Goodbye Jesus

Feminist Threads, Cue Trolls

Orbit

Rape culture is not controversial in social science. It's like arguing against gravity. I think the problem is that people are making up their own definition of the phrase.

that's scary. Ss is a soft science and though it attempts to use the scientific method, it can't measure to the same degree of accuracy the hard sciences can. Likewise, it is vulnerable to much more subjective interpretation of the data. If a subject such as this stops being controversial, it makes me wonder if the academics in the field aren't all just doing a giant circle jerk instead of their jobs as objective observers.

from what I've seen, rape culture very much depends on equivocation and redefinition of events as well as very selective interpretation of reality.

• Like 3

Rape culture is not controversial in social science. It's like arguing against gravity. I think the problem is that people are making up their own definition of the phrase.

that's scary. Ss is a soft science and though it attempts to use the scientific method, it can't measure to the same degree of accuracy the hard sciences can. Likewise, it is vulnerable to much more subjective interpretation of the data. If a subject such as this stops being controversial, it makes me wonder if the academics in the field aren't all just doing a giant circle jerk instead of their jobs as objective observers.

from what I've seen, rape culture very much depends on equivocation and redefinition of events as well as very selective interpretation of reality.

Fixed that for ya'.  No sarcasm.

I find it pretty ridiculous when a few folks around here call feminism a 'science'.  Just because a statistics class was required for that degree in Victim Science... that don't make your opinions 'scientific fact'.  

I mean seriously- I've taken graduate level classes in REAL sciences.  The evidence backing claims thrown around in some of these threads would be laughed out of the room in the context of a hard science. 

• Like 1

I find it pretty ridiculous when a few folks around here call feminism a 'science'.  Just because a statistics class was required for that degree in Victim Science... that don't make your opinions 'scientific fact'.  

I mean seriously- I've taken graduate level classes in REAL sciences.  The evidence backing claims thrown around in some of these threads would be laughed out of the room in the context of a hard science.

I'm having trouble getting the hang of typing on my new tablet. Autocorrect is a blessing and a curse.

Systemic sexism isn't the same thing as rape culture--systemic sexism is the larger thing that encompasses rape culture.

But more generally, I would say that given how much harm patriarchy and systemic sexism does to women and men, I'd encourage y'all to rethink your war on the term "rape culture." It's like there are people saying, "global climate change is a very pressing danger," and you're saying, "calling it 'global' implies that my little village is just as responsible as big cities." Whether or not your complain is valid, it's such small potatoes compared to the real harms that complaining about it makes you seem like a troll and someone engaging in derailment tactics. Help fix the problem--and as needed, nudge the use of terminology from within the movement instead of standing on the sidelines and complaining.

• Like 1

Even in a standard "scientific" field ones opinion is never considered fact. There is the chance that one day it will be considered a scientific law or axiom but that remains to be seen.

The passage of ideas and ones thoughts is more important than who is right sometimes to start with. If we can have a healthy dialog then there is a chance for more. Talking honestly with one another is a good start. leaving the feelings at the door initially is also a good start.

Even in a standard "scientific" field ones opinion is never considered fact. There is the chance that one day it will be considered a scientific law or axiom but that remains to be seen.

The passage of ideas and ones thoughts is more important than who is right sometimes to start with. If we can have a healthy dialog then there is a chance for more. Talking honestly with one another is a good start. leaving the feelings at the door initially is also a good start.

If you had asked me six months ago whether or not I thought that honest dialogue with feminists was possible... I'd have looked at you like you were a troglodyte and said "of course it is- what the fuck are you talking about?".

But lately- now that I've tried to have that dialogue with feminists- I'm not so sure.  I've come to think that feminists- at least the ones enthusiastic enough to major in Victim Science or the like in college- are rigid ideologues far more interested in issue advocacy than in being truthful.

• Like 1

If you had asked me six months ago whether or not I thought that honest dialogue with feminists was possible... I'd have looked at you like you were a troglodyte and said "of course it is- what the fuck are you talking about?".

But lately- now that I've tried to have that dialogue with feminists- I'm not so sure.  I've come to think that feminists- at least the ones enthusiastic enough to major in Victim Science or the like in college- are rigid ideologues far more interested in issue advocacy than in being truthful.

Nice ad hominem attack. What's next on the menu?

Yeah, the Victim Studies part was a little snarky... but pretty damn tame in the context of discussions we have around here. And it reflects the impression I've been given of 'academic' feminism.

