Goodbye Jesus

Get Your Prayers Answered Now!!!

Fweethawt

Miracles are the things that don't happen when people think that the best thing they can do is pray. I don't believe in the existence of 'supernatural' miracles, but I am happy to use the term 'miracle' for really wonderful amazing acts of kindness and courage aimed at relieving the suffering and plight of others.

Hesitent, I'd like to commend you on such a worthy dedication you have to your work! :thanks: I believe that what has to manifest, has to come from within us ALL! It is my belief it is the 'Christ' nature that is within us, that needs to act... so that Christ can resolve these situations through us.

I too, have seen first hand some of these negative repercussions of inadequate foster care, that has tormented these precious children that are most vulnerable. People like you, go way too unrecognized! I've known of cases where the foster parent molested the child, 6 yrs old till 9 yrs old! Another case while under a foster parent's care... a 2 yr old was purposely drowned by another child, while their mother was in jail for trespassing on commercial property!

Even in 'conservative' Florida, we are now discussing these laws changing to allow Gay/Lesbian couples to adopt or be foster care parents for these children. I'm very excited about these ideas! Perhaps there are significant solutions here? I'm curious to know how these ideas are received in UK?

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pug

• Fweethawt

• Lycorth

• Open_Minded

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should make the resurrection, zombies eating brains... :grin:
This actually did happen, but they left that part out of the gospels because they figured that nobody would ever believe it. :mellow:

This actually did happen, but they left that part out of the gospels because they figured that nobody would ever believe it. :mellow:

It would be a heck of a good evangelizing movie. "Be saved or the zombies will eat your brain!" Then Jesus comes flying as the slayer, and whacks all the zombies with flying round-house kicks. Yeah Baby! w00t! :woohoo:

"Be saved or the zombies will eat your brain!"

Regardless of what decision you make between the two choices, your brain is pretty much toast anyway. :scratch:

:lmao:

Regardless of what decision you make between the two choices, your brain is pretty much toast anyway.  :scratch:

:lmao:

Very true. And actually since the zombies were sent by God to preach the good news, maybe it should be said like this instead:

"Be saved AND the zombies will eat your brain!"

Shouldn't you be praying for them?

Can we do a little at a time? Perhaps if you can extend the 14 names and ages of those children under your care... we can start with that?

Hey Pugmiester... good question....

(I am not reading thru all 9 pages if this has been asked before , if so reference backfor me the answer - cool?)

Will Jesus/Bible-God/PatRobertsonGod/God answer the prayers of non-believers? Specifically it is in alignment with his will?

Seriously, I want you to answer this. Or any xian please.

also... does anyone remeber the comic, Bloom County? There was a strip where a cartoon version of James Baker - the felon - was praying for the death for other infidels (gauged by how much the money meter went up for the fundraiser of their church) of likewise tele-preachers like Farwell and Robetson etc. Absoletly excellent and spot on commentary. Quick, extra happy fun bonus - name the verse in Titus that tele-preachers can biblically use against each other!?!! te'HE.

Will Jesus/Bible-God/PatRobertsonGof/God answer teh prayers of non-believers? Specifically it is in alighnment with his will?

Thanks.

Dude, that's why we asked him to pray for us, so that God would actually do something since he claims that when he prays, God answers.

I know where you're going with this though. :HaHa:

Dude, that's why we asked him to pray for us, so that God would actually do something since he claims that when he prays, God answers.

I know where you're going with this though.  :HaHa:

Figures a rodent would be all stealthie-like. I am kind like a jack-hammer in that department.

te'hee!

Figures a rodent would be all stealthie-like. I am kind like a jack-hammer in that department.

te'hee!

"Te'hee!" ?!?!?!

"Te'hee!" ?!?!?!

Are you drinkin' again, Quick, cuz yer actin' silly. :HaHa:

Hesitent, I'd like to commend you on such a worthy dedication you have to your work!  :thanks:   I believe that what has to manifest, has to come from within us ALL! It is my belief it is the 'Christ' nature that is within us, that needs to act... so that Christ can resolve these situations through us.

