Goodbye Jesus

Sunday Dispatch

ironhorse

A simple enough question for you Ironhorse.

Do you consider the Gospels to be an unbiased historical record?

(I think I'll PM you this, so that you can ignore in your Inbox as well as here.)

• Like 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Sunday Dispatch.17

"To me, He's put enough in this world to make faith one of the most reasonable things. He's left enough out to make it impossible for me to live by sheer reason alone."

~Ravi Zacharias

I wonder how many of these quotes we can make vastly better by adding "for me" or "to me" to them. I've tried it above, and I think it's a definite improvement.
I wonder with what manner of torture Ravi Zacharias' Hindu ancestors were threatened before they converted to Christianity.

Two questions:

Are you saying the Gospel is spread by torture and forced conversions?

What do you know about Ravi Zacharias' conversion to Christianity?

Yes I am saying that the gospel is spread by torture and forced conversions. In India this is de rigueur, which is precisely why I am adamant that evangelical Christianity should be an illegal religion.

What do I know about Ravi Zacharias' conversion? Nothing, but I imagine that his family's conversion went something like the Goan Inquisition. If you didn't know there was an Inquisition in India, you may wish to browse Wikipedia at this point.

• Like 1

I was going to cite just one example, Charlemagne's forced conversion of the Saxons and execution of those who didn't convert, but Ravenstar already mentioned this.

I thought at the beginning that Ironhorse was OK, but I agree that the overall behavior is trolling.  The dude doesn't post anything of value.

• Like 2

I was going to cite just one example, Charlemagne's forced conversion of the Saxons and execution of those who didn't convert, but Ravenstar already mentioned this.

I thought at the beginning that Ironhorse was OK, but I agree that the overall behavior is trolling. The dude doesn't post anything of value.

My friend, you needn't search history for such examples. To this day evangelicals from America export their filth by way of missionary. Evangelicals in India prey on the impoverished, offering meager financial incentives for conversion and regular church attendance. But if history is any indicator, they only eschew actual conversion by gunpoint because India now governs itself.

...again, this is why I strongly advocate for banning the practice of evangelical Christianity both in America and abroad.

someone here was contributing to world vision or something, and when the recipent did not attend service, or converted, the charity stopped,,,,,

Ironhorse,

You really need to check into what Bhim and Ravenstar are saying-- for yourself.  Maybe you can find some sort of way of claiming that your particular version of Christianity was not spread by force.  However, to say that Christianity was not spread by force by Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians is simply not accurate.  I know of no Christian historian at all who would support you on this one...

And I'd agree.  I thought Ironhorse was being serious here in his attempt to dialogue.  Now I think he's just messing with us...

someone here was contributing to world vision or something, and when the recipent did not attend service, or converted, the charity stopped,,,,,

This would be consistent with every account I read. It really says something about the impotence of Jesus when evangelicals have to regularly pay poor people to attend churches. Evangelical Christianity is a truly despicable religion.

As Aggie said, the violence of Christian history is something that even Christian apologists do not deny. Though they do pin it on various denominations that they consider heretical.

Ironhorse,

How about Augustine's own "admission"...

"For many have found advantage (as we have proved, and are daily proving by actual experiment), in being first compelled by fear or pain, so that they might afterwards be influenced by teaching, or might follow out in act what they had already learned in word.… But while those are better who are guided aright by love, those are certainly more numerous who are corrected by fear."

This is a major, major reason why Christianity is a world religion.

Or Martin Luther...

“Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them … If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs, so that we do not become partakers of their abominable blasphemy and all their other vices and thus merit God's wrath and be damned with them.” On the Jews and Their Lies

If you want to read it yourself...  https://archive.org/search.php?query=reviewer:%22CATCHDUB%22

Maybe Luther and Augustine weren't "true Christians"-- but that's a tough argument to make I think ...

I'm starting to think IH is a clever SB sock puppet. 

SB and "clever" are not two things I would have thought to put together, myself.

Of course, were these Christians acting "biblically" when they did such things??

