Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

"He truly loves us unconditionally and is always hoping for our return to Him...no matter how imperfect we are."

1510653_10206569000373435_36738132129186

This makes me sick now.  I cannot believe I never realized how much this resembles an abusive relationship.  It scares me to see female family members posts these memes; I wonder what they might be putting up with behind closed doors thinking it is love.

Yes, that is a very disturbing thought indeed. sad.png

tumblr_ng1ogq30DG1qhts2vo1_500.jpg

LMAO THAT'S SO CREEPY

Is there an app for that adds jesus to pics you take? If not, someone should make one. jesus.gif

• Like 1

"He truly loves us unconditionally and is always hoping for our return to Him...no matter how imperfect we are."

It now shocks me that I used to repeat all that common religious bullshit and thought it was coherent and true. It's mind-boggling how it took me so long to see through the nonsense. The reality is that unconditional love would never send anyone to hell.

10379904_2229428730428077_72154231120430

"Type Amen now to claim this prayer!"

If that had ever actually worked I would still believe in him...

If God can heal the sick, why can't he "inspire" decent graphic designers? Magenta and yellow... and that awful font. Urgh!

Fun fact: the most famous work of graphic design that's magenta and yellow (black and yellow is considered an acceptable substitute) is the radiation warning sign.

1185403_634059266612502_1243710242_n.jpg

When I opened the Bible I always ended up on some page about something deplorable happening while god endorses it or is directly causing it. I never understood this idea that reading the Bible is going to bring you closer to god. Reading the Bible is what caused me to lose faith.

I get a constant and steady stream of these holy crap graphics on my FB. I wish people would use FB to actually post some status updates. It makes me wonder if they just log into FB so they can hit share on the religious graphics each day.

The other big thing everybody keep sharing is that they're about to vote on gay marriage again and everyone thinks they are so clever with their "It's not Adam and Steve!" crap.

"It's Adam and Eve! Not Adam and Steve!"

Everyone: "Amen!" *click like and share a hundred times*

• Like 1

How does the devil flee if he's fainted?

When I opened the Bible I always ended up on some page about something deplorable happening while god endorses it or is directly causing it. I never understood this idea that reading the Bible is going to bring you closer to god. Reading the Bible is what caused me to lose faith.

I get a constant and steady stream of these holy crap graphics on my FB. I wish people would use FB to actually post some status updates. It makes me wonder if they just log into FB so they can hit share on the religious graphics each day.

The other big thing everybody keep sharing is that they're about to vote on gay marriage again and everyone thinks they are so clever with their "It's not Adam and Steve!" crap.

The devil must have...

One Hell of a migraine then!

*puts on sunglasses*

YEAHHH!3083500-8124964293-sungl.jpg

Bad joke...

• Like 1

But I'm already in a different army...

Kiss_Army_form.jpg

How does the devil flee if he's fainted?
Its supposed to say, "he gets fleas."

cm-today-beautiful-day-simply-because-go

Comment below picture: These are amazing "ice breakers"... I can spread the word to unbelievers and have them accept it without criticism!!

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

So you're saying God sculpts every individual day? The events of those days, what people do, say, think etc.. Well firstly, that disrupts the idea of free will, where's the "free will" if your god has already chosen what you and I are going to do. If he does exist, he has already made me write out this post to criticise this quote against his existence. Secondly, if he did make every single day and the events in it, why did he make me an atheist? Weird.

Comment below picture: These are amazing "ice breakers"... I can spread the word to unbelievers and have them accept it without criticism!!

So you're saying God sculpts every individual day? The events of those days, what people do, say, think etc.. Well firstly, that disrupts the idea of free will, where's the "free will" if your god has already chosen what you and I are going to do. If he does exist, he has already made me write out this post to criticise this quote against his existence. Secondly, if he did make every single day and the events in it, why did he make me an atheist? Weird.

Many Christians really believe exactly that, and still insist that you have a choice in the matter.

Huh, random quoted Xian, come again? 

These are amazing "ice breakers"... I can spread the word to unbelievers and have them accept it without criticism!!

What did I just read? freak3.gif

Also, today is a rainy, grey, dull day here, and I'm ill, with a dental operation a difficult exam coming up next week. Such a beautiful thing, this. Thanks god, sounds like a great plan. Yay. 49.gif

These are amazing "ice breakers"... I can spread the word to unbelievers and have them accept it without criticism!!

Also, today is a rainy, grey, dull day here, and I'm ill, with a dental operation a difficult exam coming up next week. Such a beautiful thing, this. Thanks god, sounds like a great plan. Yay. 49.gif

They think that about any thing they say that we think is too stupid to bother with arguing about. "The unbeliever didn't say I was wrong, it must be because they know I'm right and can't argue!"

Someone posted this, quoted from Timothy Keller:

"Unless you're willing to take full weight and responsibility of your sins, you're never going to get any relief."

Maybe trying to accomplish something positive in the world would be worthwhile? And I thought the whole point of getting saved is to get out of taking the full weight of and responsibility for your sins!

They think that about any thing they say that we think is too stupid to bother with arguing about. "The unbeliever didn't say I was wrong, it must be because they know I'm right and can't argue!"

