Goodbye Jesus

God's Critics Helped Me Out

Thumbelina

Folks,

The argument I'm making here rests on the principle of equality, which is enshrined in the rules of the Den and the Terms of Service.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lion's Den Rules Attention "True Christians™" and former Christians.

This is the section of the board where Christian opinions, arguments, sermons and so on will be more-or-less tolerated. Aggressive evangelism is permitted in this section, but aggressive evangelists should be ready to be met by equally aggressive resistance.

An occasionally heated response is allowed and sometimes even encouraged. However, all posters to the Lion's Den are still expected to adhere the general rules of decorum as delineated in the Forum Guidelines. In other words, conversations in the Lion's Den are intended to be permissively unrestrained without devolving into repetitious verbal abuse. Those who are identified as repeatedly abusive -- in this section or any section of this website -- may be suspended or banned from posting without notice.

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are all equals here and nobody has any authority over anyone else.

But if a Christian posts here, acting on the belief that the Bible gives them the authority to teach, instruct, correct and rebuke us, then they are not conducting themselves as an equal.   Isn't this exactly how Thumbelina behaves here?  As an authority figure?

So imho, when she returns we should remind her that under the rules, she can express her personal opinions, make arguments, deliver sermons and even aggressively evangelize.  But what she cannot do is teach, instruct, correct or rebuke us.  Only someone with authority over us can do these things and she doesn't have any authority over us.  We are equals.

Also, there's the purpose Ex-Christian.net was founded for.

"To encourage former Christians and those leaving Christianity."  How can a Christian teaching and instructing us about... Christianity ...be helping to encourage former Christians and those leaving Christianity?  That's working directly against the purpose of this whole site.

That needs to be stopped.

Thumbelina needs to told that she cannot teach, instruct, correct or rebuke us.  She must also be told that she has no authority over us.  So, if you find Thumbelina acting like this, remind her that she's out of line!

Thanks,

BAA.

Isnt the aggressive evangelism that is allowed , per the rules of Ex-c in contradiction to the mission statement which is "To encourage former Christians and those leaving Christianity" ?

If we don't want Christians evangelizing then 'evangelism' should be removed from the lion's den rules. That's the only reason Christians are here anyway. To evangelize. It  is their prime directive.

Wasn't the Lion's Den really designed to let the Christians have a voice on the site while keeping them penned up in one spot and away from the other discussion areas so they don't harm others? :-)

I dont really think what the Christians are doing here is from any authority since their Jesus is non-existent. We could insist they not evangelize but then what fun would this thread be ?

I think, if/when she does come back, we need to seriously start taking her to task over her behavior and get it shored-up.

I tried to do that when I first joined.  She just ignores it.  BBA has been trying since long before my time.  She just ignores him.  She ignores anything that doesn't fit her agenda . . . including much of the Bible.

"She ignores anything that doesn't fit her agenda . . . including much of the Bible."  mymistake

Yeah, but how else could she remain a Xtian?  bill

• Like 2

I think, if/when she does come back, we need to seriously start taking her to task over her behavior and get it shored-up.

I tried to do that when I first joined.  She just ignores it.  BBA has been trying since long before my time.  She just ignores him.  She ignores anything that doesn't fit her agenda . . . including much of the Bible.

Yes MM,

That's right.

But that's how I get her to display her rotten spiritual fruit to the lurkers and those leaving and de-converting from Christianity. If I'm upholding the rules and principles of this site and defending the rights of others, the more she ignores me the better those watching can see her true colors.

See how it works?

It's like the Patriotic Guard standing between the grieving families and the Westboro crazies.  The guards don't have to persuade the nutjobs about anything.  All they have to do is stand firm and show these Bible-bashing bozos for what they really are.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I came by here last time to basically check in, say hi, tease some folk and not to get into arguing. You lions sure like to argue smile.png I'm busy now so I can't talk now. I did read the posts. I'll TRY to check in again soon ( I think you lions like chompin' on Christians; good thing I know the Great Physician tongue.png) .

