Goodbye Jesus

Boring Post Thread

ContraBardus

I am smoking my new vapor cigarette. It's a classy looking black one like the movie stars used to hold their cigarettes in. Let me take another puff.

That's not boring. It's exciting that you are doing this!!!!

Having some chips and guacamole for dinner.  Had a big lunch.

teal-deer_by_nyaasu.jpg

I understand the pop culture reference this one is making and it shames me.

I'm making tacos tonight. Served in little tortilla boats.

• Like 1

I am smoking my new vapor cigarette. It's a classy looking black one like the movie stars used to hold their cigarettes in. Let me take another puff.

You should just quit.

Initial research suggests they are better than cigarettes, but probably not a healthy alternative to them either. Nicotine is addictive and unhealthy on it's own, it's bad for your heart amongst other things.

Plus, while the "flavors" used in these devices are safe for consumption, they may not be safe to inhale. Other chemicals used in the liquid in the devices are also not consistent and may be harmful. They could be just as prone to causing cancer as cigarettes in the long run.

The e-cigarette may be better than their carcinogenic alternatives, but there is no evidence that supports the claims that they are harmless or healthy either. In fact, there is no long term research on their use and they may in fact actually be just as bad if not worse. Chewing tobacco and snuff are extremely unhealthy without being burned and there's no reason to believe that e-cigarettes are any better.

Quitting isn't as hard as people say it is. It's not simple, but people exaggerate the difficulty to create excuses for their own weakness. They're expensive and the price can be a good motivator.

I've been quit for three years now, no meetings, no patches, no gum, nothing. I just stopped buying the damn things. I felt like shit for about a month, a little cruddy for three, and now I can't stand the smell of tobacco smoke of any sort. It disgusts me and I have no desire to smoke anymore. I do get a phantom craving when I'm sitting about doing nothing on very rare occasions, but it's more the physical action of doing something with my hands than any desire to actually have a cigarette. I can easily satisfy it with a pen or a lollypop.

Stop buying them, don't hang around people that are smoking, avoid activities and places where you're used to smoking, and get rid of everything at once, don't tell yourself "after this pack" throw any you have left away right away and then remove that trash from your home immediately, get rid of all lighters, if you have need of one or two for utility purposes put them in places where it's inconvenient to get at them, throw away all your ash trays, clean up any errant ash, get rid of or avoid sitting in furniture you're used to sitting and smoking in especially if it's cloth covered [at the very least clean them to help get rid of the tobacco smell that's probably soaked in], don't let other people smoke in your house or around you, and keep your hands and mouth busy.

Seriously, it doesn't feel good, but it's not as hard as people pretend it is. Most of that is psychological and the difficulty comes from telling yourself how hard it is and listening to people when they tell you how hard it is. Every time someone would tell me that it's hard, or that it must be hard, I'd tell them and myself that it really wasn't that hard and that it's just something people tell themselves to create an excuse to be miserable about it and make it easier to give up, because that's basically true.

Withdrawal sucks, but it's not the debilitating, crushing weight everyone likes to pretend it is either. In regard to cigarettes is simply an annoyance, but one that can easily be survived with only a little persistence and willpower. Thinking about the cost of the habit definitely helps muster up enough of both.

• Like 2

OF...I am soooooo excited about this!!! You are right hon..kiss.gif.......it should NOT be in the boring thread!! 4 hours without a real cigarette!!!

yellow.gif jesus.gif ukliam2.gif madhopA.gif vent.gif 58.gif clap.gif moon.gif rotfl.gif happydance.gif yellow.gif   

Vaping is not smoking. It "is" safer and cheaper than traditional cigarettes. I can say that through personal experience based on how I physically feel, which is way better. I don't care if there are risks. It is a pleasure that may have consequences and I'm ok with that. And I personally don't want to live until I'm in my 80's/90's and a burden to others, so it's worth the risk for the pleasure to "me".

• Like 1

OF...I am soooooo excited about this!!! You are right hon..kiss.gif.......it should NOT be in the boring thread!! 4 hours without a cigerette!!!

yellow.gif jesus.gif ukliam2.gif madhopA.gif vent.gif 58.gif clap.gif moon.gif rotfl.gif happydance.gif yellow.gif   

Awesome! way to go Margee!

• Like 1

Too much input.

Vaping is not smoking. It "is" safer and cheaper than traditional cigarettes. I can say that through personal experience based on how I physically feel, which is way better. I don't care if there are risks. It is a pleasure that may have consequences and I'm ok with that. And I personally don't want to live until I'm in my 80's/90's and a burden to others, so it's worth the risk for the pleasure to "me".

I don't want to 'steal' the boring thread and I know that CB and Brother Jeff have made some very good points that I appreciate, but I am going to give this a honest try. I have been smoking since I was 12 years old. I have tried the patch, the gum, hypnosis and acupunture. I feel like I could do this. Thank you all for your support today.

Now, back to boring........ yawn......

I'm with ContraBardus on this. JUST QUIT!!

I quit smoking 12 years ago. I used the nicotine patch and wanted to kill somebody for about three days, but then I was fine. I have been nicotine-free ever since and will never go back. I have zero desire to smoke anything at all now. Nicotine is an addictive poison, which you are still getting from those e-cigarettes, which have not been thoroughly researched, which are unregulated so you don't know what the hell is in them, and that still damage your heart and your lungs. 

