Goodbye Jesus

Just Wondering...

Guest nobodyyouknow

• Super Moderator

The major intent of the opening post was to express what I had observed...

You observe things in our posts and we observe things in your posts. So, what's the point? You must want something other than to just tell us what we already know.

Are you surprised at the attitudes you find here? Do you wish to let us know we have been exposed to the wrong versions of your religion? What do you want from people who obviously disagree with your worldview? Are you seeking for yourself a way out of the cult, or seeking a way to draw some back into it? What????

What do you want from people who obviously disagree with your worldview? Are you seeking for yourself a way out of the cult, or seeking a way to draw some back into it? What???

Whatever the answer is, the answer is Freudian, I'm sure. 

Let's restate the OP shall we?:   Let's pretend I'm a man on an women's abuse survivors website, shall we? Just for context...

"Ok, so I'm reading through some of the threads and I'm thinking ...am I going to be needing to wear a bullet proof vest before I start to post? huh.png"

"Are there many threads that don't include some kind of bashing? Whether thats belittling men, being rude or outright hateful...."

"Do you have any kind of respect for men that post on here? Or are they considered different from the ones that you rant about?"

Reading it out of context it seems.. a bit rude, but almost passable, but put it in context (a safe place for survivors - which this is) it's blatant shaming and manipulation techniques. (Where's Ahkeia?)

So to answer the questions truthfully I will respond.

"Ok, so I'm reading through some of the threads and I'm thinking ...am I going to be needing to wear a bullet proof vest before I start to post? huh.png"

- Yes, this is a safe place and no shaming will be tolerated. You are no exception to ridicule and challenges if you propose ridiculous ideas, try to preach, are rude or otherwise promote your crap here.

"Are there many threads that don't include some kind of bashing? Whether thats belittling christians, being rude or outright hateful...."

- Probably not - because we come here to safely process the HARM that has been done to us through christianity, and to heal, but there may be some that don't though because that's not ALL WE ARE.

"Do you have any kind of respect for christians that post on here? Or are they considered different from the ones that you rant about?"

- We usually treat people pretty much like they treat us regardless of their religious affiliation, but respect because they are christians? Hell no.

Does that offend you? That we might be angry, bitter or hostile to certain ideas and (arrogant) approaches?

ahhh.. I get it now. Confirmation bias.. self-inflicted. Well, I hope you got your superiority fix today at our expense.

Bye now... oh, take your guilt/shame trip and shove it.

Fuck ya I'm bitter.. so what?

• Like 2

To nobody I know

You may have already been told this, I don't know, but I thought I'd ask you this anyway. If you didn't want to start a debate, why create a thread, use strong words directed at us and then make it really, really obvious that you are religious. If you just wan't to chat, why not participate in another forum in something non religious? You could still have the 'authentic Christain believer' sign, no one would expect you to pretend to be non-religious. Isn't that what you wanted?

We wouldn't bite if you don't dangle the bait in front of us!

The major intent of the opening post was to express what I had observed.... and to find out how the ex Christians reacted to Christians on here. Yes, I used some strong words.. there are also some strong words in the threads on here. I was just calling at as I was seeing it. As I said before, I don't think I was totally wrong but maybe I could have worded it better.

So it has taken you 9 pages and however many posts in this thread for you to at last fess up as to why you are here. So why could you not answer those of us who asked why you are here earlier? Maybe you needed to sleep on your answers before you decided which one to use. Yet again another xtian that proves to me why I am an Ex-xtian. You lot can't be trusted. Yet you want none believers to trust your so called god inspired book and you so called saviour. Hope you are feeling proud of yourself?

You have lost any shred of credibility you might had with me. Again this is typical of you lot.

To nobody I know

You may have already been told this, I don't know, but I thought I'd ask you this anyway. If you didn't want to start a debate, why create a thread, use strong words directed at us and then make it really, really obvious that you are religious. If you just wan't to chat, why not participate in another forum in something non religious? You could still have the 'authentic Christain believer' sign, no one would expect you to pretend to be non-religious. Isn't that what you wanted?

The major intent of the opening post was to express what I had observed.... and to find out how the ex Christians reacted to Christians on here. Yes, I used some strong words.. there are also some strong words in the threads on here. I was just calling at as I was seeing it. As I said before, I don't think I was totally wrong but maybe I could have worded it better.

So it has taken you 9 pages and however many posts in this thread for you to at last fess up as to why you are here. So why could you not answer those of us who asked why you are here earlier? Maybe you needed to sleep on your answers before you decided which one to use. Yet again another xtian that proves to me why I am an Ex-xtian. You lot can't be trusted. Yet you want none believers to trust your so called god inspired book and you so called saviour. Hope you are feeling proud of yourself?

