Goodbye Jesus

Bless yall

HaveFaith

Since HF seems to have been beamed up to the U.S.S. Jesus, perhaps it's time to show where he screwed up.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:28 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

Dear God, all I asked for was some decent Christian apologists. So far we've had blessings, goalposts and the book of Alma.

Can we have some decent arguments for your existence… please??

I feel Jesus in my heart. See, evidence right there.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If science is your hero then you might say that science underpins everything. But the world is not science. Science is some idea you apply to the world. It's some framework that gives you comfort. If scientists take an interest in some phenomena they give it a name and try to own it by calling it science. 

I believe in Jesus so I believe that He underpins everything. No I dont have evidence. Evidence aint really my gig

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Monday HF said that evidence aint really his gig.

On the Friday before he claimed to feel evidence of Jesus in his heart.

Maybe he stopped doing evidence, sometime between Friday and Monday and didn't think to tell us?

😉

Walter.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, HaveFaith said:

Why throw pearls before swine? Maybe just throw cubic zirconia instead. 

So in your opinion we are "swine" and you are the one who has "perls". Yes, an absolute perfect way to start a conversation :))

They are programed computers and have the rhetoric in their brain, but are incapable of getting beyond their programming. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Christianchat_Chat said:

Jesus of course is the one to talk about at all times and for all seasons, for He being perfect, of God, ect. is like the standard we should all strive for.

Tell us the part about if we don't believe in your sky fairies as you do we will be punished by them.  That part is funny.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sdelsolray said:

Tell us the part about if we don't believe in your sky fairies as you do we will be punished by them.  That part is funny.

I'm pretty sure a being that is theoretically perfect (God) wouldn't punish someone for not believing alike to how others say they must.

13 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

So in your opinion we are "swine" and you are the one who has "perls". Yes, an absolute perfect way to start a conversation :))

What's funny is how many of these apologist's say the same things over and over again as they arrive. Pearls before swine. We're just rebelling against jesus at the moment. We never were really christian. The same logical fallacies over and over again. The very same attempted arguments over and over again. Which fail over and over again. 

I guess it just goes to show how oblivious so many christians are concerning how every one of these ill framed arguments, logical fallacies, and self contradictions play out. Then they're deer in the headlights when they get consumed with all of the counter arguments to any point they try making.

What to do? What to say? 

Then disappear or throw a big tantrum and then disappear...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christianchat_Chat said:

I'm pretty sure a being that is theoretically perfect (God) wouldn't punish someone for not believing alike to how others say they must.

The same bible that is used to claim a perfect god, says what exactly about "non-believers?"

Are the non-believers listed among the saved or the dammed of this perfect god? 

Ever heard of Revelation 21???

He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

A perfect god, consigning unbelievers to this second death on account of their believing differently than what others, christians in fact, say they must believe. Even cowards. Cowards are to be burned in fiery sulfur, just because they're cowards. Practicing magicians, burnt to a crisp. And liars, let's not forget liars. 

To a perfect god, these are all worthy of burning with fiery sulfur. 

Or is the god not perfect? 

Or is the second death not true? 

You've cornered yourself pretty far back on this one...

God just told me that your bible disagrees with you.

Ya'll remember John 3:16 that people like quoting? Well a few verses past that in John 3:18 it says (KJV)

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Then tie that in with the verses Josh pointed out above:

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Why do cowards and unbelievers get picked on first? Why do cowards and unbelievers get sent to hell, but the murderer and rapist who believes gets saved?

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

@Christianchat_Chat, do you honor your parents; or do you hate them?

On 10/7/2020 at 11:53 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

God just told me that your bible disagrees with you.

Ya'll remember John 3:16 that people like quoting? Well a few verses past that in John 3:18 it says (KJV)

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Then tie that in with the verses Josh pointed out above:

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Why do cowards and unbelievers get picked on first? Why do cowards and unbelievers get sent to hell, but the murderer and rapist who believes gets saved?

i believe the Bible is written (was) for those who are able or happen to want to listen to it.  for all others you should try to be ok to your neighbor at least don't you think? 

for those of us more spiritual (in many religions) we must hold ourselves to much higher standards.  but that is not for everyone obviously.  there are many kinds of people in the world.

On 10/7/2020 at 11:36 PM, Joshpantera said:

The same bible that is used to claim a perfect god, says what exactly about "non-believers?"

Are the non-believers listed among the saved or the dammed of this perfect god? 

