Goodbye Jesus

Sunday Dispatch

ironhorse

Don't you just love how christians take one paragraph from a letter of a famous person and treat it as if that person was a "true christian"?  A quick google search of the quote reveals the whole letter.  I have quoted the "important" parts of the letter here, but the link will bring you to the whole letter.

http://www.webexhibits.org/vangogh/letter/18/B08.htm

(letter excerpts snipped -- MG)

unedited letter  (unedited letter snipped -- MG)

You know, ironhorse, Marty gave us the link to the whole letter. With this newfangled Internet thingie, all we had to do was click on the link to read the whole thing -- magically! No need to reprint it entirely here.

But since you felt that we needed to see it twice: why? Did you not notice the long discussion above about why Vincent van Gogh's opinions are irrelevant?

Or perhaps you could explain to us what made that poor, crazy, booze-drenched, self-mutilating probable suicide an expert on the wonders of Jesus and the "truth" of the bible?

• Like 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Sunday Dispatch.11

They laughed at Joan of Arc, but she

went right ahead and built it anyway.

~Gracie Allen

Ah, the "showing us what regular folks christians are" ploy. See? We can even laugh at jokes about our religion!

Sunday Dispatch.11

~Gracie Allen

4th request to show that the story of Jesus' Agony/Arrest at Gethsamane is plausible as portrayed by the four gospels. Come on over; some good additions have been made to the thread.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/61569-gethsemane-gospel-disparities/page-2#entry937306

• Super Moderator

Sunday Dispatch.11

~Gracie Allen

Oh, well I admit that if I had known that Gracie Allen said that about Joan of Arc when I was a christian, I probably still would have become an atheist because jesus isn't real!

Sunday Dispatch.11

~Gracie Allen

Another brilliant masterpiece of philosophy, sir.

• Like 1

Uh-oh. Where is he? Must have been raptured.

I read ruptured. Same idea though.

Sunday Dispatch.11

~Gracie Allen

This was fun at first. You would post something and then I would post something. Then we would laugh. Actually it was probably just me.

You probably felt smug in the knowledge that you're special and chosen, knowing that I will be sorry one day when I'm being tortured for all eternity by your gods nemesis. You will sit there next to Jesus, look down at me screaming asking for a single drop of water and you will think if only he listened. If only they all listened.

Maybe you'll feel bad, because you do actually sound like a good person, and ask Jesus if there's anything he can do to relieve the torture for us, because he's all good and what not. He will, judging from scripture, not be too keen to help. Maybe he'll even laugh, but that's just how I imagine him and there's no scripture to back this up. All scripture says is that you will be watching us burn.

I wan't to make it clear that I don't hold you accountable for my future eternal torture. You did what you could with your Winnie the Pooh and Gracie Allen. I don't want you to sit next to Jesus and worry if he's really that good if he enjoys this kind of thing. You just sit there and relax. Have a beer or something.

It's my own fault for ignoring these quotes.

• Like 2

All this latest one proves is that Gracie Allen was the funniest person in the world. But I already knew that.

• Like 1

Don't you just love how christians take one paragraph from a letter of a famous person and treat it as if that person was a "true christian"?  A quick google search of the quote reveals the whole letter.  I have quoted the "important" parts of the letter here, but the link will bring you to the whole letter.

http://www.webexhibits.org/vangogh/letter/18/B08.htm

(letter excerpts snipped -- MG)

unedited letter  (unedited letter snipped -- MG)

You know, ironhorse, Marty gave us the link to the whole letter. With this newfangled Internet thingie, all we had to do was click on the link to read the whole thing -- magically! No need to reprint it entirely here.

But since you felt that we needed to see it twice: why? Did you not notice the long discussion above about why Vincent van Gogh's opinions are irrelevant?

Or perhaps you could explain to us what made that poor, crazy, booze-drenched, self-mutilating probable suicide an expert on the wonders of Jesus and the "truth" of the bible?

Is it just me or is Ironhorse's "Unedited Letter" missing some stuff that was in the link I found?  Like the part about "how small minded the old story is" and such?  Maybe it's still early and my eyes missed it… The opening of the letter is definitely missing...