I find sayings like that so presumptuous because no one knows what is going on in someone else's life.  Perhaps today is the day someone was diagnosed with inoperable cancer.  Or today is the day their spouse or child died.  Or today is the day the earthquake occurred and families were lost.  Every day is not a "beautiful" day for everybody.

• Like 3

From one of my fundie friends, who is only like, 15 or something: 

"if Satan puts thoughts into your head like, "I hate myself, I don't look pretty. I wanna be like so and so." Or even thoughts like, " I look gorgeous!" Or ," I am just so darn good at everything.", here is what you do: you pray for someone else. I did that and it really works. It takes those thoughts out. "

1) this is kind of contradicting. First satan tells you you aren't pretty, and then he tells you you're TOO pretty? 2)Those thoughts are not satan, that's just being human. And I don't know what to comment on that last part.

And honestly, I used to be soooo self depricating thinking nothing I did was good enough or that I didn't look good enough or this or that, and nowadays I can appreciate the fact I'm talented because of the way my brain works paired with years of hard work and dedication(not fucking god-given talent), and I also am able to appreciate how I look and there's NOTHING wrong with thinking you look good and having self confidence about how you look. And I think I can look pretty fucking gorgeous on good days =)

Anyway, I couldn't just sit on my hands and let her comment be, and I had to ask what's wrong with having self confidence and thinking you look good, SO we'll see what she says. Probably 'vanity is a sin'.

Someone posted this, quoted from Timothy Keller:

"Unless you're willing to take full weight and responsibility of your sins, you're never going to get any relief."

Maybe trying to accomplish something positive in the world would be worthwhile? And I thought the whole point of getting saved is to get out of taking the full weight of and responsibility for your sins!

Yeah, I too thought so! "Just leave your sins at the cross, you're forgiven because of the blood of the lamb!", etc.

"if Satan puts thoughts into your head like, "I hate myself, I don't look pretty. I wanna be like so and so." Or even thoughts like, " I look gorgeous!" Or ," I am just so darn good at everything.", here is what you do: you pray for someone else. I did that and it really works. It takes those thoughts out. "

1) this is kind of contradicting. First satan tells you you aren't pretty, and then he tells you you're TOO pretty? 2)Those thoughts are not satan, that's just being human. And I don't know what to comment on that last part.

And honestly, I used to be soooo self depricating thinking nothing I did was good enough or that I didn't look good enough or this or that, and nowadays I can appreciate the fact I'm talented because of the way my brain works paired with years of hard work and dedication(not fucking god-given talent), and I also am able to appreciate how I look and there's NOTHING wrong with thinking you look good and having self confidence about how you look. And I think I can look pretty fucking gorgeous on good days =)

Anyway, I couldn't just sit on my hands and let her comment be, and I had to ask what's wrong with having self confidence and thinking you look good, SO we'll see what she says. Probably 'vanity is a sin'.

Let us know if she responds. Meanwhile, I wonder what she does, in fact, think of herself.

Really? Really?

I'm not sure what the commenter is getting at. If I agree that it's a beautiful day, then I'm forced to shut up and agree that there exists a god who made it so? Does not compute.

The graphics itself harkens to Psalms 118:24. The message I get is not that God exists because the day is beautiful, but that the day is beautiful because God made it. The idea is to give cheer to people who already believe. The other interpretation would simply be the existential fallacy and a non sequitur.

The commenter clearly cannot think outside her/his bubble.

Let us know if she responds. Meanwhile, I wonder what she does, in fact, think of herself.

One of her friends responded this:

Self confidence is great though it can slide into boasting or arrogance sometimes. What I got out of this was think about and pray for others rather than focusing inward on ourselves.

My response: I agree boasting and arrogance are not becoming traits in most Humans, however looking at yourself in the mirror and thinking: Wow, I'm gorgeous!!" is not arrogance. I do think that people need more empathy towards others, but as long as you don't put yourself or others down, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging your skills and appearance.

The original poster then responded:  

what I meant {Dragon},  that phrase,"I look gorgeous," I was meaning that phrase in a proud tone.

^ it was supposed to be a proud sentence {Dragon}

Me: Being proud isn't a bad thing

OP:   I agree as longs as we give credit to the Lord for the gifts and talents he has given us to do those things

freak3.gif 

A lot of Christians don't know the difference between pride and arrogance. They can't discern that they are two different things and will often interchange the two words.

They always harken back to it being one of the seven deadly sins, where the author made the same mistake.

Pride is positive, it usually means confidence in one's abilities, satisfaction with something you've done, or are pleased with someone you've taught.

• Like 1

fear-and-faith-550x320.jpg

This is the kind of shit that I look at, sigh heavily and feel my heart sink as I become overwhelmingly concerned for humanity.

1) this is kind of contradicting. First satan tells you you aren't pretty, and then he tells you you're TOO pretty?

To be fair, it looks more like a couple different options (he could tell one person one thing and someone else another) rather than both going together, so it's not really a contradiction. Not that there's any validity to anything about that imaginary being, of course.