Goodbye Jesus

Sunday Dispatch

ironhorse

Well, since ironhorse hasn't shown up yet today, I guess somebody else will have to take the initiative to show how cool and groovy they are. Might as well be me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PLWqnfFgU

Hey, quitcher bitchin'. It was cool and groovy back in 1968!

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Maybe IH passed the torch to Wololo.

• Like 2

Sunday Dispatch.16

Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God: But only he who sees takes off his shoes.

~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

"Ignorance is bliss, and patience is a virtue... So if you're stupid, and you don't mind waiting around a lot, you can have a pretty good life" - My Dad

• Like 4

Sunday Dispatch.16

Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God: But only he who sees takes off his shoes.

I've accepted EBB as my lord and savior. Thank you IH!

Really mods. Enough of this inane drive by crap. I vote close it.

• Like 2

I concur. Though we could exchange clichés and lyrics and bits of ancient text and poetry forever, if you wish. I have the Vedas open now.. should keep this thread going for another 5 years.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Agreed. This thread keeps going like the Energizer bunny, but going nowhere, accomplishing nothing. Its end would be a mercy.

• Like 1

Hail Satan, Prince of Darkness!  We pledge our everlasting souls to you.  Let all who agree remain silent.

Sunday Dispatch.16

This is from a very long poem, and I am not familiar with it. However, looking at that line in context is interesting:

And truly, I reiterate, . . nothing's small!

No lily-muffled hum of a summer-bee,

But finds some coupling with the spinning stars;

No pebble at your foot, but proves a sphere;

No chaffinch, but implies the cherubim:

And,–glancing on my own thin, veined wrist,–

In such a little tremour of the blood

The whole strong clamour of a vehement soul

Doth utter itself distinct. Earth's crammed with heaven,

And every common bush afire with God:

But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,

The rest sit round it, and pluck blackberries,

And daub their natural faces unaware

More and more, from the first similitude.

This makes it clearer that there is nothing Christian in what's being written here. It's (predictably, given the poet) a Romantic sentiment, that nature is what's worthy of attention and awe and worship.

So thanks for peddling paganism.

Agreed. This thread keeps going like the Energizer bunny, but going nowhere, accomplishing nothing. Its end would be a mercy.

It's like a brain dead patient on life support, the secularists say remove life support/euthanise and the xian says keep them going.

Bah, it seems I was the only one that voted to keep this thread around (for the entertainment). I don't really care anymore. May the will of the Mods be done.

beer.gif bukkake.gif 3some.gif beers beers all around! zDuivel7.gif smiliegojerkit.gif 68.gif blowjob.gif moon.gif pureevil.gif crucified.gif firedevil.gif sex.gif freak3.gif repuke.gif 69.gif spanka.gif SUCK.gif smileysex.gif sing_99.gif

Since this thread is a useless waste of time, might as well have a party!3.gif

• Super Moderator

beer.gif bukkake.gif 3some.gif beers beers all around! zDuivel7.gif smiliegojerkit.gif 68.gif blowjob.gif moon.gif pureevil.gif crucified.gif firedevil.gif sex.gif freak3.gif repuke.gif 69.gif spanka.gif SUCK.gif smileysex.gif sing_99.gif

Since this thread is a useless waste of time, might as well have a party!3.gif

It ain't a party 'til Amateur shows up.

• Like 1

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say 
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say 
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one    -  John Lennon
  • Like 5

ShackledNoMore

Uber Skeptic

• photo-thumb-2272.png?_r=1349579083
  • ★ Gold Patron ★
  • cc_icon.gif
  • 2,425 posts
  • Interests:Yes
  • Still have any Gods? If so, who or what? :No

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

Wololo, on 12 May 2014 - 6:46 PM, said:snapback.png

No, it's something called context, and none of you understand what it means. I would explain further, but you can't seem to fathom it. God doesn't have a bad side. If you were more receptive to context, I would be able to explain it, but all I meet is hot resistance.

Sorry.  I've read the bible.  All of it.  More than once.  In context.

The fact is, I never really appreciated context until AFTER I deconverted.

Of course I can't speak for every last Christian and every last church in the face of the earth, but it's been my observation that the most typical style of "teaching" from the pulpit is to jump around the bible, picking out verses that support your sermon.  Then there's "when the bible says x, it means y," which is invariably tailored to the theology of the particular preacher/church.  Then there's the historical context, frequently derived from the stories in the bible.  Then there's the god who tolerated one man to be married to 700 women while he ordered his followers to stone people to death who picked up sticks on the Sabbath (we know he only tolerated this type of marriage because from recent times we learned that he always intended for marriage to be one man, one woman--good thing that our cultural context has changed so that you can go to Denny's now after church, not that it wouldn't be the mark of an all loving god to have those same wait staff executed if only the context was slightly different).  Finally, we thank the holy spirit for the discernment to determine all those side-by-side harsh verses in Leviticus which were contextual and which ones still apply today.

Very good! Copied from another thread.

Speaking of Leviticus (above), these guys are freaking hilarious 

Sunday Dispatch.17

"He's put enough in this world to make faith one of the most reasonable things. He's left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason alone."

~Ravi Zacharias

All of these men had faith too... all of them

catholic_inquisition_in_india.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday Dispatch.17

"He's put enough in this world to make faith one of the most reasonable things. He's left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason alone."

~Ravi Zacharias

Ravi's calling in life is to be a "classical evangelist in the arena of the intellectually resistant." I wonder if you have the same calling. It feels nice to have a calling doesn't it? 

I live by "sheer reason alone". I have to say it's tough to do so with all these supernatural things happening around me. Just this morning as I was sitting in traffic, slightly hung over of course what with it being Monday morning and everything, and suddenly I started getting every light green. Shocked I then came in to the office, pretending I wanted to be here of course, logged into my computer and came straight to this thread knowing that you will guide me back to "one of the most reasonable things" - FAITH. 

Thank you Ironhorse for saving me. I'm going to go read up on how this Evangelical Christianity differs from the Dutch reformed church that I was a member of for 29 years. That's the major one here in my part of the world and I will adjust my faith accordingly. I was probably just in the wrong church all along. You guys should send missionaries here to Africa to convert us. 

Sunday Dispatch.17

"To me, He's put enough in this world to make faith one of the most reasonable things. He's left enough out to make it impossible for me to live by sheer reason alone."

~Ravi Zacharias

I wonder how many of these quotes we can make vastly better by adding "for me" or "to me" to them. I've tried it above, and I think it's a definite improvement.

• Like 6

All the people who live by sheer reason alone prove that Ravi Zacharias was wrong.

Sunday Dispatch.17

~Ravi Zacharias

Ironhorse, I don't think that you'll get too far quoting Ravi Zacharias here.  IMO, he's very intelligent but doesn't apply his own logical critiques of other systems of thought to his own.  This makes him appear to be using his intelligence to deceive instead of asking people to be honest and humble when approaching speculative thought systems.  

The mystic works in categories that can still have some inner consistency perhaps.  The apologist, IMO, has to erode his integrity to fight his good fight.

To turn a phrase a bit, "what does it profit a man to gain the world for a religion, but forfeit his own soul?"

We need a new Christian here. This one's boring.

• Like 1