Goodbye Jesus

Two Questions for Christians...

quicksand

This is off topic but

You see?We are 3 parts.Spirit soul and body.
No one has ever explained this to me. What is the difference between a soul and a spirit?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• daniel_1012

• Vixentrox

• Fweethawt

I always heard it as Mind/Body/Soul or Mind/Body/Spirit, giving Soul and Spirit interchangable status.

What is the difference between a Soul and a Spirit? Are they different?

This is off topic but
No one has ever explained this to me. What is the difference between a soul and a spirit?

I think he means body, mind and soul. Its a common prescientific view of humans.

Mind= reason, Soul = our emotions and spiritual essense, Body= well you should be albe to get this one.

Christianity blantanly stole this concept from greek philosophy

Its about as valid as Tolemy's view of the universe or the use of leaches to cure illness

This is off topic but

It's a modern idea that the Soul is you, your will, sinful nature, ego, emotions, thoughts etc, while the Spirit is the spiritual part of you that has a connection to God. When you get "saved" or "born again" your evil and dead spirit gets born again, and becomes a new spirit, and connected to the Holy Spirit.

With the help of this new, fresh spirit, you can become a whole person and stop sinning.

The same way as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit is a trinity, according to this idea, you consist of a trinity too.

Seems like the soul is the whole, and the soul consists of the Mind, Body and Spirit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul

Socrates and Plato

Plato, drawing on the words of his teacher Socrates, considers the soul as the essence of a person, as that which decides how we act. He considered this essence as an incorporeal occupant of our being. The Platonic soul comprises three parts:

the reason (mind or logos)

the appetite (body or passion)

spirit (emotion or pathos).

Each of these has a function in a balanced and peaceful soul.

This is off topic but

Hello Dhampir...

I think it is that God made man from the earth (body/carnal nature) and blew his Spirit into him, and he became a living soul. body+spirit=soul I'm not being graded on this, am I? :twitch:

Ya really like that letter to the Galatians, doncha?  :wicked:

How bout giving us a couple quotes from James or Matthew just to balance things out?  Or maybe 1st Peter:

"Slaves submit yourselves to your masters" 

One of my fav's.

Slaves should submit to their masters, or perhaps you don't grasp the context of this. You must take into accout the time, the place, and the people who this was written too. Do you work for someone? Do you work for "the man?" If not... have you ever? Or, have you had authority over you who made laws? If you live in the United States I imagine so. Slaves should submit to their masters -- the gospel was for them too. See this letter addressing slaves, and allowing them salvation as much as anyone else... no matter your lot in life, though we may think slavery is unfair... I don't think it is anymore unfair than working for someone your entire life so that you can get paid, eat, and whatever else you want to do. These are different times, and slaves... submit to your masters. Salvation is for all people, no matter their 'lot in life.'

Slaves should submit to their masters, or perhaps you don't grasp the context of this.  You must take into accout the time, the place, and the people who this was written too.  Do you work for someone? 

Were you trying to be serious, or funny?

Master / slave relationship the same as employee / employer? :lmao:

Holy cow, dude. The term in Greek is doulos or douloi. It means a slave.

In the bible people inherited each others slaves. They were allowed to beat em, and as long as they got back up within a couple of days, it was ok. Course, if you messed up and knocked the slaves teeth out, then the slave got to go free. The only time you got in trouble is if you killed the slave.

One verse you will not find in the bible: "One human being shall not own another human being and consider them their personal property."

Too bad. Doesn't say much for God.

Amanda --

I respectfully tell you the truth, as to lie would be utterly disrespectful. I retain my former stance, and the words written by Paul to the Galatians.

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-- which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

If God is compassion, mercy, and unconditional love... let's teach that!

...To those for whom these characteristics of God are for, yes.

Psalms 7:10-17

My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart. God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready. He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordaineth his arrows against the persecutors. Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. His mischief shall return upon his own head, and his violent dealing shall come down upon his own pate. I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.

