Goodbye Jesus

What Good Has Atheism Done?

Guest amazed

Its possible that the reason infants were also killed is that this would have stopped the Israelites from acheiving victory in totally destroying this wicked culture and thereby stopping the spread of this evil.

Hitler used the same logic to justify the killing of the jews. Their culture was wicked, all the worlds ills were caused by them, letting them live would be immoral. He even claimed that he was doing god's work.

Huh? Are you saying the culture of the Jews in germany were wicked at the time of Hitler? Just because Hitler may have claimed to be doing God's work does not make it so. We would need to see what he was using to justify this before we can say he was doing God's work. Joshua certainly had good reasons to destroy the Cananites.

This guy can't be for real. Nobody can be that stupid and still use a computer to troll the internet.

I think it is a ringer set up by the board operators to keep things lively. Yeah, that's got to be it.

Oh, wait, I know! It's a bot! An artificial Stupidity bot! They are testing it! And we are the guinea pigs!

Has to be.

Nobody can be that stupid....

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Snakefoot

• Shyone

• NotBlinded

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are good questions and again i would have to do some research on this.

research? These are not questions that require research.

He means: Find out what some babble-thumping douchebag "scholar" has written about it then regurgitate here.

Original thought is not one of his strong suits.

I don't think its one of yours either

You help people in order to convert them. They are vulnerable, and you prey (NOT pray) on that. I've seen it happen. There's a big helping of xtian brainwashing next to that soup kitchen Thanksgiving turkey.

I don't think its one of yours either

Says the guy who claims to be nothing but nice to us......

You help people in order to convert them. They are vulnerable, and you prey (NOT pray) on that. I've seen it happen. There's a big helping of xtian brainwashing next to that soup kitchen Thanksgiving turkey.

i was watching a clip from Penn and teller and one of them (maybe both are atheist) and he was speaking about a time when a Christian came up to him and gave him a gospel track. He didn't lamblast him for doing so but applauded him even though he disagreed with his beliefs. He said he understood why the Christian would do this because if you thought someone was going to hell for not believing then out of love sake he should tell him. I was taken aback by this. Its not something i see in atheist that much.

If christianity is true then there is an obligation out of love to get the message out. If were wrong then were fools for spreading a lie.

Are these organizations you quote built on atheistic principles?

What are the "atheistic principles" you are referring to? That's the problem here. What do you mean with that phrase?

All the organizations I mentioned are based on non-religions ideas. That people have equal value, not because they were created by God, but by the mere idea that we are all humans with equal rights. It's non-religious idea, since it doesn't use God or religion to argue it.

i can sense your frustation. I'd be frustated to. So far we haven't seen any instutional agencies building hospitals or feeding the poor based on atheistic principles.

That's the thing. There are no "atheistic principles" to build upon.

You're asking a false question. You are asking: "Give me an example of a steering wheel made out of pure strawberry juice."

There are no organization that use what you call "atheistic principles." Atheism is the lack of something, not the gain of something.

You're in fact a form of an atheist too! You don't believe in Zeus, Allah, or Ahura Mazda, and therefore I must ask, what institutions can you give as examples begin based on azeus principles. If you can't answer that, then belief in Zeus must be true and good.

While we have many examples down through the centuries of Christians coming together to build hospitals, educating the poor and feeding them.

Like the Catholic Church or other heretic Christians? You're referring to the false Christians now or the true Christians? If a liberal Christians did something good, is that sign of good Christianity or false Christianity?

I am talking about actual charity, dickweed. NOT handing out jesus pamphlets. Charities want to indocrinate the people they help. There is always a catch. You sneak the message in there somewhere.

*Religious charities.

What he is asking for "What religious churches have been founded by atheists." And since we must answer "none," then automatically Christianity trumps Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Paganism, and Islam, but not Judaism. It's obvious. The logic is staggering!

i was watching a clip from Penn and teller and one of them (maybe both are atheist) and he was speaking about a time when a Christian came up to him and gave him a gospel track. He didn't lamblast him for doing so but applauded him even though he disagreed with his beliefs. He said he understood why the Christian would do this because if you thought someone was going to hell for not believing then out of love sake he should tell him. I was taken aback by this. Its not something i see in atheist that much.

If christianity is true then there is an obligation out of love to get the message out. If were wrong then were fools for spreading a lie.

If it's helping you and making you a better person, are you so foolish? I don't believe Christianity because I can't but I have no issues with Christians as such.

