Goodbye Jesus

Five Questions That Christians Can't Answer

euphgeek

:twitch: Thanks for the numbers Jun,(and Hans) they are staggering. I wonder why people allow a god to hold them (sinners) to a higher standard then he holds himself.

And why are they protecting him? Why are they working so hard to whitewash the evil acts of the OT God? From what I understand the stories in there is to show that God is not a perfect or all loving God. There's a discrepancy between the OT God and the Jesus' NT God. They're not the same, but the Christian is forced to try to put this square God into a round hole, and they're trying so hard and can't realize how stupid it looks from the outside. (And the more I see of these things, the harder it is to me to understand that I used to do this too!)

And if you notice - Jesus came so that we could be forgiven and go to heaven because if it were down to the OT God then we'd all be toast.

So in other words, even the loving side of the Bible God is only necessary because the original OT God was such a bastard. Now we have an insane, schizophrenic God who is trying to save us from himself. :lmao:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• Jun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which reminds me. When Jesus (supposedly) died, there would be some maggot infestation present (after 8-20 hours?). Did those maggots get transfigured to and went with him to Heaven to sit on God's right side? And talking about infestation, the human body consists to a large extent of foreign bacteria, parasites etc (I don't know the number), but I think it's quite a bit. Did all that stuff go with him in the sky too? Maybe he introduced the cholera, pest and smallpox, so the whole armada of angels and "witnesses" are now dead-dead (off to the next Heaven) and the Christian's will only find a desolate ghost Heaven when they get there... oh, that's right, they are the ghosts... forgot.

:funny:

Now that's a thought I've never had! That's too funny! Catholics love to worship relics that touched the Lord, like his burial clothes and whatnot. Sacred Maggots. Resurrected Sacred Maggots nonetheless. Maybe when he got zapped to come back to live they were killed? Who knows? Who will ever really know? Only Jesus knows what happened to parasites that had communion of his actual flesh and actual blood. The true disciples of Jesus. The Maggots of the Lord.

So if we have communion are we Maggots?

shades of The Kurgan

Father! Forgive me! I am but a WORM!

There must be a connection there, we are but worms, and the maggots infested Jesus... eating his flesh and drinking his blood. :eek: CHRISTIANS ARE MAGGOTS!!!

I wonder if they found any traces of the zapped maggots in the shroud... :shrug:

I wonder if they found any traces of the zapped maggots in the shroud... :shrug:

Yes, it's those inexplicable little spots they thought was just water stains. No! They are the stains of the Lord's Ascended Maggots. "Onward Blessed Maggots, eating rotting meat..."

Ok, I'll take a break from posting while under the influence of beer.... :beer:

Ok, I'll take a break from posting while under the influence of beer.... :beer:

Beer sounds good. I'll be back later. I hope I have some left of the Arrogant Bastard Ale...

Arrogant_Bastard_Ale_resized200.gif

You can only drink it if you're worthy.

A-man, et.al. if you like dark beer and dislike yellow-dishwater-beer, and you haven't tried ABA, then you must.

Animation to show you how serious it is for a fizzy yellow beer drinker to try the arrogance: http://www.arrogantbastard.com/animated/index.html

People love to mischaracterize God. God is this, and God is that. If someone wants to enter into a serious discussion about God and the bible, I would enjoy that. And I would be happy to explain things to them. The problem is people have made up their minds about a God they profess to not know (personally) and don't believe in. That sounds a little silly to me when you put that into the context of making bold assertions that millions of people for thousands of years disagree with.

If anyone wants answer to their question or thoughts about God, let them post them one or two at a time, and I'll answer them, but they have to do it without all of the rhetoric. For instance, if you want to know about God making man in his image, don't ask me if God has a dick You could just as easily ask, does God have the same physical features that we do. And the answer is yes and no. First and foremost, God is a spirit, and God is beyond 3 dimensional limitations, therefore God does not look like us. However, if God were to appear in physical form, he could have any feature he wants.

Now, when you look at it in that context, is it not silly to ask if God has a dick? I would expect that from a 13 year old.

So, bring your questions on. Test me. Take a serious look at what I have to offer.

People love to mischaracterize God. God is this, and God is that.

Mischaracterized in what way?

If anyone wants answer to their question or thoughts about God, let them post them one or two at a time, and I'll answer them, but they have to do it without all of the rhetoric.

