Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

• Like 2

Thank you, I'm still giggling from watching that. Truly made my day!

Welcomes :) I found the video on The Friendly Atheist

it's interesting how many christians wheel out free will when the term does not even appear in the Bible.

It's interesting how many people say that the term freewill doesn't appear in the Bible when it actually does:

http://www.biblegate...&qs_version=KJV

While the words appear, to the best of my recollection the usage it's used in today is not found and not biblical.

The issue isn't how it's used now or what it meant then, but whether or not the term is used. Owen specifically said that the term isn't even in the Bible, but it is.

If one tries to debate a fundie and uses the false claim that the term "freewill" is not used in the Bible, then the fundie could easily see that he's wrong and use that as leverage to claim that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

EDIT to add:

In the list in the link above, there are two Hebrew terms translated "freewill" (most of them are "freewill offering"):

http://www.bluelette...ngs=H5069&t=KJV

http://www.bluelette...ngs=H5071&t=KJV

Both of those are referring to voluntariness, which would only make sense without compulsion, which would mean "freewill" at some level. Though of course they didn't have the "Freewill" theological doctrine all spelled out the way modern Christians mean it, the simple fact is that referring to "freewill" or voluntariness in a general sense carries with it the implication that we have such freedom of the will.

hey look at that, I was wrong. well, i should have checked my Strong's first i guess. However, an argument could be made that the Hebrew terms above are not 'freewill' at all, but 'freewill offering', which is a whole different concept. Saying that Israelites have freewill to bring an offering to the temple is surely not the same as the proposition that God gives us free will to accept or reject him? I think even Calvinists would say that God gives us free will in everyday practical matters. Technicalities aside, even if the term 'freewill' does exist in the Bible, the question is; considering it is such an intrinsic part of the whole system that God uses in his plan of salvation, how come it only appears a couple of times, in the OT, in a completely irrelevant context?

• Like 1

it's interesting how many christians wheel out free will when the term does not even appear in the Bible.

It's interesting how many people say that the term freewill doesn't appear in the Bible when it actually does:

http://www.biblegate...&qs_version=KJV

While the words appear, to the best of my recollection the usage it's used in today is not found and not biblical.

The issue isn't how it's used now or what it meant then, but whether or not the term is used. Owen specifically said that the term isn't even in the Bible, but it is.

If one tries to debate a fundie and uses the false claim that the term "freewill" is not used in the Bible, then the fundie could easily see that he's wrong and use that as leverage to claim that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

EDIT to add:

In the list in the link above, there are two Hebrew terms translated "freewill" (most of them are "freewill offering"):

http://www.bluelette...ngs=H5069&t=KJV

http://www.bluelette...ngs=H5071&t=KJV

Both of those are referring to voluntariness, which would only make sense without compulsion, which would mean "freewill" at some level. Though of course they didn't have the "Freewill" theological doctrine all spelled out the way modern Christians mean it, the simple fact is that referring to "freewill" or voluntariness in a general sense carries with it the implication that we have such freedom of the will.

hey look at that, I was wrong. well, i should have checked my Strong's first i guess. However, an argument could be made that the Hebrew terms above are not 'freewill' at all, but 'freewill offering', which is a whole different concept. Saying that Israelites have freewill to bring an offering to the temple is surely not the same as the proposition that God gives us free will to accept or reject him? I think even Calvinists would say that God gives us free will in everyday practical matters. Technicalities aside, even if the term 'freewill' does exist in the Bible, the question is; considering it is such an intrinsic part of the whole system that God uses in his plan of salvation, how come it only appears a couple of times, in the OT, in a completely irrelevant context?

Though I mostly agree, look again at the two things I've highlighted.

First, not all of the usages are "freewill offering." There is this exception:

I make a decree, that all they of the people of Israel, and of his priests and Levites, in my realm, which are minded
of their own freewill
to go up to Jerusalem, go with thee.

Second, I clearly articulated that the usage is not referring to what is considered the Freewill doctrine. But, like I said, the very mention of "freewill" implies a freedom of the will, at least on some level. The hair-splitting that goes on between calvinists and freewillers immaterial to that point. The Bible doesn't "teach" either side of that debate; both sides take some things in the Bible literally and reinterpret other things to fit.

Third, I am not in any way, shape or form defending the Christian doctrine of Freewill. My point is only that we shouldn't make false claims, such as saying that the term "freewill" isn't even in the Bible. That's all.

One friend of mine on Facebook must be a fundie, 'cause every day it is Bible verse after verse, Christian song links and lyrics, everyone is always praying for her (she has a chronic illness) for strength, etc. I shake my head and skip over most of it! Whenever she is having a bad day, there are people quoting Bible verses to her about how she can do all things through Christ (which, BTW, is one of the things fundies say that really annoys me). I feel sorry for her. Most fundie Christians aren't very good at giving sympathy!