I too, have seen first hand some of these negative repercussions of inadequate  foster care, that has tormented these precious children that are most vulnerable. People like you, go way too unrecognized! I've known of cases where the foster parent molested the child, 6 yrs old till 9 yrs old! Another case while under a foster parent's care... a 2 yr old was purposely drowned by another child, while their mother was in jail for trespassing on commercial property!

Even in 'conservative' Florida, we are now discussing these laws changing to allow Gay/Lesbian couples to adopt or be foster care parents for these children. I'm very excited about these ideas! Perhaps there are significant solutions here? I'm curious to know how these ideas are received in UK?

Whilst inadequate foster care as a result of active abuse happens, my reason for hoping that the 14 children on my case load get adopted asap, is somewhat different ~ the majority of them are placed with wonderful foster carers and a couple of them are with 'OK' foster carers. Remaining long term in foster care, even with excellent carers does not meet a child's emotional need for security and the permenance that comes from a life long relationship. Foster homes are often full of other children coming and going, many of whom will return to their families. This is too much for the child who cannot return home to keep witnessing.

I add this in ~ because I didn't want you to have the impression that I'm working towards these children being adopted because of some sort of concern about foster carers (it's the whole notion of foster care full stop for children who cannot remain part of their birth family ~ it does work for older children who cannot live fulltime with their birth families but maintain links and relationships with them)

You asked about Gay & Lesbian couples adopting and fostering. In the UK this has been happening quietly for twenty five years and openly for around fifeteen years. Gay and Lesbian couples are still not able to adopt legally as a couple, so what happens is ~ the couple are assessed and then one adopts and the other applies for a Residence Order ~ which gives them 'Parental Responsibility' ~ the legal term for having all the rights and responsibilities of a parent.

This will change with legislation that is currently making its way to the statute books. Hopefully this will end the prejudices that have existed and Gay and Lesbian couples will no longer find they are only offered 'hard to place' children.

Amanda, it is very nice to be commended for my work ~ however to me it is just a 'normal' thing to be passionate about it. As a christian I was raised to believe fighting against injustice and championing the cause of the poor and needy was something that God expected me to be passionate about ~ as was 'showing the love of God to all people'. As a christian I found it almost incomprehensible that so few practice what is preached. I still find it hard to fathom why there is such a shortfall in terms of recruiting people to meet the needs of the vulnerable in a society that claims to christian ~ and the christian who crys 'well that's because society in actually quite secular and just pretending to be christian' cuts no ice with me because churches are not full of people practicing what they preach. One of my biggest frustrations in my last church was the number of people who would 'say' that 'they had a heart for the poor and needy' ~ but who failed to take any action.

The number of times I have conversations along these lines ...

Them: I feel that God is calling me to meet the needs of the poor and needy.

Me: That's wonderful. Is there a particular area of work you feel drawn to?

Them: Well, God has laid it on my heart that there are many little ones who need to feel God's love in their life. I would love to open my arms wide and gather them to me and show them how much God loves them.

Me: Well there are certainly many opportunities for you to show God's love to children in need in practical ways. Right now there is a desperate shortage of foster carers. The great thing about helping in this way is that all the resources are there already. The Local Authority will train you, support you, provide furniture and bedding, cover all the financial costs that are entailed in fostering ~ you need to bring your committment, your patience, your love and understanding.

Them: ..... well I'm not entirely sure yet ~ I think God might be calling me to minister to babies in Africa, not before my own have grown up and left home of course, and really I'm just 'waiting on the Lord' for some clear direction, but keep up the good work there Liz and please be assured of my prayers. You know this would make a great topic for a special prayer meeting wouldn't it ~ why don't you mention it to the group leader?'