Ever heard of Revelation 21???

He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

A perfect god, consigning unbelievers to this second death on account of their believing differently than what others, christians in fact, say they must believe. Even cowards. Cowards are to be burned in fiery sulfur, just because they're cowards. Practicing magicians, burnt to a crisp. And liars, let's not forget liars. 

To a perfect god, these are all worthy of burning with fiery sulfur. 

Or is the god not perfect? 

Or is the second death not true? 

You've cornered yourself pretty far back on this one...

i would not listen to all Christians then now would i/You?  because Christians are not perfect.  and what else does the Bible say, and Christians believe?

that God and Jesus, ect. are Love.  and that His mercy endures Forever.  how can God in any right sense of mind hurt people who don't believe in things that don't make sense to them?

• Like 1

i would not listen to all Christians then now would i/You?  because Christians are not perfect.  and what else does the Bible say, and Christians believe?

that God and Jesus, ect. are Love.  and that His mercy endures Forever.  how can God in any right sense of mind hurt people who don't believe in things that don't make sense to them?

I would not listen to christians with self contradicting claims. But I'm an ex christian, so that sort of goes without saying. All evident nonsense from my view. If a god existed, I would expect something quite different from what the bible and christianity claims of a god. 

If a god really were omnipresent, for instance, it would literally be integrated into everyone and everything. That's what it takes to be everywhere present. What really doesn't make sense is a god who is literally omnipresent destroying anything, because it would be destroying itself in the process. What adversaries are there to a literally and factually omnipresent god? 

You see, many of us here are ex christian now because we have thought through scenarios like this and concluded that christianity is a false religion, basically. These are contradicting claims that don't add up and make very little sense when closely analyzed. And an objective thinker can see right through most it. 

The only hope for apologist's trying to shore up the faith, is basically to try and keep people far away from objective thinking. So that people don't think about the contradictions and don't closely analyze the religion and it's claims.....

2 hours ago, Christianchat_Chat said:

Are you saying God will not send unbelievers to Hell?

And 2 more questions.  (1) Do you believe the bible is the inerrant word of god?  (2) Which of the christian denominations do you belong to? 

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

We have an ala carté Christian who pretends to be special.  Boring combination.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvfagBOHJE

not really about me, but i heard this song today and was looking up the video, and thought of you. :)💙

• Super Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvfagBOHJE

not really about me, but i heard this song today and was looking up the video, and thought of you. :)💙

Rather than posting an irrelevant and inconsequential video, please answer the question.

@Christianchat_Chat, do you honor your parents (Exodus 20:12), or do you hate them (Luke 14:26)?

• Thanks 1

I love the format of the above question. Yes, please try and answer if you will. 

You can lead a horse to water, and maybe once in a while, you can make it drink. Maybe...

On 10/9/2020 at 9:42 PM, Joshpantera said:

I would not listen to christians with self contradicting claims. But I'm an ex christian, so that sort of goes without saying. All evident nonsense from my view. If a god existed, I would expect something quite different from what the bible and christianity claims of a god. 

If a god really were omnipresent, for instance, it would literally be integrated into everyone and everything. That's what it takes to be everywhere present. What really doesn't make sense is a god who is literally omnipresent destroying anything, because it would be destroying itself in the process. What adversaries are there to a literally and factually omnipresent god? 

You see, many of us here are ex christian now because we have thought through scenarios like this and concluded that christianity is a false religion, basically. These are contradicting claims that don't add up and make very little sense when closely analyzed. And an objective thinker can see right through most it. 

The only hope for apologist's trying to shore up the faith, is basically to try and keep people far away from objective thinking. So that people don't think about the contradictions and don't closely analyze the religion and it's claims.....

what you are saying makes sense.  and about omnipresent.  there are many findings in Science these days i have heard about that might be very good for more Christians to know about.

have you read this?  i think this is from a great sounding book that I've not gotten to read but have heard about. :) i think, because i am just quoting from this person's website..

Dig, if you’re willing, this picture: a tiny town with a tight-knit community. The people share joys and concerns, woes and gossip. They keep a close and often affectionate watch on one another’s business. They talk and talk and talk.

What an outsider would notice within minutes of listening in on conversations are constant and slightly self-conscious references to “Uncle Ben.” A beautiful sunset prompts a towns-person to say, “Isn’t Uncle Ben awesome?” Good news brings out how thankful and overjoyed they feel toward Uncle Ben. Even in tragedy, a local might say, in a slightly nervous fashion, “You know, it just goes to show how much we all need Uncle Ben. I know – we all know – that Uncle Ben is good.”

