Goodbye Jesus

Former Christian Friend Became An Atheist/satanist

Guest Justyna

Crazy Donna,

Ummm..what was I doing in this thread that made you turn all "crazy" on me? I was having a peacful conversation with many people and all was fine. Why do you get so offened so quickly and easily? You know how many times I have been called names on this board and did not get offended the way you get offended by me? A lot..is the answer. Learn some patience. And learn to speak normally instead of like an exploding volcano that errupts each time you read something you do not like.

Bottom line is I am not leaving..so if you and (darklady) cant handle that..I suggest the ignore button.

I don't think you read what I wrote last time, so I will say it again, in simple terms,

you came here and called us satanist (again no disrespect to any here)you said anyone who is not a xian is one. You were being self righteous (which means rude). Uncalled for. You are on a EX christian site. Do you know what EX means? IE Not christian.

Then you said you were here to minister to ex xians. I find that provoking. Therefore you started it. I am not going to leave it alone.

Crazy Donna,

I already explained to you how I was not trying to be insulting when I said that my friend became an atheist/satanist. To me the way I was taught..it means the same. The if you are not for God then you are against God. So that was not even an insult. And again I said my friend was this...since he sings in a band that is specifically against Christianity (aka anti-christ) Who is the anti-christ Donna? Satan is. So that is where that came frome. I was not calling all atheists satanists. I was not even calling my friend that. I repedeatly said I dont know since I did not talk to him about religion yet. I just kind of guessed because his lyrics go directly against Jesus/God/Christianity. Most atheists dont go directly against Jesus per se...just sort of stay away from religion altogether.

How about you admit that you misunerstood me instead of calling me a liar etc.

I did not misunderstand you. You tried to make the connection that atheists are satanists because you wanted to offend us and get a reaction. Now you're getting all upset because I've called you on it for the transparent trick that it was. Don't like being caught out, do you? :)

You want to post offensive remarks here, deal with the flack when it comes back. The flack will STOP when you start showing us some respect. You started this thread well, apart from the satanist remark. Suck it up and treat us like human beings.

^^^ This.

You're being inflammatory, we are reacting. You are the primary instigator. We are defending ourselves, in ex christian territory. If you don't want us to react, stop posting things that are obviously intended to produce those reactions. I honestly can't believe some of the rubbish you've written lately, with complete disregard for the feelings and opinions of people on this site. You'd have to be as thick as a brick not to realise the effect some of your remarks would have before you post them.

And this. You simply will not be able to effectively deal with your friend, Justyna, if you see him as a 'lost sheep' rather than as a real person with real feelings. If you talk to him the same way you've been talking to us, I give you odds of 4:1 that you will, in fact, lose that friendship. No one likes to be caricatured, demonized or pitied.

Including us.

Stop it. Now.

Well if they suck then why do they have over 25,000 fans on there? Just saying....anyway, that is not the point.

I was venting - again - yesterday. I do that a lot here; I'm sorry.

Guest Justyna

Here is my suggestion..I have a topic in this thread..if you want to contribute to the discussion feel free to do so. As far as your insults and rude remarks, I really dont care for them. Stay on topic or go start your own thread. I am not going to respond to anyones rude comments when I know they are not true. I am only going to respond if you actually have some advice to give me about my friend and my situation. Though actually I already got a lot of good advice here, and feel I know how to handle this.

As far as "being caught" you are imagining things Donna. I dont try to cause trouble. The fact that I am interesting and controversal is different than someone who causes trouble. I am ending the drama in this thread by asking everyone to please focus on my opening post instead of the none sense that it turned into. So how is that causing trouble? How is that seeking attention? Its not, its being peacful and civil about things, the way we should always be even if we disagree.

Good night folks....must hit the sack now :)

Guest Justyna

Darklady,

This thread is about me and my friend. Not about you or anyone on this board. My friend is in an anti-christian band. If I assume he is an atheist and a satanist from these two points, then that is my choice. It sounds like he is to me. He sings about things that are anti-christ.

