Goodbye Jesus

There is no universal human religion

TEG

5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

...but not all.  Therefore not universal. 

The need for spiritual answers is universal. Materialists need to be stroked in their unbelief so they seek out like minds and all get together and commune in their unbelief. Sad, I must say.

Goodbye Jesus
12 minutes ago, TEG said:

it has all been said before.

"That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun."

Ecc 1:9

• Like 1

Materialists Christians need to be stroked in their un belief so they seek out like minds and all get together and commune in their un belief. Sad, I must say.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OrdinaryClay said:

What definition of evidence do you use?

I don't recall using the term evidence, however what I'm looking for is verifiable facts (evidence if you like) supporting the rational conclusion that a claim is true or false.

For example if I say to you "I have a dog in my back yard", and you say back up the claim, I can provide you with photos, invite you to come to my place, you can see the dog poop, maybe pick it up for me, and most importantly pat and interact with the dog. At that point I've presented you with verifiable facts (evidence) supporting the rational conclusion that there is a dog in my back yard. If I did this to 100 people, notwithstanding any mental disorders, they would all agree that there is a dog in my back yard. At that point we can all reasonably confidently state that it is a fact of reality that there is a dog in my back yard.

Now, I tell you there is A transcendent, immaterial, invisible Pink Unicorn in my back yard... evidence for this you ask? Well I have a book, I feel good. I asked the unicorn to find my keys and lo and behold I found them. I had a headache, I prayed to the unicorn and it went away... at that point you be like yeah, nah bro... I mean verifiable evidence.

Hopefully that gives you some idea of what I mean by "do you have anything other than the bible to back up your claim".

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TEG said:

Materialists Christians need to be stroked in their un belief so they seek out like minds and all get together and commune in their un belief. Sad, I must say.

So much so they have set regular meeting times on a specific day to do this!

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 5:33 PM, TEG said:

We all see the same moon; why don’t we all see the same god?  Example:  hinduism and buddhism are two of the world’s main religions.  But as I understand it, they do not agree on something as fundamental as the existence of the atman, or soul.  Hindus say there is one, buddhists say there isn’t.  This seems like a pretty important question for religion to answer.  Another example:  Jesus told his disciples that the holy spirit would guide them into all truth.  Down through the centuries, he has not been a very good guide

Fascinating! I would propose: the religions that emphasize meditation and renunciation vary because they prioritize different concepts. Religions that emphasize dogma vary because of variation among the quirky ideas that were near to hand for the dogmatizers (and which cultural elements they were at pains to 'borrow'). 

Adding to the difficulty is the fact that even considered in themselves, religions can be hard to grasp. For example, the Jain religion is thought by some to be "atheist", while others point out that karma plays the role in Jainism that "god" does in other religions. Jains say God cannot be imperfect, so God cannot have created the universe. They don't reject God but rather they reject an anthropomorphic god.

Why don't we all see the same god? Because we are so complex, in our nature, and our cultural circumstances at any one time and across time. Also religions focus on different objectives. We can compare them more easily now than ever before.

Buddhism seems to emphasize the idea that my self and your self are not so different, and that when we emphasize a difference, we remain mired in the cycle of birth and rebirth. But that's not so different from the idea that 'what you do to the least of these, you do to me'. 

Arguing with these devout Christians is a waste of time.  They don't have rational, critical thinking.  They are like recording devices, and can only produce what has been programmed Into tnem.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, OrdinaryClay said:

The need for spiritual answers is universal

Please provide support for this claim.

9 hours ago, Weezer said:

Arguing with these devout Christians is a waste of time.  They don't have rational, critical thinking.  They are like recording devices, and can only produce what has been programmed Into tnem.

Talking heads, as it were.

Christians, republicans, democrats, conservatives, liberals, you name it, they mostly just root for their side without ever critically examining it.  It must be some basic human instinct.  Studies have shown that when people are confronted with evidence against what they believe, their reaction is not to reconsider their belief, but to dig their heels in and defend their position even more strongly.  It’s like an Ohio State fan trying to convince a Michigan fan that the Buckeyes really are a better team; it’s not going to happen.

I have read some of the prolonged threads where people are seriously attempting to engage christians in rational debate about their beliefs.  Deep down inside, I do not believe there is any point to it.  I think it’s best to adopt a “your Jedi mind tricks won’t work on me” attitude; make it clear that you do not believe what they are saying, even though they do, reject their illogic, and move on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OrdinaryClay said:

The need for spiritual answers is universal. Materialists need to be stroked in their unbelief so they seek out like minds and all get together and commune in their unbelief. Sad, I must say.