Uncle Ben is always on their minds.

Even when the magnificence of Uncle Ben isn’t spoken of aloud, he’s somehow present in facial expressions and actions. It’s the look of stopping a train of thought before it goes too far, or letting an uncompleted sentence trail off into awkward silence, of swiftly changing the subject. It’s as if a conversation can go only so far. People hardly ever look one another in the eye for long.

At the beginning of each week there’s a meeting in the largest house in town. Upon arriving, people get caught up in the good fellowship and animated discussion of the week’s events, with conversations straining in the direction of Uncle Ben. When a bell sounds, talk ceases. Everyone moves to the staircase and descends into the basement. Each person sits facing an enormous, rumbling furnace. Seated close to the furnace door, as if he were a part of the furnace itself, is a giant man in black overalls. His back is turned to them.

They wait in silence. In time the man turns around. His face is angry, contorted. He fixes a threatening stare of barely contained rage on each person, then roars, “Am I good?”

To which they respond in unison, “Yes, Uncle Ben, you are good.”

“Am I worthy of praise?”

“You alone are worthy of our praise.”

“Do you love me more than anything? More than anyone?”

“We love you and you alone, Uncle Ben.”

“You better love me, or I’m going to put you….in here” – he opens the furnace door to reveal a gaping darkness – “forever.”

Out of the darkness can be heard sounds of anguish and lament. Then he closes the furnace door and turns his back to them. They sit in silence.

Finally, feeling reasonably assured that Uncle Ben has finished saying what he has to say, they leave. They live their lives as best they can. They try to think and speak truthfully and do well by one another. They resume their talk of the wonders of Uncle Ben’s love in anticipation of the next week’s meeting.

But they’re limited, in myriad ways, by fear. Fear causes them to censor their own thoughts and words. Fear prevents them from telling anyone of their inner anguish and fright. Fear keeps them from recognizing in one another’s eyes their common desperation. This fear is interwoven, subtly and sometimes not so subtly, in all of their relationships.

End of story.

I find this story both jarring and entirely familiar. It captures some of my worst fears concerning the character of God. And I suspect a good number of people live their lives haunted by a nightmare similar to this one. Perhaps you entertain fears like these. Perhaps Uncle Ben forms your image of the divine even now.

Something akin to the Uncle Ben image might be what a lot of people refer to when they speak of religion as the worst thing that ever happened to them, a nightmare that damages everything it touches. We might protest that there’s much more to religion that such tales of terror. But I find it hard to deny that the image of Uncle Ben lurks with an awful lot of what is called popular religious belief…

….For a long time, I was in the habit of praying a prayer, (“I Love you Lord”) that was something of a gamble, like Pascal’s wager. I wasn’t sure I loved this God at all. In fact, I believed this Uncle Ben-like God was unlovable, determined to consign most of humanity to eternal torment for believing the wrong things. But given the terrifying outcome of not loving him, I sensibly said I loved and believed in him anyway. If, somehow, I succeeded in loving this God, lucky me. And if I didn’t love him, I’d be more or less damned anyway.

Having faith in this brand of God is akin to Orwell’s “double-think” – a disturbing mind trick by which we don’t let ourselves know what’s really going on in our minds for fear of what might follow. We learn to deny what we think and feel. The resulting mind-set is one of all fear all the time, a fear that can render us incapable of putting two and two together. Never quite free to say what we see..

When we think of belief intertwined with such fear, we might begin to wonder if self-professed believers caught in the grip of unseemly ideologies, religious or otherwise, are as fully convinced of what they claim to believe as they appear to be. Many are trying to prove their ultimate commitment by eliminating doubt – and fear – ridding themselves of the last vestiges of independent thought through force of will. Responding to the push that demands as much can become a kind of survival instinct. We do it without thinking about it. We witness the loss of independent thinking in a wide variety of settings – in offices, training camps, schools, political parties, clubs, families, and other religious assemblies. We’re instructed to believe and to silence our questions and our imaginations. Like Orwell’s Big Brother, Uncle Ben thrives when questioning is out of the question.

~~From the book, “The Sacredness of Questioning Everything,” by David Dark.

