Goodbye Jesus

Your Profile Name And Photo

Denyoz

My name may be obvious to some, but it has to do with one of my favorite pass-times. I am an american, and I celebrate that heritage, but I also celebrate my irish ancestry. So I combined the two haha. I actually use the screen name highrishman420 on my PS3.

As for my picture, I just honestly found it funny.

• Like 2

The V in the movies is a freedom fighter lock, stock and barrel. Cynical, with quite a bit of a "dark" side to himself, but still, he fights to overthrow a repressive regime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA

• Like 1

Can't watch it... the copyright fascists don't allow it in Germany :(

Hey, NeverAgain, love the profile pic, V for Vendetta is one of my favorite movies.

My name/pic. If it isn't obvious from the pic, or you aren't familiar with the show, it comes from the character Dr. Sheldon Cooper from "Big Bang Theory". I talked about the reason for the name in my 1st post, I use this name on a local forum as well, it was my way of having a little humor about having OCD. I'm a big fan of Big Bang Theory, and many fans online question whether the character is supposed to be OCD or a high functioning autistic. There's no doubt in my mind about that, after watching the show for several years, but the producers continue to deny that was their intent in creating the character.

• Like 3

Can't watch it... the copyright fascists don't allow it in Germany sad.png

Use a proxy server site to view it. :)

Hey, NeverAgain, love the profile pic, V for Vendetta is one of my favorite movies.

My name/pic. If it isn't obvious from the pic, or you aren't familiar with the show, it comes from the character Dr. Sheldon Cooper from "Big Bang Theory". I talked about the reason for the name in my 1st post, I use this name on a local forum as well, it was my way of having a little humor about having OCD. I'm a big fan of Big Bang Theory, and many fans online question whether the character is supposed to be OCD or a high functioning autistic. There's no doubt in my mind about that, after watching the show for several years, but the producers continue to deny that was their intent in creating the character.

I've watched that show a few times & the Sheldon character is something else! :D My daughter likes it too. I tried to vote your post up...but it wont let me...maybe I've used all of mine?

Anyhoo LOVE your pic!

The V in the movies is a freedom fighter lock, stock and barrel. Cynical, with quite a bit of a "dark" side to himself, but still, he fights to overthrow a repressive regime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA

"now we see the violence that's inherent in the system..HELP HELP i'm being repressed!!!" HA Damn I LOVE Monty Python!!! :D :D

I love that V has an appreciation for art, music & of course is a genius. Love the character. Did you know it was a graphic novel first?

Yup I've seen it already in a bookstore not far from where I live, all-in-one hardcover. I was seriously tempted to burn the don't-remember-how-many € for it. smile.png

I really don't understand the Guy Fawkes mask, hey. It's confusing me, because Guy Fawkes was going to blow up the parliament... In order to re-instate Catholic control and quell the protestant movement. The dude was against democracy, and all for the autocratic power of the Catholic church, and yet he's somehow become a symbol of anti-religion or something. I don't get it- is it meant to be intentionally ironic or something?

Yes the original Guy Fawkes was kind of a religious fanatic. He could also be seen as a freedom fighter though, because well catholics were suppressed in his day and living place. Doesn't make his side the "good" one but in a way he fought for "freedom".

That said, V in the movie only uses the rough symbolism of Fawkes to, as he says it in the movie, remind people that "Freedom and justice are not just mere words - they are perspectives". (quoted from memory and translated into English)

The V in the movie is a freedom fighter lock, stock and barrel. Cynical, with quite a bit of a "dark" side to himself, but still, he fights to overthrow a repressive regime.

(Edited to remove typo)

Oh I see, so it's more about the protagonist in the movie than the actual historical figure. Thanks for clearing that up :)

I love that V has an appreciation for art, music & of course is a genius. Love the character. Did you know it was a graphic novel first?