This thread is not about you and how you get offened (especially since I was not talking about you) I was talking about my friend who sings in an ANTI-CHRIST band. Please try to stay on topic and stop making it about you. Sounds like the only person who wants attention around here is you. If you dont have any adivce to give me about the topic at hand, consider going to another thread. I am not saying you have to (as I would never do that to you the way you told me to leave)..I just said *consider* it since this thread is about me and my relationship with my friend. Got it? Good.

ETA: And when did I ever call you a satanist? I dont even know you. Sounds like you are taking things a little too personally here. I said my friend MIGHT be one since his lyrics are anti-christ.

Darklady,

This thread is about me and my friend. Not about you or anyone on this board. My friend is in an anti-christian band. If I assume he is an atheist and a satanist from these two points, then that is my choice. It sounds like he is to me. He sings about things that are anti-christ.

This thread is not about you and how you get offened (especially since I was not talking about you) I was talking about my friend who sings in an ANTI-CHRIST band. Please try to stay on topic and stop making it about you. Sounds like the only person who wants attention around here is you. If you dont have any adivce to give me about the topic at hand, consider going to another thread. I am not saying you have to (as I would never do that to you the way you told me to leave)..I just said *consider* it since this thread is about me and my relationship with my friend. Got it? Good.

ETA: And when did I ever call you a satanist? I dont even know you. Sounds like you are taking things a little too personally here. I said my friend MIGHT be one since his lyrics are anti-christ.

I quote "To me a satanist is anyone who is strongly against Jesus "

I expect there are a few people here who are 'stongly against' jesus, who would object to being called a satanist. I am, and I do.

Anythng you say in your thread is up for discussion. If you can't handle it, that is you problem.

Darklady,

I expect there are a few people here who are 'stongly against' jesus, who would object to being called a satanist. I am, and I do.

Anythng you say in your thread is up for discussion. If you can't handle it, that is you problem.

I agree with Darklady.

You don't have any empathy for others. That is why you post things like that so thoughtlessly and then complain that we're overreacting.

If you can't have empathy for us on this site, that doesn't bode well for your relationship with your friend. If you learn anything from being on this site, learn to keep your religious ideology from contaminating your relationships. If you can't avoid it when posting here, what hope have you got when dealing with your friend, in, as Valk puts it, meatspace?

You wrote "I like that...try to understand first before trying to be understood. I definitely feel like my time here on this board has been me trying to get everyone to understand how awesome God is and how He has blessed me etc. My intentions are good, but I guess I need to try to understand more and spend less time trying to be understood. I really do sincreley want to help him (if I can) MORE than I want to preach to him or try to tell him about God etc. Its hard as a Christian to seperate that because I was taught that a person cannot and will not be complete without Christ. So my mind tells me that he needs to give his life to God and that is how he will be able to overcome what he is going through. But I know that if I said something like that, it would ruin everything and get me and (us) no where. I know that is not the approach I need to use. I just need to be a good friend, listen and be supportive, accepting, and non-judgemental."

And earlier I am definitely going to pray for him every night and ask God to show Himself to him. I just wont be in my friends face and will try to be tactful. I also wont mention anything to him about God...just pray secret prayers

How can you be friends with this guy, (or any person, for that matter) if your priority is to pray for them every night to become a christian? You can't do that, and respect them and their point of view, if you're so intent on changing their point of view to agree with them. Forget about them going to hell for a moment (although that's a whole other kettle of fish that I'll get into later) and just look at that for a second. You want to be their friend, and treat them as an equal, but you are so fundamentally unable to accept their point of view as legitimate, and possibly RIGHT, that you are intent on changing it, because you believe unequivocally that you are correct. There can be no common ground with someone like that. Furthermore, you seek to conceal this from him, on one hand pretending to be his friend by putting up this artificial persona so that you don't alienate him, and using covert means to change his mind (under the false impression that prayers to god will achieve this). Do you see how wrong this is? You can't be friends with someone whose beliefs you value so little. You can't be friends with someone just because you want to manipulate them like that. That isn't friendship.