• You can guess what verses they quoted to justify "holy warfare."  
  • If beating children and slaves is OK, why not heretics (reasoned Augustine)?  
  • You know the verse about killing witches.  
  • The Inquisition had their biblical justifications out of Deuteronomy-- plenty of fodder for killing those who turn away from the Lord.  Since God was going to burn people in hell, they reasoned, it can't be necessarily wrong to do it in this life:  Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned” (Jn 15:6).  Wouldn't it be kind to temporarily torture them into belief in this life, so they aren't tortured forever in the next?

Perverse thinking, but not without biblical justification.  If the Bible is perfect, if God is the supreme Inquisitor, and if God is without sin, it's hard to say such things are inherently sinful (or so people have reasoned)...

Unlikely, since the Christianity IH espouses is vague and progressive, where SB's is very specific and old-school.

I don't think SB would be able to pretend to be a different kind of Christian than he is.

Unlikely, since the Christianity IH espouses is vague and progressive, where SB's is very specific and old-school.

I don't think SB would be able to pretend to be a different kind of Christian than he is.

Is Ironhorse's Christianity progressive?  It's hard to tell what exactly he believes.  He quotes musicians I don't like, and responds to requests for his opinion with a bibliography.

But hey, whatever.  I'm mostly here to denigrate Jesus and see what he does (if anything).

Jesus fucking Christ! This thread is still going? I cannot believe anyone is still engaging with this godtwat. I am completely flummoxed.

I think he's gone

If that's true, then we have indeed been blessed by the FSM's noodly appendage.

Jesus fucking Christ! This thread is still going? I cannot believe anyone is still engaging with this godtwat. I am completely flummoxed.

Well, credit where credit is due. I did not participate except to insult Jesus and IH's choice in music, and to make negative comments about missionaries.

jesus can suck my sweaty, hairy balls, god can go fuck himself, the "holy spirit" is a rancid fart, and I wipe my ass with the buybull. *shrug* nothing better to do in this thread. Hope it ruffles some feathers. Most blasphemous thing I can think of. I claim king of blasphemy, unless someone dethrones me ;) hint hint.

• Like 1

jesus can suck my sweaty, hairy balls, god can go fuck himself, the "holy spirit" is a rancid fart, and I wipe my ass with the buybull. *shrug* nothing better to do in this thread. Hope it ruffles some feathers. Most blasphemous thing I can think of. I claim king of blasphemy, unless someone dethrones me wink.png hint hint.

The jesus, the god and the holy spirit are fictional characters and are not able to do the things you suggest, at least they can't in reality.  They can only do so in fictional settings.

Anger, however, can actually exist in reality.  Why do you make certain fictional characters the focus of anger?

• Like 1

jesus can suck my sweaty, hairy balls, god can go fuck himself, the "holy spirit" is a rancid fart, and I wipe my ass with the buybull. *shrug* nothing better to do in this thread. Hope it ruffles some feathers. Most blasphemous thing I can think of. I claim king of blasphemy, unless someone dethrones me ;) hint hint.

I like your style. We'll get on just fine!

• Like 1

Jesus is not the Messiah, he is a false god, and he is impotent to send anyone to eternal hell.

Not sure if I've dethroned you, but perhaps there is virtue in brevity. Either way, there certainly is no virtue in Jesus.

jesus can suck my sweaty, hairy balls, god can go fuck himself, the "holy spirit" is a rancid fart, and I wipe my ass with the buybull. *shrug* nothing better to do in this thread. Hope it ruffles some feathers. Most blasphemous thing I can think of. I claim king of blasphemy, unless someone dethrones me wink.png hint hint.

Jesus is not the Messiah, he is a false god, and he is impotent to send anyone to eternal hell.

Not sure if I've dethroned you, but perhaps there is virtue in brevity. Either way, there certainly is no virtue in Jesus.

Sorry Bhim. Aries included the "holy spirit" in his blasphemy. That's an unforgivable sin.

Your blaspheme is good and to the point, but you can still repent and be forgiven. He can't. He's doomed to eternal torture.

Sorry Bhim. Aries included the "holy spirit" in his blasphemy. That's an unforgivable sin.

Nobody makes fun of Yehweh's penis.  God can forgive many things but do not suggest that the Holy Spirit is short, or thin, or soft or floppy.

• Like 1