Materialists (who dont believe in spiritual stuff) seek out humans (more non-spiritual stuff) so they can get together and talk about non spiritual stuff. To you that is seeking spiritual answers? 

So if a group of people get together in order to throw a ball down an alley and drink beer together, is this also spiritual seeking? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, OrdinaryClay said:

They buy into nutty fantasies like the AI singularity and star trek stuff.

Nutty fantasies like God giving birth to himself so he can sacrifice himself to himself in order to atone for the curse that he himself put on all humanity because 2 people ate a piece of fruit after being tempted by a talking snake? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, OrdinaryClay said:

Believers need to be stroked in their belief so they seek out like minds and all get together and commune in their belief. Sad, I must say. 

Two can play this game. 

You also needed to come here to provoke non believers because clearly you have a need for that and somehow one upping people. Sad that you can't be secure enough in your belief to not do that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, midniterider said:

Nutty fantasies like God giving birth to himself so he can sacrifice himself to himself in order to atone for the curse that he himself put on all humanity because 2 people ate a piece of fruit after being tempted by a talking snake? 

Preach brother!

QFT

On 9/2/2019 at 10:37 PM, OrdinaryClay said:

"That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun."

Ecc 1:9

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forest Gump

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, TEG said:

I see you have a PhD in Internet.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:11 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

I don't recall using the term evidence, however what I'm looking for is verifiable facts (evidence if you like) supporting the rational conclusion that a claim is true or false.

For example if I say to you "I have a dog in my back yard", and you say back up the claim, I can provide you with photos, invite you to come to my place, you can see the dog poop, maybe pick it up for me, and most importantly pat and interact with the dog. At that point I've presented you with verifiable facts (evidence) supporting the rational conclusion that there is a dog in my back yard. If I did this to 100 people, notwithstanding any mental disorders, they would all agree that there is a dog in my back yard. At that point we can all reasonably confidently state that it is a fact of reality that there is a dog in my back yard.

Now, I tell you there is A transcendent, immaterial, invisible Pink Unicorn in my back yard... evidence for this you ask? Well I have a book, I feel good. I asked the unicorn to find my keys and lo and behold I found them. I had a headache, I prayed to the unicorn and it went away... at that point you be like yeah, nah bro... I mean verifiable evidence.

Hopefully that gives you some idea of what I mean by "do you have anything other than the bible to back up your claim".

I don't think you understand what facts are, and you certainly don't seem to understand what evidence is. What if you say "I had a stray dog pass through my backyard"? How would I verify your statement?

On 9/3/2019 at 1:00 AM, Weezer said:

A large component of all knowledge is learned you know. In any case, what makes you think atheists and pagans are less susceptible to human error.

On 9/3/2019 at 5:26 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Support? Why do you suppose every known human culture extinct and extant builds an entire cultural pillar around spirituality.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:11 PM, midniterider said:

Materialists (who dont believe in spiritual stuff) seek out humans (more non-spiritual stuff) so they can get together and talk about non spiritual stuff. To you that is seeking spiritual answers? 

So if a group of people get together in order to throw a ball down an alley and drink beer together, is this also spiritual seeking? 

I said "need". Just because someone needs something does not mean they will satisfy that need at all moments in their life. Also, humans often look for surrogate satisfaction for their needs, obviously.

On 9/3/2019 at 3:50 PM, midniterider said:

https://promisekeepers.org/promise-keepers/events/

80,000 Christian men stroking each other's...ummm....belief in Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_P-RNftrfQ

Thousands of weekly mutual stroking Christurbators. 

So why do you practice magick?

On 9/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, TruthSeeker0 said:

Believers need to be stroked in their belief so they seek out like minds and all get together and commune in their belief. Sad, I must say. 

Two can play this game. 

You also needed to come here to provoke non believers because clearly you have a need for that and somehow one upping people. Sad that you can't be secure enough in your belief to not do that. 

What game is that? You really think I post here to enhance my belief, ahh .... that's a weird belief. :)

On 9/3/2019 at 1:19 PM, midniterider said:

All your beliefs are based on materialism? Now I would have to be nutty to believe that. LOL

On 9/4/2019 at 11:02 PM, Joshpantera said:

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forest Gump

I don't understand what that has to do with Ecc 1:9

On 9/3/2019 at 5:26 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

So i have to ask. What is the "last rabbit" ?