Goodbye Jesus

for TAP totallyatpeace

been borg again

I thought I might add my own piece to this thread. I realize that Hell is a very touchy subject for people but the odd thing is that Hell never bothered me as a Christian. I was certain that Hell existed for a reason and good old God had his reasons. My problems were always apologetical. I recall that I never talked about Hell with anyone, never tried Hell-talk as an evangelistic tool or a scare tactic, was never tormented by cruelty of Hell. But then again, I never really witnessed all that much to people either. Even when people knew I was a Christian, I would do something to set a bad or rude example (such as giving a student a mean body gesture equivalent to the middle finger) or I would blow any opportunity in another way; witnessing was simply out of the question for me.

I never found myself trying to explain Hell to someone or apologizing for it. I did use the old Evangelical rationalization about Yahweh ordering the murdering of women and children during the Canaan raids and massacres in Joshua. Norman Geisler would've been so proud of me! I didn't realize how deep an issue it was. I never dwelled on it. Inerrancy and historical criticism were always the sources of trouble for me.

Matthew

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Totallyatpeace

• dogmatically_challenged

• Fweethawt

• pandora

Yup to you, too, Pandora.

And maybe I don't know TAP well enough to do this speculating, either.

Yep. You got that right. But you can keep trying, if that's what makes you content.

For those that asked honest questions, I did my best to answer honestly in return.

Take care.

Yep. You got that right. But you can keep trying, if that's what makes you content.

Now that really does sound like my daughter, TAP.

;)

I'm too old to be your daughter, Pitchu.

Guest JP1283

TAP, are you sure you're not a closeted ExChristian?

We're contagious, TAP. If you hang around us long enough, you're gonna catch it.

Are you sure? I have one 43 and one 23. My Christian daughter is 41. Then there's the 19-year old granddaughter. You just kinda feel daughterly-like. Aren't you somewhere in there in age?

Now that really does sound like my daughter, TAP.

I see my own late teenage self in her too...

I see my own late teenage self in her too...

I think it's a phase all Christians go through. Is is a few years past conversion (maybe a couple decades if you are a cradle Christian).... how long has she been a Christian? How old is she? Hmm...

how long has she been a Christian?  How old is she?  Hmm...

One thing we know (and I'm not being sarcastic or coy) if she tells us, she'll tell us the truth.

I get the feelign that she would, and if she is that age, remind us that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Are you sure?  I have one 43 and one 23.  My Christian daughter is 41.  Then there's the 19-year old granddaughter.  You just kinda feel daughterly-like.  Aren't you somewhere in there in age?

I suppose I am. :)

However, if you were my momma, I might be a bit afraid to express my views. :grin:

However, if you were my momma, I might be a bit afraid to express my views.  :grin:

Why would you be afraid?

However, if you were my momma, I might be a bit afraid to express my views.  :grin:

There you go again, sounding just like my daughter. :lmao:

But you needn't be afraid to express your views to me or anybody here. We've been there, remember?

Take that step to another plateau in relating to us, TAP. Please do.

(Besides, when it comes to terrifying ol' Me, you at least, unlike my own daughter, don't have to be afraid I'll demon-charm your children away from you.)

TAP, are you sure you're not a closeted ExChristian?

We're contagious, TAP.  If you hang around us long enough, you're gonna catch it.

You are most definitely contagious. I have been analyzing that all day today.

cause pitchu is fucking scary as hell lol.

:nono:

I think you should take a closer look, Zoe.

:scratch:

:)

cause pitchu is fucking scary as hell lol.

:shrug: I'm a creampuff.

:twitch:

No?

:shrug: I'm a creampuff.

:twitch:

No?

... with maple frosting even. :grin:

:shrug: I don't know where that "scary as hell" comment came from. :shrug:

You are most definitely contagious. I have been analyzing that all day today.

Well...? And...? Your conclusion is...?

Zoe must have some irrational fear of pitchu.

There you go again, sounding just like my daughter. :lmao:

But you needn't be afraid to express your views to me or anybody here.  We've been there, remember?

Take that step to another plateau in relating to us, TAP.  Please do.

(Besides, when it comes to terrifying ol' Me, you at least, unlike my own daughter, don't have to be afraid I'll demon-charm your children away from you.)

I actually read that thread, Pitchu and I'm sorry for what you are going through.

Let me ask you something. Would it really please you to see me walk away from my faith? Do you really think I can't relate to you? Do you really think my mind is so closed that I can't hear anything else?

Ask me about Wicca.

Ask me about Buddhism.

Ask me about open marriages.

Ask me about space travel.

And ask me how each one of these relates to someone here who was willing to share a piece of their life with me.

I have spent a great deal of time here learning about world views, religious views and many other things. Not once, have I asked anyone to come back to Christianity.

You tell me.....who's life is richer by me being here? Mine is.

And it's not because I deconverted.

... with maple frosting even.  :grin:

:shrug: I don't know where that "scary as hell" comment came from.  :shrug:

Zoe is right and you know it, Fwee!

What kinda hit-woman for the mob am I gonna look like if you keep saying stuff like this?! :woohoo:

Guest Challenger
Ask me about space travel.

I'll take some of that action!

You tell me.....who's life is richer by me being here? Mine is.

It's been good for us also, TAP.

Ok this is the second time I've inadvertently defended TAP in this thread and I don't like it! :ugh:

Come the fuck on people, cognitive dissonance is not a hard thing to understand. Everyone here acting all hot and bothered about how she can believe in hell and ignore the fact that we are going there...

Every person on this site knows that there are children suffering and starving around the world. Thousands will die tonight. This is not even a religious speculation of maybe, this is a fact. To insist that TAP should be saving our souls from damnation is to insinuate that all of us should be out there running around saving every suffering kid from his fate. We don't do it. Why? Because we don't. We put that shit out of our minds hoping it goes away. We don't care (enough).

Instead we surf a message board and bash on the christian. Get over the self righteousness.

I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm cold and callous to strangers outside of my physical presence and take care of my own 'needs' as defined by my cultural biases and norms, my family's needs are my priority followed by my own pleasure. Some here are more and some are less philanthropic than this. So what?

On a larger scale, it's no different for anyone. And don't give me that crap about higher standards for christians or whatever. I'm tired of it. Just understand it, accept it, and get the hell over it. (no pun intended).