Are these organizations you quote built on atheistic principles?

What are the "atheistic principles" you are referring to? That's the problem here. What do you mean with that phrase?

All the organizations I mentioned are based on non-religions ideas. That people have equal value, not because they were created by God, but by the mere idea that we are all humans with equal rights. It's non-religious idea, since it doesn't use God or religion to argue it.

Who bestows this "rights" that makes us all equal? I'm sure you are aware of countries that the govt does not give equal rights out to everyone. What do you do in cases like this?

i can sense your frustation. I'd be frustated to. So far we haven't seen any instutional agencies building hospitals or feeding the poor based on atheistic principles.

That's the thing. There are no "atheistic principles" to build upon.

You're asking a false question. You are asking: "Give me an example of a steering wheel made out of pure strawberry juice."

There are no organization that use what you call "atheistic principles." Atheism is the lack of something, not the gain of something.

This is getting worse and worse as we get into it. Great things can be done when people of similar beliefs can come together in the name of something but it appears atheism lacks this kind of power. It shows you can't build great movements on such a system.

You're in fact a form of an atheist too! You don't believe in Zeus, Allah, or Ahura Mazda, and therefore I must ask, what institutions can you give as examples begin based on azeus principles. If you can't answer that, then belief in Zeus must be true and good.

Not sure what you are getting at here.

While we have many examples down through the centuries of Christians coming together to build hospitals, educating the poor and feeding them.

Like the Catholic Church or other heretic Christians? You're referring to the false Christians now or the true Christians? If a liberal Christians did something good, is that sign of good Christianity or false Christianity?

Even though i may disagree with many other forms of Christianity they still have more power to do good and offer hop than atheism does.

Even though i may disagree with many other forms of Christianity they still have more power to do good and offer hop than atheism does.

Give an example of an help organization started on azeus principles. Then we can talk.

I am talking about actual charity, dickweed. NOT handing out jesus pamphlets. Charities want to indocrinate the people they help. There is always a catch. You sneak the message in there somewhere.

Are you saying all Christian charities do this? Secondly, is it not true that most people who need charity need more than just physical material for their needs? If so, what do you tell them as an atheist when they feel depressed and without hope? What would you say to encourage them?

Give an example of an help organization started on azeus principles. Then we can talk.

i don't know of any.

Tandy Corp!

Back in the 1990s, Tandy was developing a PC clone. It's R&D project code name: Azeus

True, I swear to Bob.

What he is asking for "What religious churches have been founded by atheists." And since we must answer "none," then automatically Christianity trumps Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Paganism, and Islam, but not Judaism. It's obvious. The logic is staggering!

You misunderstand me. I'm not asking "What religious churches have been founded by atheists" but how does atheism lead to charity? What principles within the doctrines of atheism leads one to charity?

International League of Humanists. Est. 1974. by atheists.

Principles:

THE WORK PRINCIPLES OF

INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE OF HUMANISTS

The International League of Humanists activities and operations are based on humanistic principles which present a base for its universal operations.

HUMANISTIC TENETS:

1. Respect historical heritage and preserve life on Earth

The humane civilization of the future world without wars can not be built without inheritances of accumulated centuries and the scientific achievements from present days. To preserve life on the Earth is the first humanistic tenet.

2. To affirm the human equality

The natural right is aspiration for every man to live freely and safely in righteous and peaceful world. Equality is the best answer to every form of repression, violence, poverty, the uncertainty which might jeopardize the world. The rights of man the governments must respect. People have right for the great heritages of civilization.

3. To affirm the human freedoms

This humanistic principle means freedom for everybody, no matter on their nationality, religion, race, class and ideology.

4. Expand solidarity

To live, work and act together in order to build better life it is possible only if we spread the solidarity among the people.

5. Seek for truth

It is not possible to achieve something if the truth is lacking. Truth is foundation tenet for building the humane civilization. Path to the truth is often hard, but it is condition if want to live according to the principles.

6. Direct a social development towards the general welfare

The movement will be deceived for those programs which guaranty a safe life on the Earth without any biological, chemical, genetical or other damages.

7. Cherish the beauty of art

This tenet is directed to the creative inspirations which can pull all of us from this global mortuary.

8. Promote humanistic principles in legal regulations

From our harts we support and accept the political pluralism as a tool for building democracy under the condition that every society accepts: equality, freedom, justice, peace, creativity, etc.