I mean, when I see ANY group of people demanding overtly privileged treatment, pushing ideology over reality- denying clearly verifiable facts and demanding the world conform to what they WANT to be true rather than honestly trying to determine what actually IS true... well I'm reminded an awful lot of the christianity I grew up with and left behind for exactly those reasons. And I won't give feminists a special exemption from that just because I happen to like several and agree with then on lots of stuff.

Y'all want equality? Great! Part of that entails putting on your big-girl britches. That includes being honest even where the facts don't quite trumpet your cause. It'd also be awesome if y'all were willing to acknowledge those areas in which women are quite priveledged in our culture. That's NOT to say I think men have a tougher time than women do- not at all. But women do have it much easier in some areas (work expectations particularly). I simply can't take seriously demands for equal pay when women are demonstrably not doing equal work.

• Like 3

Yeah, the Victim Studies part was a little snarky... but pretty damn tame in the context of discussions we have around here. And it reflects the impression I've been given of 'academic' feminism.

I mean, when I see ANY group of people demanding overtly privileged treatment, pushing ideology over reality- denying clearly verifiable facts and demanding the world conform to what they WANT to be true rather than honestly trying to determine what actually IS true... well I'm reminded an awful lot of the christianity I grew up with and left behind for exactly those reasons. And I won't give feminists a special exemption from that just because I happen to like several and agree with then on lots of stuff.

Y'all want equality? Great! Part of that entails putting on your big-girl britches. That includes being honest even where the facts don't quite trumpet your cause. It'd also be awesome if y'all were willing to acknowledge those areas in which women are quite priveledged in our culture. That's NOT to say I think men have a tougher time than women do- not at all. But women do have it much easier in some areas (work expectations particularly). I simply can't take seriously demands for equal pay when women are demonstrably not doing equal work.

And once again we have the straw (wo)man of which I speak.

Systemic sexism isn't the same thing as rape culture--systemic sexism is the larger thing that encompasses rape culture.

But more generally, I would say that given how much harm patriarchy and systemic sexism does to women and men, I'd encourage y'all to rethink your war on the term "rape culture." It's like there are people saying, "global climate change is a very pressing danger," and you're saying, "calling it 'global' implies that my little village is just as responsible as big cities." Whether or not your complain is valid, it's such small potatoes compared to the real harms that complaining about it makes you seem like a troll and someone engaging in derailment tactics. Help fix the problem--and as needed, nudge the use of terminology from within the movement instead of standing on the sidelines and complaining.

Alternative opinions are trolling.  That is almost as bad as alternative opinions are whining.  And I should remain silent because of real harms that happened before I was born and I had no control over.  It shows how interested you are in dialog.

Your analogy fails.  I don't have a war on the term.  What I have is people who self identify as feminists who follow me around and beat me over the head with rape culture.  They hold me personally responsible even though they don't know the first thing about me and sometimes they have to manufacture evidence to seem credible.  But if you don't care how divisive that is then it isn't a problem.  It certainly isn't my problem.

I'm not on the sidelines.  What a presumption you made!  As a humanist I know that the right way to fight sexism is to not favor one gender over the other.  Sexism only encourages more sexism.

Alternative opinions are trolling.  That is almost as bad as alternative opinions are whining.  And I should remain silent because of real harms that happened before I was born and I had no control over.  It shows how interested you are in dialog.

Your analogy fails.  I don't have a war on the term.  What I have is people who self identify as feminists who follow me around and beat me over the head with rape culture.  They hold me personally responsible even though they don't know the first thing about me and sometimes they have to manufacture evidence to seem credible.  But if you don't care how divisive that is then it isn't a problem.  It certainly isn't my problem.

I'm not on the sidelines.  What a presumption you made!  As a humanist I know that the right way to fight sexism is to not favor one gender over the other.  Sexism only encourages more sexism.

This is ridiculous. No one is holding you personally responsible for the rape culture concept, or for rape. That is coming from inside your own head, not from feminism.

This is ridiculous. No one is holding you personally responsible for the rape culture concept, or for rape. That is coming from inside your own head, not from feminism.

You are not.  That doesn't mean everybody else is as reasonable.  I didn't say it came from feminism but rather from people.

And I am not imagining how divisive this subject is for everyone else.

you're the one who posted the article explaining rc which said we are to blame because we are men orbit

I can't tell if you're being dishonest or if you have comprehension problems

• Like 1

you're the one who posted the article explaining rc which said we are to blame because we are men orbit

I can't tell if you're being dishonest or if you have comprehension problems

Now you're just being a dick, and the article didn't say that.

I quoted it, that's exactly what it said. Wtf? I'd go back and find it but I'm on a phone.

You guys should stop apologising for feminism. I used to think it had merit until you and a few others changed my mind.

