Goodbye Jesus

Boring Post Thread

ContraBardus

Here are some boring facts about the eyes of the Mantis Shrimp...

1048928.png

• Like 1

How bored do you have to be...

1048836.jpg

• Like 3

Today my toaster caught on fire. My mom put a partially frozen English muffin in a single slot to get it "pop apart". She turned it to its highest setting and put it through 3 times. Then she decided to lie down and continue her love affair with Netflix during the 3rd go through. I awoke to the sounds of the smoke alarm beeping and my neighbors from across the hall came over to see what was going on.

Well, my fucking toaster was aflame, that is what was wrong. I threw some water on it and it eventually fizzled out. Thankfully, it only melted the plastic casing and destroyed Mom's english muffin. So I went and bought a new toaster today. I felt all fancy at the store. I've never bought a new appliance before. Always got stuff used off of Craigslist or from yard sales or thrift stores. I also bought some hot cocoa cups for my Keurig brewer and some Pyrex measuring cups.

Also, this:

Yes, that is from The Brave Little Toaster. A B classic from my childhood. I was totally humming the melody to "Worthless" while I was browsing the appliance section at the department store. I kinda dig the melody. Reminds me of:

So I started humming that afterwards. Then I did the dance since I was alone. Good thing no one saw me, lol. I'm just a touch strange. tongue.png

• Like 2

Tonight, I'm going to read the boring post thread or maybe I'll start that 10,000 piece puzzle of jesus I have been wanting to put together....

510f%2BoY6FDL._SY300_.jpg

I'll be turning my lamp on in a couple of hours or so when it gets dark outside.

I'm just sittin' here chain 'vaporing', watching and readin' all my friends posts......

If I make one more post, my count is 5,900 posts...the same age as I am right now....59. Then 60 next week. Oh well.  

My posts match my age. Isn't that cool?

If I make one more post, my count is 5,900 posts...the same age as I am right now....

So you gained eternal life after all, being 5,900 and all. LOL.

Finally threw away the pizza box...

...and I just obtained one. I think I'll name him Stanley.

If you name it, you'll never be able to throw it away.

You might get as far as carrying him to the can, but then it'll hit you...

'Poor Stanley, I can't do this to you, buddy. C'mon, lets go back inside.'

• Like 1

The sun is up enough, barely, for me to turn the lamp off. And it's 10:07 am. That's winter in Alaska!

I opened the bedroom window because it was getting hot in here.

If you name it, you'll never be able to throw it away.

You might get as far as carrying him to the can, but then it'll hit you...

'Poor Stanley, I can't do this to you, buddy. C'mon, lets go back inside.'

I've seen him making eyes at Jessica the 20oz soda bottle, Wu the empty Chinese Rice box's girl. If there's any trouble Stanley is out the door. Wu and Jess have been good tenants and don't get in my way, I barely remember they are there most of the time. I've got a nice styrofoam burger box coming over this evening. We'll see if they hit it off and get along.

I moved my headphone cord out of the way.

I'm pretty sure at least a couple of these are real bullshit and don't just sound like it, but I'd give most of them the benefit of the doubt...

30-facts-that-sound-like-bullshit-but-ar

• Like 1

This is why the Ebola "crisis" bores me. I'm not the least bit interested in it, nor am I afraid of the disease in the slightest...

we-amp-039-ve-always-been-doomed_c_40617

• Like 1

Actually CB, some of those things really could kill us all.  And for people unlucky enough to be born in parts of W Africa, it is already happening.  We in the "West" are just lucky and we should be grateful.  Avian influenza will probably always be a threat.  And as long as N Korea has weapons, who knows what those crazies could do.  I just don't think about these things very often, as a way to cope.

Actually CB, some of those things really could kill us all.  And for people unlucky enough to be born in parts of W Africa, it is already happening.  We in the "West" are just lucky and we should be grateful.  Avian influenza will probably always be a threat.  And as long as N Korea has weapons, who knows what those crazies could do.  I just don't think about these things very often, as a way to cope.

There's always something that could kill us all, but it never does. That's the point. There's always some media hyped danger hanging over our heads that could end humanity forever. There is always alerts and warnings from the media, always people trying to sell us ways to protect ourselves, and always our heroic government bravely beating back the threat to save us all from total extinction just in the nick of time, as well as our Media giving us the facts we need to know to keep ourselves safe from this imminent danger that is just outside our doorstep and maybe even in our homes as we speak! Nuclear weapons, disease, computer viruses, asteroids, Mayan Prophecy, it's always something. Out of all these horrible things that everyone tells us we all have to worry about, not one of them has presented any real danger to the whole of humanity yet.

Sure, these things might kill some people, maybe even a lot of people in some places, but the hype and outrage machine always blows it out of proportion. More people have been married to Kim Kardashian than have contracted Ebola in the US. Those odds do not instil a sense of urgency or worry that I might suddenly contract Ebola or any of those other things. There is no good reason to worry about it at all, I've got a better chance of being struck by lighting or winning a Powerball Jackpot than I do of contracting Ebola or falling ill to some exotic disease, global calamity, or live to witness an extinction level event.