• Super Moderator

I came by here last time to basically check in, say hi, tease some folk and not to get into arguing. You lions sure like to argue smile.png I'm busy now so I can't talk now. I did read the posts. I'll TRY to check in again soon ( I think you lions like chompin' on Christians; good thing I know the Great Physician tongue.png) .

Translation:  I poked a hornet's nest with a stick and am too much of a coward to stick around and deal with the fall-out.

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

^^No mud. Or boobs. Disappointed.

• Super Moderator

^^No mud. Or boobs. Disappointed.

Sorry. Best I could do since Thumby won't post vids of her mud matches.

Because pointing out the contradictions in the Bible = chomping on Christians

Oh the humanity of it all.  You are so persecuted for Jesus!   crucified.gif

• Like 1

Great Physician? What is your co-pay? :-)

I've just PM'ed this to the Thumb.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Thumby-Wumby, darlin!  smile.png

Since your last visit there's been some big news!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZlfIVEy_YOA

You don't have to understand the math or the science, baby!  It's simple!  Back in the 80's the scientist in the vid made a prediction about a type of radiation comin' from the origin of the universe, 13.82 billion years ago. The other week somebody came to his door to tell him that the prediction he made decades ago has been confirmed. 

The universe... IS ...billions of years old.

He was right!  yellow.gif

Now honeybun, how can that be?

The Bible says God breathed the universe into being over just 6 days, just a few thousand years ago... right?

C'mon my darlin, precious, widdle Thumbelina-weiner!

Please tell us Lions how somethin' nobody's ever seen before can be exactly what was predicted.

How the heavens contradicts the ever-so-holy word of the ever-so-wunderful God.

Teasingly yours,

BAA

Prof. Linde's reaction is bang on, he says in the clip that before the news came, he always had that feeling of "what if I'm wrong?" 

That question is one that I hope I'll keep asking until my deathbed. 

Saw this blog entry about how to engage with an anti-oppression site, and though the writer is working from a feminist/POC viewpoint, the post applies quite well to a site dealing with the abuses and overreaches of Christianity. I link to it in hopes that Christians will see it and maybe learn a couple things. I do not see ex-C here as existing to teach Thumbelina how to become a better person. Her own god has not improved even a single iota her raging case of narcissistic entitlement, so I don't see how a forum full of ex-Christians (a group she doesn't understand in the slightest and is clearly not interested in understanding) is going to help her. It's offensive to be thought of as a fucking zoo exhibit for her to drop by and antagonize at her leisure.

I was glad Thumby was gone, and will be glad when she sees some other shiny zoo cage to go rattle to get her hit of smug entitlement.

• Like 2

Yoo hoo, lions, I still did not forget you. I did not get my soapbox (according to some folks here biggrin.png) repaired yet, therefore I haven't been posting.

What's with this Heartbleed thing?

Yoo hoo, lions, I still did not forget you. I did not get my soapbox (according to some folks here biggrin.png) repaired yet, therefore I haven't been posting.

Of course you did not forget how much you enjoy the attention you get when you post here.  Narcissism is one of the most difficult conditions to treat.

• Like 2

Yoo hoo yourself, sweetie pie! 

LeslieWave.gif

Don't trouble yourself over this Heartbleed thing, darlin'.

It's to do with... t-e-c-h-n-o-l-o-g-y ...and..  s-c-i-e-n-c-e.  Y'know hon?  Those two things you use every day, but don't give any credit to or even acknowledge that they exist.  Remember, darlin'...?

Oh and talking about your memory, here's a reminder of what I PM'ed you, Thumby.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Thumby-Wumby, darlin!  smile.png

Since your last visit there's been some big news!

You don't have to understand the math or the science, baby!  It's simple!  Back in the 80's the scientist in the vid made a prediction about a type of radiation comin' from the origin of the universe, 13.82 billion years ago. The other week somebody came to his door to tell him that the prediction he made decades ago has been confirmed. 

The universe... IS ...billions of years old.

He was right!  yellow.gif

Now honeybun, how can that be?

The Bible says God breathed the universe into being over just 6 days, just a few thousand years ago... right?

C'mon my darlin, precious, widdle Thumbelina-weiner!

Please tell us Lions how somethin' nobody's ever seen before can be exactly what was predicted.