(Although the publisher says the free audio version of the book is no longer available for download, I just tried it, and the download still works. You can get the book free, the download starts immediately, when you go to Zondervan.com

from The Homeless Guy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Christianchat_Chat said:

what you are saying makes sense.  and about omnipresent.  there are many findings in Science these days i have heard about that might be very good for more Christians to know about.

have you read this?  i think this is from a great sounding book that I've not gotten to read but have heard about. :) i think, because i am just quoting from this person's website..

The uncle Ben thing sounds familiar. I may have seen that before. The worship out of fear issue is something I see very clearly.

It comes from the bible. It starts there. And it's a reflection of the human ego's responsible for doing the writing. They envision a god much like themselves, as a glorified or magnified version of human being with a lot of ego. That's where the narcissism aspect of YHWH reveals itself. Narcissistic minded, bronze age priests and scribes are responsible for the writings. And then similar personalities were responsible for the transmission of these ancient texts through the dark and middle ages. Academia has uncovered a lot of clues that point to the involvement, opinions, and mindsets of the writers and scribes. 

Now when we start talking about what we might expect if a god really exists, aside from these human projections, well, we then part ways with orthodox christian thinking. The christian way is attached at the hip to these old bronze age ways of thinking - women are property, slavery is condoned by god, god gets angry and hates a lot of things. Just like people get angry and hate things. The god sounds a lot like a person magnified out to god status. This is all very obvious and apparent to me. 

Now just to give you some more of a glimpse of what I was talking about earlier, we seem to agree that an omnipresence is necessarily integrated into everything, in order to be present everywhere. Let's split hairs for minute about this. There is more volume of space in every atom than there is particle matter. So we're looking at a presence broken down to all space, and particle matter. That puts the presence of an omnipresent god within everything that exists, alive, inanimate, or otherwise. Imagine the present throughout all of dark space, as well as all light and matter spread throughout space. Giving a totality image. Not some human-like being, the totality of everything that exists out to infinity. 

This is not something out there far away. With us here separated by space from it. It's everything out there in deep space and everything inside of here down to the molecules, atoms, and sub atomic particles inside of everything all at the same time.

There's no selective presence. It has to be whole, interconnected, and absolute in that way.

Guess what, that's the mystical realization of esoteric religious and spiritual traditions in the east and west. This has been known and understood by certain people for centuries on end. It's pantheism and panentheism, not monotheism. The logical conclusion we've worked out here is not monotheistic. It isn't christian, not in the modern sense anyways.

A lot of people when working this out for themselves, tend to step away from christianity or in some cases take on a more of a mystical view of christianity - leaning more towards liberal than fundamental and conservative. The liberal being possible baby steps towards full on acknowledgement of pantheism and panentheism. 

In any event, this has been a pleasant conversation where we can at least find some areas of interest and agreement. A little rough the first few pages. But whatever. It's cool. 

8 hours ago, Christianchat_Chat said:

Dig, if you’re willing, this picture: a tiny town with a tight-knit community. The people share joys and concerns, woes and gossip. They keep a close and often affectionate watch on one another’s business. They talk and talk and talk.

What an outsider would notice within minutes of listening in on conversations are constant and slightly self-conscious references to “Uncle Ben.” A beautiful sunset prompts a towns-person to say, “Isn’t Uncle Ben awesome?” Good news brings out how thankful and overjoyed they feel toward Uncle Ben. Even in tragedy, a local might say, in a slightly nervous fashion, “You know, it just goes to show how much we all need Uncle Ben. I know – we all know – that Uncle Ben is good.”

Uncle Ben is always on their minds.

Even when the magnificence of Uncle Ben isn’t spoken of aloud, he’s somehow present in facial expressions and actions. It’s the look of stopping a train of thought before it goes too far, or letting an uncompleted sentence trail off into awkward silence, of swiftly changing the subject. It’s as if a conversation can go only so far. People hardly ever look one another in the eye for long.

At the beginning of each week there’s a meeting in the largest house in town. Upon arriving, people get caught up in the good fellowship and animated discussion of the week’s events, with conversations straining in the direction of Uncle Ben. When a bell sounds, talk ceases. Everyone moves to the staircase and descends into the basement. Each person sits facing an enormous, rumbling furnace. Seated close to the furnace door, as if he were a part of the furnace itself, is a giant man in black overalls. His back is turned to them.

They wait in silence. In time the man turns around. His face is angry, contorted. He fixes a threatening stare of barely contained rage on each person, then roars, “Am I good?”

To which they respond in unison, “Yes, Uncle Ben, you are good.”

“Am I worthy of praise?”