Sunday Dispatch.11

~Gracie Allen

Ah, the "showing us what regular folks christians are" ploy. See? We can even laugh at jokes about our religion!

Yea, but weren't George and Gracie Jewish?

*Edit*

Gracie was born Irish Catholic… 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracie_Allen#Early_life

Sunday Dispatch.12

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings...
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

~U2

"You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You

know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a

tooth for a tooth, or in physics—in physical laws—every action is

met by an equal or an opposite one…. And yet, along comes this

idea called Grace to upend all that…. Grace defies reason and logic."

"Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions,

which in my case is very good news indeed, because I’ve

done a lot of stupid stuff…. It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but

I’m holding out for Grace."

"I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am,

and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity…. The point of the death of Christ is

that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and

that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death."

"That’s the point. It should keep us humbled….

It’s not our own good works that get us through the gates of Heaven."

~Bono

Nice job Ironhorse!

No response to Ficino's requests and no response to mine either.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Jesus, were you just around the corner?
Did you think to try and warn her?
Were you working on something new?
If there's an order in all of this disorder
Is it like a tape recorder?
Can we rewind it just once more?

Wake up, wake up dead man
Wake up, wake up dead man.

~Bono

• Like 2

You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believed it

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

U2/Bono

I believed it too...for a while, Bono.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bono&page=4

• Like 1

~Bono

Strange you posted from "Wake Up Dead Man".

A few days ago I was thinking of using it as today's Dispatch

but decided to wait for awhile.

Coming at the end of their album Pop,

it's a honest and brutal song of one struggling in a world gone wrong

and praying for help.

A lot of comments on the song here:

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/13662/

• Super Moderator

~Bono

Yeah, I suppose the lord laid that song on both of our hearts, huh?  Mysterious Ways, indeed!  Now if God Would Send His Angels, we'd have no more need for faith or Grace.  But the fact is, today is just another Bloody Sunday and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, as I suspect is also true for you.  Anyway, TinPony, this website will get along just fine With or Without You, even though I suspect you think you've started an Unforgettable Fire here, don't you, Boy?  

Do you even realize that all of us (and many of the lurkers) have already seen you for the Drowning Man that you are?  You are not any kind of Original Of The Species; you're just another empty mind proclaiming "I Fall Down before the lord and you should too."  Perhaps it's time to Surrender; or will you wait until October and go out With A Shout?  This is an ex-christian site and you think your message will cause us to Rejoice, but if ever there were a Stranger In a Strange Land, surely it is you.  Ever since you got here you've been Running to Stand Still; you would perhaps feel more comfortable In God's Country.  You could remain in peace there Until The End Of The World.  Personally, I don't care where I am, so long as Miss Sarajevo is on my arm saying Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.  But you?  Well, you are just Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, aren't you?  You'd be doing more good if you were Staring At The Sun.  Instead of Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, telling everyone that what you've got is a Miracle Drug that is Even Better Than The Real Thing, maybe you should just admit, Please, that you have no idea what will happen to anyone on their Last Night On Earth.  I know you believe that what happens is A Sort Of Homecoming and that we will all gather before the lord on a Promenade, in Another Time, Another Place, in the City Of Blinding Lights; but those are just Stories For Boys.  You know more about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb than you know about god and the afterlife.

I'm sure you could win a few converts If You Wear That Velvet Dress in The Playboy Mansion, but on this website you just seem Out Of Control.  This isn't just the opinion of me, a simple Southern Redneck; there are people in Van Diemen's Land, not to mention the Heartland, who also have a Desire to see you Exit and finally be Gone.  Your Pride (In The Name Of Love, naturally) won't let you do it, though, will it?  

Don't you realize that christianity is about nothing more than Silver And Gold?  Oh, they tell you that jesus says "All I Want Is You", but even those Jehovah's Witnesses who line up All Along The Watchtower (cover) their expenses with money filched from the faithful.  Hell, at least The Electric Co. sells a legitimate product.  Religion sells nothing more than Shadows And Tall Trees upon which those shadows were crucified.  That's just Bad.  Do You Feel Loved?  I mean, really feel loved, in church?  I know One thing: I feel One Step Closer to love in a Discotheque, despite the Vertigo.  

