Goodbye Jesus

Boring Post Thread

ContraBardus

In terms of boring, that was epic.  EthelCGoldMedal.gif

• Like 1

I think it would be fun to create a random Bible verse generating page that just strings random biblical sounding words together, but also mix in actual Bible verses. Make people sign in name their affiliation and challenge them to distinguish between the two. Then post the results of what percentage of each group got correct.

It would have to have a certain percentage that are actual verses, but within a range and not a static number. For example, out of twenty quotes five are an actual Bible Quote and five are not, but the rest can be either one. It would include all Bible verses and not just the nice cherry picked sounding ones as well.

Come to think of it, this would also make an awesome gameshow.

I would watch this show. I would also play this online game.  I'm a bitch though and my percentages would be different. Instead 50% on the first half, I'd go with a much lower 25% real, 25% poorly faked, and 50% well-faked. The other 50% would a mix of real and well-faked. I'd also make it a leveled game and make it to wear you have to keep Jesus from dying or something. Every wrong answer gets Jesus closer to the cross, then every wrong answer causes him to suffer more until he dies. If you don't get enough right answers, he can't resurrect. How sad. NOT.

The early rounds would be NT based because most Christians don't know enough about the OT for that to be a fair fight. Later rounds would include OT and NT, and would be progressively more difficult. There are ~31,000 verses in the Bible, so there is plenty of legit material. And if you are a mean person like me, you'd write the code to do purely malicious shit such as switching out names and places or stupid nitpick-y shit like they do on the last round of American Bible Challenge.

-----------

In other boring news, I got called into work last night. Yeehaw. Got home around 5am, went to sleep for a bit and woke up about a half hour ago to a giant puddle of blood on my pillow. Apparently I had a massive nosebleed. It looks like someone got murdered. Pillow is soaked, pillowcase is gone, blood on wall, blood on dog, blood all over my face and hands. It was some sick shit. So much for some peaceful rest. Weird thing was, I had a dream that I got hit in the face this morning.

That's not too boring, I suppose. The kicker was that my mother didn't notice when I was talking to her. I had a blood goatee and blood all down my neck and she was like "ho hum, MOAR gmorning.gif ."

I gotta go give my chihuahua a bath. That's boring. Zzzzzzz.

• Super Moderator

I think it would be fun to create a random Bible verse generating page that just strings random biblical sounding words together, but also mix in actual Bible verses. Make people sign in name their affiliation and challenge them to distinguish between the two. Then post the results of what percentage of each group got correct.

It would have to have a certain percentage that are actual verses, but within a range and not a static number. For example, out of twenty quotes five are an actual Bible Quote and five are not, but the rest can be either one. It would include all Bible verses and not just the nice cherry picked sounding ones as well.

Come to think of it, this would also make an awesome gameshow.

I would watch this show. I would also play this online game.  I'm a bitch though and my percentages would be different. Instead 50% on the first half, I'd go with a much lower 25% real, 25% poorly faked, and 50% well-faked. The other 50% would a mix of real and well-faked. I'd also make it a leveled game and make it to wear you have to keep Jesus from dying or something. Every wrong answer gets Jesus closer to the cross, then every wrong answer causes him to suffer more until he dies. If you don't get enough right answers, he can't resurrect. How sad. NOT.

The early rounds would be NT based because most Christians don't know enough about the OT for that to be a fair fight. Later rounds would include OT and NT, and would be progressively more difficult. There are ~31,000 verses in the Bible, so there is plenty of legit material. And if you are a mean person like me, you'd write the code to do purely malicious shit such as switching out names and places or stupid nitpick-y shit like they do on the last round of American Bible Challenge.

Hmmm...  Just to make it even more interesting, how about we throw in some real verses from the apochrypha and the pseudepigrapha?  Maybe even a few from the gospels of Thomas, Judas, and others?

I wish the cafeteria at work would go back to the granola they used to have. The granola they're using now isn't very good on oatmeal. I would bring in my own granola, but if I bring in a bag or a box of it, I end up snacking on the whole thing and gaining weight. By buying it in the cafeteria every day, I spend a bit more money, but I also get portion control.

I'm working at home today.

