Goodbye Jesus

Sunday Dispatch

ironhorse

Bravo, TRP,  bravo!

Thanks for your offer to help 'decovert' me, but I have left the Discotheque.

I'm going to to be here as a believer Until the End of the World.

And we'll be here to laugh at you.

Impressive piece of creative writing. I enjoyed reading it.

It's good to have something that works for you.

My agnosticism works great for me.

Really truly I don't care what you believe. It's just fun to argue against Christianity on this website.

Jesus, were you just around the corner?

Did you think to try and warn her?

Were you working on something new?

If there's an order in all of this disorder

Is it like a tape recorder?

Can we rewind it just once more?

Wake up, wake up dead man

Wake up, wake up dead man.

~Bono

Strange you posted from "Wake Up Dead Man".

A few days ago I was thinking of using it as today's Dispatch

but decided to wait for awhile.

Yeah, I suppose the lord laid that song on both of our hearts, huh?  Mysterious Ways, indeed!  Now if God Would Send His Angels, we'd have no more need for faith or Grace.  But the fact is, today is just another Bloody Sunday and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, as I suspect is also true for you.  Anyway, TinPony, this website will get along just fine With or Without You, even though I suspect you think you've started an Unforgettable Fire here, don't you, Boy?  

Do you even realize that all of us (and many of the lurkers) have already seen you for the Drowning Man that you are?  You are not any kind of Original Of The Species; you're just another empty mind proclaiming "I Fall Down before the lord and you should too."  Perhaps it's time to Surrender; or will you wait until October and go out With A Shout?  This is an ex-christian site and you think your message will cause us to Rejoice, but if ever there were a Stranger In a Strange Land, surely it is you.  Ever since you got here you've been Running to Stand Still; you would perhaps feel more comfortable In God's Country.  You could remain in peace there Until The End Of The World.  Personally, I don't care where I am, so long as Miss Sarajevo is on my arm saying Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.  But you?  Well, you are just Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, aren't you?  You'd be doing more good if you were Staring At The Sun.  Instead of Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, telling everyone that what you've got is a Miracle Drug that is Even Better Than The Real Thing, maybe you should just admit, Please, that you have no idea what will happen to anyone on their Last Night On Earth.  I know you believe that what happens is A Sort Of Homecoming and that we will all gather before the lord on a Promenade, in Another Time, Another Place, in the City Of Blinding Lights; but those are just Stories For Boys.  You know more about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb than you know about god and the afterlife.

I'm sure you could win a few converts If You Wear That Velvet Dress in The Playboy Mansion, but on this website you just seem Out Of Control.  This isn't just the opinion of me, a simple Southern Redneck; there are people in Van Diemen's Land, not to mention the Heartland, who also have a Desire to see you Exit and finally be Gone.  Your Pride (In The Name Of Love, naturally) won't let you do it, though, will it?  

Don't you realize that christianity is about nothing more than Silver And Gold?  Oh, they tell you that jesus says "All I Want Is You", but even those Jehovah's Witnesses who line up All Along The Watchtower (cover) their expenses with money filched from the faithful.  Hell, at least The Electric Co. sells a legitimate product.  Religion sells nothing more than Shadows And Tall Trees upon which those shadows were crucified.  That's just Bad.  Do You Feel Loved?  I mean, really feel loved, in church?  I know One thing: I feel One Step Closer to love in a Discotheque, despite the Vertigo.  

Don't you ever get tired of having to bend and whirl your theology like an Acrobat?  Telling people that what you see can only be seen through the Ultraviolet Light of faith?  Or have you become Numb to it all since The First Time?  What do you say to the Mothers Of The Disappeared?  That god had a plan?  Is That All?  What sort of thoughts Trip Through Your Wires whenever you meet someone who has experienced real suffering like that?  What do you say to The Refugee?  Rejoice?  That they should feel Love And Peace Or Else?  Do you really expect them to wait on the Crumbs From Your Table?  Do you think they will accept Yahweh, despite the horrible things he's done, All Because Of You?

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, TinPony; so when you decide you are ready to deconvert, we'll be here for you.  

So what about the Beginning of the World, Ironhorse?

If you're absolutely certain about it's end, what about it's beginning?

You believe it happened just as Genesis says?