How the heavens contradicts the ever-so-holy word of the ever-so-wunderful God.

Teasingly yours,

BAA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But don't fret, hon!

I'll be right here with you every step of the way!   smile.png

Teasingly yours,

BAA

• Like 1

Hi Thumbelina,  

I am a noob here so forgive me if you've addressed this in another thread.

You use lots of Scripture to support your views.  How much have you looked into the origins of Scripture - the process by which it was written and canonized?  To me, that's been very important - seeing all the history and politics that are involved in passing down those words over history.  It seems very organic, messy, and most of all human.  What is your basis for believing in the authority of Scripture, or disbelieving in the authority of other sacred texts such as the Koran or the Bhagavad Gita?  There are books that say all kinds of things that aren't true.  How is the Bible special?  Have you heard of the documentary hypothesis, for example?  This is the widely accepted framework for how most scholars believe the Pentateuch was edited by multiple sources over time, each with its own ideological and political goals.  The Gospels also come from a variety of contradicting sources.  If the Bible comes from God, shouldn't it be more coherent and not chock full of contradictions like it is?  Why does it require whole field of study (apologetics) to be defended?  If there is a God, wouldn't he try a little harder to make himself more clear instead of letting people kill each other over things like the doctrine of transubstantiation, for example?

Do you understand that if you are talking to people who don't believe in God, no amount of Scripture is going to have any sway?  If you want to convince anyone, it would be helpful to see why you believe Scripture is so special.  And no quoting verses where Scripture claims to be inspired (it really doesn't, btw).  You need to point to real things in the real world to support this independently.  Otherwise you may as well be quoting the BG, the Koran, Harry Potter or any number of interesting books.

• Super Moderator

Hi Thumbelina,  

I am a noob here so forgive me if you've addressed this in another thread.

You use lots of Scripture to support your views.  How much have you looked into the origins of Scripture - the process by which it was written and canonized?  To me, that's been very important - seeing all the history and politics that are involved in passing down those words over history.  It seems very organic, messy, and most of all human.  What is your basis for believing in the authority of Scripture, or disbelieving in the authority of other sacred texts such as the Koran or the Bhagavad Gita?  There are books that say all kinds of things that aren't true.  How is the Bible special?  Have you heard of the documentary hypothesis, for example?  This is the widely accepted framework for how most scholars believe the Pentateuch was edited by multiple sources over time, each with its own ideological and political goals.  The Gospels also come from a variety of contradicting sources.  If the Bible comes from God, shouldn't it be more coherent and not chock full of contradictions like it is?  Why does it require whole field of study (apologetics) to be defended?  If there is a God, wouldn't he try a little harder to make himself more clear instead of letting people kill each other over things like the doctrine of transubstantiation, for example?

Do you understand that if you are talking to people who don't believe in God, no amount of Scripture is going to have any sway?  If you want to convince anyone, it would be helpful to see why you believe Scripture is so special.  And no quoting verses where Scripture claims to be inspired (it really doesn't, btw).  You need to point to real things in the real world to support this independently.  Otherwise you may as well be quoting the BG, the Koran, Harry Potter or any number of interesting books.

Nate, Thumperina isn't interested in how the bible actually came to be; she's absolutely convinced it is the divinely inspired word of god suitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness.  For her, that is enough.  Her purpose here isn't to listen and learn from those who have already been down that path and turned from it.  Her purpose is simply to proselytize.  You probably will not get a serious response to this post from her, other than "the bible is true, so there!"  With that said, the points you have made here will be of tremendous benefit to any lurkers reading this.

*Hugs to any lurkers reading this.

• Like 6

I'm happy for anyone to reply, thumb or no thumb. Bring it on!

• Super Moderator

I'm happy for anyone to reply, thumb or no thumb. Bring it on!

That's the spirit!

• Super Moderator

Where would we be without opposable thumbs?

• Super Moderator

Where would we be without opposable thumbs?

Hey, I see what you did there!

I'm really curious, is Thumbelina an SDA (7th day Adventist)?  Because virtually every single SDA is taught to believe in the literal 7 day creation.  If she is, I'm going to go grab some popcorn.