• Super Moderator

I leave my lunch in my truck while I'm working.  This way, the heat from the sun slowly warms my food up throughout the morning so that it is at the perfect temperature by lunch time.  I do this because the idea of eating food that has been irradiated by microwaves is highly unsettling to me.

• Super Moderator

I got a flu shot this morning.

My cubicle has a file cabinet built into the desk. There's a cheap little lock to lock the file drawers but the lock cylinder fell out a long time ago. I don't even know why they use these cheap locks because everyone has the same key anyway. I used to keep my pay stubs in there so I locked the drawer but anyone could have opened it up. All my pay stubs are online now anyway. The website where I can find them is horrible. It's password requirements are complex and they expire every 90 days. Since I only check my pay stubs every few months I almost always forgot my last password, which has probably expired anyway, so I have to go through the password retrieval steps. Once I get my temporary password I have to change it to a new password which cannot be like any of my past 10 passwords. Even though I forgot my old password the new one I want to use is always too close the the last one I forgot so I have to make up a new password. Since I had to make a new password that I've never used I end up forgetting it the next time I need to see my pay stub and have to go through this whole thing all over again. It's annoying. 

Speaking of passwords. One of my jobs as a sys admin used to be running password crackers against the old Windows NT SAM database. People tend to use their favorite sports teams, kids names, and sometimes even their sexual orientation in their passwords. Living close to Dallas I would see Cowboys#1 quite often. I doubt I would see that much now since the Cowboys have sucked for a long time. It was always a contest among us admins to see which one of our passwords took the longest to finally get cracked. Mine always took the same amount of time because I never changed it. We admins are lazy nerds who never follow the rules. Speaking of rules, once we forced strong passwords that must contain special characters, numbers, upper and lower case, and could not contain any words backwards or forwards that were checked against a database of words containing articles like "an" and "it" we didn't have to run the password cracker anymore. Strong passwords are very secure and take modern computing power more than a human lifetime to crack. The passwords were so difficult to create and remember all the users started writing them down on sticky notes and put them under their keyboards. If they didn't do this their account would automatically lock out after the third failed attempt to logon. Nobody wants to call the helpdesk to have their account re-enabled and their password reset. The people who do call always blame someone else for trying to hack their account but we know damn well they just lost their sticky note. Users are liars like that. It's like when someone deletes a file on the file server. I can restore them easily. About 1 in 20 users who need a file restored accuse of admins of deleting them. There's like five million files on the server but we just decided to delete theirs when we knew it would be the most inconvenient for them. Also, telling me they are at a work stoppage because of their missing file won't make me feel any more sense of urgency. I hear that all the time. Also, accusing me of deleting their power point presentation doesn't make me want to restore it faster. Executives are the worst. They are notorious for thinking us admins are reading their important files and emails (we do but we are smart enough to not tell anyone). So they won't store anything on the network and when they delete something off their workstation they think we can magically restore it. We don't back up workstations, not even executives, because they didn't want to pay for the software licenses. Ugh...

• Like 2

Oatmeal. The most boring food ever?

I think not!

$%28KGrHqN,!n0FHdQY2RglBR8,Phszww~~60_35

Anybody else remember this stuff? It tastes like my childhood! When my family actually had money, us kids would be allowed to pick some special things. I loved this stuff and mainlined entire boxes of it in like 2 days. I was never one to delay gratification. It was so delicious to my kid palette. Now, I don't even want to imagine eating this stuff. Those dino eggs were fucking bogus. Only sea monkeys ever ripped children off harder.

sea_monkey_pic_0.jpg

Sea monkeys were and still are very fucking boring. They aren't the slightest bit interesting. They just float around in the water, like dirty bits of dissolving paper. WTF? Who was the mastermind behind that sham? Did they get rich?

Ah, well, now we have answers!

If you've ever found yourself pondering anything about sea monkeys, you've probably got too much time on your hands. Stop. Get a hobby. Go to sleep. Something, anything, is more worthy of your precious thought energy!

Do advertisers still have that sort of success in conning kids to buy useless shit? I have to think that the broke ass parents of my generation probably aren't gunning to buy their offspring stupid shit these days. Money don't grow on trees. Granmmy and Gramps will buy the useless shit! Go boomahs!

• Like 1

I just woke up.

