Goodbye Jesus

My 2 cents

Bibler

@Bibler, if you're still around, I'd like an answer to my question please. For someone who claims to "eat lions fit breakfast", you are showing a remarkable amount of hesitance to deal with a simple question.

@Bibler, if you're still around, I'd like an answer to my question please. For someone who claims to "eat lions fit breakfast", you are showing a remarkable amount of hesitance to deal with a simple question.

What was your question again.

Nah ... its not the attention ... it is the fact he has been "battling truth and reason" (satan) here!  Its hard to continue battling "truth and reason" (satan). It becomes very wearying when you try and argue to destroy truth!

Yeah he came in saying he was disappointed how the other christians gave up so quick. I'm hoping bibler trades in his true christian emblem for a curious emblem soon. When he said he was battling "satan" I kinda figured we had said something that's making him think. And probably why he hasn't commented again. He's probably frantically searching for something to save his concept of reality. I think we can all relate to that. Been there done that....it sucks.

DB

• Like 2

What was your question again.

I want to know how it is that @Bibler feels justified in claiming to know the will of God. I consider this to be a major problem for Christianity, and no one has ever been able to give it a satisfactory answer.

I want to know how it is that @Bibler feels justified in claiming to know the will of God. I consider this to be a major problem for Christianity, and no one has ever been able to give it a satisfactory answer.

It may have something to do with the desire to being a prophet.

Lot's of Christians are obsessed with prophecy, the prophets supposedly knew Gods will.

It may have something to do with the desire to being a prophet.

Lot's of Christians are obsessed with prophecy, the prophets supposedly knew Gods will.

Sure, but that doesn't answer the question. If someone thinks that they are a prophet then they ought to be able to explain how it is that they know things that most of us don't. And if they are appealing to the authority of former "prophets" then the problem is even worse, since in that case they will need to explain how they can know that someone who is long dead actually knew the will of God.

This is not a trivial issue.

@Bibler hoping your silence means you're deciding to respect us and not write us off. 

Sure, but that doesn't answer the question. If someone thinks that they are a prophet then they ought to be able to explain how it is that they know things that most of us don't. And if they are appealing to the authority of former "prophets" then the problem is even worse, since in that case they will need to explain how they can know that someone who is long dead actually knew the will of God.

This is not a trivial issue.

No I know.

Honestly I think prophecy is possible, not restricted to any religion, and has nothing to do with God. But my explanation isn't a conventional Christian answer.

The conventional Christian might say "The spirit of God talks with me" and there's the beginning of thinking they know Gods will, right?

But how do they know or think God is talking to them, he isn't.

But they feel things and have experiences that lead them to believe God is talking to them, right?

Either these feelings are generated internally or externally, but either way they don't have to come from God. They just think they do.

• Like 2

Have a laugh you guys.

for someone who believes eden, adam n eve and talking snakes and spilting of red sea and all of the first 5 books are allegory, 

what is it with SATAN & eating lions for breakfast?

No I know.

Honestly I think prophecy is possible, not restricted to any religion, and has nothing to do with God. But my explanation isn't a conventional Christian answer.

The conventional Christian might say "The spirit of God talks with me" and there's the beginning of thinking they know Gods will, right?

But how do they know or think God is talking to them, he isn't.

But they feel things and have experiences that lead them to believe God is talking to them, right?

Either these feelings are generated internally or externally, but either way they don't have to come from God. They just think they do.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Well, then you have your answer.

Yeah he came in saying he was disappointed how the other christians gave up so quick. I'm hoping bibler trades in his true christian emblem for a curious emblem soon. When he said he was battling "satan" I kinda figured we had said something that's making him think. And probably why he hasn't commented again. He's probably frantically searching for something to save his concept of reality. I think we can all relate to that. Been there done that....it sucks.

DB

Yeah, it seems that the Bibler isn't Bibling here anymore. We got a good, solid day and part of another day out of him. I guess time will tell if he'll ever come over to play again.

