Goodbye Jesus

Five Questions That Christians Can't Answer

euphgeek

When I use the same historical methods for the bible and for the event of the resurrection as I methods historians use for other ancient documents, I find that it is very very likely that jesus did rise from the dead. I guess when all is said and done, it's just to hard for a devout athiest to accept it :shrug:

According to my dictionairy there are three definitions of "devout":

1. Deeply religious; pious.

2. Displaying reverence or piety.

3. Sincere; earnest

(American Heritage Dictionary Second College Edition)

I put forward that in common usage, a "devout athiest" is an oxymoron. This is because the order of the definitions , for a word with more than one, is based not on history or frequency but on central meaning. Devout can mean sincere, but the central meaning remains religious based. Athiesim is the absence of theisim or belief in a god. If, however, you are saying we are all sincere or earnest in our thoughts and meanings I thank you for the compliment.

I would suggest as an alternative you use "committed athiest" or just "athiest" as additional description leads to ambiguity in this case.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• Jun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I use the same historical methods for the bible and for the event of the resurrection as I methods historians use for other ancient documents, I find that it is very very likely that jesus did rise from the dead. I guess when all is said and done, it's just to hard for a devout athiest to accept it :shrug:

Really? So enlighten me - what archeological evidence have you discovered? What texts have you found - from unbiased, non-spiritual sources (preferably some official history of the Roman Empire) - that support what is in the New Testament?

I'm really interested in your findings that come from examining the New Testament texts as a historian would.

By the way - do you know anything about the actual theories that actual historians have about the texts of the New Testament? Or are you just pissing into the wind?

Oh :Doh: of course, I already know the answer to that one!

Great, another fruit cake with Internet access... I blame the rise of Plastic TFT screens... in the places I've been 'a guest', they won't let you near the photocopier...

Guest SecondSight

A boat is carrying a passenger and the passenger decides to jump off the ship and take a swim despite the warnings of the crew. The passenger is trapped in a current and cannot escape. The captain throws him the buoy but the passenger insists that he can manage to swim to shore on his own and pushes away the buoy.

You see how that works?

A boat is carrying a passenger and the passenger decides to jump off the ship and take a swim despite the warnings of the crew. The passenger is trapped in a current and cannot escape. The captain throws him the buoy but the passenger insists that he can manage to swim to shore on his own and pushes away the buoy.

You see how that works?

Is the point of your post to convey a person is trying to commit suicide?

So what is the moral oblation's of the sea caption? To let a possible emotional unstable person off themselves or to allow him to drown because of his illness? The sea caption is under obligation to protect the lives of his crew and passengers ahead of his own life, or are you suggesting something else?

See how simple life isn't?

Holy Mother of God...

Can we have an IP check on that sucker?

You see how that works?

Could you imagine if a Captain of a ship on say, a Disney Cruise Line just threw out a bouy or a life preserver to someone who had just jumped ship than expect the person to save himself? Are you freaking kidding us?

I just realized how old this is so I deleted my response to someone that hasnt posted in almost a year..

dumbass me

You see how that works?

In what context?

The boat is burning and it is a oil tanker. It will explode any minute and the safest place is far, far away. But yet the captain on the boat wants to pull the "escapees" back so they will die in the explosion too?

Or, it's a slave ship, and the people who jumped were slaves that managed to escape the cells...

So again, in what context?

Do you see how that works?

You see how that works?

In what context?

Why, Mr. Solo, I had no trouble making the connection whatsoever. The context is completely transparent.

The passenger who jumps off the ship in spite of the warnings of the crew is a newly converted Jesusite. His "jumping off the ship" is obviously representative of the moment when one accepts Jesus into their life as LORD AND SAVIOR.

The current from which the passenger cannot escape is religion. He's caught up in it and struggling. And he feels like he's going down.

We are, of course, the captain. And we hate to see people so utterly fucked up. So we toss the poor sap a buoy. The buoy, of course, represents reason and rationality. But the christian fails to grasp it. Because he's been told the water isn't really that deep and the shore isn't as far away as it looks.

This secondsight fella has some awesome insights.

Apparently the Word ain't the only thing as sharp as a two-edged sword...

Guest SecondSight

A lot of resentment and bitterness flowing in this forum, huh?

I didn't post anything that attacked anybody, and yet you jump on me because I don't share your views.

I could throw some R-rated words at you but I'll just keep it G

I see there's no convincing any of you but remember: it's not too late to change your mind and eternity is a long time to be wrong. Ignoring the writing on the wall is never a good idea.

Is that supposed to cow us into submission, or something? Sheesh. "Booga booga!" to you, too, SecondSight.

For the record I, Myself have already opted for Hell. On purpose. Read this. No fucking way I want anything to do with that nutcase Biblegod. I prefer sane and compassionate deities, not psychopathic attention whores addicted to blood sacrifices.

And yes, there is indeed mass quantities of resentment and bitterness flowing in this forum. That's one of the reasons I like this place so much: We can tell people like you to get stuffed.

As to "writing on the wall", it continues to baffle Me why Christian apologists come romping in here to post without taking the time to find out what Ex-C is all about. (Hint: It isn't called "willcomebacktojebusanydaynow.com")

I see there's no convincing any of you [snip]

Resentment? Yes. Bitterness? No.

Why are you trying to "convince" anybody to return to the enslavement of Xianity?

Did you read anyone's story? Do you know and understand anyone on this forum?

