Goodbye Jesus

Faith, Logic, and Freedom

Edgarcito

18 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Yes, you're free to base you life on speculations about ancient myths instead of knowledge, if that's what you want to do.

But that doesn't mean we won't call him out on extra biblical BS lol. I think that's what he wants. For us to go along with his theories. 

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

26 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Maybe this is the game. For Ed's amusement only. 

@Edgarcito

You should really understand our frustration when it comes to you spouting your own "interpretations" of the Bible. We do that with every Christian that comes in here that goes into unbiblical excuses of why the Bible is still true. 

Just feel blessed knowing we are equal opportunity deniers of the faith. 🙂

DB

No I’m just seasoned.  I find equal frustration in the arrogance of logic

Now that you're back on line Ed, how about you answer my pending question?

Now answer the question properly.

When the rattlesnake comes into your garden and bites your child, is it the child's fault?

Please declare whether or not it is the child's fault that the snake bit them.

21 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

No I’m just seasoned.  I find equal frustration in the arrogance of logic

Oh I imagine you've had your fair share of frustration. You've been hanging around a lot longer than I've been here. And your christian.... kinda... been through a few battles over the years huh? You must be a glutton for punishment 😆 

15 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

Now that you're back on line Ed, how about you answer my pending question?

Yeah let’s follow the trail.  No, the parent is responsible for the child

1 minute ago, Edgarcito said:

So shouldn't the child be punished for something it wasn't responsible for?

44 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

Walter,

He's already admitted that logically speaking, yes, his God is an ass. But he has the right to be so because he created everything. 

So it doesn't matter what argument we come up with about God's unfair actions and lies. God as an ass because he can and no one can do anything about it. 

Atleast he admits that much. He's not really a "true believer" anyway. I don't know how much more of your time you want to waste on reasoning with someone that is ok with the unreasonable actions of an omni God like the one in the bible.

Ya really can't make a sound argument with someone that takes a stance like that. I'm wondering if we can veer this thread into a more productive direction. 

I mentioned earlier that God told them that they would surely die if they ate the fruit. But he mentioned nothing about being cursed if they ate the fruit. Why go to such an extreme? Was death and hellfire not enough? Did he really need to make life and the afterlife miserable for them? And was he justified in doing so? He didn't warn them about any of the curses or the banishment from the garden. So how can he hold them to that punishment?

DB

I will defer to the RedneckProf on this one, DB.

If he feels that this forum isn't well served by how I'm questioning Edgarcito, then I'll yield.

The good of the forum should come first.

Thank you,

Walter.

3 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

I will defer to the RedneckProf on this one, DB.

If he feels that this forum isn't well served by how I'm questioning Edgarcito, then I'll yield.

The good of the forum should come first.

Thank you,

Walter.

Oh I think your doing a great job. I just don't think we are going to get anywhere. I guess we'll see. 

DB

9 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

I mentioned earlier that God told them that they would surely die if they ate the fruit. But he mentioned nothing about being cursed if they ate the fruit. Why go to such an extreme? Was death and hellfire not enough? Did he really need to make life and the afterlife miserable for them? And was he justified in doing so? He didn't warn them about any of the curses or the banishment from the garden. So how can he hold them to that punishment?

But this is a separate thought @walterpthefirst. Did you consider this when you were a believer? I didn't really give it any thought but he never said they would receive anything more than death.

1 minute ago, DarkBishop said:

Oh I think your doing a great job. I just don't think we are going to get anywhere. I guess we'll see. 

DB

I suppose that depends on the definition of getting anywhere, DB.

I reckon that I'll get nowhere when it comes to actually persuading Ed of anything in this thread.

But his responses do get the forum 'somewhere' because other members and the lurkers can see his antics and take note of them.

I submit that threads like these are therefore useful and fall in line with the purposes of the forum.

But, if the Prof thinks otherwise, I'll yield.

Thanks,

Walter.

1 minute ago, walterpthefirst said:

reckon that I'll get nowhere when it comes to actually persuading Ed of anything in this thread.

But his responses do get the forum 'somewhere' because other members and the lurkers can see his antics and take note of them.

True enough. True enough. Carry on my friend. 

👀 

👄 

🍿  I'll be eating my popcorn and watching it all play out again 😆 

3 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

But this is a separate thought @walterpthefirst. Did you consider this when you were a believer? I didn't really give it any thought but he never said they would receive anything more than death.