Yup I've seen it already in a bookstore not far from where I live, all-in-one hardcover. I was seriously tempted to burn the don't-remember-how-many € for it. smile.png

I really don't understand the Guy Fawkes mask, hey. It's confusing me, because Guy Fawkes was going to blow up the parliament... In order to re-instate Catholic control and quell the protestant movement. The dude was against democracy, and all for the autocratic power of the Catholic church, and yet he's somehow become a symbol of anti-religion or something. I don't get it- is it meant to be intentionally ironic or something?

Yes the original Guy Fawkes was kind of a religious fanatic. He could also be seen as a freedom fighter though, because well catholics were suppressed in his day and living place. Doesn't make his side the "good" one but in a way he fought for "freedom".

That said, V in the movie only uses the rough symbolism of Fawkes to, as he says it in the movie, remind people that "Freedom and justice are not just mere words - they are perspectives". (quoted from memory and translated into English)

The V in the movie is a freedom fighter lock, stock and barrel. Cynical, with quite a bit of a "dark" side to himself, but still, he fights to overthrow a repressive regime.

(Edited to remove typo)

Oh I see, so it's more about the protagonist in the movie than the actual historical figure. Thanks for clearing that up smile.png

It's fantasy....totally. :D

It's fantasy....totally. biggrin.png

Yep. Fantasy. Totally. But a great movie. (Better than the graphic novel it came from, IMHO, though my lots of my anarchist friends disagree.)

It also helps to know going in that "V" not only isn't a real Guy Fawkes analog (despite his announced intention of blowing up the houses of Parliament), but he isn't any sort of traditional "good guy." Don't get too attached to the bastard.

Every November 5 is Watch "V for Vendetta" Day at my house.

• Like 1

:fdevil:

Remember remember the 5th of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Watched the movie in English for the first time and automatically memorized that :)

• Like 1

I saw it and thought it was very good, very profound. I'm not a big fan of watching someone get tortured, especially a cute lil punkin, but I'm glad I saw it.

Every Saturday the 14th is, well, Saturday the 14th Day at my house. On Thanksgiving we have Turkey Day and watch a bunch of MST3K. Tradition can be fun!

• Like 1

My original name was Vigile del Fuoco. It means firefighter in Italian (watcher of the fire I think if translated directly). I've long had a special hatred toward the hell doctrine, so thought it might be appropriate.

My current avatar is Ignatius Reilly, the protagonist in the book Confederacy of Dunces, one of the funniest books I've ever read. Ignatius was a crackpot, psuedo intellectual, so I suppose he fits me. smile.png

• Like 3

My name is based off the name of a Swans song "Feel Happiness", and since there is a character limit on names, this became feel happy.

This name also has a second meaning. While I mostly lost my faith over the past two years, I tried to hold onto any shred of my christian belief hoping to one day return to the fold (calling myself a progressive christian, then agnostic christian). Early this year my brother died in a car wreck and while watching the family fret over the question of if he was in hell, I realized how repugnant christianity really was and finally dropped the agnostic christian idea and became a nontheist. (As for my family's dilemma, my aunt had a dream where she saw my brother meet my previously deceased cousin in heaven and they worshiped god together, this dream was proof to my family that he did make it to heaven even though he was "sinning" so therefore my family could have peace about the situation and finally start to properly mourn his death.....)

Losing my brother also made me realize the sad reality that I'll probably never see him again and this caused me to go into an even deeper depression so perhaps to Feel Happy was what I was hoping for. I found this forum while looking for input from other atheists on how they coped with death knowing that there's probably no afterlife.

My avatar comes from images of the Zoroaster supreme deity: Ahura Mazda. It seemed fitting at the time because one of the many things which lead me to drop my christian faith was realizing how many of the ideas of Good vs Evil, Jesus vs Satan, the ultimate cosmic battle came from Zoroaster Babylonia influences on later Jewish and early Christian thought. (And perhaps even the jews monotheistic thought).

The swans song is here, which also probably says a bunch about my tastes in music:

• Like 3

My current avatar is Ignatius Reilly, the protagonist in the book Confederacy of Dunces, one of the funniest books I've ever read. Ignatius was a crackpot, psuedo intellectual, so I suppose he fits me. smile.png

Whenever I look at your avatar I keep thinking it's a blonde guy staring to the right of my screen (with the bird as the guy's hair).

