Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

A fb fundie friends status stated "we got a move oin date! July 18 we will be in our new home!" (Side note: they are military and just moved to a new post and were pit on the waiting list for housing. Were told it could be up to 3 months wait)

The comments are what are making me roll my eyes: "praise the lord" "our prayers were answered""answered prayers"

Yes because somehow getting a house after putting your name on a waiting list and then your name comes up and you get a house, is because you prayed. Not because that's just the way it works and obviously went faster then expected.

If they had not prayed, they would be praising the lord for blessing them. And if they did pray, they praise the lord for answering the prayer.

Do they not see how crazy that is?

Where exactly do you live if you have to wait three months to live on base? I mean it isn't like they ask you to go to a new post? I honestly have no idea how that works, but I know jesus didn't come on down and strong arm his way to a house for them. Sounds like their alarmist attitude allowed them to falsly claim victory for their assumption and fantasy.

Gall- the waiting lists to live on post are notoriously long. Everyone wants to live on post because its so much cheaper then living off post. Hence the projected 3 month wait. That is normal. They try to get people coming in a house quicker then someone who is already there living off post and just wants to move on post but it doesn't always work that way.

Either way their getting a house now was certainly not the result of praying or anything Jesus did or did not do.

This picture

10441906_10152244321437730_2660377650659

Cus it's just that simple... right?

A white adult.

A white, priveledged adult born into an upper-middle-class family in a wealthy first-world country.

The african babies can fuck themselves.

You know, I am a white adult. I pay for all these things minus the birth control because I don't think it would do my system well...

I come from a poor family, my parents struggled just to have food sometimes.

I am not rich by any means and being white has nothing to do with someones ability to take responsibility for their actions and desires.

While I feel that this sort of picture goes a long way to making people hate people for some reason I don't see why someone taking responsibility for themselves which is what the message seems to imply is bad?

If I have missed something in this other than the really cheesy looking middle aged lady with the fake smile please let me know. Not sure I am seeing it the way the posting party intended and don't want to miss the joke if there is one smile.png

Okay, gall, if you want, lemme break it down wink.png :

Hop through the looking glass for a minute with me. Bottom line here is that I don't see this facebook post as being about "people taking responsibility" it's about said smarmy people with cheesy fake smiles avoiding theirs, and basically taking a dump on the rest of us, as well as hamstringing their own future. It's about the cultural complex of beliefs that underlie these statements. We all have some sort of privelege, and this ad wilfully ignores it to the tune of a lot of hypocrisy and disingenuous statements.

First, here's a delightful zoomable graphic, courtesy of the webcomic XKCD, meticulously researched, and actually entertaining, about money (ALL the money, ever, which is really cool), so you can see what the problem is, here. Especially note the proportional incomes, cost of living, and change over time - they've nicely adjusted everything for inflation! whoo hoo!

Own mortgage - 'cause we're all rich enough to afford our own houses, right? ... oh wait, we're not. I'm certainly not. This is a blatant scare tactic, and frankly making it sound like everyone wants a free house, which isn't true, as we'll get to later. And these are often the same asshats who want to cut funding for public housing... *facepalm* Where's the magic housing going to come from? Fall from the sky?? Oh, and they're probably the same types who want to prosecute the homeless, too. "Can't they just use a shelter?" You mean, the Christian one, with all the indoctrination, because they don't want to fund public soup kitchens, etc, either?? Yeah. I work a job where I deal with a lot of homeless teenagers. A lot of whom were thrown out of their homes for not conforming to their parents' overly-religious beliefs, in some way. It's incredibly depressing, these kids have nowhere to go. This sort of facetious statement about mortgages just kind of underscores the privelege and ignorance on display, here. Maybe some people don't want to buy their own house, actually, they just want shelter or safety. This simple fact doesn't seem to cross smarmy lady's mind, here.