I am very happy that you want to quit smoking, but e-cigarettes are not the way to go! You may be avoiding some of the harm of regular cigarettes, but you are still poisoning yourself and you are still shortening your lifespan. 

I will say it again -- JUST QUIT!! YOU CAN DO IT! You may feel like shit for a few days, but then the worst of the nicotine withdrawal will be over and you will be FREE! And, you won't be spending money on risky, still poisonous e-cigarettes.

• Like 1

It's funny how people say this sort of thing before the consequences occur, and then quickly change their tune once they do.

I volunteer at Shands UF, I help with the Arts in Medicine program and recently I've been bringing Virtual Reality to long term patients with the Oculus Rift. As a result I speak to a lot of patients who have lifestyle choice related illnesses like cancer so I know for a fact that's true.

Chewing and sucking on snuff isn't smoking either, but neither one is truly any safer than smoking is and lack the immediate negative respiratory impact as well. I see no reason to believe that "Vaping" is any different. Feeling better in the short term does not necessarily equate to feeling better in the long term.

You might not be willing to accept the risks, but that doesn't mean that my advice wasn't sound or that simply quitting is not the better choice.

• Like 1

Sure it's the better choice to just quit everything. But for some people that is a very painful and stressful thing to do, just like that, cold turkey. You can't compare vaping to snuff  they are completely different things. When long-term vapor users start to develop cancer, I will take your word for it, but until that happens, I won't try and debate the issue any further.

• Like 1

I need to take a quick Piss in the Spook. Is that boring or TMI? Wendytwitch.gif GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

OF...I am soooooo excited about this!!! You are right hon..:kiss:.......it should NOT be in the boring thread!! 4 hours without a real cigarette!!!

Four hours!! That's fantastic!!

I need to take a quick Piss in the Spook. Is that boring or TMI? Wendytwitch.gif GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Yes.

The football game is at halftime. I am full of mashed potatoes and flax muffins. And I am bored.

It is 9:29pm. I am listening to music and bitching about my life.

Ex-smoker here.  My quitting was easy-peasy thanks to Champix.  It's a miracle drug.

This month I lost an aunt and uncle to cancer and a friend's father died from it this week, then yesterday I find out that a beloved friend of 20+ years has it at only 43.  It's not about the age at which you die, it's about how much suffering you have to go through in the years before you die.

For me, smoking and vaping are not worth the risk.

Ex-smoker here.  My quitting was easy-peasy thanks to Champix.  It's a miracle drug.

This month I lost an aunt and uncle to cancer and a friend's father died from it this week, then yesterday I find out that a beloved friend of 20+ years has it at only 43.  It's not about the age at which you die, it's about how much suffering you have to go through in the years before you die.

I quit smoking 12 years ago, and I'm still alive because I did. I was getting very short of breath and had a long history of many bouts of serious bronchitis. I would go to the hospital for a breathing treatment and then a few minutes later I would be outside having a smoke. That's really stupid, but that's addiction for you. I have not smoked anything in 12 years, except for once in 2009. I smoked marijuana once because the opportunity presented itself. It felt awesome (I love the stuff, and I was a major teenage pothead!) but my lungs complained about it for days. 

I'm sorry for your losses... (((HUGS)))

I'm staring at my boring phone.

10703802_842980885726494_293000243182403

I quit smoking 12 years ago, and I'm still alive because I did. I was getting very short of breath and had a long history of many bouts of serious bronchitis. I would go to the hospital for a breathing treatment and then a few minutes later I would be outside having a smoke. That's really stupid, but that's addiction for you. I have not smoked anything in 12 years, except for once in 2009. I smoked marijuana once because the opportunity presented itself. It felt awesome (I love the stuff, and I was a major teenage pothead!) but my lungs complained about it for days. 

I'm sorry for your losses... (((HUGS)))

Another ex-smoker here who would without doubt be dead if I'd kept going. I only quit a few years ago, but my health problems were related to my respiratory system. Every doctor I've spoken too said without doubt that the fact that I quit smoking saved my life. I was nearly dead when I was admitted to the hospital as it was and that's not an exaggeration in the slightest.

It's been a universal consensus that if I had been smoking at the time I wouldn't have lived long enough to get treatment for my problem.

My health issues weren't directly related to my previous years of smoking, it was a congenital problem, but it was clearly aggravated by my former habit.

I just stopped buying them. I was too cheap for drugs, patches, or gum, and too lazy for meetings or support groups. I threw away most of a pack, all of my smoking crap, and didn't look back. The price of a pack became enough to motivate me to put up with withdrawal and it wasn't nearly as bad as many people made it out to be. Considering the horror stories I'd always heard about quitting and how awful going without was made out to be I figured it would be a lot worse than it actually was, and I had been smoking for more than half my life when I quit.

I've seen what you're talking about Brother Jeff. You'd be amazed how many people are on the corner sidewalk of Shands sitting in the shade in a hospital gown with a cigarette and an oxygen tank. It's like that rain or shine no matter how hot or cold it is. It's a sad sight indeed.

I hate walking by that spot on several levels, but you've got to go by it to reach the entrance from the parking garage. No one is allowed to smoke on the Hospital Campus grounds so they all gather there by the sidewalk just off the edge of the campus on the sidewalk by the main road.

1008705.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.