Goodbye Jesus

Repenting After Death

Xerces

Your post is about how you interpret and how you think of the Bible verses. I want to hear the HS make the explanation, not a human.

Ain't that the truth! The HS told me that T is full of shit and Jim Jones actually got it right. Glory!

Or did he say Grace Jones. Spike Jones? Whatever.

Indiana Jones.

Repentance after death is NOT possible - the Bible says so.

Then Jesus was wasting his time preaching to disobedient people that died long ago and were being held in prison.

1 Peter 3:19-20

By which also he(Jesus) went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The wicked (dead or still living) cannot repent after everyone is judged.

Now you're moving the goalpost by adding the qualifier "cannot repent after everyone is judged".

So apparently they can repent after they're dead but not after being judged.

The ones who get marked in the right hand are basically PERPETUAL secularists, atheists, ignostics, agnostics and lone ranger believers who had their heads in the dirt and did not resist the devil and actively follow God.

Do you include yourself in this mix of "heads in the dirt" people?

You've tossed aside the teachings in the Hebrew scriptures in favor of the revisionist theology put forth by the Christian cult.

You also haven't established that you actively follow the Bible God or defined what a "lone ranger believer" is.

Did the firstborns of the wicked in Egypt get another chance to live and then repent when they did not have the blood over their door posts? Rebellious people do not love the truth and they will not want to ( and therefore choose not to ) repent.

How do you know that these people were not being held in the prison Jesus went to and preached in?

Scripture clearly states that Jesus preached to the spirits of dead people.

The problem you're faced with is that if nobody can repent after they're dead (as you first stated), then Jesus was wasting his time in a meaningless exercise.

There are books in heaven that has the transcript of the lives of everyone. There's the book of life , all the names of the Saints will be recorded here and there's the book of remembrance. Sins are recorded in the book of remembrance but by faith/trust a person hangs on to Jesus and they then get their evil deeds blotted out because God gave them the power to repent. It's called imputed and imparted righteousness.

An omniscient being needs to keep records? And actually write stuff down?

Really?

lmao_99.gif

Repentance after death is NOT possible - the Bible says so.

That mythological purgatory doctrine comes in a variety of ways. A watered down version of it is the secret rapture fallacy that tells people they have 7 years throughout the tribulation to repent but nuh uh, they are all lies that the devil gave to false prophets to deceive people and cause them to be lost!

2 Peter 2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after unnatural lust, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Did the people of Sodom and Gomorrah who got annihilated get resurrected in order to get another shot at being obedient to God?!

The wicked will be destroyed, NOT kept alive perpetually and tortured.

Malachi 4:1 For, behold, the day comes, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that comes shall burn them up, says the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which now are, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

The wicked (dead or still living) cannot repent after everyone is judged.

Rev 22:11 -12 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be

Matt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

In Matthew 25, those parables never suggest that the disobedient/wicked will get another chance when God judges the earth's inhabitants.

God seals /marks His servants, He knows that they will remain faithful to Him.

Rev 7:3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

Sealing in the forehead means that the people willingly and intellectually choose to love and obey God.

God also gives a mark/seal to the wicked:

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

The wicked that are marked or sealed in the foreheads are like Cain (Cain had a mark in his forehead) and they willingly and intellectually decide to reject obeying God. The ones who get marked in the right hand are basically PERPETUAL secularists, atheists, ignostics, agnostics and lone ranger believers who had their heads in the dirt and did not resist the devil and actively follow God. They will be then forced to go along with the diabolical program of worshipping God the way the people in Babylon did when they bowed down to Nebuchadnezzar's statue; Nebuchadnezzar basically said , 'bow down or be killed' and many people did except for three.

Did the firstborns of the wicked in Egypt get another chance to live and then repent when they did not have the blood over their door posts? Rebellious people do not love the truth and they will not want to ( and therefore choose not to ) repent.

1 Peter 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

I mean it is common sense, if someone is being tortured with excruciating pain to believe in something, most likely they will go along with it just to get a reprieve. It would be like someone in a shot gun marriage and this WILL NOT bring happiness to them, God or fellow created beings. God wants people to repent BECAUSE they see His goodness. Hell is to destroy the wicked and God is hurt by it but He has to do it.

The bible talks about judgment and harvesting

Jer 8:20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.

Matt 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

OT writers like David knew that the perpetually wicked will be destroyed, it says so in the imprecatory psalms.

The bible also warns about hardening ones heart when one is being convicted:

Heb 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

^

Why warn people if they are going to have another shot?