Birth control - so, this dovetails nicely with the housing and public funding crises, as well as healthcare. Less people, less housing expenditures, less stress on families, to try to pay for the most expensive mistake you can possibly have, a baby. Condoms and the pill, by comparison? Absurdly cheap. Please take my money to fund birth control, America! Please! I'll throw a heap of taxes at you, right now! Think of the savings! If you want to save America tax money, this is clearly a brilliant way to do it, and so easy! It might not have crossed your mind if you're a dude, but being female and sexually active is like gambling, but instead of winning a lot of money, you stand to lose a hell of a lot, you're gambling with your future, your dreams, and your life, ultimately. Did you know that, statistically, in the USA alone (we're not talking worldwide, then it becomes the leading cause of death for women) for a woman in my age bracket, pregnancy complications is the 6th leading cause of death? (2010 causes of death by age and sex from the Centers for Disease Control. Page 25, so you'll have to scroll a bit. Yay, statistics!) Yeah. Pregnancy: it'll jack you up, female mammal. Oh, and there's a lot of medical costs there too. Life before birth control? Baby farmers: infanticide for fun and profit. Birth control saves both lives and public money.

College loans - Now, it's Personal. I went to college on financial aid. I'm able to make coherent arguments, and exercise critical thinking skills, and know what the hell I'm voting on, because of publically funded education. When you live in a democracy, and everyone gets to vote, it isn't just a luxury, it's essential, that the citizenry is well-educated, and capable of solid reasoning skills. We ultimately determine public policy: you know, that's how this democracy stuff works. It seriously terrifies me for the future of this country, how little public education is valued. It would be... nice if people could put the Ukraine on a F-ing map, for the love of crud! The "breadbasket of Europe" is kind of hard to miss, unlike, say, more obscure states like Tuvalu. Note that Tuvalu doesn't have a war going on that could result in WW III. Good gravy, these people VOTE. They don't know what they're even discussing, or the complex socio-political history behind it, but they're going to vote people in to represent them on the issue in total ignorance anyway. We NEED a better educated population: it goes hand in hand with that "We the People" stuff. It's a matter of the USA's survival. This is precisely what makes me highly suspicious of people who are against college loan funding: who are they trying to keep ignorant and pliable, and why? This is pretty sinister, toxic stuff, actually.

Food - Really? I don't even know what to say here. I guess all those surplus children because of no birth control funding are just going to have to starve. This kind of strikes at the heart of the issue: what is her alternative here? I mean, really. Complain about something, but I do want to see a workable suggestion about a course of action.

Cell phones - What? Why cell phones? They're surprisingly cheap these days, especially with a pre-paid plan like I've got. My phone is an ancient piece of crud, but it's MY ancient piece of crud. Technology marches on! My only guess here is that this is a dog whistle for insane rich people offended that homeless people or people living in housing projects have cell phones. I hate to break it to them, but a cell phone is pretty much a necessity, these days. I'd much rather everyone have a cell phone for emergencies and be able to intervene before it costs even more public money for emergency response (EMTs and cops aren't cheap) and/or to clean up the crime scene afterwards.

"This isn't because I'm Conservative. It's because I'm an Adult"

*my brain afire in rage at this person's facetious, facile ignorance* The smug knife-in-back smile she has really doesn't help her case, either. It's one of those non-smiles that have too much teeth and not enough happiness, like she just kind of peeled her upper lip back for the occasion.

It's not about catchphrases, or something that sounds good. I'm all for responsibility, but, as outlined above, when it comes to saving tax money, I don't think the course she outlines here would actually work, and it's a frankly irresponsible course of action. That's the thing. It comes off as incredibly selfish, actually. She's never heard a conversation between a couple who had been in a car wreck, and the lady was pregnant, and they didn't want an ambulance, to see if she was OK, becase it would cost $90 more than they had. How much is the human cost here? How much will the medical bill be, if there is a problem with the child and/or the mother? Yeah, smug smiling white lady doesn't think about that, but has the supreme arrogance to try to claim the moral high ground, and even bray like a jackass about responsibility while promoting a course that will probably do exactly none of the things she claims to champion. That's why, from where I stand, I find the graphic infuriating.

(Whoa, that got rant-y.) Anyway, I thought I'd just try to explain why someone might be pretty offended by the facebook post. I know it can be hard to understand, unless it's bluntly laid out like that. As a postscript, what I did with the college education I got loans for? A public service job. Responsibility is giving back to those who support you, and the community. Ultimately, it's the pragmatic option. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, after all.

• Like 8

A fb fundie friends status stated "we got a move in date! July 18 we will be in our new home!" (Side note: they are military and just moved to a new post and were pit on the waiting list for housing. Were told it could be up to 3 months wait)

The comments are what are making me roll my eyes: "praise the lord" "our prayers were answered""answered prayers"

Yes because somehow getting a house after putting your name on a waiting list and then your name comes up and you get a house, is because you prayed. Not because that's just the way it works and obviously went faster then expected.

