Goodbye Jesus

for TAP totallyatpeace

been borg again

Just who's reality are we talking about? Yours or mine?

I am fairly at peace with how I live my life.

If this is the case, then where does the feeling of failure come from? :shrug:

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Totallyatpeace

• dogmatically_challenged

• Fweethawt

• pandora

I am fairly at peace with how I live my life.

OOO! OOO!

I just thought of something!

Should we call you FAP now instead of TAP? :HaHa:

You are gaining ground afteral fwee! hehe

OOO! OOO!

I just thought of something!

Should we call you FAP now instead of TAP:HaHa:

:lmao:

You are gaining ground afteral fwee! hehe

I'm not trying to gain any ground. :shrug:

I'm not trying to gain any ground.  :shrug:

I know. My humor isn't so humorous all the time. Like a child, I sometimes type the garbage thats in my head without thinking first. I am a child.

I know. My humor isn't so humorous all the time. Like a child, I sometimes type the garbage thats in my head without thinking first. I am a child.

Welcome to the club... :grin:

I'm not trying to gain any ground.  :shrug:

Fwee, I know you are not trying to gain any ground. It's a dialogue.

Listen....... your argument doesn't work because it assumes I demand perfection. I don't demand or expect perfection and neither does the Bible. When I am intentionally trying to not do my best, than I can feel a bit guilty.

Let's take this back to where it started. The comment was that I was more like the Sunday preacher than I am like Christ. I said if that's true....then I have failed. Most sunday preachers scare me, to be honest (that's a joke) and I certainly don't try and live my life the way they do because I know that they struggle with life just the same as the rest of us.

However, the scripture does give me guidelines to live by and I do my best to follow them because I benefit from that and hopefully others do, too. I still believe the best example of how to live is Christ. I see him as a great example.

After Christ.......I'm going with Mom.

Tap

Should we call you FAP now instead of TAP:HaHa:

Isn't that the word Neil uses when he's masturbating?

Oooh, hot lesbians!!

fap fap fap fap fap!!!

The literal drowning in the flood... The literal burning for eternity in hell...

Does anybody else ever wonder if some Christians actually grasp the meaning of the word, "literal"?

or the gray haired grandmothers <snip> writhing in flames for all eternity. 

That would be me. :eek:

Do you suppose my fire-retardant PJ's would help a little?

Yes, the drowning. I remember when I read The Perfect Storm, with its detailed description of drowning, I was out of my mind from it for days.

Welcome to the club...  :grin:

Heh. :lmao: Thank you for the welcome! I was in that club the moment I learned to talk.

I wonder if the person who wrote "the perfect storm" was a christian?

Fascinating question. His name is Sebastian Junger and he has an extensive background in journalism. I doubt anybody could research and retell these smallest details of the experience of drowning and subscribe to the idea of a loving God who'd not only permit it but cause it.

The literal drowning in the flood...  The literal burning for eternity in hell...

Does anybody else ever wonder if some Christians actually grasp the meaning of the word, "literal"?

You mean if they know the literal meaning of the word literal?

If they don't they will never understand that sentence.

It's a paradox! (Pair of ducks - Quack, Quack)

:)

Listen....... your argument doesn't work because it assumes I demand perfection. 
You are correct. My argument wouldn't work if I assumed that you demand perfection.

The precise reason that my argument does work however, is due to the fact that the theology will always have you feeling like a failure because it lays out impossible goals. You will never live up to the standard, because the standard isn't possible.

Right there is part of the baggage. :shrug:

Which level of 'biblical' perfection can any person live up to? If you wanted to be the apple in God's eye by ripping the baby from a pregnant woman's belly, you could do that. Also, on a different level you could regenerate missing limbs for those who need them.

I guess that somewhere in between isn't perfect, is it? :scratch:

I don't demand or expect perfection and neither does the Bible.
Does this mean that if I bring up Matthew 5:48 again that you're going to show me the error of my contextual ways?

When I am intentionally trying to not do my best, than I can feel a bit guilty.
:Doh: I would love to hear an example. :HaHa:

Let's take this back to where it started.
Shall we? :HaHa: This part is going to be fun because you SO can't read. :HaHa:

The comment was that I was more like the Sunday preacher than I am like Christ. I said if that's true....then I have failed.
TAP, the comment was, that you were more like the Jesus that the preachers preach about rather than being like the biblical Jesus.

