Goodbye Jesus

Boring Post Thread

ContraBardus

So it's late and I'm listening music that I haven't heard in awhile.

Vs.

Which is superior? Why don't shows today have such earworm-y themes? This is an unresolved conflict of modern man! An existential crisis of sorts! Oh the humanity!

Not really. It's just been awhile since I did a youtube vid comparison post. Enjoy. biggrin.png

The original of course.

Here's the long version...

and a montage of cameos just because...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85gkOXeXG4

I'm still trying to up my post count.

• Like 3

Trying to get people to confirm for a xmas breakfast.... a lot of them are flakey!

Scribo in Lingua Latinam de Exchristianus Forum et id est in uni sopor inducem discussionum. Fortis! Sic ego faci scribi.

Apuleius novel de aureus asininum est bonus et hilari. Aureus Asininare vias in antiqua Roma, populum reactio ad Lucius sicut ille erat transformare per Pamphilem. Apuleius est callidi auctorem. Ille utor extraordinarius orationem. Ne auctores in Latinis sed similis est si, Catullus nec impudens, qui scripsit carmina tot audaces. Peto ut nunc legitur Apuleius! :)

What YT recommends for me today.:

Green cat. I don't know why it is green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unVlKOaOGug

I watch too much sentai and sentai related stuff on YT. This video was boring to me because there are like 100 of these types of vids made by different fans. This one is just henshin cuts. Not even full roll call or transformation sequence or anything, so I guess it is technically partial henshins. One cool thing was that the maker of this vid recognized the US PR franchise and put the name and season number in the lower right hand corner. Otherwise, very boring.

I watch too much sentai and sentai related stuff on YT. This video was boring to me because there are like 100 of these types of vids made by different fans. This one is just henshin cuts. Not even full roll call or transformation sequence or anything, so I guess it is technically partial henshins. One cool thing was that the maker of this vid recognized the US PR franchise and put the name and season number in the lower right hand corner. Otherwise, very boring.

I love how all the Sentai teams are basically just doing cheerleading poses in weird costumes in this montage.

There are a number of reasons why the cat is green. Most of them involve someone being drunk and some green dye.

I went for a long walk this morning. It looked warm so I thought a t-shirt would be okay, but when I realised it was cold I didn't want to go inside to get warmer clothes. I couldn't feel my hands properly for an hour after I returned. It's 0 C (32 F) outside. Slight regrets.

Nobody's replied to this topic yet and I'm still awake. I guess somebody has to do it. smile.png

• Like 2

In the Southern Hemisphere, things are hotting up.  Today was the first day it has been hot throughout the house, despite having the windows open.  And it's only going to get warmer.  Le sigh.

I love how all the Sentai teams are basically just doing cheerleading poses in weird costumes in this montage.

There are a number of reasons why the cat is green. Most of them involve someone being drunk and some green dye.

Dammit, I feel a sentai rant coming on...

Aren't sentai just a strange masculine form of cheerleaders most of the time? Some of the squads are true to the sentai name and are military ops or something of the sort, but most of them are essentially military mascots and/or cheerleaders. In the US PR franchise, most of the teams are "teenagers with attitude" or some shit. Pink rangers in the PR franchise are almost always cheerleaders, gymnasts or pretty girls inserted for fan service.

--------------

For those who are bored, read on. I will delve into the history of female rangers, pink in particular and will do so with mild hints of irony. Pictures included. [Not doing every pink ranger in the canon though.]

The first attempt at a pink ranger [from which all other tropes would arise] was in the very first series [retroactively added to the canon some years later], Gorenger. I've not seen much of this series. It lacks mecha and isn't really super sentai. It's more camp sci-fi/martial arts for adults, imo, but it did have some kid appeal, I suppose. The costumes aren't terrible for the mid 70s, just sort of weird and dated looking back. Here is Momorenger, the first pink ranger evah!

Momorenger.png

The second attempt at defining the tropetastic pink ranger occurred in Battle Fever J. This was the third installment of the Super Sentai series. It aired in 1979-1980 and wins the ugliest costumes award AND is also the honorary holder of the strangest plot award. I'll not get into that here, but let's say that this series is one that didn't pass the test of time. The pink ranger in this series is called Miss America. The character is supposed to be an FBI agent sent to avenge her father's death and later on, it's a different character who is also an FBI agent.