If they had not prayed, they would be praising the lord for blessing them. And if they did pray, they praise the lord for answering the prayer.

Do they not see how crazy that is?

1) We got right in! They said it mighta been up to 3 months but it only took a week. Praise Jebus!

2) They said it would take 3 months but it's been damned near a year! God is giving us patience! Praise Jebus!

• Like 2

I have 2. One was technically on a church sign I saw but hey it was terrible so should count. ;)

1. The above mentioned sign stated "without the bread of life we are all toast"

Way to couch the fact that you believe everyone is going to burn in hell for eternity in a nice fluffy saying.

2. Reposted by a friend from Joel osteens page

"When you choose faith instead of fear, it activates gods power"

Blech way to leave it all up to the person to get gods help. Apparently if I'm not faithful enough God just wont help me.

• Super Moderator

Mom is already giving god the praise and thanks that she will get so see Redneck Jr. this weekend.  WTF?  It's not like jesus is the one who's going to drive him up there!

Well if you pray hard enough with enough faith he just might *poof* him there for you and save you the driving time. ;)

Thank you all, for reminding me why I deleted my Facebook account several years ago,

• Like 2

10463916_1445298739055512_90554375817763ll

lmao XD

• Like 5

• Super Moderator

Thank you all, for reminding me why I deleted my Facebook account several years ago,

...and in avoiding the temptation to sign up for Facebook no matter how much my relatives push me!

heres the latest from a friend of mine that im seriously considering blocking her feed.

it was posted with the caption, "THIS"

10519178_833680036644172_513054452511988

yeah because that always worked so well.

The only reason I am still on it is that I don't hesitate to block stuff that is really offensive, and I use Facebook Fluff Busting Purity!

The only reason I am still on it is that I don't hesitate to block stuff that is really offensive, and I use Facebook Fluff Busting Purity!

My peeps seem to share crap from the same liked pages on a regular basis ... until I 'hide all posts ' by that particular page. It makes a lot of stuff go away.

Lies.jpg

I saw this lovely thing today. BARF. ^^^

Today my creationist cousin tagged me and a bunch of other people in a link to an Answers from Genesis (red flashing light alert) article about why God allows suffering. I read it. The author was a doctor who left doctoring(?) to become a full time creationist ministries guy. Obviously this guy knows a lot about science.  

The article had a rather simplistic and incomplete understanding of evolution (as molecules "somehow" coming together to make organisms). It also presented the problem of morality from evolution and (of course) took a Biblical literalist position. 

I prepared a nice little response about how the author left out the idea that perhaps the creation stories were mythology and that the author didn't cause me to trust his authority on evolution. After my boyfriend convinced me that it would probably create a fuckload of drama within my creationist family and that they would not listen to what I was saying anyways, I decided not to post it and merely untagged myself. My creationist family piled on the likes. Then my cousin liked the Creation Museum's page. screams.gif

attachicon.gifLies.jpg

I saw this lovely thing today. BARF. ^^^

Today my creationist cousin tagged me and a bunch of other people in a link to an Answers from Genesis (red flashing light alert) article about why God allows suffering. I read it. The author was a doctor who left doctoring(?) to become a full time creationist ministries guy. Obviously this guy knows a lot about science.  

The article had a rather simplistic and incomplete understanding of evolution (as molecules "somehow" coming together to make organisms). It also presented the problem of morality from evolution and (of course) took a Biblical literalist position. 

I prepared a nice little response about how the author left out the idea that perhaps the creation stories were mythology and that the author didn't cause me to trust his authority on evolution. After my boyfriend convinced me that it would probably create a fuckload of drama within my creationist family and that they would not listen to what I was saying anyways, I decided not to post it and merely untagged myself. My creationist family piled on the likes. Then my cousin liked the Creation Museum's page. screams.gif

Morality?

Even as a christian they must understand that their "morality" has EVOLVED over time. They don't live like their ancient ancestors did and accept things moraly they never would have. Hell they would have been burned for a lot of it that is totall ok today in their eyes.