No, you don't. You are just like EVERY OTHER FUCKING FUNDY ASSHOLE who comes in here ASSUMING that you know everything when you know absolutely NOTHING.

Xians who actually know us are smart enough to realize that they have NO answers for us. You're just too goddamn afraid of the questions to even begin to ask.

I WASTED 18 years of my life as a hardcore Xian and that is what I resent. I'm not bitter though, that'll kill ya. My life is mine to grab by the horns now.

I didn't post anything that attacked anybody, and yet you jump on me because I don't share your views.

I see there's no convincing any of you but remember: it's not too late to change your mind and eternity is a long time to be wrong. Ignoring the writing on the wall is never a good idea.

Wow...

Not only a *rated* sort, but "keeping it G rated" at that..

Goodiesfoofoo for you Second. No one regulates your speach here when kept topical in sections where appropriate.

As far as the silly "It's never too late" bullshit, take it where someone cares to hear it.

If you want to try and answer some of the hard core questioning asked this thread, do so without the same silly carping crap we've heard, taught, believed, and DISCARDED years past.

You want to try and turn a flinty heart back to your god? Then you'd frackin' better well have more than Pascal's and a 'nanner in your hands..

Personal note.. "Piss off" when referring to any loss, pain or dis-anything I have lost due to my time in the rank and file of the xtian religious mind fucks I willing was part of. You have no ability to know, or *feel* the agony that broke my attachment to the Christian Death Cults.

Keep your "shotgunned" statements a bit better aimed amigo. You know so little of with whom you are speaking to.

kFL

You want to try and turn a flinty heart back to your god? Then you'd frackin' better well have more than Pascal's and a 'nanner in your hands.

:lmao: Quoted for truth.

What are you 12? Or are you just used to getting your ass kissed all the time? We don't even kiss each others ass. We are adults here, either grow up or go somewhere else.

Speaking strictly for myself: Resentment? YES. Bitterness? YES. And for damned good reason. I resent the HELL out of the fact that years of involvement in fanatic fundamentalist religion robbed me of my youth and caused my suffering from the then undiagnosed bipolar disorder I have to be MUCH worse than it had to have been. And your damned right I'm bitter about it, and for good reason.

No, there's no convincing me that your ridiculous religious myths have any basis in REALITY. You have NO facts and NO credible evidence with which to prop up your absurd beliefs. So FUCK YOU and FUCK your evil, murderous, genocidal maniac of a god.

There isn't any good reason why I should change my mind. To do so would be to willingly choose not to use my mind - to willfully put it into neutral and throw it away. I did that for years while I let other people tell me what to believe and why I should believe it. When I finally WOKE THE FUCK UP and started investigating my beliefs for myself and then discovered what a CROCK OF SHIT I had bought into for 15 years of my life, I was FUCKING PISSED OFF not just at myself for being so gullible, but at the Christian church for deliberately and intentionally deceiving me and many thousands of other people - which is just EVIL.

When we die, we DIE. There is no god and no afterlife and no "eternity" to worry about. And I'm not the slightest bit worried about being "wrong". ALL of the facts and evidence available supports my position, not yours. So FUCK YOU. You can CRAM YOUR FEAR-BASED HELL THREAT UP YOUR FUNDIE ASS!! (which is probably loose from being fucked so often by Jesus).

FUCK YOU, FUNDIE ASSHOLE.

Is that "R-rated" enough for you?

Glory!

All praise him! Hail Kryasst the Lard!

Look up the word 'patronising' in the dictionary - and then come back and say that you never attacked anyone.

"you see how that works?" - jumped-up idiot!

Usually, you fruitcake, the writing on the wall is something like '<fill in the name> Iz Gay! TRUE!'... maybe the places you hang out, the writing on the wall is more of the country cottage variety...

What are you 12? Or are you just used to getting your ass kissed all the time? We don't even kiss each others ass. We are adults here, either grow up or go somewhere else.

I tend to avoid asking what goes on between consenting adults, but I do find that statement hard to credit :fdevil:

And because you think you are the "captain of the ship" in your little story, you are going to throw us a lifesaver and haul us back into your fundie ship of horrors?

Get lost, condescending little child, you don't even know who you are talking to.

I see there's no convincing any of you but remember: it's not too late to change your mind and eternity is a long time to be wrong.

Thank you so much for your concern, little christ worshipper. But fear not about my eternity.

I plan on spending the time catching up on my sleep.

It's been a while and I was tired of ranting all the time, but this...

For fuck's sake, there ARE NO fucking ships with benevolent captains waiting to throw me or anyone else here a lifeline. There are only assholes who cannot bear to imagine that they DON'T have all the answers. There are multitudes of dickheads who are parochially naive, stupid to the extreme and culturally as backward as any hillbilly from the fucking Ozarks.

Face it, xtian assholes. EVERY one of us has had enough of your vapid bullshit to last us a lifetime, and that was all BEFORE we ever found or joined a site like this. We got our fill of Jayzus bullshit... guess where...? IN THE CHURCH. Thanks a whole HELL of a lot, pal. We learned all about the power of your Ghostie when he 'moved' all of you to be so selfish, arrogant, prideful and petty. Oh, yeah... resentful? Fucking-A right. Bitter? Let's just say it's a good thing you are nowhere physically near me as you spout your shit.

By the way, Skip... They might bring Pascal's wager in their hands, but the 'nanner sure ain't in their hands.