Goodbye Jesus

Why Do You Remain A Christian?

Antlerman

When you put the weiner in the oven?

Well, only when the flame from the BBQ licks them. Wait, what are we talking about?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• the stranger

• JayL

• Citsonga

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's be frank.

Or hotdog.

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif They plump when you cook them.

And shrivel when you fry them. :HaHa:

Why should we trust your judgment on digital cameras when you believe in mythical undead rabbis?

Actually that is a very good deal. I am so happy with my Olympus E-PL1 camera.

Ignorant Dumbfuckistani.

Tough crowd here.

Is 8088 a reference to the old Intel CPU? I remember those old 8 bits, like Motorola's 650x and Zilog's Z80.

Yes it is. Thanks for noticing it. I used to work with Intel chips when I was in grad school.

Ironically, Jesus is exactly what the Hebrew God warned his people not to follow.

According to the Bible, to be reconciled with God requires repenting and keeping the law.

Jesus isn't involved.

That is a very interesting view point. Boy, we can talk for hours just on that one point.

Your words sound exactly like every other Christian. I used to talk just like you. Just parroting the baloney other Christians told me.

I am surprised that some people here doubt that I am a Christian. Obviously they have not met too many 'holy roller' types. LOL

Yeah, OK, I do admit that I watched the movie 'Apostle' too many times.... ( Can I hear some amen out there? etc. type talk is from that movie. The churches I attended are far more sedate! I am just trying to have some fun here.... wink.png )

greco8088 tell us all about your testimony of how you became a Christian?

That would be long story. But thanks for asking.

Can I hear some amen out there??

No. In fact, if you don't calm down and start discussing things like a rational human being I'm going to pull out My dictionary and start composing galdr to Alfodr Óðinn in Old Norse.

Yes, I am calming down. I have been watching some Christian TV to psych myself up for this forum. I knew it was going to be a challenge to survive here. So I do take some encouragement by rewatching movies like 'Apostle'. Praise the Lord! Ok. I am Ok.

In other words, Greco, you admit that Jesus did insult that woman by treating her like a non-human pet, rather than treating her with respect.

Well, there is more involved there than meets the eye. You first have to understand that 'racial' relationship between Jews and Canaanites was very toxic - to say the least. Jews routinely called them dogs and refused to have anything to do with them. Jesus was a Jewish rabbi who is well aware of all the Old Testament laws and regulations about dealing with the gentiles.

When this Canaanite woman kept crying out to Jesus to heal her daughter, disciples of Jesus asked him to send her away. And Jesus himself asserted that he was sent by God to Jews and not to gentiles.

" He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.

He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

“Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.

But when Jesus used this little picture of pet puppy in the family, the Canaanite woman rapidly caught on to his drift. She came back with her own reply - 'Shouldn't family puppies eat crumbs from master's table?? '

Jesus was obviously very happy with this exchange. He said, ' Woman, great is your faith!!'

Now you have to understand that Jesus said this kind of praise to only two people in the New Testament!! So this woman was greatly honored by Jesus Christ.

So I would not classify this exchange as an insult. The event is very much rooted in that milieu but there are important theological lessons from this interesting story.

Is 8088 a reference to the old Intel CPU? I remember those old 8 bits, like Motorola's 650x and Zilog's Z80.

Yes it is. Thanks for noticing it. I used to work with Intel chips when I was in grad school.

Those were the best. It was good times.

Murder, war, bloodshed, racism, intolerance, misogyny, cruelty, contradictions, lies, lack of reason, hatred, elitism.. the scriptures are full of obscenities and describe a 'god', and a people that are abhorrent and evil. and a few words from some person, who may not even have existed—at least there is no historical account of this miracle worker, and who is remarkable similar to many other mythological 'saviors' at the time, in the New Testament is supposed to make the rest okay?

no. The only hope in the bible is that the 'god' it describes, and the belief system it promotes is a hateful nasty abhorrent thing. Not worthy of any intelligent, decent or moral persons loyalty.

Think of the Old Testament as human history and the New Testament as revelation of Jesus Christ. Christianity is all about Jesus Christ - specifically his death on the cross and his resurrection.

Well perhaps more relevant question in this forum is 'why am I still a Christian??' 'What do I like about Christianity so much?'

Of course that would take a considerable discourse as well.

But one thing that I have been thinking about recently is this - although you may laugh at this.

Christianity has a lot of compelling dramas!

Art, yes, that is it. Christianity has a huge artistic component. I understand a lot of people here are intellectuals and asking things like 'Prove to me Jesus really existed. How can you tell God exists?' etc.

But I do not think that is where the power of Christianity is.