:rolleyes:

I am not trying to suggest that christians in the UK or elsewhere don't do some good stuff to help alleviate suffering ~ they do some great stuff. But they fall way short. In a country this jammed pack with churches ~ we shouldn't be struggling to recruit loving capable foster carers, and christians certainly shouldn't be showing up in the minority amoungst foster carers we have. (But both are true)

Christianity does not practice what it preaches about caring for the vulnerable and nine times out of ten 'praying about it' ~ is just a pious cop out. One time in ten something (something from within them) spurs the person speaking the prayer into action.

And in that respect we perhaps find some common ground ;)

"Te'hee!" ?!?!?!

"Te'hee!" ?!?!?!

Are you drinkin' again, Quick, cuz yer actin' silly.  :HaHa:

All I can say this morning that I don't have to wait for hell until after death...

...pass the advil...

Hesitent~

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I'm feeling a bit convicted because I am one that goes across the world to help people and yet I sit with an empty bedroom in my house. I will seriously consider what you have said here.

One quick comment......I agree with you that prayer without action is meaningless.

Tap

Christianity does not practice what it preaches about caring for the vulnerable and nine times out of ten 'praying about it' ~ is just a pious cop out. One time in ten something (something from within them) spurs the person speaking the prayer into action.

And in that respect we perhaps find some common ground ;)

Kind of like... faith, without works, is dead? :scratch:

I agree with you... there is a lot of apathy and complacency around us. I recently heard this applicable saying... "When all is said and done, there is often more said than done." *sigh*

It is my belief, fwiw, that the Christ nature is within us all, and answers to prayers must work through us. IMHO, it does not fall out of the sky.

Hesitent~

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I'm feeling a bit convicted because I am one that goes across the world to help people and yet I sit with an empty bedroom in my house. I will seriously consider what you have said here.

One quick comment......I agree with you that prayer without action is meaningless.

Tap

TAP,

Please note that my gripe here is with christians who 'talk' about going overseas to help, the ones who state that this is something they might do in the future ~ something they cannot do now, because they have to stay where they are for whatever reason ~ and use this as an excuse not to help where they could contribute immediately.

I'm not an advocate of the 'charity begins at home' school. I'm an advocate of 'charity begins when it begins!'. (and I use the term *charity* advisedly)

My view is that the message is clear for christians when it comes to meeting the needs of the vulnerable. The only problem facing churches should be the length of their waiting lists to try and place willing souls in situations where they can 'practice what they preach' in relation to compassion and helping the needy! But generally it isn't!

And yet in all that I say ~ I am aware of this ... I could do more.

Re the empty bedroom ... I don't know about schemes in the US but in the UK we have some great 'respite' schemes that suit carers who work outside of the home really well. A foster carer is 'linked' with a family and provides respite foster care for alternate weekends or one in three and additional respite during school holidays (school teachers are highly prized for this reason!) usually the child has a disability of some kind (this can be a learning difficulty or a physical disability) or maybe the parent has and the role is very much a supportive one.

Just a thought.

;)

You're basically saying prayer is meaningless. So what's your opinion of action without prayer (or faith)?

It is my belief, fwiw, that the Christ nature is within us all, and answers to prayers must work through us.

You're both right.

I take it a step further. Since I believe religion is man made, I believe the 'christ nature' that you speak of is mythology derived from man making god in his own image, and we give god credit for the good works of men in order to inspire more men to do the same, even if it's out of fear.

I think you guys are so close to the truth, and that is, miracles only happen when human beings make them happen. Christ had nothing to do with it. Prayer does zilch.

People, and only people, do miracles.

Ain't that the truth! :D

I guess maybe for some people who perform 'miracles' ~ their response to the story of Christ prompted their performance of the miracle.

Kind of like... faith, without works, is dead?  :scratch:

I agree with you... there is a lot of apathy and complacency around us. I recently heard this applicable saying... "When all is said and done, there is often more said than done." *sigh*

It is my belief, fwiw, that the Christ nature is within us all, and answers to prayers must work through us. IMHO, it does not fall out of the sky.