Because nothing says FBI and sends the message of taking law enforcement seriously like:

ACB7901.jpg

Miss America was pretty fan service-y, as you can tell by the costume. At this time, sentai really wasn't a thing and it was more or less general audience fodder. Not quite as kiddified as modern sentai. Miss America was supposed to be provocative, I suppose. Either that, or the creators and costume directors were too busy snorting coke off of a hooker's ass in the backroom of a Tokyo disco when they came up with the idea of her. And probably the rest of the characters too:

fever120L.jpg

From left to right: Battle France, Battle Kossak [reppin' the Soviet Union because yes, this shit is that old], Battle Japan, Miss America and Battle Kenya

The next trope defining pink ranger would be Momozono of Goggle V. She didn't wear a skirt, which was kinda odd and most of the pink=girly girl trope definition occurred during her non-ranger moments. Goggle V is a weird series anyway, because honestly, who thought up the idea of the team's super powers being based around rhythmic gymnastics? Where the fuck does that even begin to factor into your super power-source ideas? Chemical spills, spiderbites, falling from space, genetic experimentation, secret military ops...hey, what about rhythmic gymnastics? Wtf?

The Goggle V team, pink on the far right:

goggle_v_3724.jpg

Momozono [Megumi] during her off time:

Megumi+1.jpg

That's very PG wet daydreamesque. She's wholesome, but you can tell she's a little naughty. That would set the tone for future pink rangers in the series, until they went full on kiddie in the last decade or so.

Maskman was the first series [AFAIK, they all blend together after you've watched most of them, lol] to introduce the skirts on female rangers as a specific feature. Or at least that is where the trope of skirts really took off.

151173.gif

Momoko [pink mask] was kinda naughty too, but I'll leave that to the bored folks to google on your own time. ;)Maskman also had epic 80s opening theme. One of my favorite sentai themes. Most sentai themes are really attention grabbing, but few have the "Final Countdown" sort of urgency of Maskman.

Liveman warrants a brief mention as well. Only because it was in this series that the pink=girl ranger trope was first demolished in the canonical sentai series. In Maskman, the blue ranger was the girl. Blue dolphin!

Insert pic of Liveman Blue Dolphin here. Old one messed up.

Then there was Jetman. Jetman wasn't a great series, but it was almost the first to be adapted for the PR franchise. Not sure PR would have took off it had been, honestly. Jetman is a bit OTT and is military themed (Air Force, skydiving, blah blah). Noteworthy only for two things: 1) Two female rangers, neither of which is pink. You could make a case for White Swan technically being pink and I wouldn't argue. Blue Swallow is blue, though. 2) Arguably one of the best themes of sentai: JETMAN THEME. It's like an epic commercial jingle. Kinda reminds me of those catchy 90s jingles when pizza was on a bagel and all that jazz. It was my ringtone for awhile... B)

JETMAN_henshin_1505.jpg

Now onto Zyuranger, the series that did get adapted for MMPR...

Mei was the pink zyuranger and she was [imho] the first of the "goody two-shoes" pink ranger trope. This is where the PR franchise drew the idea of sickeningly sweet schlocky semi-fan service female rangers from. Mei was really a badass though. It's a shame that her fighting abilities were never given much development in the MMPR adaptations because in the Zyuranger series, Mei shows herself to be just as good as the supporting guys [although she never matches the red or green rangers abilities]. PR pink rangers are mostly eye candy and that was the choice of Saban in his early adaptations to just run with the fluff as presented by the character of Mei in the original Zyu series as the universal default setting template for pink rangers.

Mei:

Mei.jpg

-----------------

Since there are ~40 super sentai series, I'm stopping in the mid 90s for today. Mei pretty much codified the trope from there on out. That's not to say that there weren't stronger pinks, but pink hasn't really been a serious force in sentai or PR in recent times. Yellow female rangers took the helm and are almost always the better fighters and better leaders of the female rangers. Someday I'll do a feature on yellows, since that is really where my allegiances lie in sentai land. As a girl, I wasn't allowed to be black or red (my choices), so it was always yellow since the pretty girls ALWAYS took pink.

MOAAAAAAR FANWANK! yelrotflmao.gif

Rythmic Gymnastics became popularized as a health and fitness method in the 70s and has remained popular to this day. Many schools have after school clubs for Gymnastics, and Rythmic Gymnastics is particularly popular because it doesn't require large, expensive equipment like Artistic Gymnastics such as horses and bars, thus it was perfect for school sports clubs. Several anime had characters that picked up on this trend at the time including Ranma 1/2, Hikari no Densetsu, Fly High, and Ganbarist! Shun. It's popularity is similar to Ballet in the west. In Japan Gymnastics is not considered feminine as it often is in western culture. That, coupled with the fact that they hire gymnasts often to play parts in Super Sentai is why we ended up with a Rythmic Gymnastics centered team at one point.