Take for example the Passion story of Jesus suffering, death and resurrection. In Gospel narrative as handed down to us from 2000 years ago. There is so much power there ! The whole story involves this utter despair and then this miraculous triumph that can inspire so much art - whether literature or painting or music.

Now I happened to think it is all true. But at the same time, I cannot deny the tremendous artistic power of the story narrative. it is really amazing.

For example, when I read Pushkin's Captain's Daughter as a youngster, I was really stirred by the story. And guess what? The emotional tone of the story is very much based on the Gospel narrative. And then of course, Dostoyesvsky, Solzhenitsyn, etc. All these Russian writers were heavily influenced by the New Testament. And I loved these writers even when I was not a Christian. Now I love them more! Same with the music of Bach and stories by Charles Dickens...

The bottomline, we Christians believe that the Gospel account is all true. But the artistic strengths keep us going and living the Christian life. It is not in the brain. It is in the heart. Does this make sense? I will try again sometimes..

Greco, you seriously sound like a troll. All those "hallelujah" and "praise Jesus" stuff. Most people don't repeat conversational stuff like that in posts unless they're just trying to be funny or trolling. It's very hard to take you serious.

Well, I decided to make an entry with a bang. Of course, I may end up going out with an whimper.. But at least I am trying my best.

And have some fun at the same time.

Yes, I will calm down. But who knows? When the Spirit leads? I may go back to praising God just to psych myself up here in this Lion's Den !!!

Yep. I wish I knew about God more - back then. Hmmm.. But better late than never.

Anyhow, thank you all for good conversations. God bless you all and Good night for now.

That would be long story. But thanks for asking.

What a cop out answer, each Christian should be willing and able to answer for the hope that is in them - I await your story, unless of course you are a fake having a laugh!

Your words sound exactly like every other Christian. I used to talk just like you. Just parroting the baloney other Christians told me.

I am surprised that some people here doubt that I am a Christian. Obviously they have not met too many 'holy roller' types. LOL

Yeah, OK, I do admit that I watched the movie 'Apostle' too many times.... ( Can I hear some amen out there? etc. type talk is from that movie. The churches I attended are far more sedate! I am just trying to have some fun here.... wink.png )

You might be a fake or you might be real. Either way, you are cheap entertainment on a Sunday night. :-)

The bottomline, we Christians believe that the Gospel account is all true. But the artistic strengths keep us going and living the Christian life. It is not in the brain. It is in the heart. Does this make sense? I will try again sometimes..

The gospels are contradictory. Think of the nativity.. Its a fairy tale.

It is in the brain. Think of other religions. Its all in the head.

Does this make sense? :)

Think of the Old Testament as human history and the New Testament as revelation of Jesus Christ. Christianity is all about Jesus Christ - specifically his death on the cross and his resurrection.

I'm confused because I thought that when you wade through the incredible blood and gore of the ot you have to study it through JC. In other words you have to see JC in it all. That's what most bible thumpers say. But what you're doing is trying to separate the 2 books which even flies in the face of JC who extolled the ot himself in the various gospel accounts especially Matthew's. Care to elaborate about this?

Calling a foreign woman a dog is not righteous.

Excellent post as usual Astreja. Do you have a reference for the dog bit (!) I must have missed that one. Mind you there's so much shite to wade through in the Bible.

Oh, she must be referring to the time when Jesus called a Canaanite woman as 'dog'. But it is a poor translation. The more accurate translation is 'pet puppie'. So he called her a puppie.

That settles it. This one is most definitely a troll. A repeat troll, in fact, since I remember one of them making this same off-the-wall claim a few months ago.

Yep. I wish I knew about God more - back then. Hmmm.. But better late than never.

I was a fundamentalist Christian back then and was "praising Jesus" all the time, just like you right now. I wish I had known what I know now and not been so extreme. And I'm happy that I left religion behind. I'm free to think now.

That settles it. This one is most definitely a troll. A repeat troll, in fact, since I remember one of them making this same off-the-wall claim a few months ago.

He does sound like JayL.

What a waste of time. A troll.

He does sound like JayL.

Yep. That's the name starting with J that I was trying to remember. I think it's unlikely that two different people would claim that "dog" was a mistranslation of "cute puppy" — unless there's some kind of christian meme to this effect(?). Sounds too stupid to be taken seriously.

I think it's unlikely that two different people would claim that "dog" was a mistranslation of "cute puppy" — unless there's some kind of christian meme to this effect(?). Sounds too stupid to be taken seriously.

That particular apologetic is a popular meme and the Christian apologist Glenn Miller uses it.

http://christianthinktank.com/qcrude.html

Warning: Glenn Miller could rationalize the ears off of a rabbit.