Fine, start with the 5 at the beginning of this tread..... We're waiting.

So, bring your questions on. Test me. Take a serious look at what I have to offer.

sure... answer the 5 questions first. Thanks

People love to mischaracterize Go--
I'ma hafta stop y' there. Y'know what that sentence reminds me of? This song by Nelly, where the first line goes "I'm a sucka' for cornrows and manicured toes--" Why does it remind me of that? Because I used to like it, till someone pointed out to me how stupid that line sounded with the term "manicured toes" in it, as opposed to pedicured toes, because after all, one doesn't manicure toes.

The reason I bring it up is because in your sentence, you say people mischaracterize god ( I assume you mean in the straw man fashion), but the problem is that you, like most christians will admit that god is for the most part beyond our comprehension, which renders practically any attempt to describe god a mischaracterization, meaning that that sentence is pointless. The description(s) of god that we use are the minimal ones given to us by the bible, and we tend to work from that, unlike you, so mischaracterized though the god we speak of may be, it's certainly closer to whatever the reality is than anything you might be about to say.

If anyone wants answer to their question or thoughts about God, let them post them one or two at a time, and I'll answer them, but they have to do it without all of the rhetoric. For instance, if you want to know about God making man in his image, don't ask me if God has a dick You could just as easily--
And what's with this crap? You come down and say this:
But you act like you really can't do that at all.

I mean, who cares how a sentence is phrased? If you know the true intent behind it, then answer the question! What's the matter, you can't handle a little ribbing? You're trying to be a defender of the faith? Then BE that; I'm pretty sure god doesn't need pussies in his army.

Paul is believed to have died in 64AD during the Neronian pursecution, so it's safe to say that the letters attributed to him written after the first century were, in fact, not written by Paul. Neither are they in Paul's writing style as Romans, I & II Corinthians, Galatians, Philippians, I Thessalonians, and Philemon are, which are known Pauline epistles. Biblical scholars know Paul didn't write Ephesians, II Thessalonians, I Timothy, II Timothy, and Titus; they are forgeries. Collosians Pauline authorship is widely debated, though, the majority of biblical scholars say that it is more than likely not Pauline, due to the difference in vocabulary, style and general slant.

Why would your god allow forgeries as his word?

People love to mischaracterize God. God is this, and God is that. If someone wants to enter into a serious discussion about God and the bible, I would enjoy that. And I would be happy to explain things to them. The problem is people have made up their minds about a God they profess to not know (personally) and don't believe in. That sounds a little silly to me when you put that into the context of making bold assertions that millions of people for thousands of years disagree with.

If anyone wants answer to their question or thoughts about God, let them post them one or two at a time, and I'll answer them, but they have to do it without all of the rhetoric. For instance, if you want to know about God making man in his image, don't ask me if God has a dick You could just as easily ask, does God have the same physical features that we do. And the answer is yes and no. First and foremost, God is a spirit, and God is beyond 3 dimensional limitations, therefore God does not look like us. However, if God were to appear in physical form, he could have any feature he wants.

Now, when you look at it in that context, is it not silly to ask if God has a dick? I would expect that from a 13 year old.

Let's start with some basics and go from there:

Who or what is god?

Why do you believe in god, and why do you believe in your particular god?

Why do you believe that your holy book is inspired by god?

Do you honestly believe that your god created mankind in an awesome garden out of a lump of dirt? Do you honestly believe that god made the first woman from the rib of the man that he magically created out of a lump of dirt? Do you honestly believe that a talking snake deceived the rib-woman into eating some magic fruit from a magic tree?

I have never mischaracterized god as far as I know. According to the bible, god is a murderous, genocidal maniac who makes Hitler look like a saint by comparison. If you believe otherwise, explain why. Thanks.

I haven't read through this thread, but if you are going to participate here, you will have to put up with being exposed to inconvenient facts about your god and your holy book (what I am assuming that you call "rhetoric"). Expecting to participate here without being exposed to a great deal of truth and facts about your god, your religion, and your holy book would be like me going to a Christian forum and expecting not to be exposed to Christian mythology and assurances that if I don't accept Christian mythology as literally true that I'm going to be barbecued for eternity by a "loving" god. Got it?