Your desire to change this person's beliefs will undermine your friendship at al times. It is impossible for you to be supportive of him when you are so against his beliefs. I strongly doubt, given the insular attitude you have demonstrated here, and your lack of respect and compassion for us, that you are capable of having a relationship with this person. Ask yourself honestly, are you only going to be friends with this person so you can win him for jesus? What kind of a friend is that?

I had a friend like that. As soon as she found out I was already a christian (this was years ago) she wanted nothing to do with me. She thought I was a non christian and she was intent on 'saving me', but when I didn't go up for the altar call, she asked me why, and I told her I was already a christian, I just thought she wanted me to go to her church. She has barely spoken to me since, and this was years ago. We had classes together at university and everything. Your friend is going to feel very used and cheap when he finds out your motives, and he WILL find out.

The only way you can be his friend, and be accepted on this site, for that matter, by myself and others, is if you change. But you're too comfortable being judgemental and assuming that your beliefs are the ONLY legitimate beliefs, and that any beliefs that contradict yours are automatically wrong, that you won't change. So you'll sabotage your relationships with him, and your relationships with others on this site, and then have to deal with the consequences.

Finally, Darklady asked you what you were doing on this site. You still, as far as I know, haven't answered her. I think she, and the rest of us, have a right to know what you're doing on this site. I'm on this site because I want to discuss issues that affect me, as an ex christian, and get support when, in other aspects of my life, I don't get a lot of support as an ex christian. I am assuming Darklady wants a similar thing. What do you want? To convert us? To try out conversion techniques on us before you inflict them on other exchristians in your life? To stir up trouble? Kath is our resident pet christian, and she just comes here to talk, not to evangelise. I have NEVER had her try to force a christian perspective on me ever, not on the forums or in chat. She doesn't do that, because she comes here for friendship, not to evangelise. And we strongly respect her for that. If you took a leaf out of her book, you would also get that respect, not just from me, but from a whole bunch of people on this site.

Either you change, or you deal with the flack.

I am definitely going to pray for him every night and ask God to show Himself to him. I just wont be in my friends face and will try to be tactful. I also wont mention anything to him about God...just pray secret prayers :)

If your prayers were to succeed, you would be removing his free will, not to mention imploring the creator of the universe to do your bidding when your friend's apostasy may be part of the Great Plan.

Save your prayers for something useful in case you have the ear of the Almighty.

There are a lot of starving and suffering people in the world. Surely they deserve your thoughts.

OTOH, if you want to do something useful, you could donate your time, money and energy to helping the less fortunate. That would be more consistent with making the world a better place.

I am definitely going to pray for him every night and ask God to show Himself to him. I just wont be in my friends face and will try to be tactful. I also wont mention anything to him about God...just pray secret prayers :)

If your prayers were to succeed, you would be removing his free will, not to mention imploring the creator of the universe to do your bidding when your friend's apostasy may be part of the Great Plan.

Save your prayers for something useful in case you have the ear of the Almighty.

There are a lot of starving and suffering people in the world. Surely they deserve your thoughts.

OTOH, if you want to do something useful, you could donate your time, money and energy to helping the less fortunate. That would be more consistent with making the world a better place.

This, all of it.

Yeah but its difficult as a Christian because I know my first goal/purpose in life is to serve Christ..not necessarily be nice to everyone and try to please them and make them like me etc. So that is where my conflict comes into play. But at the same time I know that if I go about it the wrong way, it could ruin the friendship etc. Its kind of a fine line but I think it can be done. I CAN serve Christ by being his friend and showing my friend love and acceptance..afterall Christ would like that.

Do you by any chance not read what you write? This is such self-righteous shit. :banghead:

Justyna's attitude is similar to that of the Inquisition. What is a person, or their feelings or their very life in comparison to "serving Christ"? And if serving Christ means doing something harmful to real people, so be it. Right?

