Goodbye Jesus

What Are You Doing On Sunday?

Amethyst

Our church holds services on Saturdays...*sigh*

I think Sundays are the most special day of my week now.

Why is it lost on Christians that "a day of rest" should be EXACTLY THAT? No ALARM CLOCKS, no pantyhose, no racing through breakfast, no scurrying to Sunday School, no "PRESENTEEISM" in my appointed church pew....then racing back at 6pm to do it all again!!!!!!!

The hypocrisy of "restful Sundays" has always stunned me.

I agree. I always kind of disliked Sundays because it was so busy and not a day of rest at all. And I've always thought that evening services are from the devil! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif You don't have time to think or rest when you are kept so busy getting kids ready for church and hobnobbing all day.

As an atheist, I love Sundays more than I ever did as a believer. I still take Sundays off from work-related stuff because I like having a break, and I love having time with my hubby and pets. We usually go for a long hike in the mountains on Sundays.

I love Sundays! jesus.gif

In the words of my wife, I "went off the reservation" a little over three years ago. Being a strict non-conformist, I traded in my motorcycle (cruiser) for a "crotch rocket" about that time, right after I turned 60 years of age. My wife goes to Sunday School some Sundays, but I generally hook up with my sport bike group and take a 200 - 500 mile fast ride through eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas and Missouri. With regards to my family, I am staying undercover about the fact that after 40 years of Christianity, I have handed in my cross and resigned. I know this might be cowardice, but what good would come from opening that particular pandora's box? Although she treats me like I'm just being lukewarm, I suspect that deep down she knows how utterly cold I am to any form of religion. So here I am, going through the motions a bit to keep everyone happy - I hate it when I get asked to pray at family gatherings! I mouth the words, but in my mind I am saying "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub" or Bart Simpson's prayer "Hey God, I don't thank you for this food cause I bought it with my own money!". OK, this thread is about what you're doing on Sunday:

here is what I'm DOING: I'm doing about 15 mph over the speed limit most of the time on straight sections of road

I'm doing 2 times the advisory limit plus 5 on the entry to most turns

I'm doing way over the speed limit on the exit of most turns

I'm having one hell of a lot better time than I would in church

• Like 1

Riding sport bikes in the twisties of Arkansas.

I think Sundays are the most special day of my week now.

Why is it lost on Christians that "a day of rest" should be EXACTLY THAT? No ALARM CLOCKS, no pantyhose, no racing through breakfast, no scurrying to Sunday School, no "PRESENTEEISM" in my appointed church pew....then racing back at 6pm to do it all again!!!!!!!

The hypocrisy of "restful Sundays" has always stunned me.

I agree. I always kind of disliked Sundays because it was so busy and not a day of rest at all. And I've always thought that evening services are from the devil! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif You don't have time to think or rest when you are kept so busy getting kids ready for church and hobnobbing all day.

As an atheist, I love Sundays more than I ever did as a believer. I still take Sundays off from work-related stuff because I like having a break, and I love having time with my hubby and pets. We usually go for a long hike in the mountains on Sundays.

I love Sundays! jesus.gif

Yeah! We should THANK CHRISTIANS for making sure everything is closed and everyone--for the most part--has a day off. So while they are all Christ-ing their Sundays away, the rest of us can TRULY ENJOY what Sundays, by their own definition were "meant for"---RELAXING and regrouping!

Working on Easter Sunday. At least I have an excuse to give my mom on why I'm not going to Sunday Mass. I hate lying.

Probably what I did last sunday. Hang with the kids. Help my daughter practice walking. And maybe work in the garden a bit.

I will be working, so glad I work sundays and wednesdays.

• Super Moderator

I'll be eating Honeybaked Ham with 20 or so friends and family at my house. It's Ishtar!!!

If Jesus comes out of his tomb and sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter. Yeah, I think that's right......

this sunday my Rationalists (re: atheist, ssshhhhhh) book club meets.

A quieter and more peaceful USUAL Sunday for us. Had to run to drop off books at the library and picked up something for dinner about 4 p.m. Took a nap at 2 p.m. and again at 10 p.m. Was up at 5 am but for no more reason than to let the dog out after I got up to go potty; a really nice day; hope everyone had a great weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually go to my "Christian Cult" church, as my aunt so fondly puts it. The actual name is Unity, and it kind of combines some concepts of Jesus with more possitive beliefs.

• 1 month later...

Sunday morning now I join a group bike ride, or do a family hike. The cycling group often has a potluck hosted at different riders homes after the ride, so it is a real community. There are also hiking clubs and other things to do outdoors. If you look for recreational clubs that meet on Sunday, you can find other people who are skipping church, and build some community at the same time.

Going to church.

Going to church.

Hi McD, For the family? Or are you back into it?

This Sunday, we're hitting the shops, clothes and stuff.

Going to church.

Hi McD, For the family? Or are you back into it?

This Sunday, we're hitting the shops, clothes and stuff.

Wife is a believer. For now.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hi McD, my wife is not a believer. Like many ppl here, religion is just a non issue with her. Which i think is a nice place to be.

Sunday morning now I join a group bike ride, or do a family hike. The cycling group often has a potluck hosted at different riders homes after the ride, so it is a real community. There are also hiking clubs and other things to do outdoors. If you look for recreational clubs that meet on Sunday, you can find other people who are skipping church, and build some community at the same time.

I should see if there is any local group like that here. I bike several times during the week, usually the same route. On Sundays, I have been riding different paths and longer distances (20+ miles) as a way to change things up and just get out and see things. It might be fun to do it with others. Then again, I like to go pretty fast and some casual groups like to keep it slow.

Sunday morning bike rides are my new obsession though. I love them.

I spent this morning watching the French Open. That was really nerve wracking... Then I had dinner with the family.

go to the state park and hike because all the Fundies are INSIDE THE HOUSE of Gawd, instead of OUTSIDE------ WHERE (if you are still in Deist Denial, like me)-----HE ACTUALLY IS.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a chill day. And watching the euro football/soccer.

• 1 month later...

So far... play video games.

• Like 1

I have no clue. This is the first Sunday I know of where I'm anticipating not going to church. I don't have a clue what to do or what is even available to do. I need to find something soon though if this is going to be my new trend. I still have to take the wife and kids to church and back but in between that is a mystery.

Hmm... Sundays. Sleep in, watch TV (or Netflix), play video games (currently on a Fallout 3 binge), sleep some more, get stoned, eat.

Oh. Wait. That's every day ending in "Y"...