God actually does have a dick, and it is enormous! Glory! Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/missus_gumby/erection.htm

I would love to debate you and "test" you. I look forward to it! Glory!

Most of us here are former Christians who have taken a very serious look at what you have to offer. We have rejected it because we have become aware of the fact that what you have to offer has no demonstrable basis in reality and it isn't true.

Wishful,

To add to what Brother Jeff has written:

Most of us know more about your religion than you do. We have Ex-Pastors, people with degrees in Religion, former seminary, theology, and Bible college students, and at the very least, those of us who are very well read. If you think we are simply a bunch of disgruntled Christians, who have a beef with god, you are sadly mistaken and have grossly underestimated us.

I'm not sure if you are arrogant because you are used to getting your ass kissed all the time or you are just an immature know-it-all, but none-the-less we have dealt with Christians who are much more versed in aplogetics than you are and have handed them their ass on a platter.

I would suggest that if you want the thread to at least stay on topic, you start a thread in the Colloseum, where the threads are moderated. You did, of course, read our rules, didn't you?

Taph

You mean the bold assertions theologians are making about God and they can't even agree? Is that the confused and chaotic characterization that we are misrepresenting? To misrepresent something, we first have to have a basic characterization that you can point to that is commonly accepted. But since there's 30,000 cults of Christianity, and not all of them agree about the trinity, or 3 parts body/soul/spirit or other stuff, then who are you to say anyone is mis-characterizing anything? We're only misrepresenting YOUR particular version of the God view, and that's why you feel hurt.

And also, is God knowable or unknowable? If God exists, I think you can't really understand him or really know how or what he is, but you claim you can know God's character and know his attributes. Isn't that a very bold statement from such a small, insignificant and finite being like you? Isn't such a prideful attitude a sin? Well, if it isn't, maybe it should be.

Okay.

Why

Okay, can you please explain why God tells Moses in the burning bush that his true name is Jahweh, and that Abraham did not know him by that name, and yet we can read earlier in the same book that Abraham calls on the name Jahweh. That is a very serious and basic theological question, and yet I haven't heard anyone give me an answer yet. I asked that question 4-5 times already this week, and yet no answer. Btw, I didn't know this until a Theologian brought it up himself, and his answer was that this is an example of how the Bible is a work of man and not of God.

So if you agree that the Bible is a work of man, then how can you claim that the Bible has, undoubtedly, the only and true characterization of God? If man can't do it, as you claim earlier, how can now suddenly man do it in a 2000 year old book?

But if you don't agree that it is a work of man, but a work of God, then how come the discrepancy? How come the obvious contradiction?

People love to mischaracterize God. God is this, and God is that. If someone wants to enter into a serious discussion about God and the bible, I would enjoy that. And I would be happy to explain things to them.

I'm gonna have to stop you right here and point out something you may not like to hear...I've heard plenty of Christians say this and what it amounts to is that we are allowed to ask a question about god, then you will give a canned response from some apologist that I have read a dozen times. Then I say, "ok I've heard that response and I disagree because of 'x'" Then you will get huffy and tell me you answered my question and the only reason I don't accept the answer is because I hate god or some such nonsense...

Our questions are posed to show you that your picture of doesn't make sense, I doubt you will convince me that the Christian god is real, it is unlikely you will provide an answer I haven't already heard and rejected. The fact that you accept the same answer I reject simply means you aren't as logical as you clearly think you are.

The problem is people have made up their minds about a God they profess to not know (personally) and don't believe in. That sounds a little silly to me when you put that into the context of making bold assertions that millions of people for thousands of years disagree with.

I've made up my mind that said god doesn't exist because the very concept is a contradiction...if that is what you mean?

And your, millions of people disagree with me clap trap is an obvious logical fallacy... You disagree with Hinduism do you not? yet that religion is even older than Judaism and is believed by even more people than Christianity.... Do you think before you write this stuff? because you need to start.

I never asked this question....and I can't think of anyone here who did... and your answer doesn't make any logical sense anyway. You can't even prove there is such a thing as "spirit" in the first place so you might as well say god looks like a unicorn or a fairy. You can't explain anything by relying on make believe concepts.

You? offer us something? I've taken a very serious look and the works of very serious apologists and theologians...if they couldn't answer my questions to satisfaction what makes you think you can? If you can answer that question then maybe I'll ask you something.

wishful,

I have a question. Since it's quite clear that one size does not fit all, why the fuck do you care that people for whom the Jesus meme didn't work left the faith?'