It would be better to see a good life as the goal, and helping others as a means to achieving it for all.

Did he become an atheist or a satanist? I find them a bit mutually exclusive. It's like becoming an atheist and a Muslim. :scratch:

Not really.

Genuine "Satanism" (not the made-up shit you see on TV) is nothing more than over-the-top atheism, an absurdity juxtaposed with another absurdity to illuminate the absurdity.

Think of it of as satire or parody.

I dont understand this hate.

Maybe I can help a little bit? Some people get tired of other people stuffing their beliefs down their throats. Like those,who grow up in xtian families,f.e.

p.s.

Oh,and actually you can be both an atheist and a satanist,at least in LaVeyan sense of the word

Some observations if I may:

Hahha..yeah they do have a website. Here it is.

http://www.anakefr.com/

ana kefr: I think it means "I am infidel" in arabic or something like that.

(Justnya)

(A word to the wise)

The word "Kefr" indeed means "Infidel" in Arabic. However, firstly, it is a word used by Arabic speaking Muslims to describe someone who is not a Muslim. Some such Muslims, if they were speaking of you personally, (or speaking of your beliefs), would use the word to describe you. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, in South African English and in the Afrikaans language, as well as in Africa generally, the word "Kaffir" (derived as you see from Arabic) has the same pejorative meaning as the word "Nigger" has in the US. That is to say, if you use that word outside of its original meaning, especially in Africa, then be warned you are using a term that can be extremely offensive.

Indeed, in South Africa it has been actionable in the courts since 1978 on the general legal principle of Crimen Injuria. This situation came about because the Portuguese and later English and Dutch settlers mistook (and/or deliberately misused) the term which they had learned from Arabic speaking traders in reference to the native peoples. I mention this in case your friend, on being apprised of it, might wish to change the band's name, unless he (or the band) is being willfully ignorant.

As to Satanism, there are different types of that, as has been pointed out earlier. Classical Satanism however, derives from, of all things, a belief in Jesus Christ. If you will look in the gospel of Matthew, you'll find there the story of the Temptation in The Wilderness. That's Matthew 4, verses 1 to 11, as you would know, but in particular verses 8 and 9:

8Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

(KJV)

Which verses some Christians took in later times to mean that the offer still stood, if not to their (presumably erstwhile) Master, then to they themselves, whereupon they took to worshiping Satan. As you might now understand, this does not mean mere disbelief in Christ, because, if you don't believe in Christ, (or at least in the Christian idea of God), might you not ask how it is possible to believe in Satan being as powerful as he there appears to be? You might just as well, as others have said, sell your soul to the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or Father Christmas.

For what it's worth, I myself believe it is certainly possible to "Sell your soul to the Devil", but not in the sense in which fanatical Christians would use the phrase. For me, the phrase might legitimately be used to describe what someone does when they show that they will do anything, no matter how low they sink in doing that thing, to fulfill some selfish desire of theirs. I might here suggest that if your friend were of that sort, you would certainly know of it by now, and I might further suggest that if he were of that sort, there would be little you, (or anyone else) could say or do to cause him to mend his ways.

Again, merely choosing not to believe in Christ and/or God, and/or writing lyrics which insult Christianity, doesn't quite cut the mustard in my book. I myself can, and I do, make jokes about their God and their beliefs that many Christians would find at least somewhat offensive, but yet again, that is not the same thing; one's actions, after all, speak louder than one's words, do they not? Meaning in sum, that if it were me, I should address your friends actions, rather than his beliefs (or lack of same).

Casey

Checkmate,

Thanks for your advice.

I think I am at peace....I wouldnt say I am tied up in knots or anything like that. I love having a relationship with Jesus, it fuels me and gives me life. Im not at peace finding out that my friend might be going through a hard time of deconversion etc. That worries me, but that is about it.

I hope I can get past my "need to save him." Its so hard though when I read some of the lyrics. Im not going to say anything to him, but you never know...I might be the one Christian that God uses to change his mind. As a Christian, I feel that all the time. I am never apart from that. I know that God can use me at anytime to reach any person..its always on my mind. Like I said, I am not going to say anything to my friend, but if he opens the door and invites me in...then I might say something on the matter of God.

