Goodbye Jesus

What Are You Doing On Sunday?

Amethyst

Salmon fishing.

• Like 1

still going to church. this has got to stop. its almost worth it to begin the whole fall out. we will have a talk when we get home.

still going to church. this has got to stop. its almost worth it to begin the whole fall out. we will have a talk when we get home.

Break a leg, RR!

I have no clue. This is the first Sunday I know of where I'm anticipating not going to church. I don't have a clue what to do or what is even available to do. I need to find something soon though if this is going to be my new trend. I still have to take the wife and kids to church and back but in between that is a mystery.

Oh, this is where things could get fun!!! You could drop off the fam at church and then:

1. Go to Starbucks or independent local cafe for your favorite hot beverage and some people watching time or reading.

2. Go for a walk in a nearby nature park.

3. Go home and make a roast dinner for the fam.

4. Make a latte and sit on your back deck and get zen with the world.

5. Garden.

6. Start writing a novel or journal.

7. Part of #3--experiment with a new recipe.

Gawd, you are going to LOVE Sundays. They just got better!!!!!

Today I watched the Bart Ehrman lecture that's stickied on this site. My wife went to church late, and left early, so she wouldn't have to get into discussions about where I am.

RR - did you initiate the talk? Hope it goes as best as it can, brother.

So far... play video games.

What games you play? Do you play Consoles or PC's or both?

RR - did you initiate the talk? Hope it goes as best as it can, brother.

yes and no. I want to slowly get out of the stupid crap that I still do even though I don't believe anymore. church is the big one but I didn't bring that up. I brought up praying and stupid Sunday school stuff that the kids do. well see how it goes. once I set the stage I'm dropping the church bomb.

Both.

Lately a lot of Civilization V. Play SWTOR every now and then. Finished mass effect 3 awhile ago...

Both.

Lately a lot of Civilization V. Play SWTOR every now and then. Finished mass effect 3 awhile ago...

Cool! Tribes Ascend has been taking a lot of my time in the evenings. It's fun. Was also playing Borderlands there for a while... Both on PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been not going to church on Sundays a lot longer than I've considered myself a non-Christian. Right now I'm playing around on the computer in the kitchen, eating a fried egg sandwich and drinking dark French press coffee while Mr. Anat plays video games in the living room. Later I'm going to the gym. Weekends without church are so sweet.

• 1 month later...

Still going.... I'll be moving out of the house soon. I'm looking forward to spending Sundays relaxing. It will be nice when seven hours of the day aren't spent at the church.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't set foot in a church in about fifteen years. Sundays tend to be our family outing days. We take advantage of the early part of the day when so many people are at church instead of out eating, shopping or whatever.

Our favorite thing to do is go to our favorite diner and get breakfast, we've never had to wait for a table on Sunday morning. Then we'll head over to the waterpark (there is an indoor one for the winter months:)) and pretty much have the place to ourselves for a good two or three hours. There are other people there but not many, probably under twenty. Then right around 1pm the place starts to fill up with the after church crowd. That's when we leave.

Sometimes we go to the library or the park.

During football season it gets extended well into the afternoon too since neither us, nor our kids, are the least bit interested in football.

It's amazing what all there is to do when you don't have to fight the crowds. :)

Lessee, yesterday we ate a late breakfast then went and hung out on my sister's deck and drank beer. It was a lovely day with lovely people! None of us have been to church in decades and we don't miss it a bit.

Still going.... I'll be moving out of the house soon. I'm looking forward to spending Sundays relaxing. It will be nice when seven hours of the day aren't spent at the church.

Jesus! how do you spend seven whole hours in church on every sunday? I thought spending 2 or 3 hours was a bit much in some of the more cultish churches I had gone to. Seriously doing ANYTHING else would be time better spent. I'm not spending 7 hours anywhere if they aren't paying me to be there.

Jesus! how do you spend seven whole hours in church on every sunday? I thought spending 2 or 3 hours was a bit much in some of the more cultish churches I had gone to.

Agreed. 7 hours. Wow, that would be sooo mind-numbingly boring.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you even do that requires you to be at the church for seven hours? I only go to church on Sunday mornings for about an hour and then I leave. Staying longer than that would be absolute torture. I hope you get out of the house soon! In your situation, I would reveal my deconversion before moving out, just to escape from seven hours of church!

Now, what I do on Sunday... As I said above, I go for about an hour on Sunday mornings, mostly to keep my relatives that go to the church happy, because I know it's only going to hurt them if they found out about my deconversion. Keeping it secret can be tough though, because going to the church and lying to people about what I believe or don't believe is miserable, I hate doing it, but don't know what other options I have.

For the rest of Sunday, I just relax and do whatever I can think of to do. I sometimes watch Atheist Experience at 5:30 p.m. although I don't watch it every Sunday, if I'm too busy to watch it, that is.

I have made the move to the local UU fellowship. For now it fulfills my needs, without much, if any mention of god.

• 2 weeks later...

What a neat topic!

On Sundays I usually try to visit my friends and family. I will meet my family outside their church when the service ends. I just love seeing all my little siblings.

At night I drink some whiskey and watch some Torchwood (specifically the scenes between Captain Jack and Ianto Jones...)

Meow

Good question ... finally I don't have to rush home on Sunday mornings when I stay over at my friends :D I had already been doing forró on and off for a year, but now my Sundays are just more restful because I can lie in and I have more energy to go out in the evening.

Today, I'm going to a fantastic Brazilian Restaurant for brunch at 11am with my wife and a friend. If my neighbors see me, they'll probably think I'm going to church since I'm dressed up a bit. I could see doing this every Sunday.

...homework...and cleaning. Except when I'm working. Then I'm, well, working.

I have attended an Universalist Unitarian "church" the past few weeks...affirmation on life and values that "bring us together" and nice people. Other than that, make brunch and relax; dinner is usually "take out" and wind down for the weekend and get ready for my son's week of school and watch "The Walking Dead"...and head for bed.

I'm here, on ex-christian.net badum tish ;)

• Like 1

My Mum was in this weekend, so I went to Church. But I'm still in the closet, so *shrug*. The other week she was away I couldn't get/ didn't make an effort to find a ride so I had a lovely relaxing day (I still think having 1/7 days being chilled and restful is a rather good idea). I slept in, had a leisurely breakfast, bummed around in my PJs, read my book, drank a lot of coffee, wrote my journal. It was a bit nice for my first 'admitted-to-myself-as-an-agnostic/non-Christian' Sunday :D