I used to love saying things like that.  If I stated my belief clearly then it would make me feel like it's all true and there's no doubts. (I used to think I'm the only one with doubts)

I also loved repeating the confession of faith in church. 

"We believe (I believe) in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, and born of the Father before all ages. (God of God) light of light, true God of true God. Begotten not made, consubstantial to the Father, by whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven. And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made man; was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, suffered and was buried; and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures. And ascended into heaven, sitteth at the right hand of the Father, and shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, of whose Kingdom there shall be no end. And (I believe) in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father (and the Son), who together with the Father and the Son is to be adored and glorified, who spake by the Prophets. And one holy, catholic and apostolic Church. We confess (I confess) one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for (I look for) the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen".

When everyone repeated this creed out loud it started sounding like one voice and it was almost as if god himself was speaking.

What are you doing here Ironhorse? Do you get a thrill declaring your unwavering dedication to god in front of non-believers? I reject your god for the same reason you reject all other gods. We're both atheists. I just go one god further than you do.
  • Like 4

• Super Moderator

I hate to be the one to point this out but I did not offer to help deconvert you.  Rather, I said "when you are ready to deconvert, we'll be here for you."  The distinction may seem petty but, in actuality, it is huge as it demonstrates the differences between your goals and mine.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

And let's not forget this little jewel, also from Bono:

"I'm in the waiting room

I can't see through the smoke

I think of you and your holy book

When the rest of us choke

Tell me tell me

What do you see?"

~U2 "When I Look At The World"

Jesus, were you just around the corner?

Did you think to try and warn her?

Were you working on something new?

If there's an order in all of this disorder

Is it like a tape recorder?

Can we rewind it just once more?

Wake up, wake up dead man

~Bono

Strange you posted from "Wake Up Dead Man".

A few days ago I was thinking of using it as today's Dispatch

but decided to wait for awhile.

Yeah, I suppose the lord laid that song on both of our hearts, huh?  Mysterious Ways, indeed!  Now if God Would Send His Angels, we'd have no more need for faith or Grace.  But the fact is, today is just another Bloody Sunday and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, as I suspect is also true for you.  Anyway, TinPony, this website will get along just fine With or Without You, even though I suspect you think you've started an Unforgettable Fire here, don't you, Boy?  

Do you even realize that all of us (and many of the lurkers) have already seen you for the Drowning Man that you are?  You are not any kind of Original Of The Species; you're just another empty mind proclaiming "I Fall Down before the lord and you should too."  Perhaps it's time to Surrender; or will you wait until October and go out With A Shout?  This is an ex-christian site and you think your message will cause us to Rejoice, but if ever there were a Stranger In a Strange Land, surely it is you.  Ever since you got here you've been Running to Stand Still; you would perhaps feel more comfortable In God's Country.  You could remain in peace there Until The End Of The World.  Personally, I don't care where I am, so long as Miss Sarajevo is on my arm saying Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.  But you?  Well, you are just Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, aren't you?  You'd be doing more good if you were Staring At The Sun.  Instead of Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, telling everyone that what you've got is a Miracle Drug that is Even Better Than The Real Thing, maybe you should just admit, Please, that you have no idea what will happen to anyone on their Last Night On Earth.  I know you believe that what happens is A Sort Of Homecoming and that we will all gather before the lord on a Promenade, in Another Time, Another Place, in the City Of Blinding Lights; but those are just Stories For Boys.  You know more about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb than you know about god and the afterlife.

I'm sure you could win a few converts If You Wear That Velvet Dress in The Playboy Mansion, but on this website you just seem Out Of Control.  This isn't just the opinion of me, a simple Southern Redneck; there are people in Van Diemen's Land, not to mention the Heartland, who also have a Desire to see you Exit and finally be Gone.  Your Pride (In The Name Of Love, naturally) won't let you do it, though, will it?  

Don't you realize that christianity is about nothing more than Silver And Gold?  Oh, they tell you that jesus says "All I Want Is You", but even those Jehovah's Witnesses who line up All Along The Watchtower (cover) their expenses with money filched from the faithful.  Hell, at least The Electric Co. sells a legitimate product.  Religion sells nothing more than Shadows And Tall Trees upon which those shadows were crucified.  That's just Bad.  Do You Feel Loved?  I mean, really feel loved, in church?  I know One thing: I feel One Step Closer to love in a Discotheque, despite the Vertigo.  