I leave my lunch in my truck while I'm working.  This way, the heat from the sun slowly warms my food up throughout the morning so that it is at the perfect temperature by lunch time.  I do this because the idea of eating food that has been irradiated by microwaves is highly unsettling to me.

That's a terrible idea and a good way to end up sick. "Heating" food that way puts it in the Food Temperature Danger Zone and never reaches the upper limit of that zone. It's the perfect breeding ground for nasty little illness causing microbes to contaminate food. Keep doing that and you'll end up with food poisoning if you're lucky and something more serious like E-coli if not. That's not necessarily limited to just meat either, pretty much any food can be a breeding ground for bad microbes at the wrong temperature, and the interior of a vehicle is right in that range and most likely will never rise high enough to get out of it even on the hottest of days. Unless the heat inside the vehicle is melting plastic, browning paper, and hot enough to literally scald your skin enough to blister it when you touch anything in the interior it's not enough to heat food to a safe temperature no matter how long you're leaving it in there for.

I've worked with food for most of my life and I'm very serious about that. Food temperature is one of the biggest factors in spreading bacteria and other harmful contaminates. Keeping food at the proper temperature and getting it through that danger range as quickly as possible when cooking it is vital. Keeping food above or below that range is one of the most important duties of a cook in a kitchen and it's at the top of the list of things a Health Inspector will check when they go through the kitchen, cooler, and freezer in a restaurant or grocery store.

Ironically, your irrational fear of microwaves is going to cause you to become ill because your alternate solution is far worse and much more dangerous. I highly suggest you stop heating your food that way before you end up in the hospital with some sort of food contamination related illness. If you're uncomfortable about Microwaves contaminating your food with radiation, you should be even more worried about sunlight. After all, that stuff causes skin cancer and has all sorts of radiation in it.

Just because you've been lucky and haven't gotten sick yet doesn't mean I'm wrong about this either. Sooner or later your luck will run out, and it's likely to land you in the hospital, or if you're fortunate enough to avoid something dangerous give you a day or two stuck at home on the toilet.

I'm not even a little bit joking here. Fearing microwave "radiation" is a completely irrational fear with no sound basis to justify it. Learning a bit about how microwaves work should help because it's nothing like what you seem to be thinking. In the case of most food it simply excites water molecules to heat food up. Microwaves are harmless, they're just radio waves. If you can sit near a radio and listen to music without any ill effects then microwaved food isn't going to hurt you. It's not nuclear radiation but rather is a form of electromagnetic energy. It's about as dangerous as any other electric appliance is that is used to create food, if you're not afraid of your toaster, an electric range stove, or an electric grill, you shouldn't be afraid of a microwave either.

Microwaves don't "irradiate" things the way you're suggesting. They simply excite certain types of molecules [most commonly water molecules] to create heat and don't remain stuck in the food. The heating is an electromagnetic effect and microwaves basically cause dipolar molecules like water to spin. Dipolar molecules have a partial positive charge at one end and a partial negative charge on the other, they move as they try to align to the alternating electromagnetic current created by the microwaves. As they spin they "bounce" about and hit other molecules creating a chain reaction. This creates heat which cooks the food.

As a certified chef I will say that Microwave cooking isn't my favorite way to heat up food. It's not because of any radiation danger though, but rather a quality issue. Cooking in an oven or on a stove usually creates a much better result. However, a microwave is vastly superior and much safer than simply leaving food in a hot vehicle interior, that's just disgusting and unsanitary.

TL:DR: Seriously, that shit isn't healthy and you should stop it before you make yourself really sick. Microwaves are harmless and use electromagnetic energy to heat up food. It's about as dangerous to your health as using a toaster is.

more-you-know.gif?w=650

• Like 4

I need to clean my dusty monitor.

Where do gnats come from?

My kitchen is a fucking mess.

I hate phones.

good to learn about microwaves today CB......

I'm glad Buff got her flu shot....

Hope SL gets her kitchen cleaned up...

Hope Orbit learns where gnats come from

Wonder what Jeff is doin'?

77 is so funny.

Fernweh's job sounds interesting.

Well, I guess i'll get back to what I was doing........