It seems my lot in life is to always notice hypocracy and I wish it wasn't. I am really tired of seeing it. I feel like i am about to go howard hughes on this world minus the pee in jars and the overwhelming fear of germs...

http://www.godvine.com/read/A-3rd-Grader-Shocked-His-Entire-School-With-His-Assignment-About-God-fb-gv-607.html

OMG...just YUCK...

And all the people calling this little poor guy a smart boy...when in fact he is just heavily indoctrinated. Makes my heart bleed. But there is no point in having a debate because this person didn't share it...only liked it on facebook and it has more than 1000 comments already...

:'(

And all the people calling this little poor guy a smart boy...when in fact he is just heavily indoctrinated.

Or perhaps coached. (If the story is true at all. I've heard enough "true" stories from Christian sources to have my suspicions.) I hope he never sees that article on-line, because the Buybull verse they tacked onto the end would turn him from merely ignorant into a bigot.

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/PhilipYancey/posts/793016114076207

Status update by xian author Philip Yancey:

After two weeks of studying the Bible, I had a strong sense that God doesn’t care so much about being analyzed. Mainly, he wants to be loved. (Disappointed With God/p.57-58)

Some of the comments:

I think love is key because it enable us to understand..Trying to analyse just raise up questions and more question that ends in loosing faith.

I find wanting an explanation for everything and trying to understand fully everything in the bible gets in the way of just loving God and excepting His word without always understanding

10423984_10152495697824407_3476868953724

....Well then maybe you'd realise just what is inside that 'holy' book?

• Like 3

1969413_10152623801167384_43988598024299

How convenient.

heres the latest from a friend of mine that im seriously considering blocking her feed.

it was posted with the caption, "THIS"

10519178_833680036644172_513054452511988

yeah because that always worked so well.

Not only wrong. Also an eye sore; looking at it makes me feel somewhat dizzy.

1969413_10152623801167384_43988598024299

How convenient.

There's that "always" word again.  If you mess up that one time and don't pray the right prayer and really, really, mean it, then die, you're pretty much screwed.  (there really should be an * on this picture after "always").

This is from Patricia King. I think it's an attempt at a good idea: to recognize that your reactions to things are functions of your attitudes towards them.  Marcus Aurelius, the Stoic emperor, wrote about that.  

For those of us who no longer believe in God, what do we put in place of the "I do not fear because God is with me" idea?

Here's the quotation:

"The Lord has been speaking to me about "fear reactions". I have been sharing with my staff in our morning prayer meetings about this the last few days. Sometimes I react to situations in fear as a first response rather than faith.

God is greater than anything we face. He is greater than the manifestation of sin in the earth...He is greater than any rebellious loved one's behavior...He is greater than any devastating news we might receive.

If we respond in faith rather than fear when hard situations are in our midst, no matter what they are, it will keep us in the grace of God and we will see His breakthroughs.

Worry, stress, negativity, and anxiety (manifestations of fear) have never produced the victorious results we are looking for.

I prayed for a mom the other day who was so worried about her wayward son... I simply said, "God is greater than your son's rebellion and if you believe in the greatness of God 's love and power with full assurance that your son's wickedness is no match for God's righteousness, then you will see kingdom intervention." A spirit of faith filled the atmosphere and hope filled her.

God is great and greatly to be praised.

Lord, help us to "only" believe!

We repent from fear responses -- fill us with a fresh measure of faith Lord."

I wonder what's going on in the household of the "mom," what the "wayward son" has actually done, and what will actually change. But that's another topic from how to face the fear reaction.

10157139_819342658093038_2092137131_n.jp

So you don't even have to go to church now… wow… being a christian just gets easier and easier. So all those guys who go fishing or play golf on Sunday - they are really just good christians?

Wait… what about keeping the sabbath? (or spending it with the family? IDK  family values?)

post-21332-0-78185300-1405715205_thumb.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not heard of her well being since I have not seen her in years...when I saw her last she was battling breast cancer and not willing to get her breast amputated. Instead she trusted her God who told her to heal her and some alternative therapy with high dosage vitamin C and other stuff...

And while she might have gotten a longer live in less pain (though she is not that young anymore but not at the age of dying either) with only one breast she decided to hold on to an imaginary friend's promise...sigh.

At her funeral people will muse about why God did not follow through with his promise...

I hope people won't just shrug it off with the usual God works in mysterious ways and all the other excuses but start to raise some deeper questions about how that could be.

This is just sad sad.png