And the true miracles are done by people, following their hearts, and not through supernatural events.

--edit--

Oh. I see that LD beat me to it.

Prayers are basically wishes, and as we all know, most wishes don't come true if you don't do anything about them. So-called "miracles" happen when people follow through on their desires and work hard to get the good job, good grades, go to the doctor and get surgery for whatever ails them, etc.

The old axiom "god helps those who help themselves" might as well be "people help themselves."

Prayers are basically wishes, and as we all know, most wishes don't come true if you don't do anything about them.  So-called "miracles" happen when people follow through on their desires and work hard to get the good job, good grades, go to the doctor and get surgery for whatever ails them, etc.

The old axiom "god helps those who help themselves" might as well be "people help themselves."

Wishes. That's right. Prayers are wishes, and when they are "fulfilled/answered" then oh-wow-way-cool God answered, but then they don't get answered, it's not God's will.

I was thinking today. If God do good and "evil" deeds in this world, evil in the sense that he lets some thousand people die in a flood, just to give people heads up that someone is in sin somewhere in the world, he's working for the greater good etc, and yet the Devil is doing the same kind of acts. Wouldn't this mean that God is helping the devil, and God can do good or bad, and the Devil only bad, it means 2 out of 3 times things must go bad??? I just wonder... What's the Devils purpose in all this, if God is acting his will by hurting people, for the greater good, that we can't see???

People do miracles when they work through a part of them that is not self centered. It is when we surrender to that which is beyond ourselves, to a Christ nature within that beckons us to a cause greater than our own. The more we give into that Christ nature within, the less there is of our self centered ego. Jesus surrendered into this Christ nature even unto his own death. Without that Christ nature, who would do anything to help others at their own cost? Sure we had it before Jesus, but not at the maturity level he presented, IMHO.

That's my $.02, fwiw. I like you guys, and think many of you have tapped into the Christ nature... even if you have put another label on it. Labels aren't important to me, contents are. We know them by their fruits.

Right.....so the only reason why anyone in the world does anything good is becuase of Christ's example. Is that what your telling us? Hahahahahahahaha

People do miracles when they work through a part of them that is not self centered.

Not necessarily. Let's say someone wants to win the Powerball, so they buy a ticket. Then by chance, they win. You can't tell me someone buys a Powerball ticket out of the goodness of their heart.

Hey, I buy them because I don't want to have to work ever again in my lifetime. Have I won yet? No, but I could. It's possible, but it's extremely rare. But I could never win if I didn't buy a ticket. Now if I somehow won without having a ticket, that would be a miracle.

Now using the other examples. I need to pay the rent, so I looked for work when I got my two-weeks notice at my last job. I called people and went on interviews. And I got a contract job that pays twice as much as my last job because I called the contracting agency. But if I hadn't called, and if I'd sat on my butt, I'd be collecting unemployment or perhaps I'd have taken a lower-paying job. My parents called it a "miracle." I call it "working my butt off."

And the true miracles are done by people, following their hearts, and not through supernatural events.

HanSolo, don't you think it is our nature to NOT do things for anyone but our self interests? I'm just curious to know, when we go beyond our self centered ego, could that be labeled super natural?

FWIW, I think that you have gone beyond natural... so I don't know if you could even answer that question objectively... because super natural has become natural for you, IMO. :shrug:

HanSolo, don't you think it is our nature to NOT do things for anyone but our self interests? I'm just curious to know, when we go beyond our self centered ego, could that be labeled super natural?

I'm not HanSolo, but I would say that acting in a humanitarian manner isn't supernatural, it's human and has nothing to do with god. You may not mean to, but you really demean human beings when you say that we don't have the ability to do something good without a supernatural being forcing us to. Essentially, that would make us puppets and it blows the free will argument out of the water.

Amanda, when you say "christ nature", are you referring to Jesus Christ, or do you see that phrase meaning the good side of people, the side that feels fulfilled when doing something for no other reason than to help another person who needs help?