With a stupid doctrine like 'don't worry, you have time, you'll get another shot after you die', people will not take salvation seriously and end up lost sad.png

These texts I listed are just the tip of the iceberg, the bible is replete with object lessons teaching that this ONE life we have is a probationary one.

Also, as stated in this post, the dead do not have awareness, the bible calls death a sleep. When a person is in a deep dreamless sleep can they do anything?

You got this backwards Thumbelina.

First,... http://www.godsplanforall.com/ ...is one hundred percent based on scripture. Check out the home page!

Second, nobody (except you) is talking about what happens after death but before the resurrection of all flesh on Judgement Day.

No. Repentance after death means repentance after judgement, in the fires of Hell. This way, God's justice is fully satisfied, yet repenting sinners can still enter heaven.

The Christians on this site use the Greek word AIONOS in the same way you do. So when scripture says that the damned are cast into hell forever, they agree with you that this doesn't really mean all eternity.

The Holy Spirit has shown them what you cannot see.

Or has the Holy Spirit shown you what they cannot see?

Or has the Holy Spirit shown me what neither of you cannot see?

Or has the Holy Spirit shown everyone that everyone else is a false prophet but whoever's doing the typing is right?

Or has the Holy Spirit shown us that scripture can be cut any way anyone wants and it's still 100% (false)?

BAA.

The HS won't tell you anything contrary to scripture tongue.png

Really, you are so funny!!!!

Explanation for T: It's funny because obviously the HS tells 30,000 or so different versions of the same convoluted texts. Of course, each one getting guidance and understanding from the HS claims, as you do, that it is the correct interpretation and strictly in line with the holy text. Get it? Funny!!!

No it's not funny and you and other atheists' reasoning (when it comes to criticizing Christianity and the Bible) is not up to par either. Atheists are always priding themselves on their ability to "think", then answer me this:

Yesterday I was looking at an article about the gay young man who committed suicide after his roomate taped him. I was reading through the comments and saw this comment:

Good Republican

I just don't see how this trial is anything other than an injustice. These kids outed a gay. That's what is supposed to be done. Being gay is wrong and those that are should be publicly shamed. That would cure it. Also, if the gay commits suicide, then how are these kids responsible. In addition, what's the loss?

to which someone responded with :

RicTrenton, New Jersey

You don't sound like a republican. You sound like a manipulative liberal trying to make republicans look bad. If you are a republican, then you are a disgrace.

After I read the 2nd comment from Ric I was thinking, ' no, some Christians actually think like that, I experienced it from one I was talking to.' That dude felt no compassion for the guy that killed himself, he almost had an attitude of 'it was good for him and he did not matter'

So Florduh, how will a person know which Christian is right? My friend apparently thinks gays committed the unpardonable sin and I suppose he would use some text from the bible to support his views.

I, on the other hand, think that gays are people just like anybody else and like everyone else, they fall short of God's glory and they need mercy, love and compassion and I have texts to support that. How would one know which one of us is correct?

Your post is about how you interpret and how you think of the Bible verses. I want to hear the HS make the explanation, not a human. Thumbelina, you're not the HS, so I can't trust your opinion. We must hear the HS and nothing else.

Ah, you naughty people ain't listening to the HS, maybe He's not snarky enough for you to listen to? wink.png

I tried to listen to the HS for 30 years. I wanted to. And yet, here I am now. Don't say I didn't try. I did try.

Still, you talking, it's not the HS. Anything you say must be taken as an opinion, nothing else.

We've had this convo' many times, Ouro and I keep saying that you had SOME faulty teachings that did not help you keep your faith when the storms of life came. I can talk all I want, it will be the HS that convicts a person. I had a pain in the neck Christian bugging me about church before I decided to become a Christian and I did not go but when the time was right I went and whatta ya know, subconsciously I did hear some of what he said. smile.pngwink.png

C'mon Ouro, is it not a compliment when a believer does not want you to be deceived and hell bound?

Hey Robotnik, once I posted I figured you'd come out of the woodwork smile.png

Thumbelina said: Repentance after death is NOT possible - the Bible says so.

Centauri said: Then Jesus was wasting his time preaching to disobedient people that died long ago and were being held in prison.

1 Peter 3:19-20

By which also he(Jesus) went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Thumbelina: See, that shows that you do NOT compare scripture with scripture and spiritual with spiritual sad.png and it's not that you aren't ABLE, you're just NOT WILLING.

The bible does NOT contradict itself, it says the dead know not anything and therefore they cannot repent.

