Goodbye Jesus

In Between Churches

JayL

Yeah, that is right! Natural selection can generate information?? Information on the scale of a living cell?? Give me a freaking break!

For having a degree in physics, you're extremely ignorant and uneducated about biology.

With answers like this, I really feel like I am talking to a stone age tree worshipper. Do you have any idea the scope of the claim the evolutionary theory makes?? And that there are so little evidence to back it up??

Little evidence? Sorry. Bzzt. Wrong.

A fun program in BBC:

Can The Bible and Darwin Both Be Right?

https://www.youtube....feature=related

You really don't understand what you're talking about. I suggest that you go to your local community college and take a class in physical anthropology to learn about the evidence instead of making dumb claims.

Can you think of one application from the theory of Darwinian evolution?? ( Nazi Eugenics experiments will not count! )

Tracing heritage by comparing markers. The fact that mutations leave traces through generations has been used to identify the lineage and movement of our ancestors back to Africa.

Anyone in medicinal research must understand evolutionary processes.

Unfortunately, the lack of accepting and understanding evolution has led to things like MRSA. Bacteria adapted to the unnecessary high dosages and usage of broad spectrum antibiotics. Now, there are new kinds showing up that are even worse than MRSA. MRSA is resistant to all, but one, medication (IIRC). But the new strains (that didn't exist before) are fully resistant. This could have been avoided with different protocols and better awareness of how evolution works. But insurance companies push for the broad spectrum because it's cheaper for them to daisy bomb any infection.

Besides, evolutionary algorithms are used in technology today. Advanced routers, games, and process control systems, even some predictive management support systems use advanced genetic algorithms to resolve problems faster than programmers trying to pre-program algorithms for fixed solutions.

So it works. It's used. And the evidence is actually piling up in many museums as we speak. Only people who refuse to see the truth and reality are missing it.

I can't wait for jayL to get out of church service so we can be treated with the next round of: "Wow those are great questions and they are so well written. I'm glad that you are searching. You guys are great writers. I love good questions. I'm going to show you the way."

'Toy story' was written by humans.

Just like the Bible.

'Toy Story' never inspired wars or murder in the name of the author.

• Like 1

'Toy story' was written by humans.

Just like the Bible.

'Toy Story' never inspired wars or murder in the name of the author.

It hasn't been long enough, so we haven't seen it yet. Maybe there will be a "Toy Story War" 200 years from now. :shrug:

You can get some real, supernatural answers from God. When I am in a jam, I pray to God. Neither the plastic toy nor Miss Rawlings is much help in times like that !!

You get the same answers and help as you would praying to Scooby. Everyone who has ever had a deity they prayed to experiences the same self-delusions when they chant, pray, beg, sing, and have imaginary conversations with their god(s).

For about two million years humans got along just fine without Yahweh and without Trinity. They didn't need your God at all. And every problem that was solved was solved through human effort. The other animals have never prayed to your god and many of them solve their problems. Not praying works.

Jesus preached atheism. Just look at the parable of the lilies in the field. The birds and lilies have everything they need and not one of them prays or worships imaginary creatures in the sky. When shit happens, they move on. They don't agonize over the meaning of it all, nor do they seem too disturbed by it for very long.

• Like 1

God never gave Moses the law of sacrifice, which makes the scribes who wrote the law a bunch of liars and it also makes the whole Jesus as a perfect sacrifice a total mythological account.

• Like 1

<< We know more about the nature of evolution than about gravity. >>

Are you saying that the theory of evolution is on a better footing than theory of gravity.

Yes

You must be aware that the theory of gravity has been used in all sorts of applications - like positioning of communication satellites or predicting orbit of comet or controlling Apollo lunar modules.

Can you think of one application from the theory of Darwinian evolution?? ( Nazi Eugenics experiments will not count! )

The science of gravity whether well understood or not is still of better evidence than evidence supporting religious doctrine.

Are you saying that the theory of evolution is on a better footing than theory of gravity.

Yes

You must be aware that the theory of gravity has been used in all sorts of applications - like positioning of communication satellites or predicting orbit of comet or controlling Apollo lunar modules.

Evolutionary medicine for starters. New antibiotics and treatment methods are being divised to combat drug resistant bacteria. Failing to take evolutionary principles into account is what led to those drug resistant bacteria in the first place. Then there are viruses. You know why bird flu and swine flu are named what they are, right. They are strains of the flu that were previously only infectious to birds and swine. Those strains have since evolved to become infectious to humans. Evolutionary medicine has led to many advancements in the treatment of HIV. Did you know that to date we have actually developed six different cures to HIV. The problem with treating it is that the HIV virus is one of the fastest evolving viruses we know of. If you give an infected person one of the cures their virus count will drop down nearly to zero but will start to rise again despite continued treatments with that drug. The HIV virus evolves over the course of a single infection into a strain that is immune to any of the cures that are administered. Knowing this we can apply evolutionary principles to treatment. Treatment with one of the drugs is followed by a period of no treatment at all. During the periods of 'no treatment' there is no selective preasure to keep the HIV virus immune. This allows for genetic drift and over time the virus becomes more suseptable to those drugs again. By cycling through the available drugs with periods of no treatment in between allows previously used drugs to become effective again. A patients viral count can be kept at a lower level over an extended period of time, greatly extending their life expectancy.