You have lost any shred of credibility you might had with me. Again this is typical of you lot.

Hate to break it to you Ross along with the rest of the folks here but I smelled a rat with her very first posting. I guess you can call it 'spiritual discernment' or a very effective 'bullshit meter' but at any rate - they're ALL THE SAME - a bunch of fucking deluded liars. Is it any wonder why I call them sociopathic cultists. Every comment they make, every note they write, every radio and/or TV show I observe regarding them proves it more and more beyond a shadow of a doubt. When Dawkins referred to their cult as a god delusion, he was being very kind in my humble view.

To nobody I know

Nope, you're just another one of those duplicitous liars that wander over here from time to time, spreading their delusionary comments.

Perhaps, but even though her first post was not very long, she still managed to include an awful lot of "trigger" phrases in it. Whether this was done knowingly or unknowingly is impossible to determine. If this was done unknowingly, then it shows that she didn't do enough reading here before she posted.

Yes it was a bad start.  However I think she has made some good calls since then.  I've seen a lot of Christians visit this site.  NYK reminds me of Catholic Kitty.  I think she is a keeper.  I think End3 is slowly coming around to the idea of talking with us about non-religious topics.  That means in nearly a year and a half only 3 Christians would do it.  It's a rare trait.

Don't hold your breath regarding end3 okay? I watched, quietly, with amusement while he was bleating out his sorrows and woes regarding his divorce. Sorry if I sound too skeptical or even acrimonious but with people like him, the end is always the same. I'm just surprised his wife stuck with him as long as she did considering the mental imbalance he exhibited.

To nobody I know

You may have already been told this, I don't know, but I thought I'd ask you this anyway. If you didn't want to start a debate, why create a thread, use strong words directed at us and then make it really, really obvious that you are religious. If you just wan't to chat, why not participate in another forum in something non religious? You could still have the 'authentic Christain believer' sign, no one would expect you to pretend to be non-religious. Isn't that what you wanted?

Hate to break it to you Ross along with the rest of the folks here but I smelled a rat with her very first posting. I guess you can call it 'spiritual discernment' or a very effective 'bullshit meter' but at any rate - they're ALL THE SAME - a bunch of fucking deluded liars. Is it any wonder why I call them sociopathic cultists. Every comment they make, every note they write, every radio and/or TV show I observe regarding them proves it more and more beyond a shadow of a doubt. When Dawkins referred to their cult as a god delusion, he was being very kind in my humble view.

Yep they always get found out in the end.

I shall not be as harsh on her when she returns in a few years time and tells us she is now an ex-xtian.

I work in a service station. The other day I served this nice old lady who chatted to me about the weather and seemed genuinely interested in how my day was going. Then she suddenly whipped out this dvd and tried to give it to me. It was about the 'lies of evolution'. It's a depressingly predictable story; harmless chit chat, maybe form some relationships.. but one day the dvd always comes out. Always.

I work in a service station. The other day I served this nice old lady who chatted to me about the weather and seemed genuinely interested in how my day was going. Then she suddenly whipped out this dvd and tried to give it to me. It was about the 'lies of evolution'. It's a depressingly predictable story; harmless chit chat, maybe form some relationships.. but one day the dvd always comes out. Always.

The Great Commission is their prime directive. Make more Christians.

I am glad I don't feel compelled to sell Jesus anymore. I always felt icky when I was afraid to talk to people about Jesus. But not as icky as actually pitching Jesus to someone. I no longer feel that ick.

• Like 2

The Great Commission is their prime directive. Make more Christians.

I am glad I don't feel compelled to sell Jesus anymore. I always felt icky when I was afraid to talk to people about Jesus. But not as icky as actually pitching Jesus to someone. I no longer feel that ick.

That was one of my favorite things about losing my belief, too. I hated being made to feel guilty because I didn't witness to everyone I met. Now that I'm a nonbeliever, I don't feel like there's some reason to sell others on my new mindset. I can just be.

• Like 2

Does the hypothesis of a 6000 year old earth really provide the basis for the geological research and exploration needed to find the oil that's refined into the gasoline she was buying?  bwa ha ha

Is it over yet? LeslieLook.gif 

Is she gone?  WendyDoh.gif

Can I come back out now? yellow.gif

To nobody I know

You may have already been told this, I don't know, but I thought I'd ask you this anyway. If you didn't want to start a debate, why create a thread, use strong words directed at us and then make it really, really obvious that you are religious. If you just wan't to chat, why not participate in another forum in something non religious? You could still have the 'authentic Christain believer' sign, no one would expect you to pretend to be non-religious. Isn't that what you wanted?