“You alone are worthy of our praise.”

“Do you love me more than anything? More than anyone?”

“We love you and you alone, Uncle Ben.”

“You better love me, or I’m going to put you….in here” – he opens the furnace door to reveal a gaping darkness – “forever.”

Out of the darkness can be heard sounds of anguish and lament. Then he closes the furnace door and turns his back to them. They sit in silence.

Finally, feeling reasonably assured that Uncle Ben has finished saying what he has to say, they leave. They live their lives as best they can. They try to think and speak truthfully and do well by one another. They resume their talk of the wonders of Uncle Ben’s love in anticipation of the next week’s meeting.

But they’re limited, in myriad ways, by fear. Fear causes them to censor their own thoughts and words. Fear prevents them from telling anyone of their inner anguish and fright. Fear keeps them from recognizing in one another’s eyes their common desperation. This fear is interwoven, subtly and sometimes not so subtly, in all of their relationships.

End of story.

I find this story both jarring and entirely familiar. It captures some of my worst fears concerning the character of God. And I suspect a good number of people live their lives haunted by a nightmare similar to this one. Perhaps you entertain fears like these. Perhaps Uncle Ben forms your image of the divine even now.

Something akin to the Uncle Ben image might be what a lot of people refer to when they speak of religion as the worst thing that ever happened to them, a nightmare that damages everything it touches. We might protest that there’s much more to religion that such tales of terror. But I find it hard to deny that the image of Uncle Ben lurks with an awful lot of what is called popular religious belief…

….For a long time, I was in the habit of praying a prayer, (“I Love you Lord”) that was something of a gamble, like Pascal’s wager. I wasn’t sure I loved this God at all. In fact, I believed this Uncle Ben-like God was unlovable, determined to consign most of humanity to eternal torment for believing the wrong things. But given the terrifying outcome of not loving him, I sensibly said I loved and believed in him anyway. If, somehow, I succeeded in loving this God, lucky me. And if I didn’t love him, I’d be more or less damned anyway.

Having faith in this brand of God is akin to Orwell’s “double-think” – a disturbing mind trick by which we don’t let ourselves know what’s really going on in our minds for fear of what might follow. We learn to deny what we think and feel. The resulting mind-set is one of all fear all the time, a fear that can render us incapable of putting two and two together. Never quite free to say what we see..

When we think of belief intertwined with such fear, we might begin to wonder if self-professed believers caught in the grip of unseemly ideologies, religious or otherwise, are as fully convinced of what they claim to believe as they appear to be. Many are trying to prove their ultimate commitment by eliminating doubt – and fear – ridding themselves of the last vestiges of independent thought through force of will. Responding to the push that demands as much can become a kind of survival instinct. We do it without thinking about it. We witness the loss of independent thinking in a wide variety of settings – in offices, training camps, schools, political parties, clubs, families, and other religious assemblies. We’re instructed to believe and to silence our questions and our imaginations. Like Orwell’s Big Brother, Uncle Ben thrives when questioning is out of the question.

~~From the book, “The Sacredness of Questioning Everything,” by David Dark.

(Although the publisher says the free audio version of the book is no longer available for download, I just tried it, and the download still works. You can get the book free, the download starts immediately, when you go to Zondervan.com

from The Homeless Guy

The Uncle Ben story is familiar to us here (and not all of us here are atheists). We encountered it in the Bible. You may think we only "think" we did, but think about it: love which is sought through the command, "Thou shalt love" can never be a true love because love cannot be elicited by decree. In perfect love there is no fear, it's said, but in a command for love there is nothing BUT fear, and the imperfection is in the one demanding the love, not in the lover. And, of course, there's the "Devil"; Big Brother needs his Goldstein for his threats to seem necessary.

There are so many other ways to conceive of God (don't complain, atheists, I'm not trying to muscle you out here) which don't require tuning science out or branding anyone a heretic. You might at least consider hearing them out.

• Super Moderator

Still no answer, @Christianchat_Chat?

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Still no answer, @Christianchat_Chat?

You were expecting an answer? :scratch:

Since when in the history of debate has a religious person given a straight answer?

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

You were expecting an answer? :scratch:

Since when in the history of debate has a religious person given a straight answer?

They generally respond to homosexuality with a straight answer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

They generally respond to homosexuality with a straight answer.

Do I burst out laughing or just groan at the dad joke? I have no idea... I'm kinda doing both at once... it's a weird sound.