Goodbye Jesus

Creation, God, Nothing And Our Universe

mymistake

ayup

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

foak, before you and I discuss the existence of god, could you please provide some evidence that you actually exist and that you're not just a fake online avatar that I created just to fuck with people's minds?

Gheeze what a classy joint... Good job guys and gals, you just added more shit to your resume. I'll pray now.

Because we've recently seen that prayer is effective?

Gheeze what a classy joint... Good job guys and gals, you just added more shit to your resume. I'll pray now.

It was sarcasm. I wish "they" nor you would fall in to the condemnation category crucifying these people who would just wish to be heard. The point here is "it must have to be by our terms and language" before anything can proceed. What a waste.

AHH, seems like the Bible mentions something about becoming like someone to understand. I digress.

It was sarcasm. I wish "they" nor you would fall in to the condemnation category crucifying these people who would just wish to be heard. The point here is "it must have to be by our terms and language" before anything can proceed. What a waste.

AHH, seems like the Bible mentions something about becoming like someone to understand. I digress.

Right.  When a theist calls us "horrible people" a dozen times he just wants to be heard.  But when we ask him questions he cannot answer or does not want to answer that is crucifixion.  Crucify means "asking difficult questions".

Melodramatic much?

• Like 1

lol

there is nothing but the same old rhetoric here.

the evidence that God exists is inside of you and outside of you.

if you are not able to understand that then there is nothing else i could possibly say to help you understand.

sorry

no need to come here and have an argument over a misunderstanding.

Will you kindly state what evidence you are referring to? No. Then there is no meaningful discussion to have. You believe there is evidence for god but cannot or will not state what it is. If you are convinced, fine. But you are giving the rest of us zero reason to take you seriously.

I say this not to be facetious and off topic, but if I told you that the purple monkey spirit lives in your liver, the evidence is in you and around you, would you be convinced?

You are taking this stance of subjectivity and yet claiming that you know that WE have evidence of god. That is contradictory.

i came here hoping to find some people that i could talk to .

I didn't.

i came here hoping to find some people that i could talk to .

I didn't.

I was respectful and polite to you.  If you had stayed on topic and not picked fights then this thread would still be in the Colosseum where I had intended it to be.

Hello Foak.

Would you be so good as to help me understand more of what you meant in post # 5, please?

In posts 1 thru 4, mymistake, Ficino, orbit and myself talk cosmology. 

We do so because we hold that cosmology gives us true and verifiable knowledge about reality.  

But you seem to consider the content of our posts to be... "the same old rhetoric"

So, could I ask you to explain why you think this, please?

Thanks,

BAA

rhetoric

[ret-er-ik]
noun
(in writing or speech) the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast.
the art or science of all specialized literary uses of language in prose or verse, including the figures of speech.
the study of the effective use of language.
the ability to use language effectively.
the art of prose in general as opposed to verse.
the art of making persuasive speeches; oratory.
(in classical oratory) the art of influencing the thought and conduct of an audience.

you are not going to convince me with your one sided argument that there is no God.

my experience is all i need, any evidence from some scientist is just a partial view at best and often wrong at worst.

Just look at our science history.

Many many things have been found to be untrue as a result of further investigation.

Only a fool would use science alone as the basis of their world view.

Now i would agree 100% that most of organized religion is leading people astray.

The only people i would ever tell to go to church are those that think they might get some benefit from it.

This does not mean that the writings do not contain what is needed to learn the truth.

Religion has caused people so many problems that most are running to the other end of the spectrum and are now insisting they understand life more clearly.

All that has happened is one perspective has been traded for another.

A person who is able to hold many perspectives on one idea is one who truly understands a subject.

You all know that science has nothing to say about the validity of religion one way or the other yet you stand on it as if it has proven that there is no God.

I call that foolishness.

What a load of rubbish.  I don't even know where to begin.

you can begin by apologizing

since you don't believe there is a god i  suppose you don't think it necessary to apologize either.

You deleted my apology so no one would see it and you come back here to talk to me about what?

Wow

You are the one with the problem and you want us to apologize to you?

Learn how to relate to people who have views that are different than your own.

There you go again being super civil and easy to talk to.  But it isn't your fault, of course.

Wow

yo udon't know what you are talking about now i remember why i put you on ignore

Wow

yo udon't know what you are talking about now i remember why i put you on ignore

Because the truth hurts.

Wow

Because the truth hurts.

Because he seems to be displaying the Dunning-Kruger effect.

From Wikipedia:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias manifesting in unskilled individuals suffering from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their own ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude. Conversely, people with true ability tend to underestimate their relative competence based on the erroneous or exaggerated claims made by unskilled people.

• Like 3

Wow

Because the truth hurts.

Because he seems to be displaying the Dunning-Kruger effect.