Also, I might worry about N Korea if I was living in S Korea, but not from where I'm sitting. Li'l Kim is crazy, but he knows what would happen to his country if he was dumb enough to actually launch a nuclear strike on the US. I'm pretty sure China has let him know that they won't back him up if he pulls something like that as an aggressor.

There a bunch of manufactured crises. Sure it's awful for the people who live in West Africa and I do think we should offer what aid we can, but realistically the rest of the world is not in any danger. At least nowhere near the level that we are lead to believe.

bet-you-didn-amp-039-t-know-these-facts_

• Like 1

There's always something that could kill us all, but it never does. That's the point. There's always some media hyped danger hanging over our heads that could end humanity forever. There is always alerts and warnings from the media, always people trying to sell us ways to protect ourselves, and always our heroic government bravely beating back the threat to save us all from total extinction just in the nick of time, as well as our Media giving us the facts we need to know to keep ourselves safe from this imminent danger that is just outside our doorstep and maybe even in our homes as we speak! Nuclear weapons, disease, computer viruses, asteroids, Mayan Prophecy, it's always something. Out of all these horrible things that everyone tells us we all have to worry about, not one of them has presented any real danger to the whole of humanity yet.

Sure, these things might kill some people, maybe even a lot of people in some places, but the hype and outrage machine always blows it out of proportion. More people have been married to Kim Kardashian than have contracted Ebola in the US. Those odds do not instil a sense of urgency or worry that I might suddenly contract Ebola or any of those other things. There is no good reason to worry about it at all, I've got a better chance of being struck by lighting or winning a Powerball Jackpot than I do of contracting Ebola or falling ill to some exotic disease, global calamity, or live to witness an extinction level event.

Also, I might worry about N Korea if I was living in S Korea, but not from where I'm sitting. Li'l Kim is crazy, but he knows what would happen to his country if he was dumb enough to actually launch a nuclear strike on the US. I'm pretty sure China has let him know that they won't back him up if he pulls something like that as an aggressor.

There a bunch of manufactured crises. Sure it's awful for the people who live in West Africa and I do think we should offer what aid we can, but realistically the rest of the world is not in any danger. At least nowhere near the level that we are lead to believe.

I don't disagree with you on Ebola, and note I didn't mention it in my post.  

If you ignore the risk posed by mutating airborne viruses like avian influenza, then you will eventually find out that warnings sometimes have something in them.  Obviously  "will kill us all" is a figure of speech; I'm not arguing that every last human will die from avian influenza. But we have been extremely lucky so far.  

There's another set of mutating airborne viruses that already kill large numbers of people every year: seasonal influenza.  If you are medically vulnerable, you rely on the ability of vaccines to keep up with mutations.  Avian influenza widens the at risk group beyond the medically vulnerable to include anybody.  Thank FSM for the level of science we have that has gotten us this far.  I hope we continue to stay one step ahead of the virii.  No guarantees.

I ate flax muffins today and turned the lamp on when it got dark outside.

Y2K was supposed to cause all sorts of problems. Jobs were created to mitigate Y2K concerns. At the USAF base I work there was a serious meeting regarding contingency plans in the event toilets stopped flushing (dead serious). Those of us who work with networks and computer systems were confident that real problem areas were patched (there were few) and the entire panic was based on hysteria and mostly ignorance. What really rocked our world was the change in that damn Daylight Savings Time. I dealt with more problems, crashes, bad patches, and downtime as the result of that change than anything related to Y2K. All those problems were fixed with narry a mention from the media. 

For my light bedtime reading tonight I have chosen Wikipedia's page on medical history.

I always knew the invention of early computers had something to do with IBM and punch cards, but I didn't know the company and the technology had their basis in medicine.

During the U.S. Civil War the Sanitary Commission collected enormous amounts of statistical data, and opened up the problems of storing information for fast access and mechanically searching for data patterns. The pioneer was John Shaw Billings (1838–1913). A senior surgeon in the war, Billings built the Library of the Surgeon General's Office (now the National Library of Medicine, the centerpiece of modern medical information systems.[98] Billings figured out how to mechanically analyze medical and demographic data by turning facts into numbers and punching the numbers onto cardboard cards that could be sorted and counted by machine. The applications were developed by his assistant Herman Hollerith; Hollerith invented the punch card and counter-sorter system that dominated statistical data manipulation until the 1970s. Hollerith's company became International Business Machines (IBM) in 1911.[99]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine#Statistical_methods

It could be argued that before the space race, it was medicine that drove scientific and technological advancement in the modern era.

Ok, back to my reading for some more fun...

Even more interesting to me (or perhaps boring to everyone else) is that the computer punch cards were direct descendents of cards that "programmed" automated textile looms.

So, before medicine drove scientific and technological advancement, it was rugs. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.