Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

Just saw this on my friend's feed....

As most of you know, we came home from church last night to find our home on fire. It was a complete loss but I am so thankful to say XXX, the boys & myself are all safe. We had the chance today to view the true destruction this fire caused to everything we owned. It is devastating but I cannot help but praise God for his hand of protection on our family. Had we not stopped at the store first on the way home we would have been inside the house when it occurred.

I find this situation tragically ironic.. They were AT CHURCH when it happened. So they're going to THANK GOD for not protecting their home when they were at church and pretend that the fact that they went to the store was divine intervention. *sigh*

10423984_10152495697824407_3476868953724

....Well then maybe you'd realise just what is inside that 'holy' book?

"Turn to it times of emergency"

that seems wise. "oh you are bleeding out? just a minute i have a bible verse for that!!!"

• Like 2

The stuff you have to try to tell yourself.

post-6954-0-85930500-1405730746_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That image made me facepalm.  

10423984_10152495697824407_3476868953724

....Well then maybe you'd realise just what is inside that 'holy' book?

"Turn to it times of emergency"

that seems wise. "oh you are bleeding out? just a minute i have a bible verse for that!!!"

Bible aint got any good apps. I cant listen to music on it. Sooo...to heck with it.

The bible is more up to date than tomorrow's newspaper....do people still read newspapers?

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/PhilipYancey/posts/793016114076207

Status update by xian author Philip Yancey:

After two weeks of studying the Bible, I had a strong sense that God doesn’t care so much about being analyzed. Mainly, he wants to be loved. (Disappointed With God/p.57-58)

Some of the comments:

I think love is key because it enable us to understand..Trying to analyse just raise up questions and more question that ends in loosing faith.

I find wanting an explanation for everything and trying to understand fully everything in the bible gets in the way of just loving God and excepting His word without always understanding

Incredible! And I'm not just talking about their lack of ability to write coherently. So pretty much, who cares what the bible says, it's loving god that matters. Even if the bible is full of cruelty, myths, lies, and exaggerations, the most important thing is to love god. Good grief, we could apply that reasoning to anything else we ever read!

And that poor fool who doesn't want to analyze too much because he'll lose his faith...HELLO!! Shouldn't the inspired holy word of the omniscient god stand up to heavy analysis? If you are afraid of losing your faith if you think about the text too much, maybe it's time to really think about why you believe that text!!

And I find it so funny how the author talks about god's need to be loved. Lots of people do this. Like god is just floating around in his timelessness capsule, just hoping like a lost little puppy that someone will give him a chance and love him. Poor wittle god, he just wants to be loved! UGH!

• Like 3

As most of you know, we came home from church last night to find our home on fire. It was a complete loss but I am so thankful to say XXX, the boys & myself are all safe. We had the chance today to view the true destruction this fire caused to everything we owned. It is devastating but I cannot help but praise God for his hand of protection on our family. Had we not stopped at the store first on the way home we would have been inside the house when it occurred.

I find this situation tragically ironic.. They were AT CHURCH when it happened. So they're going to THANK GOD for not protecting their home when they were at church and pretend that the fact that they went to the store was divine intervention. *sigh*

So what... if they had been home they would have seen it as gods will and just burned up with it, or would they have ran their asses out the door and called 911? What if their house had burned down the neighbors? Is that gods will too?

I pooped yesterday is that gods will too?

• Like 4

So what... if they had been home they would have seen it as gods will and just burned up with it, or would they have ran their asses out the door and called 911? What if their house had burned down the neighbors? Is that gods will too?

I pooped yesterday is that gods will too?

Exactly. Had "God" allowed them to be home instead of wasting time at church, maybe they could have caught it before it spread, and saved the house.

• Like 2

Someone just posted this:

I got a new car today!! Here is me with the dealer!! So blessed!!!

Soooooo.... god blessed them by giving them 5 years of auto loan payments? Am I missing something here?

• Like 2

Just realize with all these posts on FB about loving God that perhaps God has low self-esteem. It's like, "He needs us to love Him. He wants us to love Him." Creepy.

• Like 4

Just realize with all these posts on FB about loving God that perhaps God has low self-esteem. It's like, "He needs us to love Him. He wants us to love Him." Creepy.

I think it's a sales tactic that tries to tap into our human empathy.  There's a sort of implicit promise that if we love him he will love us back.  That's fine if an imaginary relationship is believable I guess.

• Like 1

up to date about what?

technology? no

science? no

morality? no

1620934_10152182751933879_1591484072_n.p

Oh that's just lovely.  Then how come I experienced everything opposite of these things when I did my two years of nightly Bible readings.  My god, the book drove me to a level of insanity, depression, anger, hatred, anxiety, misery and horror I never knew existed.  I literally became insane reading this book and I now know in hindsight that it has driven others to insanity and violence as well.  I now view all Bibles with invisible "warning" labels and take extreme caution with any bible content.  If my mums left an open bible on the counter, which happens frequently, I have to quickly shut it so that I do not upset myself by accidently reading frightening bible passages.   A Christian response was this: "well that just proves how powerful the Bible really is, and that it really came from God" 49.gif  Well so damn what if it's powerful, or if it came from a God or not.  What ought to matter is if it is right or not, and this book is all wrong. 

