Goodbye Jesus

Ex Christians And Social Conscience.

Greatest I am

Let's not forget the Egyptian influence too.

Of course not. And also influence from astrology. I think that's extremely obvious.

They had a lot of influence over the Hebrews and the eventual development of Xian fiction. The Egyptian Book of the Dead is loaded with "Biblical sayings", except Horus came centuries earlier. He was definitely the beginning and the end, just as the Book of the Dead states. To was the sun for that matter, during the time of animism. I could continue, but the thing is, Xianity is not original, which you and I know Ouroboros. It's just a rewrite of ancient mythology.

Yes. It's a mash-up of ancient belief combined with Greek philosophy. That's why it's so compelling for many. The Gospels contain the favorite symbols from all the melting-pot culture in the Roman empire, infused with some "smart" thinking like the Golden Rule etc. It was very attractive to the Romans because it was a "Catholic" (uniting) religion.

It's quite simple to look in history at the most successful religions. They all have the component of incorporating other and older beliefs. Just look at how car designs have changed the last 20-30 years. They used to be boxy, and "futuristic" cars were smooth and round. The pictures of the future cars looked weird... but here they are, and they don't look weird anymore, but rather the opposite. The old boxy cars look outdated now (even though they looked hot and new in '85). And how did it happen? By slow and transitional change. Nothing too shocking at once, but a progressions of things we knew and recognized, but slightly different, until one day it's very different.

In essence, it's a matter of sales technique. You don't have to create the market for belief or religion, you only need to create a better product (or more attractive product) without alienate the old customers.

One simple question Mriana......why can you not accept that I may have a difficult time writing?

End, it's easy to accept that some people have a difficult time writing. It's harder (for me, at least) to understand why someone would choose to ignore the little squiggly red line which appears under a misspelled word. There's a difference between having a difficult time writing and being lazy or dismissive when actual help, in red, is offered.

Now I'm about to type a sentence using three of your misspelled words from just page seven of this thread:

Those who have an apptitude for throwing in the towell regarding their spelling errors may hender their acceptance as a conscientious contributor to the discussion.

Yours sincerely,

Non-spinster Two-cat Literature-loving Cracked Sweetie

Exactly, which puts another hole in his story about being a chemist. I don't think one can get through college and get a degree with spelling like that. I don't know a prof in my alma mater who would read his paper completely and give him a C or less for a grade.

Of course not. And also influence from astrology. I think that's extremely obvious.

They had a lot of influence over the Hebrews and the eventual development of Xian fiction. The Egyptian Book of the Dead is loaded with "Biblical sayings", except Horus came centuries earlier. He was definitely the beginning and the end, just as the Book of the Dead states. To was the sun for that matter, during the time of animism. I could continue, but the thing is, Xianity is not original, which you and I know Ouroboros. It's just a rewrite of ancient mythology.

Yes. It's a mash-up of ancient belief combined with Greek philosophy. That's why it's so compelling for many. The Gospels contain the favorite symbols from all the melting-pot culture in the Roman empire, infused with some "smart" thinking like the Golden Rule etc. It was very attractive to the Romans because it was a "Catholic" (uniting) religion.

It's quite simple to look in history at the most successful religions. They all have the component of incorporating other and older beliefs. Just look at how car designs have changed the last 20-30 years. They used to be boxy, and "futuristic" cars were smooth and round. The pictures of the future cars looked weird... but here they are, and they don't look weird anymore, but rather the opposite. The old boxy cars look outdated now (even though they looked hot and new in '85). And how did it happen? By slow and transitional change. Nothing too shocking at once, but a progressions of things we knew and recognized, but slightly different, until one day it's very different.

In essence, it's a matter of sales technique. You don't have to create the market for belief or religion, you only need to create a better product (or more attractive product) without alienate the old customers.

So why do you speculate that Christianity has persisted

So why do you speculate that Christianity has persisted

It's flexibility to change. The same reason why English has become so successful and popular as a language.

The Christianity you see today, and the teachings you hear, are not the same as 50 years ago, or 100, or 1,000 years ago. It's the ability to change with culture and social mores, and reinterpret itself to fit in, that makes it a survival religion.

The times Christianity gets into trouble is when it doesn't change with culture but holds on to old and outdated values.

Your question is basically to ask "Why do you speculate that cars have persisted" when in fact the cars have changed. Cars are cars. They have four wheels and an engine, but they're not the same kind of cars as 30 years ago. But the concept of "car" persist. And why? Because it's a useful tool for many. For you, Christianity is useful for you to make sense of things, but it's not for me. If I use a bike or bus, you shouldn't be judging me because you love your car.

One simple question Mriana......why can you not accept that I may have a difficult time writing?

End, it's easy to accept that some people have a difficult time writing. It's harder (for me, at least) to understand why someone would choose to ignore the little squiggly red line which appears under a misspelled word. There's a difference between having a difficult time writing and being lazy or dismissive when actual help, in red, is offered.