Its weird cause I might feel the need to lead him back, while he might feel the need to show me that Christianity is wrong. So we are sort of the same. Im not sure this is true on his part, only time will tell at the point.

You claim to NOT be "tied up in knots", yet this very post demonstrates how very "knotted up" you are. Hell, you're very presence on this forum demonstrates how knotted up you are. I know you can't/won't see it this way. That's how cognitive dissonance works. What should be obvious to the ordered mind is overlooked for a more favorable perspective.

Allow me to be brief, as I don't want you to feel as though you were under assault from all fronts.

Your friend is going through some changes. These changes, according to HIM, are GOOD things. HE is happy now. But rather than be HAPPY for him you've decided to see this as disastrous. YOU think he's mistaken, lost and hurting. YOU believe he needs to be saved from himself, or from Satan. Or some such nonsense. You see your father this way. You see US this way. Never mind what WE say. YOU'VE decided that WE are messed up and in need of YOUR special help/care. Ergo: YOU can't be at peace with us and our existence. YOU believe that YOU need to do something about us.

Sounds like you're "knotted up" to me, kid.

I've got news for you: You're not the savior of the world and NO ONE is asking you to "save us."

Your friend is a grown person. I don't know how old either of you are, but I'm betting you're at least 18. He's free to make his own decisions. Right or wrong. Just like you. Allow him to live his life and walk his path, JUST LIKE YOU. He says that he's happy now. He's found his place in this crazy world. Why can't you simply be happy FOR him? Why do you constantly couch your terms of him in the NEGATIVE? As if he's done something wrong? Would you care for that if he were to do that to you? Notice how YOU can't understand how WE see you and YOUR faith. YOU think your faith is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think you're a deluded human in need of mental help. Who is right here? You or me?

Answer: YOU! It's YOUR life. Live it as YOU see fit. I don't give a damn. I may not like your religion, but I'm not laboring for one second over how screwed up you are. I don't care AND I accept you at your word. You claim that being a Christian is right and good FOR YOU? Okay. Fine. Have a nice life.

But it's not right for me. Nor others. And NOT for your friend. Just let it go and let him live. He's happy. Let him BE happy and share his happiness with him.

Or keep beating yourself up with needless fear and worry, praying until your knees bleed, rending your mohair shirt, until your make-believe sky daddy can save the wicked sinner's soul and make his heart as "peaceful" as YOURS.

[You still can't see how THIS doesn't sound like "peace", can you? Classic cognitive dissonance. :lmao: ]

Its not that I am going to change my views

Why is that,btw?

Yeah but its difficult as a Christian because I know my first goal/purpose in life is to serve Christ..not necessarily be nice to everyone and try to please them and make them like me etc. So that is where my conflict comes into play. But at the same time I know that if I go about it the wrong way, it could ruin the friendship etc. Its kind of a fine line but I think it can be done. I CAN serve Christ by being his friend and showing my friend love and acceptance..afterall Christ would like that.

I think you're spot on. If supportive connection is possible between you two, this is a realistic way of looking at it.

Remember that we lead and guide and influence the hearts of others by example more than by "direct" means, which are really just forceful and don't tend to result in any kind of honest transformation of the heart. And even in leading by example, you have no control over what and how he learns from you as an autonomous adult. The best you can do is be your best person and listen and love.

Phanta

I was not trying to be insulting when I said that my friend became an atheist/satanist. To me the way I was taught..it means the same. The if you are not for God then you are against God. So that was not even an insult. And again I said my friend was this...since he sings in a band that is specifically against Christianity (aka anti-christ) Who is the anti-christ Donna? Satan is. So that is where that came frome. I was not calling all atheists satanists. I was refering to my friend. I was not even calling my friend that. I repedeatly said I dont know since I did not talk to him about religion yet. I just kind of guessed because his lyrics go directly against Jesus/God/Christianity. Most atheists dont go directly against Jesus per se...just sort of stay away from religion altogether.