You can get some real, supernatural answers from God. When I am in a jam, I pray to God. Neither the plastic toy nor Miss Rawlings is much help in times like that !!

You get the same answers and help as you would praying to Scooby. Everyone who has ever had a deity they prayed to experiences the same self-delusions when they chant, pray, beg, sing, and have imaginary conversations with their god(s).

Actually, Scooby answers lots of questions! He has a better track record than any deity.

Actually, Scooby answers lots of questions! He has a better track record than any deity.

Tremble heathen before the awesome glory of the Goddess.

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/Scripture/Proof_Google_Is_God.html

She answers prayer.

I stand corrected. You can *see* Scooby, too, which is another notch in his favor.

Yes

Evolutionary medicine for starters. New antibiotics and treatment methods are being divised to combat drug resistant bacteria. Failing to take evolutionary principles into account is what led to those drug resistant bacteria in the first place. Then there are viruses. You know why bird flu and swine flu are named what they are, right. They are strains of the flu that were previously only infectious to birds and swine. Those strains have since evolved to become infectious to humans. Evolutionary medicine has led to many advancements in the treatment of HIV. Did you know that to date we have actually developed six different cures to HIV. The problem with treating it is that the HIV virus is one of the fastest evolving viruses we know of. If you give an infected person one of the cures their virus count will drop down nearly to zero but will start to rise again despite continued treatments with that drug. The HIV virus evolves over the course of a single infection into a strain that is immune to any of the cures that are administered. Knowing this we can apply evolutionary principles to treatment. Treatment with one of the drugs is followed by a period of no treatment at all. During the periods of 'no treatment' there is no selective preasure to keep the HIV virus immune. This allows for genetic drift and over time the virus becomes more suseptable to those drugs again. By cycling through the available drugs with periods of no treatment in between allows previously used drugs to become effective again. A patients viral count can be kept at a lower level over an extended period of time, greatly extending their life expectancy.

Ok I do grant that evolutionary medicine can be seen as an application. Even most intelligent design proponents agree with biological adaptation and microscopic evolution. But can the evolution explain the origin and proliferation of life on the earth??

The answer is STILL resounding NO.

Even JK Rawlings beats your stupid Scooby.

Don't start bad-mouthing Scooby!!

Ok I do grant that evolutionary medicine can be seen as an application. Even most intelligent design proponents agree with biological adaptation and microscopic evolution.

Ah but what mechanism prevents evolution on the macro scale? There is nothing that could do this so the evidence that species came to be through diversity supports the truth.

But can the evolution explain the origin and proliferation of life on the earth??

That is because you are asking the wrong question. If instead you asked the proper question - "Can evolution explain the proliferation of life on Earth?" then the answer is yes. Abiogenesis addresses the origin. Evolution does not.

Now what explanation do we get from religion? Just "The Creator did it". That isn't a proper explanation.

Ok I do grant that evolutionary medicine can be seen as an application. Even most intelligent design proponents agree with biological adaptation and microscopic evolution. But can the evolution explain the origin and proliferation of life on the earth??

Evolution makes no claims as to the origin of life. Nobody who knows what they are talking about pretends that it does. In fact, if you are dealing strictly with evolution, the origin of life doesn't matter.

As for micro vs macro, there is no difference except for scale. Macro evolution is micro evolution over longer time scales. There isn't even a distinction drawn within biology. Its only lay people who use these terms.

Well.... I have not seen too many paintings of Venus with her clothes on ...

Ah. The troll is back.

So who are you, really?

Several members have raised the issue that you might be spoofing and only here to troll. It's time to fess up.

Ok, I fess up. Why am I here?

I am here to remind you that God loves you and there are some minor mistakes in your thinking. I am here to clarify some issues and to have good conversations.

Then please tell us where we are going wrong Jay, when it comes to the spiritual worship of God.

Romans 12:1 & 2.

1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

2 Do not be conformed to this world,but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Please clarify what 'spiritual worship' is.

Thanks,

BAA.

Any chance you could tell us what spiritual worship is, Jay?

BAA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/books/alvin-plantingas-new-book-on-god-and-science.html

Yes, one can be a first rate philosopher and also a Dutch Reformed Church believer.

Ah. The troll is back.

So who are you, really?

Several members have raised the issue that you might be spoofing and only here to troll. It's time to fess up.

I am here to remind you that God loves you and there are some minor mistakes in your thinking. I am here to clarify some issues and to have good conversations.

Then please tell us where we are going wrong Jay, when it comes to the spiritual worship of God.

1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

2 Do not be conformed to this world,but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Thanks,

BAA.

BAA.

Ah. The troll is back.

So who are you, really?

Thanks,

BAA.

BAA.

To me, this means surrendering one's life to God.

I'm doing better with my own life than 'god' ever did - not surprising since it's either non existent or just uninterested.

I'm doing better with my own life than 'god' ever did - not surprising since it's either non existent or just uninterested.

My feeling is that if you do have an encounter with the true God - God who is Love - your life would get even better.

My feeling is that if you do have an encounter with the true God - God who is Love - your life would get even better.

Your feelings are cute. But they're WROOONG!