Now I'm about to type a sentence using three of your misspelled words from just page seven of this thread:

Those who have an apptitude for throwing in the towell regarding their spelling errors may hender their acceptance as a conscientious contributor to the discussion.

Yours sincerely,

Exactly, which puts another hole in his story about being a chemist. I don't think one can get through college and get a degree with spelling like that. I don't know a prof in my alma mater who would read his paper completely and give him a C or less for a grade.

Do you think Mriana that I might use a little more care here at work or at my home business? Must I adhere perfectly to the grammatical rules or is the intent of my communication more important.

Yes, but I like the old boxy cars better. That might be why I like the sun so much too. ;) They are originals. The sun treats me just fine too. :D

Yours sincerely,

Do you think Mriana that I might use a little more care here at work or at my home business? Must I adhere perfectly to the grammatical rules or is the intent of my communication more important.

I don't know. Ask pitchu. She pointed out your spelling. I just said I do not see any support for claims concerning your profession and how many hours you work. I see contradictions galore. It's as bad as your knowledge of Xianity, which is little to nothing. Oh and yes, if you want to communicate, you should pay close attention to your writing, otherwise people are going to say you don't make any sense.

I don't know. Ask pitchu. She pointed out your spelling. I just said I do not see any support for claims concerning your profession and how many hours you work. I see contradictions galore. It's as bad as your knowledge of Xianity, which is little to nothing. Oh and yes, if you want to communicate, you should pay close attention to your writing, otherwise people are going to say you don't make any sense.

No, you do know. You are demanding that I communicate perfectly so I will make sense to you. Then, you refuse to enter into a relationship with me, one that will give you understanding of why I am not perfect and unable to make perfect sense.....which btw, is true for all of us. Then, to reinforce your position, you attempt to beat me down more with my imperfections.

I will try not to by hypocritical by pointing out where your lack of Christian knowledge is on this matter.

I'm going to quit beating on you Mriana. I'm making myself feel bad. If you would like to talk without defaming my position too severely, perhaps a sacrifice on your part, I shall do the same that we might find some Unity. Sup to you girlfriend.

No, you do know. You are demanding that I communicate perfectly so I will make sense to you. Then, you refuse to enter into a relationship with me, one that will give you understanding of why I am not perfect and unable to make perfect sense.....which btw, is true for all of us. Then, to reinforce your position, you attempt to beat me down more with my imperfections.

I will try not to by hypocritical by pointing out where your lack of Christian knowledge is on this matter.

End,

It is very often a real struggle to understand the points you try to make. The patterns and connections you try to make between the real world and your particular interpretation of the Bible are often very wild and unsupportable - quite random in fact, like not even the most basic ratiocinations have been applied to make said principles/patterns justifiable. It's like you have an imaginative idea and want it to be true so badly that "voila!" it is therefore true.

But biblical interpretation (or any other kind of textual interpretation) doesn't work that way. One is creative writing, the other is analysis.

Perhaps the foundation to the cogency problem is that you are busy with work. Perhaps it would be wise to consider waiting until you have more time available to formulate your ideas in rough draft form then, once you have ironed things out, present a more worked over version instead of the from the hip ideas you have. Just something to consider.

But I don't think the hint that people just aren't spiritual enough to understand the points you make is either valid or promising as a fruitful direction of argument. In fact, it seems more like a way of digging your heels in without having to defend your personal, favorite ideas. Perhaps you think people are just too stubborn to try to understand you. I don't think that is the case either. I make resounding efforts to understand what you write and see the logic or coherency in your ideas. I suspect most people make such efforts as well.

I don't mean this as an attack. I just think we could all benefit if your ideas were laid out a little more clearly.

Thanks for listening.

OB

• Like 1

Waitaminut End!

You joined on Sept 15 2007 and you still think that we Ex-Christians want some kind of "relationship" with you in the Lion's Den?

Here's a reality check for you - free of charge. I'll even shout it out loud for you.

THE ONLY THING WE WANT FROM ANY TRUE (OR FAUX) CHRISTIANS IS THEIR BLOOD ON OUR CLAWS AND ON OUR FANGS!

You enter here at your own peril. Haven't you grasped that simple fact yet? :Doh:

You are our food, our repast, our meat. :die:

Asking us to be nice to you will just make us nastier.

Deal with it.

BAA.

• Like 2

Now why would I want to have a relationship with a man who acts like that which he accuses others of being and is a hypocrite Xian? How can you point out my lack of Xian knowledge when you lack Xian knowledge and know far far less about religion than do? You cannot know what I do not know about Xianity when you lack far less knowledge about Xianity than I do and more than likely never taken any religious courses in college. Oops! You didn't actually go to college, but do enjoy making up stories about how you became a chemist without education.

I'm going to quit beating on you Mriana. I'm making myself feel bad. If you would like to talk without defaming my position too severely, perhaps a sacrifice on your part, I shall do the same that we might find some Unity. Sup to you girlfriend.