• Like 2

Being able to post this inane crap on here keeps me from losing it on FB. Thanks everyone! :D

• Like 3

1620934_10152182751933879_1591484072_n.p

Oh that's just lovely.  Then how come I experienced everything opposite of these things when I did my two years of nightly Bible readings.  My god, the book drove me to a level of insanity, depression, anger, hatred, anxiety, misery and horror I never knew existed.  I literally became insane reading this book and I now know in hindsight that it has driven others to insanity and violence as well.  I now view all Bibles with invisible "warning" labels and take extreme caution with any bible content.  If my mums left an open bible on the counter, which happens frequently, I have to quickly shut it so that I do not upset myself by accidently reading frightening bible passages.   A Christian response was this: "well that just proves how powerful the Bible really is, and that it really came from God" 49.gif  Well so damn what if it's powerful, or if it came from a God or not.  What ought to matter is if it is right or not, and this book is all wrong. 

That is because they only read the parts they like, most of them have never read the entire bible!  Even after I did read it, I made excuses for the parts that I didn't agree with etc.  Eventually I couldn't take it anymore.  Cherry picking wasn't working out for me, the lying to myself wasn't working out for me either.  I donated the book to goodwill, I should have tossed it.

UGHHHHHHHHHHH

10446670_10152519057092171_7498743481071

UGHHHHHHHHHHH

Awesome, a marriage where your husband loves his imaginary friend more than you.  That's bound to work out well.

Which was preceded by a childhood and young adulthood where you were owned by your father, the spiritual head of the household, and not encouraged to be an independent self reliant adult like your brother was.

And so the cycle will continue, when you give birth to a girl and raise her in a godly home.

• Like 1

this was posted by my cousin. the poor kid has had a rough life and has been swept up into the Christian religion hoping it will bring her peace. not sure how thats working out as she seems just as bad off as when she started going. but anyway...

Well when I went back to work Friday I got a surprise my boss told me that I got employee of the month!! it was a very nice surprise for me! I could not do it with out god and all of the glory goes to him!! TuG4YchV8kb.pngfeeling blessed.

THIS was one of the things i HATED about xtianity. I could work my butt off to achieve something (say my college degree) and yet when it was all said and done if i said anything about my hard work paying off I would be villified for being prideful and not giving God the glory. but if i did say "glory to God:" too loud and too often then i was being bragadocial about God blessing my life. 1couldnt win and 1couldnt just get a well deserved pat on the back and a congrats on your hard work! because somehow my effort never mattered. UGH. i do NOT miss that at all.

i got to where i am by hard work and only MY hard work. some invisible sky person did not help me get here at all.

AND im back immediately because as i went to close out my facebook THIS was staring me in the face. GAH

https://www.facebook.com/ZolaLevitt/photos/a.116276055076445.7180.105302302840487/705191389518239/?type=1

her caption said: I Stand with God, therefore i stand with Israel!

Wendystop.gifWendytwitch.gifWendybanghead.gifWendyDoh.gif

since deconverting i really have not read enough about the whole israel and palestine thing to have an opinion on the whole thing but sheesh. so if they are wrong, you would continue to stand with them? that makes good sense.

UGHHHHHHHHHHH

This is so wrong.

1. You want your future son-in-law to love some invisible, jealous, control freak voyeur more than your daughter?
  2. You expect your daughter to be cool with this in the year 2014?
  3. You think that your daughter is some piece of property to be given away to some other man?

AND im back immediately because as i went to close out my facebook THIS was staring me in the face. GAH

https://www.facebook.com/ZolaLevitt/photos/a.116276055076445.7180.105302302840487/705191389518239/?type=1

her caption said: I Stand with God, therefore i stand with Israel!

Wendystop.gifWendytwitch.gifWendybanghead.gifWendyDoh.gif

since deconverting i really have not read enough about the whole israel and palestine thing to have an opinion on the whole thing but sheesh. so if they are wrong, you would continue to stand with them? that makes good sense.

This stuff really makes me sick.

In contrast, I have a FB friend who shared this:

10488354_831528500214058_809899202691093

10478200_10152402864599086_3063612568130

10478172_10152377330534086_7568410005416

• Super Moderator

10478200_10152402864599086_3063612568130

10478172_10152377330534086_7568410005416

Lies!!!  All LIES!!!

this was posted by my cousin. the poor kid has had a rough life and has been swept up into the Christian religion hoping it will bring her peace. not sure how thats working out as she seems just as bad off as when she started going. but anyway...

Well when I went back to work Friday I got a surprise my boss told me that I got employee of the month!! it was a very nice surprise for me! I could not do it with out god and all of the glory goes to him!! TuG4YchV8kb.pngfeeling blessed.

THIS was one of the things i HATED about xtianity. I could work my butt off to achieve something (say my college degree) and yet when it was all said and done if i said anything about my hard work paying off I would be villified for being prideful and not giving God the glory. but if i did say "glory to God:" too loud and too often then i was being bragadocial about God blessing my life. 1couldnt win and 1couldnt just get a well deserved pat on the back and a congrats on your hard work! because somehow my effort never mattered. UGH. i do NOT miss that at all.

i got to where i am by hard work and only MY hard work. some invisible sky person did not help me get here at all.

I've actually told people like that not to sell themselves short!