Don't you ever get tired of having to bend and whirl your theology like an Acrobat?  Telling people that what you see can only be seen through the Ultraviolet Light of faith?  Or have you become Numb to it all since The First Time?  What do you say to the Mothers Of The Disappeared?  That god had a plan?  Is That All?  What sort of thoughts Trip Through Your Wires whenever you meet someone who has experienced real suffering like that?  What do you say to The Refugee?  Rejoice?  That they should feel Love And Peace Or Else?  Do you really expect them to wait on the Crumbs From Your Table?  Do you think they will accept Yahweh, despite the horrible things he's done, All Because Of You?

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, TinPony; so when you decide you are ready to deconvert, we'll be here for you.  

• Like 5

Guest afireinside

~Bono

Yeah, I suppose the lord laid that song on both of our hearts, huh? Mysterious Ways, indeed! Now if God Would Send His Angels, we'd have no more need for faith or Grace. But the fact is, today is just another Bloody Sunday and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, as I suspect is also true for you. Anyway, TinPony, this website will get along just fine With or Without You, even though I suspect you think you've started an Unforgettable Fire here, don't you, Boy?

Do you even realize that all of us (and many of the lurkers) have already seen you for the Drowning Man that you are? You are not any kind of Original Of The Species; you're just another empty mind proclaiming "I Fall Down before the lord and you should too." Perhaps it's time to Surrender; or will you wait until October and go out With A Shout? This is an ex-christian site and you think your message will cause us to Rejoice, but if ever there were a Stranger In a Strange Land, surely it is you. Ever since you got here you've been Running to Stand Still; you would perhaps feel more comfortable In God's Country. You could remain in peace there Until The End Of The World. Personally, I don't care where I am, so long as Miss Sarajevo is on my arm saying Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. But you? Well, you are just Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, aren't you? You'd be doing more good if you were Staring At The Sun. Instead of Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, telling everyone that what you've got is a Miracle Drug that is Even Better Than The Real Thing, maybe you should just admit, Please, that you have no idea what will happen to anyone on their Last Night On Earth. I know you believe that what happens is A Sort Of Homecoming and that we will all gather before the lord on a Promenade, in Another Time, Another Place, in the City Of Blinding Lights; but those are just Stories For Boys. You know more about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb than you know about god and the afterlife.

I'm sure you could win a few converts If You Wear That Velvet Dress in The Playboy Mansion, but on this website you just seem Out Of Control. This isn't just the opinion of me, a simple Southern Redneck; there are people in Van Diemen's Land, not to mention the Heartland, who also have a Desire to see you Exit and finally be Gone. Your Pride (In The Name Of Love, naturally) won't let you do it, though, will it?

Don't you realize that christianity is about nothing more than Silver And Gold? Oh, they tell you that jesus says "All I Want Is You", but even those Jehovah's Witnesses who line up All Along The Watchtower (cover) their expenses with money filched from the faithful. Hell, at least The Electric Co. sells a legitimate product. Religion sells nothing more than Shadows And Tall Trees upon which those shadows were crucified. That's just Bad. Do You Feel Loved? I mean, really feel loved, in church? I know One thing: I feel One Step Closer to love in a Discotheque, despite the Vertigo.

Don't you ever get tired of having to bend and whirl your theology like an Acrobat? Telling people that what you see can only be seen through the Ultraviolet Light of faith? Or have you become Numb to it all since The First Time? What do you say to the Mothers Of The Disappeared? That god had a plan? Is That All? What sort of thoughts Trip Through Your Wires whenever you meet someone who has experienced real suffering like that? What do you say to The Refugee? Rejoice? That they should feel Love And Peace Or Else? Do you really expect them to wait on the Crumbs From Your Table? Do you think they will accept Yahweh, despite the horrible things he's done, All Because Of You?

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, TinPony; so when you decide you are ready to deconvert, we'll be here for you.

Holy fuck professor, that's amazing!

Can you do AC/DC next week

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

^^^Sorry mate, I only do Dirty Deeds; but I make sure they get Done Dirt Cheap.