It sound like you're struggling with some dissonance around lessons you've internalized about non-Christians and your experience with and love for your friend. You have identified is a conflict between your belief and some real-life evidence, and are trying to resolve the two and grow to a higher understanding of both your own faith and the faiths of others. You are open to advice right now, and will integrate the advice that you decide best supports both your goal of loving your friend and your own spiritual integrity. This means you may not take everyone's advice, but, right now, you are open to listening to all advice and trying some ideas out. Finally, you are prepared to practice matching your behavior to your new understanding of what works best in this situation, whatever that is. You understand the delicate situation between yourself and your loved one may mean close connection or connection without lots of conflict is not possible, but you are willing to take it one day at a time, due to how much you love him.

Is that right?

Phanta

Darklady,

This thread is about me and my friend. [Me. Me. ME ME ME. Hey, Everybody, Look at MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!]

I agree with Darklady.

You don't have any empathy for others. That is why you post things like that so thoughtlessly and then complain that we're overreacting. ...

How can you be friends with this guy, (or any person, for that matter) if your priority is to pray for them every night to become a christian? You can't do that, and respect them and their point of view, if you're so intent on changing their point of view to agree with them. ...

Either you change, or you deal with the flack.

I also agree with Darklady ... and Crazy Donna and Lunaticheathen. (I've used up my daily allotment of positive votes for comments by the three of you.)

I still don't trust Justyna after all her initial rudeness on this site.

But, maybe she's not lying entirely. Maybe she really is trying to become more of a real human being and less of an obnoxious christbot. And maybe, just maybe she can succeed if she can get over herself, stop being so passive-aggressive, and develop some sense of empathy.

I notice that a lot of True Christians™ are similarly self-centered, but we all know that people can change and grow. So, for now, I'm going to back off and just read without commenting to Justyna directly until we see where she goes. Either she'll show us that she really is trying to stop being a jerk be a better person or she'll hang herself with her own words.

Very true. God is not a vending machine. Justyna can't just be praying for other people and expect results. She can't test God like that.

She's not righteous enough, at least not like Abraham.

Fiddling Around..

Thanks for your advice..very helpful indeed. I see your point that not all atheists are satanists. That was what I sort of thought, but I know his soul and he is a very very nice and accepting open person. I really like him a lot as a person and have a ton of respect for him. I guess I am just going to keep God out of it, unless he wants to bring it up first. Then if he does, I will just love on him :)

Who says that christians can't be good friends?

Justyna, I'm curious what the actual "anti-god" / "anti-christ" comments are that your friend has made or written in his lyrics. The reason I ask is because it's possible that what sounds to you like hatred of god may actually be irritation at man's concept of god. In other words, instead of a false atheist who's angry with a god he actually believes in, he may very well truly be an atheist and not believe in god at all. He may just be having a bitter time while having come to the realization that he'd been fed a lie for most of his life, which is something that many of us ex-christians can identify with. On the other hand, it is possible that he's more of a god-hater, but I do wonder.

As far as the satanist thing, as others have pointed out, a true atheist cannot be a true satanist, because atheists don't believe in satan. People who really do "worship satan" are quite odd, in my book. That being said, I think that a lot of people who call themselves "satanists" don't really worship a satan that they believe in, but rather are just making a mockery of religion.

Also, regarding your comment that you'll pray for god to show himself to your friend, do you really believe that your god is too shallow and inconsiderate of your friend to help him without you begging him to do so? Does your god not give a rat's rump for him and refuse to lift a finger for him unless someone else pleads for him? I mean, come on now, don't you see how ridiculous that whole scenario is?

Sounds to me like he's in his anger phase where he's just realized Christianity is a lie, and he's pissed off about all the time he's wasted believing in it. He'll progress through it and stop being so vocal about it.

Just continue being their friend and focus on what makes them your friends, and leave religion out of it.