Yep they always get found out in the end.

I shall not be as harsh on her when she returns in a few years time and tells us she is now an ex-xtian.

I don't get it.  Did she say she was leaving?  Did she admit she only came to witness?  Sometimes Christians come here when they are about to deconvert and they are just not quite there yet.

I don't get it.  Did she say she was leaving?  Did she admit she only came to witness?  Sometimes Christians come here when they are about to deconvert and they are just not quite there yet.

I can't help but wonder if part of her motivation for coming here is to see what went "wrong" with us, so that she can try to rekindle her faith and keep herself from following the same path. It's as much a possibility as anything else considering what little we have to go on.

I can't help but wonder if part of her motivation for coming here is to see what went "wrong" with us, so that she can try to rekindle her faith and keep herself from following the same path. It's as much a possibility as anything else considering what little we have to go on.

I'm sure she is just as human as the rest of us.  I'm saying she is no Thumbellina, no JayL, no xino and she is certainly no OrdinaryClay.  I particularly admire NYK's statement that she will not defend the bad stuff.

I'm sure she is just as human as the rest of us.  I'm saying she is no Thumbellina, no JayL, no xino and she is certainly no OrdinaryClay.  I particularly admire NYK's statement that she will not defend the bad stuff.

True. The lack of apologetic tap dancing is different from our normal experience with Christian trolls.

Guest MadameX

I'm here to meet some people. Get to know some people. Ask some questions (obviously)

Hi there. You can read my 'About Me' if you want to get an idea of who I am, if you want to get to know people. 

You would like to ask questions? I can try to answer, speaking for myself, only - of course. :-)

welcome nobodyyouknow. I am Mary, my name means bitter in hebrew. I am also bitter.

I have a million reasons to be bitter. Reflecting upon my life, I have come to understand that my family was very dysfunctional. Abuses were heaped upon me as a child. My family saw the abuses and did nothing to stop it. They put me in situations for further abuse and if that abuse was from another family member, they turned a blind eye. They did not allow any sort of questioning or anger of both my abuse or of the faith I was born into. To question our faith or the bible was akin to opening my heart to satan. I was told to give my problems to god and he would handle them. I just needed to open my heart to god and let him in, and good things would come to me. I was born into a pentecostal religion, where children were encouraged to work towards speaking in tongues, prophecy and learning the laying of hands to heal. These gifts were not bestowed on me and god never entered my heart. Since our faith was not  a mainstream faith in my community, I was not allowed friendships with people of other christian faiths. My world was very small. I was dressed differently, not allowed to go to dances, play cards, or listen to rock music. It was like everything in life was a risk that satan would influence me. I learned early to pretend, go along with it for the sake of peace. Even still, I must not have pretended very well as my parents were always having faith healers laying hands upon me, or the minister to pray over me for satan to lose his grip on my soul.

So, I didn't fit in at church or at home. Because my parents were suspicious of everything, I had very little social life. Because I had to dress like a freak and not allowed to socialize with people outside of the sect, I had few friends. Religion interferred with honest and true communication with my family. I can honestly say, they did not really know me. I didn't fit in anywhere. I left home at 19 by marrying (the only way to respectfully leave their grip) a man I didn't love. I divorced and married an abusive man I did love. I think it was because abuse was familiar and I had coping skills for that. I divorced him as well, but not for the abuse. I had two children with him and he was a disaster waiting to happen, and I jumped the sinking ship. Good thing I did as his life is really pathetic due to problems with the legal system.I married a thrid time to a man who also grew up in a hyper-religious family. The day I met his family, they were awaiting the rapture. They, for some reason, beleived that day to be the day. They asked my future husband to look after the dog when they departed. At that moment I realized my future husband and I had a lot in common. The rapture didn't happen, we married and the dog died. We have been married 23 years and have a child together. His family still reminds me that heaven is not for us due to our sinful nature with my divorce and all that. I'm dragging their son to hell, so to speak. They don't speak with their only grandchild/niece due to her not being indoctrinated into their beliefs....and she is such a good kid.

I am an atheist. Probably always have been. My husband beleives in a higher power, but probably not a god. Again, religion has pulled us apart from family and even though they live a 5 minute drive away, we don't speak to them very often. My husband hasn't seen any of them in over 5 years. He has 5 siblings who are between 40 and 60, who have never married or have had relationships of the romantic type. I don't see religion as anything more than another way to not get along. I'm tired of trying to fit in. I'm glad I married that black sheep because he is my best friend and we have a beautiful family together. My children are atheists too and we belong to a local atheist group.