My cubicle has a file cabinet built into the desk. There's a cheap little lock to lock the file drawers but the lock cylinder fell out a long time ago. I don't even know why they use these cheap locks because everyone has the same key anyway. I used to keep my pay stubs in there so I locked the drawer but anyone could have opened it up. All my pay stubs are online now anyway. The website where I can find them is horrible. It's password requirements are complex and they expire every 90 days. Since I only check my pay stubs every few months I almost always forgot my last password, which has probably expired anyway, so I have to go through the password retrieval steps. Once I get my temporary password I have to change it to a new password which cannot be like any of my past 10 passwords. Even though I forgot my old password the new one I want to use is always too close the the last one I forgot so I have to make up a new password. Since I had to make a new password that I've never used I end up forgetting it the next time I need to see my pay stub and have to go through this whole thing all over again. It's annoying. 

Speaking of passwords. One of my jobs as a sys admin used to be running password crackers against the old Windows NT SAM database. People tend to use their favorite sports teams, kids names, and sometimes even their sexual orientation in their passwords. Living close to Dallas I would see Cowboys#1 quite often. I doubt I would see that much now since the Cowboys have sucked for a long time. It was always a contest among us admins to see which one of our passwords took the longest to finally get cracked. Mine always took the same amount of time because I never changed it. We admins are lazy nerds who never follow the rules. Speaking of rules, once we forced strong passwords that must contain special characters, numbers, upper and lower case, and could not contain any words backwards or forwards that were checked against a database of words containing articles like "an" and "it" we didn't have to run the password cracker anymore. Strong passwords are very secure and take modern computing power more than a human lifetime to crack. The passwords were so difficult to create and remember all the users started writing them down on sticky notes and put them under their keyboards. If they didn't do this their account would automatically lock out after the third failed attempt to logon. Nobody wants to call the helpdesk to have their account re-enabled and their password reset. The people who do call always blame someone else for trying to hack their account but we know damn well they just lost their sticky note. Users are liars like that. It's like when someone deletes a file on the file server. I can restore them easily. About 1 in 20 users who need a file restored accuse of admins of deleting them. There's like five million files on the server but we just decided to delete theirs when we knew it would be the most inconvenient for them. Also, telling me they are at a work stoppage because of their missing file won't make me feel any more sense of urgency. I hear that all the time. Also, accusing me of deleting their power point presentation doesn't make me want to restore it faster. Executives are the worst. They are notorious for thinking us admins are reading their important files and emails (we do but we are smart enough to not tell anyone). So they won't store anything on the network and when they delete something off their workstation they think we can magically restore it. We don't back up workstations, not even executives, because they didn't want to pay for the software licenses. Ugh...

ITA about passwords... if you never use them, you never remember them.  And writing it on a sticky note and putting it under your keyboard is just stupid.

Where do gnats come from?

gnatlife.gif

Fungus-gnat-eggs-and-larvea-emerging-fro

mediterranean-fruit-fly-larva.jpg

B2550021-Larvae_and_pupae_of_fruit_fly_o

800px-Eye_gnat.jpg

lifecyclesm.jpg

Ew. I hate seeing photos of creepy crawlies.

Ew. I hate seeing photos of creepy crawlies.

Blame Orbit for asking a boring question with an even more boring answer in the boring thread. It was much too boring to resist and someone was going to answer the question sooner or later.

Thanks for clearing that up, CB

• Super Moderator

That's a terrible idea and a good way to end up sick. "Heating" food that way puts it in the Food Temperature Danger Zone and never reaches the upper limit of that zone. It's the perfect breeding ground for nasty little illness causing microbes to contaminate food. Keep doing that and you'll end up with food poisoning if you're lucky and something more serious like E-coli if not. That's not necessarily limited to just meat either, pretty much any food can be a breeding ground for bad microbes at the wrong temperature, and the interior of a vehicle is right in that range and most likely will never rise high enough to get out of it even on the hottest of days. Unless the heat inside the vehicle is melting plastic, browning paper, and hot enough to literally scald your skin enough to blister it when you touch anything in the interior it's not enough to heat food to a safe temperature no matter how long you're leaving it in there for.