Whenever I look at your avatar I keep thinking it's a blonde guy staring to the right of my screen (with the bird as the guy's hair).

There was a section in the book where Ignatius met a bar girl who wanted to use the bird in a strip tease act. You'd have to read the book to get the gist. I fear I cant do it justice explaining it here.

My original name was Vigile del Fuoco. It means firefighter in Italian (watcher of the fire I think if translated directly). I've long had a special hatred toward the hell doctrine, so thought it might be appropriate.

My current avatar is Ignatius Reilly, the protagonist in the book Confederacy of Dunces, one of the funniest books I've ever read. Ignatius was a crackpot, psuedo intellectual, so I suppose he fits me.

Since I joined this site, I have always wondered what your name meant and who was that guy on your photo. I had you in mind when I started this thread. Thanks for replying firefighter!

• Like 2

It took me a while to find a picture to go with my name. I chose a picture of blue margaritas because I love making drinks for family members and friends and one of my specialties is making flavored margaritas. Well my username has a little story behind it, one of my close friends was looking for a cool nickname for me, and he came up with Berry which rhymes with my last name. I added Very to Berry to create a username for an email account.

To top it off, I love berries, so the username suits me well.

• Like 3

Oh wow- I LOVED reading about everyone's names, pictures and personalities. I discovered that I have a limited number of points that I can give out- that sucks! I just want to like it, like on facebook!

At any rate, some may remember that I started on this forum with my almost original name (also my first forum and I'm not that creative). After backlash from family about my deconversion and posting more, I contacted the admin to change my handle to be a little more anonymous.

Wings- one of my fave bible verses was Isaiah 40:31: "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Wings is the realization that I'm my own wings, all on my own. It's been difficult, but I have no regrets about deconverting-- I will take responsibility for my life and choices and soar on my own.

My picture is me... I think it's because I'm pretty transparent and overall trusting. I'm okay with you knowing me and knowing about me and I trust you. Maybe naive, but it's just how I like to be. This picture was taken in the Dominican Republic on a holiday with my mom and sisters-- love my immediate family, love to have fun and laugh (wearing braces in this pic, so no teeth!) and love a good drink! :)

• Like 5

Wings- one of my fave bible verses was Isaiah 40:31: "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Wings is the realization that I'm my own wings, all on my own. It's been difficult, but I have no regrets about deconverting-- I will take responsibility for my life and choices and soar on my own.

That's really beautiful.

• Like 1

That's really beautiful.

Thanks Vigile! Was really good to read more about you, too :)

• Like 1

My current avatar is Father Ted. I chose it because I love British comedy (although FT is technically Irish). My current signature is from another British comedy, Snuff Box.

My handle is the name of a song from a Christian album, Mercury by The Prayer Chain. It's pretty much the only Christian album I listen to anymore, because it's one of the few that I feel has artistic merit. The theme of the album (or the way I interpret it anyway) is struggling with doubts, pain, sexual frustration, and faith. The band didn't try to force cheesy xtian messages or "Jesus is gonna come and fix everything" BS into any of the songs; Jesus is only mentioned explicitly in one song, and that song is about guilt. Many of the songs are pretty dark, especially for an album on the Christian market. To this day it's still one of my favorite albums of all time; as a non-believer it's a reminder of my struggles with Christianity and why I got out. So I figured it was appropriate.

• Like 2

...My picture is me...

Reasons for visiting Canada some day... another +1 and counting... :)

(Just a sincere compliment you know... I don't get to hand out those all too often ;) )

Dory, the fish from Finding Nemo. I'm a ditzy person/clumsy by nature, so it fits perfectly really :) No pic yet, will get one up there at some point.

• Like 3

...My picture is me...

Reasons for visiting Canada some day... another +1 and counting... smile.png

(Just a sincere compliment you know... I don't get to hand out those all too often wink.png )

Lol, thanks Thurisaz... visit anytime (preferably when it's warm!)