• Like 1

The article that I posted on the Ask A Feminist thread absolutely did not say that. But I'm sure you'll take something out of context and interpret it that way.

Unbelievable. It said that almost Ord for word. It even apologised for it with an "I'm sorry, but it's true".

I better bow out here. My pension for speaking my mind will just make this get ugly and I honestly have no hard feelings I need to work out on anyone.

Is this the one?

https://medium.com/human-parts/a-gentlemens-guide-to-rape-culture-7fc86c50dc4c

"If you are a man, you are part of rape culture."

"But you do perpetuate the attitudes and behaviors commonly referred to as rape culture."

"How are you part of rape culture? Well, I hate to say it, but it’s because you’re a man."

I am not imagining that.  He really is blaming me because of the way I was born.  I didn't choose to have a Y chromosome.  By the way it's a very sexist article.  He wants me to coddle every single woman I meet because all of them are living in fear all the time.  I have to treat them different because I was born with the aggressive gender and they were born with the vulnerable gender.

• Like 1

Is this the one?

"But you do perpetuate the attitudes and behaviors commonly referred to as rape culture."

"How are you part of rape culture? Well, I hate to say it, but it’s because you’re a man."

I am not imagining that.  He really is blaming me because of the way I was born.  I didn't choose to have a Y chromosome.

But not because you are men, as Vigile said, but because you have been bombarded with social messages that impart the values that are part of rape culture. Taken in the context of the entire article, which isn't by a social theorist but a normal dude, he's saying "you need to pay attention to this because you're a man".

• Like 1

Is this the one?

I am not imagining that.  He really is blaming me because of the way I was born.  I didn't choose to have a Y chromosome.

But not because you are men, as Vigile said, but because you have been bombarded with social messages that impart the values that are part of rape culture. Taken in the context of the entire article, which isn't by a social theorist but a normal dude, he's saying "you need to pay attention to this because you're a man".

The article said it is because I am a man.  And pardon me but this guy has no idea what I have been bombarded with.  That is pure presumption.  I am a man so he can make all these assumptions about me.  Isn't this the very meaning of sexist?

He says sexy jokes are rape culture.  So now we can't have sexy jokes?  Pressure on men to "score" is listed at rape culture.  So do I have to castrate myself to eliminate my desire to mate?  Nothing else will get the testosterone out of my blood stream.

You do realize it's a bad article.

Is this the one?

The article said it is because I am a man.  And pardon me but this guy has no idea what I have been bombarded with.  That is pure presumption.  I am a man so he can make all these assumptions about me.  Isn't this the very meaning of sexist?

He says sexy jokes are rape culture.  So now we can't have sexy jokes?  Pressure on men to "score" is listed at rape culture.  So do I have to castrate myself to eliminate my desire to mate?  Nothing else will get the testosterone out of my blood stream.

It's an honest effort by one dude to explain this to other dudes. it's not social theory--which of course is written in a more precise way. When thinking about any social theory you need to remember that social theory isn't about you personally. It's about broad patterns that have been observed in society.

Is this the one?

It's an honest effort by one dude to explain this to other dudes. it's not social theory--which of course is written in a more precise way. When thinking about any social theory you need to remember that social theory isn't about you personally. It's about broad patterns that have been observed in society.

Read the words I quoted.  He is making it about the individual.  If you are a man then you are part of rape culture.  You do perpetuate the attitudes and behaviors commonly referred to as rape culture.  It’s because you’re a man

If you looked at an article that was slut shaming women you would not excuse, deflect or fudge the words in the text.  You guys don't have to fix this if you don't want to but being divisive isn't in your best interests.

Is this the one?

Read the words I quoted.  He is making it about the individual.  If you are a man then you are part of rape culture.  You do perpetuate the attitudes and behaviors commonly referred to as rape culture.  It’s because you’re a man

If you looked at an article that was slut shaming women you would not excuse, deflect or fudge the words in the text.  You guys don't have to fix this if you don't want to but being divisive isn't in your best interests.

I understand that. I was pointing at the larger meaning. We are all part of rape culture. Men DO commit the majority of rape, so rape IS a men's problem. If you are a man who is not a rapist it seems like you would be all for calling out the men who are, but you're not. That is one of the subtleties of rape culture.

Is this the one?

It's OK for feminists to speak about broad patterns.

But woe is he who speaks of broad patterns in ways that don't fit the feminist ideology.

Is this the one?

It's OK for feminists to speak about broad patterns.

But woe is he who speaks of broad patterns in ways that don't fit the feminist ideology.

We do base our patterns off of systematic qualitative and quantitative research. I posted rape stats on the other thread.