I'm not your girlfriend and I already stated I do not wish to have a relationship with you, as well as why.

• Super Moderator

Get a room!

End,

It is very often a real struggle to understand the points you try to make. The patterns and connections you try to make between the real world and your particular interpretation of the Bible are often very wild and unsupportable - quite random in fact, like not even the most basic ratiocinations have been applied to make said principles/patterns justifiable. It's like you have an imaginative idea and want it to be true so badly that "voila!" it is therefore true.

But biblical interpretation (or any other kind of textual interpretation) doesn't work that way. One is creative writing, the other is analysis.

Perhaps the foundation to the cogency problem is that you are busy with work. Perhaps it would be wise to consider waiting until you have more time available to formulate your ideas in rough draft form then, once you have ironed things out, present a more worked over version instead of the from the hip ideas you have. Just something to consider.

But I don't think the hint that people just aren't spiritual enough to understand the points you make is either valid or promising as a fruitful direction of argument. In fact, it seems more like a way of digging your heels in without having to defend your personal, favorite ideas. Perhaps you think people are just too stubborn to try to understand you. I don't think that is the case either. I make resounding efforts to understand what you write and see the logic or coherency in your ideas. I suspect most people make such efforts as well.

I don't mean this as an attack. I just think we could all benefit if your ideas were laid out a little more clearly.

Thanks for listening.

OB

Look OB, y'all got people here calling people like me retarded and also flat denying credibility when they themselves don't even have the fundamental message of the Bible down. Nor are they willing to sacrifice their pride to even listen to opposing views in real dialogue. I am difficult to understand. AM is as well, but because he is not a Christian, his is accepted as "brilliance".

I don't take your words as an attack. But you take Mriana. She is holding me to essentially the OT law....write to this standard or "die", in her current stage of maturity instead of me making allowances for my shortcomings, my "sins", i. e. the NT covenant. I do the same. But the kicker is, instead of even ATTEMPTING that, she dismisses me as whatever the adjective of the day is under the ilk that she understands what Christianity IS and ISN'T!! By FUCKING ARROGANT PERSONAL CHOICE no less.

I digress.

Waitaminut End!

You joined on Sept 15 2007 and you still think that we Ex-Christians want some kind of "relationship" with you in the Lion's Den?

Here's a reality check for you - free of charge. I'll even shout it out loud for you.

THE ONLY THING WE WANT FROM ANY TRUE (OR FAUX) CHRISTIANS IS THEIR BLOOD ON OUR CLAWS AND ON OUR FANGS!

You enter here at your own peril. Haven't you grasped that simple fact yet? :Doh:

You are our food, our repast, our meat. :die:

Asking us to be nice to you will just make us nastier.

Deal with it.

BAA.

So the respect you were showing me before in your posts was a lie?

No. The cake is a lie.

Get a room!

Not with him! I'd rather get a room with you though. Much safer. :)

No. The cake is a lie.

If I am understanding you correctly, yes. Very few here have the maturity to accept opposing positions. Hell, why would we want to be friends.

What an insurmountable bunch of ignorance.

I'm a potato.

No. The cake is a lie.

If I am understanding you correctly, yes. Very few here have the maturity to accept opposing positions. Hell, why would we want to be friends.

At least my slow-clap processor still works...

End,

Thanks for listening.

OB

Look OB, y'all got people here calling people like me retarded and also flat denying credibility when they themselves don't even have the fundamental message of the Bible down. Nor are they willing to sacrifice their pride to even listen to opposing views in real dialogue. I am difficult to understand. AM is as well, but because he is not a Christian, his is accepted as "brilliance".

I don't take your words as an attack. But you take Mriana. She is holding me to essentially the OT law....write to this standard or "die", in her current stage of maturity instead of me making allowances for my shortcomings, my "sins", i. e. the NT covenant. I do the same. But the kicker is, instead of even ATTEMPTING that, she dismisses me as whatever the adjective of the day is under the ilk that she understands what Christianity IS and ISN'T!! By FUCKING ARROGANT PERSONAL CHOICE no less.

I digress.

I didn't see the word "retarded" in OB's post nor did I once ever use the word. There you go pointing fingers at others, when you yourself actually used that word, last I checked. This lacks credibility on your part. No one said I AM was "brilliant" either. I also never held you to the OT Law either. It is just a fact that most Xians consider the language you use un-Xian. That has nothing to do with the OT alone. They can find cause in the NT also for not using the language you use. Again, this show you lack credibility, not us. Again, the question of maturity lies with you, given all the tantrums you've thrown just in this thread alone. You lack credibility as even a Xian. This is not arrogant personal choice on my part. It is just a fact that Xians hold other Xians to a certain standard and if you don't fit the criteria, they don't consider you a Xian. Again, there goes your credibility even as a Xian. Remember, when you point one finger, three point back at you.

• Super Moderator
Much safer. :)

Ye of little faith. Just saying.