I don't hate christians...or muslims or hindu's or any other belief out there. I don't hate christianity either. What I do hate is how people make judgments about me based of my lack of belief in a god. Like I can have no values whatsoever because of my lack of faith. I hate how the christian kids picked on one of my children in elementary school due to her not going to their after school god club and how her teacher enabled that. I hate how christians can do terrible things, but if they ask their god to forgive them, they can move forward without guilt or atonement to the people they have hurt. I hate the attitude some of them have, that they are better than I am because they beleive in something I cannot. I hate that someone beat on my car and removed my darwin fish. I hate how religious folk claim to be persecuted in this country (usa) and claim this country was founded on christianity. I hate that when I put lights on my house in december, religious folk tell me I'm a hypocrit. I hate when I'm in public, but having a private conversation with someone and say omg, some christian will snear at me or call me out on it. I hate eating at village inn on Sundays.

I do have christian friends beleive it or not. We don't discuss religion and get along fine. I also have muslim friends and jewish friends. I can get along with anyone if they don't push their beliefs on me. If they tell me they will pray for me, I tell them not to waste their time. If my friends are praying for me, they have learned not to tell me.

If you want to chat just to chat. Be my guest, but I am suspicious of you wanting to get to know us. If all you want is to chat up some random people, there are plenty of forums for that. In my mind, you have a motive for being here and I suspect your intentions. I loved my parents and siblings and they are all dead now. I miss them terribly.....but......such a wonderful freedom for me now that they are gone. I no longer have to silently go along with their nonsense or fight with them if I disagree. I don't have to feel pressure or guilt.

I am looking for the ultimate fudge recipe though, so If you have one please share.

Mary

• Like 5

Guest nobodyyouknow

Its so easy to take things the wrong way on the internet, without tone of voice and expressions. But I really think she had good intentions and was not trying to be rude.

Perhaps, but even though her first post was not very long, she still managed to include an awful lot of "trigger" phrases in it. Whether this was done knowingly or unknowingly is impossible to determine. If this was done unknowingly, then it shows that she didn't do enough reading here before she posted.

Imagine if I had been an atheist all of my life, and then I went to a site called ilovechristianity.net, and my first post was:

"Hi everyone. I just found your site, and I'm amazed at what everyone here believes. Could you explain why you believe in this mythological figure called Jesus? Could anyone tell me how you became convinced that any of the mythological stuff in the Bible is true? I just want to chat with Christians, but I'm not interested in debate."

Exactly how well do you think such a post would fly in such an environment?

EDIT: Note how in my example post, there is nothing directly insulting within it, but it contains "trigger" phrases that would get Christians in a tizzy.

Actually that wouldn't get me in a tizzy at alI. I never asked you to explain why you don't believe in God. Alot of those reasons are already shown on the threads.

But if there is an award for the most disected/scrutinized/critiqued first post in a thread... Its ALL mine.. agreed? biggrin.png

I can understand you wanting to know where I am coming from but I feel like I have answered the main questions about why I'm here.

Of course, the answers may not satisfy you though.. I guess its either accept or reject it. Thanks goes to the ones who have accepted smile.png

It does get pretty ridiculous though when it comes to questioning how much I edit my posts. (see further back) 

You're supposed to be a "witness" just by stepping out your door or sitting at your keyboard and doing whatever you do.  No doubt we have xians come-a-knockin' who think they are "letting their light shine through" and we're supposed to notice how empty we are and how together, peaceful, and fulfilled they are.  Given the courage and growth regularly demonstrated on these pages and the dark edge of xianity that invariably comes through when they lose their composure or need to defend xianity's evils, it's pretty laughable.

WOW. Did she pick up her ball and bat and go home?  bill

I am looking for the ultimate fudge recipe though, so If you have one please share.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think the original Kraft Fantasy Fudge Recipe is unsurpassed.  The nuts are optional and if you use a thermometer the fudge should be heated to 238 degrees F.

• Like 1

Guest nobodyyouknow

welcome nobodyyouknow. I am Mary, my name means bitter in hebrew. I am also bitter.