Who or what is god?

the supreme or ultimate reality (I think that sums it up.)

After years and years of carefully considering Christianity, and other religions, Christianity is the one that answers every question better than the rest (Obviously this is my opinion and anyone can disagree, and this subject would contain volumes, as does a belief in evolution which is why I don't fault anyone for believing in it, but when they don't acknowledge that it is a faith, then there is a problem.) There are more reasons but those do indeed fall under the category of personal revelation. If one does not seek, one may not find. And in seeking, one should keep seeking lest they give up too soon.

The bible lists miracles, prophecies, and and tons of corroborable historical events. I know of no other text with so many proven prophecies, ie. prophecies that were fulfilled.

Do you honestly believe that your god created mankind in an awesome garden out of a lump of dirt? Do you honestly believe that god made the first woman from the rib of the man that he magically created out of a lump of dirt? Do you honestly believe that a talking snake deceived the rib-woman into eating some magic fruit from a magic tree?

You've been doing good so far. Here the rhetoric is beginning to be injected. Imagine a scientist describing evolution that way. Anyways, I believe what the bible says.

I feel that I did not mischaracterized god as far as I know. According to the bible, god is a murderous, genocidal maniac who makes Hitler look like a saint by comparison. If you believe otherwise, explain why. Thanks.

God is just, and his punishments are just. Consider the potter and the pot. Does not the potter have total authority to take the pot that was made, and destroy it? We must not make ourselves out to be more than we are. We are created, and God is the creator, and in that context, there is nothing in the bible that God did that was unjust.

I haven't read through this thread, but if you are going to participate here, you will have to put up with being exposed to inconvenient facts about your god and your holy book (what I am assuming that you call "rhetoric"). Expecting to participate here without being exposed to a great deal of truth and facts about your god, your religion, and your holy book would be like me going to a Christian forum and expecting not to be exposed to Christian mythology and assurances that if I don't accept Christian mythology as literally true that I'm going to be barbecued for eternity by a "loving" god. Got it?

Facts are fine, but saying things like, "Does God have a dick which I see as an attempt to offend and derail the debate are unnecessary. I love to debate, and I'll go back and forth with ya for years on end, but I think we can keep this to an adult level. I'm not saying I haven't said some things I shouldn't have said. We have to work together.

Thanks

"God is just, and his punishments are just. Consider the potter and the pot. Does not the potter have total authority to take the pot that was made, and destroy it? We must not make ourselves out to be more than we are. We are created, and God is the creator, and in that context, there is nothing in the bible that God did that was unjust."

So, wiping out people who's only 'sin' is to be living in the wrong place is 'just'? surely moving them on would have been easier than killing them. What had the babies of Egypt done to warrent dying? A potter may destroy a pot, but wiping out sentient beings is an order of magnitude or two different. I bet you're a hoot when someone miscarries... 'God's will, just deal with it...'

Seems you are incapable of pulling something new out the hat, btw... the potter and the pot analogy is as old as the tales of the bloody handed demon you worship...

After years and years of carefully considering Christianity, and other religions, Christianity is the one that answers every question better than the rest

Chrisitianity doesn't answer any questions, it proposes supernatural explanations for things it can't understand. It poses sophisticated methods of avoiding the truth and builds elaborate fantasies in place of reality.

Brother Junpei! TESTIFY!!!!

After years and years of carefully considering Christianity, and other religions, Christianity is the one that answers every question better than the rest (Obviously this is my opinion and anyone can disagree, and this subject would contain volumes, as does a belief in evolution which is why I don't fault anyone for believing in it, but when they don't acknowledge that it is a faith, then there is a problem.) There are more reasons but those do indeed fall under the category of personal revelation. If one does not seek, one may not find. And in seeking, one should keep seeking lest they give up too soon.

Arrogance at it's finest. You don't believe any of us here honestly sought out answers? You don't believe any of us here are still seeking out answers? I will always the rest of my life be looking for answers. Can you give us a quick synopsis of " Christianity answering every question better" Such as what questions?

The bible lists miracles, prophecies, and and tons of corroborable historical events. I know of no other text with so many proven prophecies, ie. prophecies that were fulfilled.

What Prophecies have been fulfilled....?