No, like you DB I didn't actually read what scripture said when I was a believer.

I took my cue from the pastors and ministers in my church.

I was a good sheep in that I unthinkingly followed my spiritual shepherds.

Only years later, long after deconversion, am I gradually acquiring the skills to look at what scripture actually says.

Whereas I only used to see what my faith told me should be there or ought to be there - if I had enough faith to see it.

Curious that, don't you think?

I only began to see what was really there when I lost my faith.

I was blinded and now I see!

8 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

Curious that, don't you think?

I only began to see what was really there when I lost my faith.

I was blinded and now I see!

I've thought that so many times since my deconversion. I almost want to slap myself sometimes. How could I not have seen these issues. 

But when your in the faith I guess the last thing you want to do is question your Gods actions. 

Maybe that is whats going on with Ed. He could be fearful to even question those actions because after all he does have all power and authority. I think he sees the reasoning. But he can't completely let go of God. He's almost there. He just can't take that last step. 

DB

I would not care to speculate what is going on in Ed's heart and mind, DB.

Thank you,

Walter.  

6 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

I would not care to speculate what is going on in Ed's heart and mind, DB.

Thank you,

Walter.  

I like speculating 🙂

• Haha 1

Edward, seriously, 

2 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Got it, god is responsible for the sin of mankind. But instead of getting the problem stopped asap - which would be the responsible conclusion of being the responsible parent - the god lets the spoiled rotten little shits rant and rave without pause for the next six or seven thousand years or so...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

Walter,

He's already admitted that logically speaking, yes, his God is an ass. But he has the right to be so because he created everything. 

So it doesn't matter what argument we come up with about God's unfair actions and lies. God as an ass because he can and no one can do anything about it. 

Atleast he admits that much. He's not really a "true believer" anyway. I don't know how much more of your time you want to waste on reasoning with someone that is ok with the unreasonable actions of an omni God like the one in the bible.

Ya really can't make a sound argument with someone that takes a stance like that. I'm wondering if we can veer this thread into a more productive direction. 

DB

Don’t be mistaken DB, I wholeheartedly am a believer.  Thx

Just now, Edgarcito said:

Ok.... fair enough.  We are still glad to have ya. 

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, walterpthefirst said:

But, if the Prof thinks otherwise, I'll yield.

The Prof does not think otherwise.  By all means, Sir, proceed.

• Super Moderator
7 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

It's amazing to me that yesterday I was speculating on the Bible and because it speaks to my unique individuality as it does yours, and should, that mine in not allowed and yours is seemingly without flaw.  One of the studied members here suggests he considers something similar and it's allowed.  I see it as an ugly bias.  It's reasonable give the reason for the website.....and the particular sub-forum.  It just comes across as hypocrisy on many levels.

It never seems to amaze me how these dipshit christians come onto our website bitching about bias and unequal treatment, as though the shared humanity of deconversion, disillusionment, and religious trauma that binds us together as a community is somehow supposed to be magically extended to those who have never experienced it and mock us for having done so.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Got it, god is responsible for the sin of mankind. But instead of getting the problem stopped asap - which would be the responsible conclusion of being the responsible parent - the god lets the spoiled rotten little shits rant and rave without pause for the next six or seven thousand years or so...

Nah he just did that for 4000 years. Or so. Then sent his son to show them the "right" way. And I guess he just gave up after that and went on vacay for a couple thousand while his kids play in the sand box he created. Waiting on him to come back. 

Ya gotta love dear ole dad 🤣 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Mmmmmm by the way. Walt asked you another question. 

4 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

Could you please just answer the questions? You lied about the game. So the least you could do is get this thread back on track. I'm gonna ask you to. So me and Walt are waiting on the same answer. 

Shouldn't the child be punished for something he/she wasn't responsible for? 

DB

1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

Mmmmmm by the way. Walt asked you another question. 

Could you please just answer the questions? You lied about the game. So the least you could do is get this thread back on track. I'm gonna ask you to. So me and Walt are waiting on the same answer. 

Shouldn't the child be punished for something he/she wasn't responsible for? 

DB

I was at a wedding.  Is that ok?  And I haven’t lied about anything.  We just haven’t done the exercise yet.  It’s possible with today’s technology to look at my phone between chores and make a comment or two.  That doesn’t mean I going to devote the day to the exchange.  Thx.