(P.S. -- Am I the only one here who thinks that "Bibler" is a strange name for one who doesn't even believe a large chunk of the Bible is true?)

• Like 2

Yeah, it seems that the Bibler isn't Bibling here anymore. We got a good, solid day and part of another day out of him. I guess time will tell if he'll ever come over to play again.

You could always pray for him to return, I hear it works for the Christians really well.

I I've studied the Bible in some depth. I've memorized large portions of it. And I have carefully considered this question and all the usual answers many, many times. No one has ever answered this question satisfactorially. This is a big problem for Christianity. It's the primary reason why I'm not a Christian anymore. So answer the question, if you're up for it, but I would ask that you try to put some thought into your response.

Hey disillusioned, you've probably written about the following many times, but ... do you have a take on classical arguments for theism? I think the problems with the Bible are strong - insuperable - difficulties for Protestant fundamentalism. Catholic apologists like to slip the Bible into a back room and come out with cosmological arguments for God or natural law arguments for their Church's moral teachings, as though their position doesn't really need the Bible.

• Like 1

... I'm here to stay and fight ...

Never fear!  Know that Bibler has not left us because he is a christian and would not lie to you. 

When he left Im sure he promised to return to us again quickly. 

That day is near at hand! Rejoice!

He has great plans for us, and longs to be with us as he fights our demons. 

• Like 1

Never fear!  Know that Bibler has not left us because he is a christian and would not lie to you. 

When he left Im sure he promised to return to us again quickly. 

That day is near at hand! Rejoice!

He has great plans for us, and longs to be with us as he fights our demons. 

Some of us here shall not taste of death before Bibler returns in his glory?
  • Like 1

Guest end3

Dang, step away for a few days and miss the entire season 1 of "The Bibler".  Hoping there's a season two....looked like a  thriller...

Dang, step away for a few days and miss the entire season 1 of "The Bibler".  Hoping there's a season two....looked like a  thriller...

Oo! Christian, hi!

You're not bibler are you?

ill-be-back.jpg

Well, then you have your answer.

Yes, I have my answer, but I don't have Bibler's, which is what I'm looking for.

"He'll be back."

Must need to go pray to the imaginary man for extra strength to grapple with our demons. You'd think an all powerful god would be more than happy to fight his own batles. All that supposed power, and not a clue what to do with it. 

Damn, if I had the kind of power they claim he has - I'd be doing all kinds of neat stuff, but none more than just showing up and going: "Ayyyyye dude/dudette, I gotchu." That would solve so many issues. 

• Like 2

Hey disillusioned, you've probably written about the following many times, but ... do you have a take on classical arguments for theism? I think the problems with the Bible are strong - insuperable - difficulties for Protestant fundamentalism. Catholic apologists like to slip the Bible into a back room and come out with cosmological arguments for God or natural law arguments for their Church's moral teachings, as though their position doesn't really need the Bible.

I think your assessment is spot on ficino.

I completely agree about the problems with the Bible. These problems lead to major issues with protestant Christianity. I'm not as familiar with Catholicism as I am with Protestantism, but I am aware of the sorts of tactics that you mention. I think that the Catholic church tries to set itself up as the final arbiter of God's will in a way that most protestant branches generally don't. I think that sometimes the Bible gets in the way of this.

As far as classical arguments go, I have written a number of times about the cosmological, teleological, ontological and moral arguments both here and elsewhere. I'm always happy to look at these again though. The one that I find most interesting is the transcendental argument, although this is the one that is used least by the Christians that I've interacted with.

Exodus is an allegory, nothing more than that.

Is Adam and Eve and their sin allegory?

Yes.

Bibler, if you do come back, I have a few questions pertaining to the above quotes.

1. Is the story of Jesus, Mary and Joseph literal?

2. If so, what person in Jesus' genealogy was the literal son of an allegorical father?

3. What criteria do you base your conclusion in #2 on?

Thanks.

• Like 1