Text without context is a pretext so please quit isolating verses, OK?

Let's start at verse 18:

18For Christ also has once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but made alive by the Spirit:

19 By whom also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20Who formerly were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, by which a few, that is, eight souls were saved through water.

The HS preached to people in prison. Christ and the Spirit are ONE (character, purpose, love etc.)

"Jesus was ... preaching to disobedient people that died long ago and were being held in prison" <-- That teaching was made up by the Jesuits! They wanted to propagate their silly, mythological purgatory doctrine.

Surely as a former CHRISTIAN, you know the bible describes us as being slaves/prisoners/captives /in chains if we do not resist the devil and abide in Christ? Why do you think God was mad at the Israelites that wanted to go back to Egypt? He wanted to take them to Canaan (symbolic of heaven). While those stories were literal, they had PROFOUND spiritual applications.

Please look at this text and the cross references on the right: Isa 61:1 The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD has anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Thumbelina said: The wicked (dead or still living) cannot repent after everyone is judged.

Centauri: Now you're moving the goalpost by adding the qualifier "cannot repent after everyone is judged".

So apparently they can repent after they're dead but not after being judged.

Thumbelina: Nah, just stating what the entire bible says on the subject.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

^

After men die the next conscious thing they will know is when they are facing God in the judgment to see what they did in the body they had.

1 Thess 4:17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

At the second coming some people will still be alive and they will not die but their mortal bodies will be changed into immortal bodies. I knew this, bro' and I was covering my bases.

Thumbelina said: The ones who get marked in the right hand are basically PERPETUAL secularists, atheists, ignostics, agnostics and lone ranger believers who had their heads in the dirt and did not resist the devil and actively follow God.

Robotnik, um, Centauri said: Do you include yourself in this mix of "heads in the dirt" people?

You've tossed aside the teachings in the Hebrew scriptures in favor of the revisionist theology put forth by the Christian cult.

You also haven't established that you actively follow the Bible God or defined what a "lone ranger believer" is.

Thumbelina: My head is above ground, matey. Christianity is in harmony with the Hebrew scriptures. You have to take that I "actively follow the Bible God", on faith, my dear wink.png

So, you're curious as to what a lone ranger believer is ? biggrin.png It's one of those people who forsakes the assembling with other believers in order to cherry pick doctrines to suit their fancy. I know one who is defending fornication because he does not want to marry again cuz what ever he has is for his children and grandchildren. Oh, and he also believes that what ever a man does to his wife it has no effect on the children as long as the man is not physically abusive of course.

Thumbelina said: Did the firstborns of the wicked in Egypt get another chance to live and then repent when they did not have the blood over their door posts? Rebellious people do not love the truth and they will not want to ( and therefore choose not to ) repent.

Centauri said: How do you know that these people were not being held in the prison Jesus went to and preached in?

Thumbelina: Cuz the bible says the dead are asleep and they did not ascend to heaven or go to hell because hell will be this whole earth on fire and we're still here. Hell will be God's glory burning up the wicked and this bloody ( literally) earth.

Centauri said: Scripture clearly states that Jesus preached to the spirits of dead people.

The problem you're faced with is that if nobody can repent after they're dead (as you first stated), then Jesus was wasting his time in a meaningless exercise.

Thumbelina: I already explained that.

We've had this convo' many times, Ouro and I keep saying that you had SOME faulty teachings that did not help you keep your faith when the storms of life came.

How can I have faulty teachings if the HS was my teacher? If my teachings were wrong, then the HS never taught me anything. If the HS never taught me anything, then either the HS didn't care to teach me or he doesn't exist.

I can talk all I want, it will be the HS that convicts a person. I had a pain in the neck Christian bugging me about church before I decided to become a Christian and I did not go but when the time was right I went and whatta ya know, subconsciously I did hear some of what he said. smile.pngwink.png

Still, your words won't make any difference to anyone here unless the HS speaks. So make the HS speak or your words are lost. You said it yourself, only the HS can teach the truth. You can't.

C'mon Ouro, is it not a compliment when a believer does not want you to be deceived and hell bound?

I don't know if you're telling the truth or not, because I must hear it from the HS to know. I don't know if you speak for the HS or not, so I must hear from the HS. All you are saying are your opinions and nothing else. So come on, let the HS speak... Now!

There are books in heaven that has the transcript of the lives of everyone. There's the book of life , all the names of the Saints will be recorded here and there's the book of remembrance. Sins are recorded in the book of remembrance but by faith/trust a person hangs on to Jesus and they then get their evil deeds blotted out because God gave them the power to repent. It's called imputed and imparted righteousness.

