Goodbye Jesus

Christianity And Personal Responsibility

Penguin

I did see End3's deflection of the topic, BAA, though I chose to humor him. I did take one or two cheap shots in the way I presented my points about his adherence to Christianity. Regardless of how I put the point, it still stands: Universalism is not a Christian doctrine.

As for taking End3 to task:

It is true he has yet to answer the question about personal responsibility within Christianity. Though I believe I deserved his "fuck you," he couldn't even take responsibility for that; he excused it as "responding to my avatar," rather than admitting that he was pissed at me.

As for personal responsibility within Christianity, there is none.

1 Peter 5:7

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. There is no encouragement here to own one's responsibilities.

Psalm 55:22

Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. Again, cast your cares on the Lord and let him take care of them. Don't bother to do anything about them yourself.

Matthew 6:11

Give us today our daily bread. Give us, rather than let us work for it.

Matthew 6:13b

...but deliver us from the evil one. In contradiction to James 4:7, Matthew encourages relying on God to protect one from the Devil, rather than James' advice to resist the Devil and make him flee.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Trust God, rather than think for yourself. Don't bother doing anything for yourself, but just submit to God and let him take care of it.

Never mind the numerous verses begging God for mercy and promising his leniency. The Christian then turns around and tells "sinners" they must pay for their sins. Christians won't even bother to defend their faith (again in contradiction to their Bible) because "the Holy Spirit will speak for me." Any time personal responsibility is demanded or encouraged in the Bible, it is contradicted by something else that says, "trust God, because you're worthless and helpless on your own."

Oh good God, this is what you get for listening to BAA. My "FU" was an attempt to lighten the mood of our conversation. One, I already responded to your original questions legitimately (will edit this post to give you the post number). Two, when you said I was a shitty Christian, I took responsibility and said yes. Three, Ravenstar and others have already pointed out the responsibilities of Christians as well as the Bible is full of said requirements. Long story short, that part of the conversation was in the books. I was moving on to another phase of thought.

If you would like to have a perpetual hard on for bashing and pinning Christians, you and BAA my gather for a circle jerk. It is my humble opinion that that is jousting at windmills.

Sarcasm is difficult to detect here, but for your knowledge base, I use it often. Thanks.

Post 21

Just so you know Penguin...

I joined this forum in Aug 09'.

Back then End was cussing, blaspheming, using personal insults and filthy language, sexual innuendos and dirty-minded imagery just as much as he's doing right now.  So in the space of five and a bit years his chosen method of self-improvement (Christianity) hasn't improved him one little bit.  If anything, since he's recently started putting people on 'ignore', he's got worse.

So please draw your own conclusions about this 'Christian'.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 2

End3,

You did not take responsibility for your lack of Christian behavior. I am not bashing Christians. I have raised a valid point, as well as evidence the Bible is contradictory in any calls it makes to personal responsibility. As you seem satisfied that you have answered the questions and taken responsibility, I conclude at this point that this thread has turned into the monkey chasing the weasel. For my part, I'm bowing out. I recommend we drop the topic.

It occurs to me via a friend, a Holy friend, that in order to maintain my ministry here, I will have to pass the plate. Please PM me for patronage/holiness levels and associated level fees. For example, level one, I will pray for you for a donation of $5.....which includes processing. As an added bonus you will receive my latest sermon in the mail free of charge. Praying as we speak brothers. God bless.

End3,

You did not take responsibility for your lack of Christian behavior. I am not bashing Christians. I have raised a valid point, as well as evidence the Bible is contradictory in any calls it makes to personal responsibility. As you seem satisfied that you have answered the questions and taken responsibility, I conclude at this point that this thread has turned into the monkey chasing the weasel. For my part, I'm bowing out. I recommend we drop the topic.

Crap, I thought we were going to be able to drink a few beers and holler fuck you at each other, but oh well. Go wash the starch out of your undergarments and we will catch you next time....my treat of course. Peace.

• Super Moderator

end3 - you take PayPal?

end3 - you take PayPal?

Yes, and you are going to enjoy, free of charge this month, my latest sermon, "Cosmology for Christians". Thanks Brother!

What about credit cards?

Guest Furball

Why wouldn't the appropriate statement be, "hey, good for you, I disagree with your methodology, but peace". Not many of you seem to get there. 

I agree with you end, why don't christians say hey, your an atheist, good for you, i disagree with your methodology,but peace. Not many of you christians seem to get there. 

• Like 3

Why wouldn't the appropriate statement be, "hey, good for you, I disagree with your methodology, but peace". Not many of you seem to get there.

I agree with you end, why don't christians say hey, your an atheist, good for you, i disagree with your methodology,but peace. Not many of you christians seem to get there.

My own opinion. Atheist was always a very scary word. I don't think people really give consideration that there are actually real people behind the title.....with real reasons.

My own opinion. Atheist was always a very scary word. I don't think people really give consideration that there are actually real people behind the title.....with real reasons.

But it isn't hate when they tell spooky stories about us and make up crap that didn't happen.  The fact that this misinformation makes everybody uncomfortable and scares Christians into not giving us consideration and kind of demonizes atheists . . . well that is all merely a coincidence.  No hatred here.

end3 - you take PayPal?

Yes, and you are going to enjoy, free of charge this month, my latest sermon, "Cosmology for Christians". Thanks Brother!

Many a true word spoken in jest, End.

Fyi Bhim, the RogueScholar and I will be making the free offer of tuition about Cosmology, right here in the Den, sometime next week.

I proposed this idea to them via PM last week and they're looking over my draft of the offer right now.  Once they've submitted their input we'll be ready to go.  Our target audience will be the Christians on this site.

Like your sermon, our course will be free.  