The reason I said that is, is because there is NO WAY that anyone can be like the biblical Jesus.

I never compared you to a preacher. :lmao:

Most sunday preachers scare me, to be honest (that's a joke) and I certainly don't try and live my life the way they do because I know that they struggle with life just the same as the rest of us.
Perhaps a small percentage of them fall into this. But for the most part, I wish that I could get paid for telling stories. I wish I could struggle like that.

However, the scripture does give me guidelines to live by and I do my best to follow them because I benefit from that and hopefully others do, too.
I don't understand this.

I still believe the best example of how to live is Christ.

I see him as a great example.

Biblically speaking, no he isn't and, no you don't.

After Christ.......I'm going with Mom.

Tap

To me, this is sad. The way I see it is, you are putting a character from a book whom you've never seen and more than likely will never see, ahead of a person who you can see now, but there will come a time when you never will again.

The evil heart of religion shows through. :ugh:

To me, this is sad. The way I see it is, you are putting a character from a book whom you've never seen and more than likely will never see, ahead of a person who you can see now, but there will come a time when you never will again.

The evil heart of religion shows through.  :ugh:

Fwee, you have hit the heart of my personal heartbreak.

You are correct. My argument wouldn't work if I assumed that you demand perfection.

The precise reason that my argument does work however, is due to the fact that the theology will always have you feeling like a failure because it lays out impossible goals. You will never live up to the standard, because the standard isn't possible.

Right there is part of the baggage.  :shrug:

Give me one example.

Which level of 'biblical' perfection can any person live up to? If you wanted to be the apple in God's eye by ripping the baby from a pregnant woman's belly, you could do that. Also, on a different level you could regenerate missing limbs for those who need them.

I guess that somewhere in between isn't perfect, is it? :scratch:

Does this mean that if I bring up Matthew 5:48 again that you're going to show me the error of my contextual ways?

:Doh: I would love to hear an example.  :HaHa:

Shall we?  :HaHa: This part is going to be fun because you SO can't read. :HaHa:

You're right. I'm so tired.

TAP, the comment was, that you were more like the Jesus that the preachers preach about rather than being like the biblical Jesus.

The reason I said that is, is because there is NO WAY that anyone can be like the biblical Jesus.

I never compared you to a preacher.  :lmao:

Perhaps a small percentage of them fall into this. But for the most part, I wish that I could get paid for telling stories. I wish I could struggle like that.

I don't understand this. 

And you've totally lost me. I'll read this again tomorrow.

Biblically speaking, no he isn't and, no you don't.

It was said, tongue in cheek. Lighten up.

The evil heart of religion shows through.  :ugh:

To those that don't understand.

This thread is some twenty pages long and I would have bowed out long ago if my name weren't on it. Not because I give up.........but because I have a life. Do you want to continue?

Matthew 5:48

Be ye therefore perfect, as your Father...

Perfect is used in the context of mercy or love. As, is as in likeness..

Translates as: Be loving and merciful to others in the same likeness that your father is loving or merciful to you.

You're right. Your context was poor.

Translates as: Be loving and merciful to others in the same likeness that your father is loving or merciful to you.

I would be arrested if I did that.

So if anyone doesn't voluntarily figure out what I want, and then do it, I can torture them in a firey place forever? Cuz that's just about as merciful as he is.

Sign me up!

So if anyone doesn't voluntarily figure out what I want, and then do it, I can torture them in a firey place forever?  Cuz that's just about as merciful as he is.

Sign me up!

He is the Creator. Not your peer.

Can I repeat this part?

This thread is some twenty pages long and I would have bowed out long ago if my name weren't on it. Not because I give up.........but because I have a life. Do you want to continue?

He is the Creator. Not your peer.

Can I repeat this part?

1 Corinthians 13 4"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

It would seem that god is not the peer of Gandhi.

1 Corinthians 13 4"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

It would seem that god is not the peer of Gandhi.

You're right.

Answer my question......

You're right.

Answer my question......

god contradicts his own definition of what love is. Gandhi though not perfect man, is gods superior in love and patience.