An omniscient being needs to keep records? And actually write stuff down?

Really?

lmao_99.gif

Thumbelina: You like to laugh, huh? Laughter is good :)

The records are NOT for God, they're for the created beings that are not omniscient. God wants to vindicate His character, He wants His children to see He's not a horrible despot as MANY believe Him to be.

Humans will get to judge angels (fallen ones).

The HS inside me tells me you're wrong Thumbs.

• Super Moderator

Explanation for T: It's funny because obviously the HS tells 30,000 or so different versions of the same convoluted texts. Of course, each one getting guidance and understanding from the HS claims, as you do, that it is the correct interpretation and strictly in line with the holy text. Get it? Funny!!!

No it's not funny and you and other atheists' reasoning (when it comes to criticizing Christianity and the Bible) is not up to par either. Atheists are always priding themselves on their ability to "think", then answer me this:

Yesterday I was looking at....snip....How would one know which one of us is correct?

Funny again! Theists don't rely on the ability to think at all! You believe (your interpretation) of what a collection of ancient texts tells you must take on faith - no thinking required (or permitted).

As far as who is "correct" in the given example, neither one because each is basing their position on dodgy authority. The two may disagree on the meaning and intent of the pertinent texts, but those texts are irrelevant to everything but doctrinal in-fighting. You think you're right (because the HS told you so) and he thinks he is right (for the same reason). Do you see no irony here?

So the question is not how do we treat gays who, by their very nature, are an abomination to a Bronze Age god, but how do we learn not to discriminate against any minorities. What matters is what we think of each other, not what some imaginary deity tells us to think of them.

We've had this convo' many times, Ouro and I keep saying that you had SOME faulty teachings that did not help you keep your faith when the storms of life came.

How can I have faulty teachings if the HS was my teacher? If my teachings were wrong, then the HS never taught me anything. If the HS never taught me anything, then either the HS didn't care to teach me or he doesn't exist.

I can talk all I want, it will be the HS that convicts a person. I had a pain in the neck Christian bugging me about church before I decided to become a Christian and I did not go but when the time was right I went and whatta ya know, subconsciously I did hear some of what he said. smile.pngwink.png

Still, your words won't make any difference to anyone here unless the HS speaks. So make the HS speak or your words are lost. You said it yourself, only the HS can teach the truth. You can't.

I don't know if you're telling the truth or not, because I must hear it from the HS to know. I don't know if you speak for the HS or not, so I must hear from the HS. All you are saying are your opinions and nothing else. So come on, let the HS speak... Now!

You were drunk on Babylon's wine and it is damned near impossible to reason with a drunk (spiritually speaking) You were being fed spiritual alcohol and you did not know it. I'm not going to explain further right now cuz you won't get it.

What I can do is continue to pray that you will be willing to get sober one day and the HS will work on your heart. Besides, putting your lack of belief aside, you seem like a nice person.

The HS inside me tells me you're wrong Thumbs.

It's an unholy spirit talking to ya.

Yesterday I was looking at....snip....How would one know which one of us is correct?

Funny again! Theists don't rely on the ability to think at all! You believe (your interpretation) of what a collection of ancient texts tells you must take on faith - no thinking required (or permitted).

As far as who is "correct" in the given example, neither one because each is basing their position on dodgy authority. The two may disagree on the meaning and intent of the pertinent texts, but those texts are irrelevant to everything but doctrinal in-fighting. You think you're right (because the HS told you so) and he thinks he is right (for the same reason). Do you see no irony here?

So the question is not how do we treat gays who, by their very nature, are an abomination to a Bronze Age god, but how do we learn not to discriminate against any minorities. What matters is what we think of each other, not what some imaginary deity tells us to think of them.

Borp! Wrong answer. We were judging the answer based on the bible. Now, back to the drawing board, Florduh!

Hey Thumby!

How do we know you aren't just handing us your "opinion" this time?

Is there some kind of infallible test we can use to test what you say?

We just need to take it on the faith we don't have, right?

Hmmmm..?

BAA.

• Super Moderator
Borp! Wrong answer. We were judging the answer based on the bible. Now, back to the drawing board, Florduh!

Read it again. It is the right answer, just not the one you seek. You would like me to say the Bible supports your position. It does, but it also supports conflicting positions. Hence, every sincere believer's reliance on the HS. What you keep missing is when five Christians seek the answer from the HS, five differing interpretations are forthcoming. Ah, I know, but YOURS is the right one...............