• Like 2

One friend of mine on Facebook must be a fundie, 'cause every day it is Bible verse after verse, Christian song links and lyrics, everyone is always praying for her (she has a chronic illness) for strength, etc. I shake my head and skip over most of it! Whenever she is having a bad day, there are people quoting Bible verses to her about how she can do all things through Christ (which, BTW, is one of the things fundies say that really annoys me). I feel sorry for her. Most fundie Christians aren't very good at giving sympathy!

Christianity: An obsessive compulsive disorder characterized by the afflicted's frequent use of the words Jesus and Christ.

• Like 1

I have one!

Saying that you have to choose between believing in God OR science for the existence of the universe is the same as saying you have to choose between Henry Ford or internal combustion for the existence of a car. John Lennox is flipping brilliant!

Christianity: An obsessive compulsive disorder characterized by the afflicted's frequent use of the words Jesus and Christ.

midniterider, LOL! Good one! And I laugh knowing I was one of them! The preachers tell you if your whole life isn't devoted to Christ, you are not living up to His "standards". Good grief! rolleyes.gif According to fundie preachers, this God is a very demanding god!

• Like 1

I have one!

Saying that you have to choose between believing in God OR science for the existence of the universe is the same as saying you have to choose between Henry Ford or internal combustion for the existence of a car. John Lennox is flipping brilliant!

Who the hell is John Lennox? I wouldn't exactly use the words "flipping brilliant" to describe him!

Who the hell is John Lennox? I wouldn't exactly use the words "flipping brilliant" to describe him!

According to wikipedia he's a mathematician and Christian apologist...

Mathmetician and apologist? I wouldn't trust his math if he can't add 1+1 to see xianity is bull droppings.

• Like 4

Today's gem. And I'm thinking, should I respond or not? It's posted by a former pastor of mine.

PEACE

is not the

ABSENCE of

TROUBLE

but the

PRESENCE of

CHRIST

Hmmm. What to respond:

(1) Peace is the absence of Christ.

(2) Christ is the presence of trouble.

(3) Peace is having Christ do even one thing he said he'd do. Still waiting.

(4) There is only one way to peace, and it's atheism.

Meh.

• Like 1

All of the above.

Positivist,

Yeah, it's all a delusion. You feel peace as a Christian because you think God is going to do something about your circumstances or work something "good" out of it, but it is just a delusion. Things will work out or they won't, that's all there is to it!

Today's gem. And I'm thinking, should I respond or not? It's posted by a former pastor of mine.

PEACE

is not the

ABSENCE of

TROUBLE

but the

PRESENCE of

CHRIST

Hmmm. What to respond:

(1) Peace is the absence of Christ.

(2) Christ is the presence of trouble.

(3) Peace is having Christ do even one thing he said he'd do. Still waiting.

(4) There is only one way to peace, and it's atheism.

Meh.

I would think peace is the absence of troublesome thought.

• Like 1

Positivist,

Yeah, it's all a delusion. You feel peace as a Christian because you think God is going to do something about your circumstances or work something "good" out of it, but it is just a delusion. Things will work out or they won't, that's all there is to it!

Oh, I forgot...If you don't feel peace, you inevitably hear, "Let go and let God." wacko.png

This was one of my friend's status updates today:

"We must approach God in faith, without seeing proof in the natural realm. We must learn to believe Him without seeing Him"

Yeah, I used to do that, but look where I'm at now!

• Like 1

This was one of my friend's status updates today:

"We must approach God in faith, without seeing proof in the natural realm. We must learn to believe Him without seeing Him"

Yeah, I used to do that, but look where I'm at now!

WHY MUST WE DO THAT THO???? why?

• Like 1

An upper-middle-class friend from high school (lives with her parents and they bought her a car) looking for a second summer job:

Interview at Starbucks whattt? God is so good.

...Wonder if he's planning to save a few jobs for the homeless people who can barely afford to eat?

What a stupid moron.

Sorry if that's offensive.

If you don't feel peace, you inevitably hear, "Let go and let God." wacko.png

I think atheism could use another tag line:

Let go and let of God.

If you let God take the reins, be prepared to be run right off the cliff! Eek!

Let go and let of God.

Reminds me of that Carrie Underwood song, "Jesus take the wheel". A lot of fuckin good that'll do ya.

Let go and let of God.

Reminds me of that Carrie Underwood song, "Jesus take the wheel". A lot of fuckin good that'll do ya.

LOL! Yes, it's a wee bit suicidal, isn't it?

• Like 2

Let go and let of God.

LOL! Yes, it's a wee bit suicidal, isn't it?

543288_390874444265959_168146169872122_1283679_150724393_n.jpg

• Like 1