But there the resemblance ends, End.  Bhim's an astrophysicist, RS has offered to cover quantum physics and I'm a well-read amateur astronomer.  So we'll know what we're talking about - whereas you won't.  Also, our course will cover only the facts, the data, the evidence and the science of cosmology.  The religion (which plays no part in cosmology anyway) we leave to you.

Oh... and the other two essential differences are these.

We won't have anyone on 'ignore' and we don't need to use sexually-explicit images, dirty words and insults to get our message across.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 3

Guest Furball

and what do you think my real reasons for being an atheist are?

I don't know because I don't know you. If we had a relationship/knew each other, then it's more likely I would know your reasons. In that, then I would know you have REAL reasons and would be more likely to be empathetic. Scary/fear drives us apart. Have to go work. Will return.

I don't know because I don't know you. If we had a relationship/knew each other, then it's more likely I would know your reasons. In that, then I would know you have REAL reasons and would be more likely to be empathetic. Scary/fear drives us apart. Have to go work. Will return.

Do you know my reasons?

end3 - you take PayPal?

Fyi Bhim, the RogueScholar and I will be making the free offer of tuition about Cosmology, right here in the Den, sometime next week.

I proposed this idea to them via PM last week and they're looking over my draft of the offer right now.  Once they've submitted their input we'll be ready to go.  Our target audience will be the Christians on this site.

But there the resemblance ends, End.  Bhim's an astrophysicist, RS has offered to cover quantum physics and I'm a well-read amateur astronomer.  So we'll know what we're talking about - whereas you won't.  Also, our course will cover only the facts, the data, the evidence and the science of cosmology.  The religion (which plays no part in cosmology anyway) we leave to you.

We won't have anyone on 'ignore' and we don't need to use sexually-explicit images, dirty words and insults to get our message across.

Thanks,

BAA.

BAA,

is this for real? I am interested in learning about cosmology although my knowledge in this subject is close to zero. The highest level of physics that I understand is electronic circuits. My expertise is in fluid mechanics and it is more about calculus instead of physics. Quantum physics is way above my head. I only understand enough quantum mechanics to interpret 1H NMR results.

end3 - you take PayPal?

Thanks,

BAA.

BAA,

is this for real? I am interested in learning about cosmology although my knowledge in this subject is close to zero. The highest level of physics that I understand is electronic circuits. My expertise is in fluid mechanics and it is more about calculus instead of physics. Quantum physics is way above my head. I only understand enough quantum mechanics to interpret 1H NMR results.

Idk BAA, I sure thought I remember you telling us that the gravitational waves they measured were FACT of the BB. I digress to you being all well read and everything. Where's all your responsibility to the community here to correct your lying.

I'm giving you the opportunity to take back that accusation of lying you've just made against me, End.

In anticipation that a Christian might make such an accusation against me I've kept an exact record of what I said in May last year, when the BICEP2 results came out.

So, do you want to take that accusation back or do I have to show you exactly what I wrote?

You've got 60 minutes from the moment I post this!

end3 - you take PayPal?

Thanks,

BAA.

BAA,

Yes, StillLooking... this is for real.

Unlike End3's sermon this will be about reality.

When I say that it's a course, what I mean is that we'd like to begin a thread where we will freely offer to help the Christians grasp the basics of cosmology.  There are a number of foundational rules in cosmology that the Christians need to understand and accept, if they are to properly understand how cosmology works.  We hope to cover these necessary basics before (hopefully) going on to a wider and deeper understanding of cosmology.  

Now please don't fret about anything, SL!

What do I do for a living?  I'm a gardener.  I never made it to college - but I've loved astronomy with a deep passion since my teens and my understanding of things cosmological can be roughly described as being at the Scientific American level.  I get the general concepts - but no way can I do the math!  For that matter, I can't do electronics, fluid mechanics (Navier-Stokes?) or calculus, so you're w-a-a-a-y ahead of me as it is.  Anyway,  Bhim, RS and I have decided to pitch this offer at a 'popular science' level, so as not to spook or confuse anyone and so that I can keep up too.  Their scientific smarts will be on hand to help out... but only if needed.  I hope that sets your mind at rest. 

Ok, we had intended for there to be no fanfare or build-up prior to the new thread going being posted.

But the unintentionally spectacular timing of End3's "latest sermon" was just too good not to go unanswered.  Also, we had intended our target audience to be the Christians in this forum.  I won't have time to PM the RogueScholar or Bhim about it today, but as soon as I can I'll see what they say about throwing this course/thread open to everyone - Christians, Ex-Christians and non-Christians.  Since they're both regular guys I don't anticipate any problems there.

Thanks,

BAA.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but the cosmology police will never hurt me. I thought I would be surprised to find that you keep records on yourself, but...

I'm going to leave you alone so you may grieve Spock properly.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but the cosmology police will never hurt me. I thought I would be surprised to find that you keep records on yourself, but...

I'm keeping that window of opportunity open for you to take back you accusation of lying, End.

That's because (unlike you) I'm a man of word.

And no, I will not be grieving for Spock.

That would be illogical.  Spock was a fictional character, not a real person.  

You have 45 mins left.

Yet another thread has been infected and trashed by End3 with his "Me Me Me" attention whoring.

• Like 1

Sticks and stones?

But I didn't call you any names, End.  You're the expert in name-calling and personal insults, not me.

You have 28 mins left.

Sticks and stones?

But I didn't call you any names, End.  You're the expert in name-calling and personal insults, not me.

You have 28 mins left.

I'm going to need you to prove through documentation that you have not made any factual claims in this arena. You got on a kick there in a few threads back about how you could prove this and that. If you don't have proof, I hesitate to retract.