I have a million reasons to be bitter. Reflecting upon my life, I have come to understand that my family was very dysfunctional. Abuses were heaped upon me as a child. My family saw the abuses and did nothing to stop it. They put me in situations for further abuse and if that abuse was from another family member, they turned a blind eye. They did not allow any sort of questioning or anger of both my abuse or of the faith I was born into. To question our faith or the bible was akin to opening my heart to satan. I was told to give my problems to god and he would handle them. I just needed to open my heart to god and let him in, and good things would come to me. I was born into a pentecostal religion, where children were encouraged to work towards speaking in tongues, prophecy and learning the laying of hands to heal. These gifts were not bestowed on me and god never entered my heart. Since our faith was not  a mainstream faith in my community, I was not allowed friendships with people of other christian faiths. My world was very small. I was dressed differently, not allowed to go to dances, play cards, or listen to rock music. It was like everything in life was a risk that satan would influence me. I learned early to pretend, go along with it for the sake of peace. Even still, I must not have pretended very well as my parents were always having faith healers laying hands upon me, or the minister to pray over me for satan to lose his grip on my soul.

So, I didn't fit in at church or at home. Because my parents were suspicious of everything, I had very little social life. Because I had to dress like a freak and not allowed to socialize with people outside of the sect, I had few friends. Religion interferred with honest and true communication with my family. I can honestly say, they did not really know me. I didn't fit in anywhere. I left home at 19 by marrying (the only way to respectfully leave their grip) a man I didn't love. I divorced and married an abusive man I did love. I think it was because abuse was familiar and I had coping skills for that. I divorced him as well, but not for the abuse. I had two children with him and he was a disaster waiting to happen, and I jumped the sinking ship. Good thing I did as his life is really pathetic due to problems with the legal system.I married a thrid time to a man who also grew up in a hyper-religious family. The day I met his family, they were awaiting the rapture. They, for some reason, beleived that day to be the day. They asked my future husband to look after the dog when they departed. At that moment I realized my future husband and I had a lot in common. The rapture didn't happen, we married and the dog died. We have been married 23 years and have a child together. His family still reminds me that heaven is not for us due to our sinful nature with my divorce and all that. I'm dragging their son to hell, so to speak. They don't speak with their only grandchild/niece due to her not being indoctrinated into their beliefs....and she is such a good kid.

I am an atheist. Probably always have been. My husband beleives in a higher power, but probably not a god. Again, religion has pulled us apart from family and even though they live a 5 minute drive away, we don't speak to them very often. My husband hasn't seen any of them in over 5 years. He has 5 siblings who are between 40 and 60, who have never married or have had relationships of the romantic type. I don't see religion as anything more than another way to not get along. I'm tired of trying to fit in. I'm glad I married that black sheep because he is my best friend and we have a beautiful family together. My children are atheists too and we belong to a local atheist group.

I don't hate christians...or muslims or hindu's or any other belief out there. I don't hate christianity either. What I do hate is how people make judgments about me based of my lack of belief in a god. Like I can have no values whatsoever because of my lack of faith. I hate how the christian kids picked on one of my children in elementary school due to her not going to their after school god club and how her teacher enabled that. I hate how christians can do terrible things, but if they ask their god to forgive them, they can move forward without guilt or atonement to the people they have hurt. I hate the attitude some of them have, that they are better than I am because they beleive in something I cannot. I hate that someone beat on my car and removed my darwin fish. I hate how religious folk claim to be persecuted in this country (usa) and claim this country was founded on christianity. I hate that when I put lights on my house in december, religious folk tell me I'm a hypocrit. I hate when I'm in public, but having a private conversation with someone and say omg, some christian will snear at me or call me out on it. I hate eating at village inn on Sundays.

I do have christian friends beleive it or not. We don't discuss religion and get along fine. I also have muslim friends and jewish friends. I can get along with anyone if they don't push their beliefs on me. If they tell me they will pray for me, I tell them not to waste their time. If my friends are praying for me, they have learned not to tell me.

If you want to chat just to chat. Be my guest, but I am suspicious of you wanting to get to know us. If all you want is to chat up some random people, there are plenty of forums for that. In my mind, you have a motive for being here and I suspect your intentions. I loved my parents and siblings and they are all dead now. I miss them terribly.....but......such a wonderful freedom for me now that they are gone. I no longer have to silently go along with their nonsense or fight with them if I disagree. I don't have to feel pressure or guilt.

Mary

I'm sorry for the things that have happened to you thru the name of 'religion" I don't pretend to understand how you feel or what it was like for you.

I am not judging people for feeling hurt, bitter and angry etc

Love the randomness of the fudge question... I have a recipe for white chocolate caramel fudge... if you want that one I can post it when I'm at home

Do I want you guys to believe in my God? Of course, but at the same time I'm not going to debate you to the death and tell you stuff you already know. Maybe I'll go into the lions den one day. But today it's enough to chat and shoot the breeze. Learn a bit more about people.

Mary

I think this is my favorite post so far this year.