Ah good to know, CB. It just seems random looking back because modern Sentai lacks variety. It's an endless cycle of samurai/ninja, dinosaur, automobiles, military and so on. The 80s had a lot more variety in Sentai themes and back stories, IMHO.

What a powerful lesson for tonight......

I just ate dinner. But, it wasn't boring. It was quite yummy. :)

Screamin' Sicilian pizza is awesome. It's my favorite brand of frozen pizza.

I usually just make Pizza from scratch if I want it, it's not particularly difficult to make actually, but requires a bit of prep work and time because the dough has to rise. Sometimes I go to the Italian place nearby. They make amazing NY style Pizza there. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that every time I go in there the first thing I hear are a bunch of NY accents in the open kitchen. Their pasta and sauces are great too.

If you're ever in Gainesville and looking for a decent Italian place, check this place out. It's right off I-75 by Santa Fe College and it's the best Italian food in town. http://pomodorocafe.com/

However, on rare occasions I'll just nab one of these instead just because. I have a Pizza stone and it comes out perfectly every time in about ten minutes. The package says to cook it 16-20 minutes, but with a preheated gas oven and a pizza stone you've got to shorten that time quite a bit.

081213screaminsicilianjeffengel*600.jpg

That's not show pizza, it really comes out looking like that from the oven. Good stuff.

This is my 100th post! (and of course it's on the boring thread)

This is probably the one and only post I'm ever going to make here.

Why?

Coz this thread is too boring to rate anything else from me!

• Like 1

I'll post a selection from the Satyricon by Petronius Arbiter. This is my fave part actually.

Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere, et cum illi pueri dicerent: Σίβυλλα τί θέλεις; respondebat illa: ἀποθανεῖν θέλω.

T.S Eliot's translation is as follows: For with my own eyes I saw the Sibyl hanging in a bottle, and when the young boys asked her, 'Sibyl, what do you want?', she replied, 'I want to die' .

I've been going through the German lessons on duolingo.com. If I ever travel to Deutschland I will be an expert on how to tell someone they are eating apples and drinking water. Seriously, when would someone say "Sie Frau isst ein Apfel". I mean I've never said "My wife is eating an apple" in English. Nobody talks like that. No, if my wife were eating an Apfel I'd be more likely to to say "what the hell is that awful crunching noise!" The sound of people eating drives me insane. Like into a fit of rage insane. Since I was around twelve years old I started noticing the sounds of people eating with their mouths open, crunching ice, chewing gum, clipping their nails, and long list of other sounds drives me crazy. My parents, who are the most disgusting people on earth when it comes to table manners, always told me to just tune it out and considered this a serious character flaw with me. I guess chewing with their maws wide open and licking/smacking their lips was just fine in their book. I can't just tune it out. If I could I would. Instead those sounds trigger a "flight or fight" response with me. It's uncontrollable. It wasn't until a couple of years ago I discovered Misophonia is an actual medical term for this affliction and I'm not alone. Most people like me get the same sort of response from the same range of annoying sounds. 

Bored with insomnia. waaaa!

Yeah, I just did that to you.

On my way to church. No getting out of it this time. I'll take notes if the propaganda isn't too boring. <3

I've written a few angry letters to the new pastor of my former church. I haven't sent them, because it turns out in an interesting twist of events that he is actually friends with my younger sister's ex-fundie husband. (To clarify, my sister and her husband attend the church that his family attends and his father still serves on the board there. However, they are not active members and my sister is the epitome of a lukewarm believer who doesn't really believe at all.)

I don't want to start shit there. I don't get along with my brother-in-law anyway. For the sake of my sister and nephew, I keep things civil between us. I'm pretty sure that if I sent my letters eviscerating the new pastorman's sermons, my BIL and his family would probably find out that I am indeed an "evil" atheist. My sister would likely be pissed and I am not up to dealing with her bs right now.

I have been listening to sermons from my old church online recently. They are still full of shit, imho. Way more Jewish than they used to be. The new pastor makes a decent word salad though. If I were worth a shit as a transcriptionist, I'd quote him here. Every few words, he throws in a buzzword and always talks about love, peace, etc. Never the bad shit or even the confusing shit. It's all Christianity-lite, all NT-based except for one random sermon on a Psalm. Same old, same old.

I don't hate the guy or the church; I just disagree with a lot of the behind-the-scenes teachings there. And I also have issues with the way that they treated me when I confessed to having doubts prior to my officially withdrawing my membership in 2013. It was as if I never existed. Maybe I didn't really exist. Maybe I'm a fucking mirage.

/rant over

Now for this:

Weird shit that plays on my Grooveshark station. I've been listening to a lot of Mr. Bungle, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Man Man, Deerhunter, Tom Waits and other strange bits. :shrug:

Yawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.