From Wikipedia:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias manifesting in unskilled individuals suffering from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their own ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude. Conversely, people with true ability tend to underestimate their relative competence based on the erroneous or exaggerated claims made by unskilled people.

nice

I bet there is a pill for that.

you are not going to convince me with your one sided argument that there is no God.

my experience is all i need, any evidence from some scientist is just a partial view at best and often wrong at worst.

Many many things have been found to be untrue as a result of further investigation.

Now i would agree 100% that most of organized religion is leading people astray.

The only people i would ever tell to go to church are those that think they might get some benefit from it.

This does not mean that the writings do not contain what is needed to learn the truth.

Religion has caused people so many problems that most are running to the other end of the spectrum and are now insisting they understand life more clearly.

A person who is able to hold many perspectives on one idea is one who truly understands a subject.

You all know that science has nothing to say about the validity of religion one way or the other yet you stand on it as if it has proven that there is no God.

I call that foolishness.

Emphasis mine.

Your experience is all you need. So at last you reveal that you are operating by anecdote and not logic.

I say that's a wrap, folks. We have a clear case of concern trolling infection. He really wants to talk, to share his awesomely different and totally true perspective with us all. Enlightenment is at hand, y'all!

The God of the Christian Bible has not been shown to have existed. There isn't one shred of hard evidence for its existence or the events as depicted in the ancient text. I view the Bible as being mythology and allegory. A collection of legends pieced together by various groups to explain their world at the times in which they were spoken and written. Nothing more.

There isn't any objective Truth to be found within the bounds of deities. There is no evidence for that which is beyond observable nature (the supernatural). I don't doubt that Foak has had his experiences. He may call them God or believe in the supernatural. That is what it is.

For the lurkers and fence-sitters, you should know that it is ok to believe whatever you want. It isn't ok to post those beliefs and insist that you know the Truth unless you actually have proof and can discuss your perspectives without attacking others on this site. There are no such things as modern messiahs and most revelations are made up in the mind, the product of stress and desire. Don't pretend to have special knowledge. Don't finger point, dodge, accuse, and engage in endless foot-dragging, goalpost shifting and other forms of trolling here.

The ex-c community doesn't tolerate it well and you will be called out.

Now if there any serious and intelligent folks out there who are up for serious and/or informal debate, please join us. :)

Thank you,

Seven77 aka the Evil Big Meanieface Animehead

• Like 6

I call that foolishness.

Emphasis mine.

Your experience is all you need. So at last you reveal that you are operating by anecdote and not logic.

I say that's a wrap, folks. We have a clear case of concern trolling infection. He really wants to talk, to share his awesomely different and totally true perspective with us all. Enlightenment is at hand, y'all!

The God of the Christian Bible has not been shown to have existed. There isn't one shred of hard evidence for its existence or the events as depicted in the ancient text. I view the Bible as being mythology and allegory. A collection of legends pieced together by various groups to explain their world at the times in which they were spoken and written. Nothing more.

There isn't any objective Truth to be found within the bounds of deities. There is no evidence for that which is beyond observable nature (the supernatural). I don't doubt that Foak has had his experiences. He may call them God or believe in the supernatural. That is what it is.

For the lurkers and fence-sitters, you should know that it is ok to believe whatever you want. It isn't ok to post those beliefs and insist that you know the Truth unless you actually have proof and can discuss your perspectives without attacking others on this site. There are no such things as modern messiahs and most revelations are made up in the mind, the product of stress and desire. Don't pretend to have special knowledge. Don't finger point, dodge, accuse, and engage in endless foot-dragging, goalpost shifting and other forms of trolling here.

The ex-c community doesn't tolerate it well and you will be called out.

Now if there any serious and intelligent folks out there who are up for serious and/or informal debate, please join us. smile.png

Thank you,

Seven77 aka the Evil Big Meanieface Animehead

i cant do  any thing but laugh at that.

must be you are the one who speaks for everyone else.

I pity those  who listen to you.

just a side note:

Experience is the only way to learn.

since you don't believe there is a god i  suppose you don't think it necessary to apologize either.

You deleted my apology so no one would see it and you come back here to talk to me about what?

For the record, foak did not apologise to me.  A fact that will come as a surprise to no one.

Damn, the nozzle on my can of troll-be-gone is blocked.  I might try running it under some hot water.

• Like 1

I believe because I want to believe.  No different from your garden variety xian.  Same logic, or lack, slightly different yarn. 

• Like 1

foak, several people here have genuinely tried to engage you in serious debate. You turn around and insult them for trying to establish the ground rules for a serious discussion. Is this some special trolling technique you've invented just for us? It is misplaced, because the people on this board are sincere; if you tried this anywhere else you'd be either swarmed and decimated or banned by now.

If you want to have a serious discussion, please define your terms, state your position, and provide your evidence. If not, you might as well pick up your marbles and go home.

• Like 1