You've been doing good so far. Here the rhetoric is beginning to be injected. Imagine a scientist describing evolution that way. Anyways, I believe what the bible says.

Is this to say you're a bible literalist?

God is just, and his punishments are just. Consider the potter and the pot. Does not the potter have total authority to take the pot that was made, and destroy it? We must not make ourselves out to be more than we are. We are created, and God is the creator, and in that context, there is nothing in the bible that God did that was unjust.

Wow.... so by rights parents have the right to kill their offspring, Beings though they created them? Is this how I'm to take it? Justice is whatever god decides and isn't measured by what's right or wrong? God can create someone an Egyptian and then murder them because they are Egyptian? You call this justice? Your god wouldn't be considered just in a human court... yet you blindly follow his bloodshed and justify his murder spree. Dare I say if someone like Manson indoctrinated you, you don't have the brains to decipher right from wrong or question. What ever you lay allegiance to, they are right just because. People with your mindset are extremely dangerous. Would you murder for god?

Consider the potter and the pot. Does not the potter have total authority to take the pot that was made, and destroy it?

So you're pro choice then?

Christianity answering every question better" Such as what questions?

His answers will be the typical Christian ones:

How was the world created? - God did it.

Where did we come from? - God did it.

Why is there pain and suffering? - God did it.

Why are evil acts carried out, even by people who are generally good? - God did it.

Why are some babies born with deformities? - God did it.

Why is petrol so expensive these days? - God did it.

Why are there disease and famine? - God did it.

Christianity answering every question better" Such as what questions?

His answers will be the typical Christian ones:

How was the world created? - God did it.

Where did we come from? - God did it.

Why is there pain and suffering? - God did it.

Why are evil acts carried out, even by people who are generally good? - God did it.

Why are some babies born with deformities? - God did it.

Why is petrol so expensive these days? - God did it.

Why are there disease and famine? - God did it.

LoL Perhaps so, but those aren't better answers, those are non-answers. :HaHa:

the supreme or ultimate reality (I think that sums it up.)

Again, stringing words together doesn't automatically cause them to make sense, what does "ultimate reality" mean? it is a phrase totally devoid of meaning as far as I can see.

If you truly believe Christianity's answers are better at explaining reality than everything else then I pity you. And a belief in evolution is NOT faith...do you even read the dictionary? Faith is belief without evidence and there is a great deal of evidence for evolution, unlike your religion. In any case, even were evolution false it wouldn't make your religion true by default

Care to give an example....here we go down that road, you'll give one, I'll explain patiently why that really isn't a prophecy or really wasn't fulfilled and you'll start with you're own brand of rhetoric saying that I refuse to believe because I hate god or something.

You call this rhetoric, but it is actually pretty close to the original story, God made man out of dirt, then woman out of a rib..... You act like the story only seems silly because of the way it was worded :scratch:

Another one of the bibles fallacious analogies, Pots do not have feelings, or thoughts, a pot cannot complain because it is not sentient, A better analogy would be the relationship between a master and a slave. Would you think that a master had the right to kill a slave anytime he choose to? after all the slave is his property right? Besides all you are doing is moving the goal post. You say God is good...we say "look at all the bad things he did." Then you say, but god can do what ever he wants and its still justified.

Well then why the hell did you bother calling God good if He is the one who gets to make up the rules? It would be like praising me for always winning a game I made up, and that I changed the rules to every time it looked like I might lose.

Facts are fine, but saying things like, "Does God have a dick which I see as an attempt to offend and derail the debate are unnecessary. I love to debate, and I'll go back and forth with ya for years on end, but I think we can keep this to an adult level. I'm not saying I haven't said some things I shouldn't have said. We have to work together.

Well I'll ask you again since you didn't see fit to answer my question the first time. I've taken a very serious look and the works of very serious apologists and theologians...if they couldn't answer my questions to satisfaction what makes you think you can? If you can answer that question then maybe I'll ask you something.

So why do you think this? there isn't any point in asking any other questions until you can answer this one. You assume that I haven't read up on bible prophecy or apologetics or Christian history...and the fact is that I am well read in these subjects, and rejected Christianity in part because all attempts to prove it true seem like smoke and mirrors. I've never seen a real bible prophecy fullfiled, and I bet I've read the bible more than you have, unless you are a very rare Christian.