9. To reach the global settlement and harmony

The worlds’ humanists have promoted the universality inserted into human existence and creativity. The relations between the scientists and artists have over lived the politicians which are twisted and destroyed by the hegemonic manipulations. That is an assumption and sign to reach a global settlement and have harmony between the societies.

10. To be good

i don't know of any.

Then Zeus makes people good, and only if they believe in Zeus can they be good.

i don't know of any.

What historical evidence do you have that shows that Zeus existed?

Who bestows this "rights" that makes us all equal? I'm sure you are aware of countries that the govt does not give equal rights out to everyone. What do you do in cases like this?

What anyone does, they fight for equal rights.

It is what homosexuals are doing in this country right now, because people like yourself refuse them equal rights.

You misunderstand me. I'm not asking "What religious churches have been founded by atheists" but how does atheism lead to charity? What principles within the doctrines of atheism leads one to charity?

And you don't understand the parallel.

You are presenting a false dilemma in your question. No one starts an organization based on non-belief in something else. No one starts a "Helping the poor because we don't believe in the magical teapot circling Mars." The organizations that would come closest to what you're looking for are secular and humanist based organizations, and there are plenty. Humanism is a worldview. It's a philosophy. It has principles. And it's based on an atheistic core. Atheism is just a starting point.

Raelians and most Buddhists are atheists as well. Would a Raelian worlview match the Buddhist? Nope. But they are both atheists. Do you get the picture? Are there any Buddhist or Raelian help organizations? I don't know. Are there any secular or humanistic based organizations? Yup. Plenty.

Are there any organization that base their whole objective from atheism? Not really, except American Atheists, which promotes mostly atheism in general.

the evidence is no worse than the evidence Yahweh exists, or that Jesus was his incarnation. A lot of stories about him.

International League of Humanists. Est. 1974. by atheists.

Principles:

THE WORK PRINCIPLES OF

INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE OF HUMANISTS

The International League of Humanists activities and operations are based on humanistic principles which present a base for its universal operations.

HUMANISTIC TENETS:

1. Respect historical heritage and preserve life on Earth

The humane civilization of the future world without wars can not be built without inheritances of accumulated centuries and the scientific achievements from present days. To preserve life on the Earth is the first humanistic tenet.

2. To affirm the human equality

The natural right is aspiration for every man to live freely and safely in righteous and peaceful world. Equality is the best answer to every form of repression, violence, poverty, the uncertainty which might jeopardize the world. The rights of man the governments must respect. People have right for the great heritages of civilization.

3. To affirm the human freedoms

This humanistic principle means freedom for everybody, no matter on their nationality, religion, race, class and ideology.

4. Expand solidarity

To live, work and act together in order to build better life it is possible only if we spread the solidarity among the people.

5. Seek for truth

It is not possible to achieve something if the truth is lacking. Truth is foundation tenet for building the humane civilization. Path to the truth is often hard, but it is condition if want to live according to the principles.

6. Direct a social development towards the general welfare

The movement will be deceived for those programs which guaranty a safe life on the Earth without any biological, chemical, genetical or other damages.

7. Cherish the beauty of art

This tenet is directed to the creative inspirations which can pull all of us from this global mortuary.

8. Promote humanistic principles in legal regulations

From our harts we support and accept the political pluralism as a tool for building democracy under the condition that every society accepts: equality, freedom, justice, peace, creativity, etc.

9. To reach the global settlement and harmony

The worlds’ humanists have promoted the universality inserted into human existence and creativity. The relations between the scientists and artists have over lived the politicians which are twisted and destroyed by the hegemonic manipulations. That is an assumption and sign to reach a global settlement and have harmony between the societies.

10. To be good

What is the foundation for these principles? What does the humanist do when a country does not want to affirm the human equality of its citizens?

i don't know of any.

You mean that it's part of your argument? I thought the argument was that since there are no atheist-help-organizations, therefore Christians are good people and Christianity is true. Isn't that where you were going with this?

Since there are no help organizations established on the principles of azeusism, then zeusism must be something good.

It's a false dilemma.

It doesn't matter of someone started an help organization based on non-belief or not, it doesn't change the rest of the picture.

The rest of the picture is that there are thousands of non-Christian help organizations, so Christians DO NOT have the patent on altruism. You're stacking the argument.

I gave away money to homeless people today, out of love and compassion. I'm not a xtian. Does my charity not count?