1 Peter 5:5 - Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

God is not a benevolent ball of jelly in the sky, who is lukewarm himself, as he requires that we are not lukewarm... There is black, there is white, and as we show people respect... then respect them by telling them the truth -- respecting others with a lie is actually no respect at all. Just as Paul said this false gospel you are "teaching" is no gospel at all.

...Let's see how God chooses not to respect the wicked.

Genesis 4:5 - But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

Leviticus 19:15 - Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.

Deuteronomy 16:19 - Thou shalt not wrest judgment; thou shalt not respect persons, neither take a gift: for a gift doth blind the eyes of the wise, and pervert the words of the righteous.

There are many many more, and I could go on... but we will go to the New Testiment, so that there is no confusion that God is still no respect of persons.

Acts 10:34-36 - Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

Romans 2:11-13 - For there is no respect of persons with God. For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

And this one is important...

James 2:9 - But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

Now, there are many times where God is recorded as respecting things, and not respecting things... but to say that we should respect all people *hugs all around* and be so wishy washy in our faith that we dare not go more than a teeter on the line of confrontation, is wrong. Confront them that are wrong, or they will be confronted on judgment day -- with eternal punishment.

Now, there are many times where God is recorded as respecting things, and not respecting things... but to say that we should respect all people *hugs all around* and be so wishy washy in our faith that we dare not go more than a teeter on the line of confrontation, is wrong.  Confront them that are wrong, or they will be confronted on judgment day -- with eternal punishment.

Who you trying to convince, daniel? Us, or yourself? If it's us, you better find a new approach.

Or, does it just stroke your ego to threaten people with eternal torment in every post? Make you feel really special? A good soldier doing the work of the Lord.

We've heard it all before. We've said it all before to others. It's old hash that we don't buy anymore.

Amanda --

I respectfully tell you the truth, as to lie would be utterly disrespectful.  I retain my former stance, and the words written by Paul to the Galatians.

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--  which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.  But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!  As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!  Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

...To those for whom these characteristics of God are for, yes.

Psalms 7:10-17

My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart. God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.  If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready.  He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordaineth his arrows against the persecutors.  Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood.  He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made.  His mischief shall return upon his own head, and his violent dealing shall come down upon his own pate.  I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.

1 Peter 5:5 - Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

God is not a benevolent ball of jelly in the sky, who is lukewarm himself, as he requires that we are not lukewarm... There is black, there is white, and as we show people respect... then respect them by telling them the truth -- respecting others with a lie is actually no respect at all.  Just as Paul said this false gospel you are "teaching" is no gospel at all.

...Let's see how God chooses not to respect the wicked.

Genesis 4:5 - But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

Leviticus 19:15 - Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.

Deuteronomy 16:19 - Thou shalt not wrest judgment; thou shalt not respect persons, neither take a gift: for a gift doth blind the eyes of the wise, and pervert the words of the righteous.

There are many many more, and I could go on... but we will go to the New Testiment, so that there is no confusion that God is still no respect of persons.

Acts 10:34-36 - Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

Romans 2:11-13 -  For there is no respect of persons with God. For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

And this one is important...

James 2:9 - But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. 

Now, there are many times where God is recorded as respecting things, and not respecting things... but to say that we should respect all people *hugs all around* and be so wishy washy in our faith that we dare not go more than a teeter on the line of confrontation, is wrong.  Confront them that are wrong, or they will be confronted on judgment day -- with eternal punishment.

:lmao::puke::lmao:

If you are going to believe in the Egyptian concept of hell (which is exactly the source of the christian hell) - you might as well believe in the trinity too. Atum, Horus, and Ra.

Who you trying to convince, daniel?  Us, or yourself?  If it's us, you better find a new approach.

Or, does it just stroke your ego to threaten people with eternal torment in every post?  Make you feel really special?  A good soldier doing the work of the Lord. 

We've heard it all before.  We've said it all before to others.  It's old hash that we don't buy anymore.

Don'tcha know, Mythra, the more times he says it, the truer it becomes. :HaHa:

I know I'm shakin' in my shoes. :Doh:

Thought the bible was for all times and people. The Southern states used the bible as an excuse for slavery. Hell, owning slaves is dandy and biblical. You belive in that shit your fucking god spewed? he could of said slavery was immoral but he didn't.

If you are going to believe in the Egyptian concept of hell (which is exactly the source of the christian hell) - you might as well believe in the trinity too.  Atum, Horus, and Ra.

What about the Feather Judgement thingy? You know, where they take a feather and tickle your ass with it, and if you laugh, you go to hell... :mellow:

Don'tcha know, Mythra, the more times he says it, the truer it becomes.  :HaHa:

I know I'm shakin' in my shoes.  :Doh:

Yeah. Me too. Hope to (hell) I can get to sleep tonight for worrying about it.

This guy must be a salesman for a living. Or a kindergarten teacher.

He subscribes to the rules:

1. Tell em.

2. Tell em again.

3. Tell em that you told em.

4. Remind em that you told em that you told em

5. Repeat.

Daniel. It's cool. We get it. If we fry in hell, we will never claim that you didn't warn us. You're off the hook.

Daniel.  It's cool.  We get it.  If we fry in hell, we will never claim that you didn't warn us.  You're off the hook.
In his own (oft reapeated) words, we shall be "without excuse". :Wendywhatever:

Yeah.  Me too.  Hope to (hell) I can get to sleep tonight for worrying about it.

This guy must be a salesman for a living.  Or a kindergarten teacher. 

He subscribes to the rules:

1.  Tell em.

2.  Tell em again.

3.  Tell em that you told em.

4.  Remind em that you told em that you told em

5.  Repeat.

Daniel.  It's cool.  We get it.  If we fry in hell, we will never claim that you didn't warn us.  You're off the hook.

Actually, in my most recent post I was telling Amanda something... You are welcome to listen in though, as you have. :)

In his own (oft reapeated) words, we shall be "without excuse".  :Wendywhatever:

Do you believe in God's existance? I guess you have to say yes, cause if you don't change your story and say no as you have been, you'll be repeating yourself, which is clearly uncalled for.

And yes you shall. :woohoo:

Do you believe in God's existance?
I prefer to entertain as little-amount of thoughts in my head that need to be "believed", if that's what you're asking.

I guess you have to say yes, cause if you don't change your story and say no as you have been, you'll be repeating yourself, which is clearly uncalled for.
I have no idea what this even means.

And yes you shall.  :woohoo:
OOOOooooo! <--- feelin' the chills

When you say "shall" like that, it kinda turns me on. :wicked:

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Do you believe this?

As the bible says we are NEW CREATURES.Not of this world.Would we then being under the rules of this life?

But the truth is?We are living under 2 sets of rules.The greater is the law of LOVE.

But for the LORDS sake.We obey the laws of the land.

ALL THINGS BECOME NEW.This is very plain.But of course the churches[most]would not agree with this.As they want tithes and workers and fear .These people would not serve them?

But living by FAith and being led by GODS HOLY SPIRIT.Everything would be better.But man does not trust GODS wisdom.

]Because faith cannot be seen.And we want to see everything.And we want it NOW!

Can you see?GOD is kinda like a man ,with a little boy will not not listen or obey.Wanting his way always.The man loves the child,But the child goes his way and soon has big trouble.We are that child and HE is that man?

Can you see?GOD is kinda like a man ,with a little boy will not not listen or obey.Wanting his way always.The man loves the child,But the child goes his way and soon has big trouble.We are that child and HE is that man?

But eventually, the child grows up and the man realizes that the child has outgrown the lifestyle that he wanted for him. Then, once the child starts to see and learn things for himself, the man observes this and asks, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Yes , They grow up? But look at our world. It is a mess, But we have raised these young people. Who many have no feeling even for there familys.

We hear most every day here in this nation, of kids killing there dads and moms.or putting them away. with out any feeling.Do you think this world will get better?

Yes , They grow up? But look at our world.  It is a mess,  But we have raised these young people. Who many have no feeling even for there familys.

We hear most every  day here in this nation,  of kids killing there  dads and moms.or  putting them away.  with out any feeling.Do  you think this world will get better?

Do you somehow think the world was ever less of a mess?

Let me tell you a little something about the good old days. They never existed.