Don't you ever get tired of having to bend and whirl your theology like an Acrobat?  Telling people that what you see can only be seen through the Ultraviolet Light of faith?  Or have you become Numb to it all since The First Time?  What do you say to the Mothers Of The Disappeared?  That god had a plan?  Is That All?  What sort of thoughts Trip Through Your Wires whenever you meet someone who has experienced real suffering like that?  What do you say to The Refugee?  Rejoice?  That they should feel Love And Peace Or Else?  Do you really expect them to wait on the Crumbs From Your Table?  Do you think they will accept Yahweh, despite the horrible things he's done, All Because Of You?

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, TinPony; so when you decide you are ready to deconvert, we'll be here for you.  

Mom was right. Youth is wasted on the young.  I'm looking at you ironhorse.

"I'm in the waiting room

Tell me tell me

What do you see?"

I agree...Bono has written many good songs.

Comments on the meaning of this one....

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/36932/

• Super Moderator

"I'm in the waiting room

Tell me tell me

What do you see?"

I agree...Bono has written many good songs.

Comments on the meaning of this one....

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/36932/

Well, ain't you just an artful dodger!

• Like 1

All of these Bono-heavy posts smack a little of... idolatry, don't they, Iron Horse? Back when I used quotes from pop songs to explain my feelings about life and God, that's what the teachers at my Christian high school told me, anyway. Music was taking up too much space in my life and my heart. Unless it was Jesus, it was idolatry, and that was a sin. So turn off Joshua Tree and open your bible, kid, because that's what Christianity demands of you. Period. 

However, since I'm down with idolatry and pop music, Adam Clayton is turning into quite the silver fox, isn't he?

• Like 1

Guest afireinside

Yeah Ironhorse perhaps you should start a thread discussing music, it's interesting, I'm a bit of a songmeanings.com addict. Be good to discuss some different bands and songs, not just U2

Guest afireinside

Bono Christ.

Apparently next world tour he has a pool in the middle of the stage and walks over it and at the end of each show he hands out a loaf of bread and a fish to each concert-goer.

All of these Bono-heavy posts smack a little of... idolatry, don't they, Iron Horse? Back when I used quotes from pop songs to explain my feelings about life and God, that's what the teachers at my Christian high school told me, anyway. Music was taking up too much space in my life and my heart. Unless it was Jesus, it was idolatry, and that was a sin. So turn off Joshua Tree and open your bible, kid, because that's what Christianity demands of you. Period. 

However, since I'm down with idolatry and pop music, Adam Clayton is turning into quite the silver fox, isn't he?

I always liked Adam Clayton cos he was the bad boy of the band.

• Super Moderator

Y'all two need a cold shower to take The Edge off (sorry, once I get started on a particular "pun-path", it's hard to get stopped again).

• Like 2

Bono Christ.

Apparently next world tour he has a pool in the middle of the stage and walks over it and at the end of each show he hands out a loaf of bread and a fish to each concert-goer.

:-)

He just breaks off a piece of bread for each concert-goer and it feeds all 50,000 of them! It's a miracle!

Y'all two need a cold shower to take The Edge off (sorry, once I get started on a particular "pun-path", it's hard to get stopped again).

After Mullen it over, I don't see any problems with the puns....

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

So long as they are made pro bono publico, I think they are acceptable.

U2 are too funny.

• Super Moderator

U2 are too funny.

Can't help it, puns just Pop out of me.

U2 are too funny.

It's a shame Ironhorse is such a Lemon, but what else can you do with a Boy like that? For him, the religious rhetoric is just All That You Can't Leave Behind. But we all know that deconverting feels like How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.  

• Super Moderator

U2 are too funny.

It's a shame Ironhorse is such a Lemon, but what else can you do with a Boy like that? For him, the religious rhetoric is just All That You Can't Leave Behind. But we all know that deconverting feels like How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.  

Yeah, TinPony believes that jesus will take him up to heaven, Where The Streets Have No Name, by the same Grace by which he somehow can't produce Peace On Earth.  What a Beautiful Day that will be, right TinPony?

Hey, can we throw in some AC/DC and Metallia to keep it interesting? Grateful Dead "Hell in a Bucket?"