You were drunk on Babylon's wine and it is damned near impossible to reason with a drunk (spiritually speaking) You were being fed spiritual alcohol and you did not know it. I'm not going to explain further right now cuz you won't get it.

That's not what the HS is telling me. The HS is telling me you're the one who's drunk on ego.

What I can do is continue to pray that you will be willing to get sober one day and the HS will work on your heart.

The HS is telling me that you're wrong.

Besides, putting your lack of belief aside, you seem like a nice person.

I am a very nice person, but I have very little tolerance for people with a runaway fantasy or delusion who's telling me I'm wrong because they hear voices in their head.

Read it again. It is the right answer, just not the one you seek. You would like me to say the Bible supports your position. It does, but it also supports conflicting positions. Hence, every sincere believer's reliance on the HS. What you keep missing is when five Christians seek the answer from the HS, five differing interpretations are forthcoming. Ah, I know, but YOURS is the right one...............

Because she thinks that God gave her the "real" HS and the others didn't. Only she got the HS, and if you agree with her, you got it too, but if you don't agree with her, then you don't have the HS.

It's not a Holy Spirit, but a Bullshit Spirit.

If God is not willing that ANY should perish, why would He want fellow sinners to condemn gays? Why would He want fellow sinners to judge gays before the time? Christianity is not a theocracy.

That's not what the HS is telling me. The HS is telling me you're the one who's drunk on ego.

What I can do is continue to pray that you will be willing to get sober one day and the HS will work on your heart.

The HS is telling me that you're wrong.

Besides, putting your lack of belief aside, you seem like a nice person.

I am a very nice person, but I have very little tolerance for people with a runaway fantasy or delusion who's telling me I'm wrong because they hear voices in their head.

Sorry if what I said is coming across as being egotistical. I have had people try to get me drunk on Babylon's wine but what they were saying did not make sense so I refused to drink. I was not in church from childhood so i did not have experiences like many other people. N.B. I keep saying this, I AM NOT DOUBTING a lot of people's sincerity, I refute teachings that do not match scripture. I said this MANY times.

... I refute teachings that do not match scripture. I said this MANY times.

Nothing can be refuted by a personal opinion Thumbelina.

Proof and evidence that don't rely on a person's opinions do!

BAA.

• Like 1

If God is not willing that ANY should perish, why would He want fellow sinners to condemn gays? Why would He want fellow sinners to judge gays before the time? Christianity is not a theocracy.

If God exists and is not willing that ANY should perish, then God must not be offended by gays. Or else God wouldn't have made them gay. Hey if you don't like something don't make it. Even a human with average intelligence can figure that one out. It makes one wonder about the men who invented the Bible.

Sorry if what I said is coming across as being egotistical.

How can it be anything else? You make demands on others based on what you read in a book and what you hear from your own superego.

I have had people try to get me drunk on Babylon's wine but what they were saying did not make sense so I refused to drink.

You are talking about things that don't exist again. Why do you keep doing that? Do you do this in real life?

"Sorry I'm late for work. Little green men from outer space abducted me and it took ten minutes for me to get away from them. Please believe me."

I was not in church from childhood so i did not have experiences like many other people. N.B. I keep saying this, I AM NOT DOUBTING a lot of people's sincerity, I refute teachings that do not match scripture. I said this MANY times.

I have never seen you refute anything. Show me an example please.

Sorry if what I said is coming across as being egotistical. I have had people try to get me drunk on Babylon's wine but what they were saying did not make sense so I refused to drink. I was not in church from childhood so i did not have experiences like many other people. N.B. I keep saying this, I AM NOT DOUBTING a lot of people's sincerity, I refute teachings that do not match scripture. I said this MANY times.

Yes. But your explanations of the Bible can only be true if the HS confirms them. My HS tells me your wrong, so where does it leaves the discussion? Basically nowhere. It means that whatever you say is rendered completely useless for anyone here since everyone's inner "voice" (HS) will argue against your words.

... I refute teachings that do not match scripture. I said this MANY times.

Nothing can be refuted by a personal opinion Thumbelina.

Proof and evidence that don't rely on a person's opinions do!

BAA.

Her argument is actually that she's right because the Holy Spirit confirms her interpretations. So just listen to the Holy Spirit, and he'll tell you. What she's saying doesn't really matter since it must come to what the HS says, not what she says. I've been listening to my Holy Spirit, and he tells me she's wrong. :shrug: