian theology so help yourself.

• Like 1

IH:

End3:

The Toilet Christian™ speaks, derailing yet another thread with irrelevance and hate.

The Toilet Christian™ speaks, derailing yet another thread with irrelevance and hate.

Every Christian is called to play their role in the body of Christ.  Some are the hands, some are the feet.  Someone has to be the . . .