I've worked with food for most of my life and I'm very serious about that. Food temperature is one of the biggest factors in spreading bacteria and other harmful contaminates. Keeping food at the proper temperature and getting it through that danger range as quickly as possible when cooking it is vital. Keeping food above or below that range is one of the most important duties of a cook in a kitchen and it's at the top of the list of things a Health Inspector will check when they go through the kitchen, cooler, and freezer in a restaurant or grocery store.

Ironically, your irrational fear of microwaves is going to cause you to become ill because your alternate solution is far worse and much more dangerous. I highly suggest you stop heating your food that way before you end up in the hospital with some sort of food contamination related illness. If you're uncomfortable about Microwaves contaminating your food with radiation, you should be even more worried about sunlight. After all, that stuff causes skin cancer and has all sorts of radiation in it.

Just because you've been lucky and haven't gotten sick yet doesn't mean I'm wrong about this either. Sooner or later your luck will run out, and it's likely to land you in the hospital, or if you're fortunate enough to avoid something dangerous give you a day or two stuck at home on the toilet.

I'm not even a little bit joking here. Fearing microwave "radiation" is a completely irrational fear with no sound basis to justify it. Learning a bit about how microwaves work should help because it's nothing like what you seem to be thinking. In the case of most food it simply excites water molecules to heat food up. Microwaves are harmless, they're just radio waves. If you can sit near a radio and listen to music without any ill effects then microwaved food isn't going to hurt you. It's not nuclear radiation but rather is a form of electromagnetic energy. It's about as dangerous as any other electric appliance is that is used to create food, if you're not afraid of your toaster, an electric range stove, or an electric grill, you shouldn't be afraid of a microwave either.

Microwaves don't "irradiate" things the way you're suggesting. They simply excite certain types of molecules [most commonly water molecules] to create heat and don't remain stuck in the food. The heating is an electromagnetic effect and microwaves basically cause dipolar molecules like water to spin. Dipolar molecules have a partial positive charge at one end and a partial negative charge on the other, they move as they try to align to the alternating electromagnetic current created by the microwaves. As they spin they "bounce" about and hit other molecules creating a chain reaction. This creates heat which cooks the food.

As a certified chef I will say that Microwave cooking isn't my favorite way to heat up food. It's not because of any radiation danger though, but rather a quality issue. Cooking in an oven or on a stove usually creates a much better result. However, a microwave is vastly superior and much safer than simply leaving food in a hot vehicle interior, that's just disgusting and unsanitary.

TL:DR: Seriously, that shit isn't healthy and you should stop it before you make yourself really sick. Microwaves are harmless and use electromagnetic energy to heat up food. It's about as dangerous to your health as using a toaster is.

more-you-know.gif?w=650

First of all, DO NOT ever presume to speak down to me as though I am a child who doesn't understand the Germ Theory of disease.  I aced both Microbiology and Immunology in college and have since gone on to forget more on both subjects than most people ever learn.

Secondly, I do NOT have an irrational fear of microwaves.  I simply prefer not to use them.  You should NOT read more into people's comments than what is there.  You go on for two entire paragraphs insinuating that I have some sort of phobia about radiation.  I DO NOT.  Perhaps you should get to know the facts about someone before making such comments.  Or perhaps you're too full of yourself.

Thirdly, DO NOT mistake me for someone who needs you telling me how I should live.  If you're afraid of a few germs then feel free to nuke your food until your heart's content.  I suggest using plastic containers so that you can get yourself a good healthy dose of plasticizers while you're at it.  

I'm sure, with your background as a chef, you are probably aware that sheep's wool is a perfect environment for anthrax (they teach that kind of thing in chef school, right?).  You should know that I used to raise sheep and have sheered my share of them.  Small dose exposure to even the most deadly of germs is nothing the human immune system can't handle.  Sure, some bacteria replicate quickly in perfect environments; but for enough replication to occur to be anything more than a small dose exposure would take far longer than the few hours between morning and noon.

Lastly, I know this post comes across as angry and I'm not generally one for angry posts.  However, when I am spoken down to, and accused of irrational fears, especially by someone who doesn't know the first god damn thing about me, it kind of sets me off.  So, if I sound angry, it's because I am.

Thinking about daisies now. Daisies. Non-microwaved daisies.

• Like 1

Some days I feel bad. Then I remember. I'm not a peep trapped in a vacuum chamber....

Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

That'll do, Donkey; that'll do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.