• Like 2

I just love being happy without Jesus. :-)

• Like 5

~Bono

Yeah, I suppose the lord laid that song on both of our hearts, huh?  Mysterious Ways, indeed!  Now if God Would Send His Angels, we'd have no more need for faith or Grace.  But the fact is, today is just another Bloody Sunday and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, as I suspect is also true for you.  Anyway, TinPony, this website will get along just fine With or Without You, even though I suspect you think you've started an Unforgettable Fire here, don't you, Boy?  

Do you even realize that all of us (and many of the lurkers) have already seen you for the Drowning Man that you are?  You are not any kind of Original Of The Species; you're just another empty mind proclaiming "I Fall Down before the lord and you should too."  Perhaps it's time to Surrender; or will you wait until October and go out With A Shout?  This is an ex-christian site and you think your message will cause us to Rejoice, but if ever there were a Stranger In a Strange Land, surely it is you.  Ever since you got here you've been Running to Stand Still; you would perhaps feel more comfortable In God's Country.  You could remain in peace there Until The End Of The World.  Personally, I don't care where I am, so long as Miss Sarajevo is on my arm saying Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.  But you?  Well, you are just Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, aren't you?  You'd be doing more good if you were Staring At The Sun.  Instead of Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, telling everyone that what you've got is a Miracle Drug that is Even Better Than The Real Thing, maybe you should just admit, Please, that you have no idea what will happen to anyone on their Last Night On Earth.  I know you believe that what happens is A Sort Of Homecoming and that we will all gather before the lord on a Promenade, in Another Time, Another Place, in the City Of Blinding Lights; but those are just Stories For Boys.  You know more about How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb than you know about god and the afterlife.

I'm sure you could win a few converts If You Wear That Velvet Dress in The Playboy Mansion, but on this website you just seem Out Of Control.  This isn't just the opinion of me, a simple Southern Redneck; there are people in Van Diemen's Land, not to mention the Heartland, who also have a Desire to see you Exit and finally be Gone.  Your Pride (In The Name Of Love, naturally) won't let you do it, though, will it?  

Don't you realize that christianity is about nothing more than Silver And Gold?  Oh, they tell you that jesus says "All I Want Is You", but even those Jehovah's Witnesses who line up All Along The Watchtower (cover) their expenses with money filched from the faithful.  Hell, at least The Electric Co. sells a legitimate product.  Religion sells nothing more than Shadows And Tall Trees upon which those shadows were crucified.  That's just Bad.  Do You Feel Loved?  I mean, really feel loved, in church?  I know One thing: I feel One Step Closer to love in a Discotheque, despite the Vertigo.  

Don't you ever get tired of having to bend and whirl your theology like an Acrobat?  Telling people that what you see can only be seen through the Ultraviolet Light of faith?  Or have you become Numb to it all since The First Time?  What do you say to the Mothers Of The Disappeared?  That god had a plan?  Is That All?  What sort of thoughts Trip Through Your Wires whenever you meet someone who has experienced real suffering like that?  What do you say to The Refugee?  Rejoice?  That they should feel Love And Peace Or Else?  Do you really expect them to wait on the Crumbs From Your Table?  Do you think they will accept Yahweh, despite the horrible things he's done, All Because Of You?

Impressive piece of creative writing. I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for your offer to help 'decovert' me, but I have left the Discotheque.

I'm going to to be here as a believer Until the End of the World. 

Thanks for your offer to help 'decovert' me, but I have left the Discotheque.

Translation from liberal christianese to plain English:

"I won't allow myself to be persuaded by any argument, I don't know why jesus ordered the rape of young girls, murder of the elderly and young boys, and all the other horrific shit in the bible.  But I believe jesus is my friend."

• Like 1

Guest afireinside

Thanks for your offer to help 'decovert' me, but I have left the Discotheque.

Translation from liberal christianese to plain English:

"I won't allow myself to be persuaded by any argument, I don't know why jesus ordered the rape of young girls, murder of the elderly and young boys, and all the other horrific shit in the bible. But I believe jesus is my friend."

Guilty by association...