Goodbye Jesus

Salvation A Free Gift?

Deva

I am bringing up this topic because once again a Christian on this site has brought up this idea that salvation is somehow a "free gift". I heard this all my life growing up, and I would like to ask any and all Christians out there to explain exactly how this is a gift and how it is free in view of the fact that if this gift is not accepted, there is hell as a penalty. How do you reconcile this?

Have you ever heard of Martin Zender? You might find him interesting to say the least. He is a christian universalist but he has many writings on what you are talking about and how most christians say salvation is a free gift but they mean anything but a free gift.

sojourner

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Deva

• SWIM

• sojourner

I am bringing up this topic because once again a Christian on this site has brought up this idea that salvation is somehow a "free gift". I heard this all my life growing up, and I would like to ask any and all Christians out there to explain exactly how this is a gift and how it is free in view of the fact that if this gift is not accepted, there is hell as a penalty. How do you reconcile this?

Have you ever heard of Martin Zender? You might find him interesting to say the least. He is a christian universalist but he has many writings on what you are talking about and how most christians say salvation is a free gift but they mean anything but a free gift.

sojourner

No I haven't heard of him. I left behind all these types of inquiries long ago, finding them irrelevant to reality. I only raised it because on this site we are confronted with it almost on a weekly basis.

If he is a universalist then Martin would be unlikely to be describing salvation as a free gift, if he accepts the concept of salvation at all, and from what you say, he does not. After all, what is salvation? Salvation from what? From hell and death, that is what I was taught. Neither exist to me, in the orthodox Christian understanding of those words.

well actually the point I was trying to so inadequately make is that he would agree with you. In christendom salvation is said to be of grace and free but its anything but really. That much becomes apparent very quickly.

that much you would have in common, that you would agree that in reality christendom does not actually believe in a free gift of salvation....though they say they do

but he is a believer in God and Jesus Christ, that much you wouldnt have in common

sojourner

well actually the point I was trying to so inadequately make is that he would agree with you. In christendom salvation is said to be of grace and free but its anything but really. That much becomes apparent very quickly.

that much you would have in common

but he is a believer in God and Jesus Christ, that much you wouldnt have in common

sojourner

I am sure you are right, Sojourner. :grin:

Does anyone have children that have eventually matured to the point that now they return a gift at Christmas or on a birthday? Would it be any different? Maybe the motives of the church are not justified, but how can one judge the giver?

If the child is allowed to hand off the gift, then it was given with no strings. If you can't decline the 'gift' without the giver never speaking to you ever again, then it's not a 'free gift' it's a conditional one...

'If you don't take my gift, I'll not love you any more...'

The child in the analogy represents the Christian giver and his works. He returns a gift despite having ever accepted or refused presents in the past.

and then the gibberish starts... one day I'll learn not to engage crazies like they're human...

and then the gibberish starts... one day I'll learn not to engage crazies like they're human...

He really should't do analogies. He doesn't use them properly.

Bullshit yourself, zealot.

I think we have a crossed wire (other than your relationship with a dead jew) the 'Free Gift' is the whole salvation thing... not someone doing 'good stuff' since youll find most here do their 'bit' without earning brownie points with 'God'

He really should't do analogies. He doesn't use them properly.

yathink.jpg

BTW you're not the zealot xxx

So I throw a real world example out there and now you play the God card, oh, this is salvation we are talking about.....no, this is a flesh and bones example, and you can't say it always happens one way, so how can you deny my point.

Let me give you another since I am on a roll. Who among us, if we were lucky enough to have reasonably good parents, were kicked out of the house when we did not see eye to eye after becoming teenagers. Or did we stay out of harms way because they loved us and let us stay home?

So I throw a real world example out there and now you play the God card, oh, this is salvation we are talking about.....no, this is a flesh and bones example, and you can't say it always happens one way, so how can you deny my point.

NO YOU DIDN'T!! That was NOT a "real world" example. You compared christians to children. While some children are christians, not ALL christians are children. They don't all think like children, they don't reason like children, and they don't all act like children (with perhaps ONE exception...). Therefore the "analogy" falls the fuck apart.

Who among us, if we were lucky enough to have reasonably good parents, were kicked out of the house when we did not see eye to eye after becoming teenagers. Or did we stay out of harms way because they loved us and let us stay home?

This doesn't work either. Maybe YOU are a child....I don't know. Who is the good parent here....god? If that's where you are going....you need to re-read your bible. Because that is NOT what Biblegod is about! Biblegod is NOT a good parent! If a parent acted the way Biblegod acts, they would be arrested and their kids would be taken away!

WR,

From my heart.....I didn't mean to upset you or anyone. I am largely stubborn by nature, and enjoy the "wallow" so to speak of the argument. I was really just picking on GH because it is fun. My sincere apologies.

With all due respect, I think children don't know or care about labels.... in my mind, they are one of the better examples of Love.

Let me give you another since I am on a roll. Who among us, if we were lucky enough to have reasonably good parents, were kicked out of the house when we did not see eye to eye after becoming teenagers. Or did we stay out of harms way because they loved us and let us stay home?

What on earth makes you think you are "on a roll"???

Plenty of folks have been "kicked out" of the house because they turned atheist, in fact you can find tons of examples of this out there in the *real* world. But you know what? Sometimes that *doesn't* happen, and the xitian parent allows the kid to stay anyway. Of course god doesn't do this, if you don't believe you are shit out of luck. So, some earthly parents are better protectors then god.

Bible-god is what I am refering to. Xtian bible god. which one are you talking about btw?

WR,

From my heart.....I didn't mean to upset you or anyone. I am largely stubborn by nature, and enjoy the "wallow" so to speak of the argument. I was really just picking on GH because it is fun. My sincere apologies.

With all due respect, I think children don't know or care about labels.... in my mind, they are one of the better examples of Love.

Retard.

Was it your decision to leave the house or His?

It's his if the door is slammed shut through unbelief. WE don't slam the door to salvation, god does. If it were free, belief, or anything else would not be required. We aren't big enough to slam that door, or strong enough to *resist* salvation if it were freely given to us, we would have it regardless.

Of course that's all bullshit, since the whole salvation doctrine is unproven bullshit along with the rest of the crap in the book, but anyway, there is the simple logic of it, dance like a whirling durbish around it all you want, bottom line is it's not free and the common-sense part of your mind knows this.

1) the only evil here is the perversion you are performing on the English language, such that it defies the lexical abilities of a native speaker to decipher the crap you type...

2) what else would a 1st century Jew speak other than Aramaic? Zulu? Cantonese? Esperanto? Klingon? Even if Jesus did speak enough Latin not to get his arse kicked, his primary audience were peasants... fishermen, farmers... and that is hardcore Aramaic territory... Modern Analogy - Iraq has an occupying American force. What language will the Iraqis preach in, or speak in their homes? American English?