Goodbye Jesus

ISRAEL PROVES THE EXISTENCE OF GOD

Fish153

And has been mentioned numerous times already, the fact the bible gets names/locations correct is of the same value as the fact that Harry Potter gets names/locations correct.

• Like 1

And yet to be explored...

In which written language did Moses supposedly chronicle all the rich detail of how the universe was created, how Adam and Eve fell from grace and committed original sin, and how Noah constructed an ark and preserved all the animals on earth today?

Genesis contains a lot of very specific detail of these things, which the Christian faith attributes to a verbal account given from the mouth of God himself.

If we do not have a reliable provenance of the book of Genesis, then the rest of the bible is just literature and mythology.

Hierophant--

There are literally THOUSANDS of Hindu "gods". The Bible teaches there is one God in three Persons. I could go into long explanations but let's just say I have studied many religions, and also "cults" also. I can discount many of them easily.

The Mormons (one of the cults) have scriptures that claim "millions" of people lived in North America in great cities. However, archeologists can find NONE of these cities. The Bible had place names that existed exactly where the Bible says they were. In fact archeologists have CONFIRMED the Bible to be true historically by discovering such peoples as the "Hittites" (many mocked the Bible for the Hittites until it was PROVEN that they did exist).

As for the main "religions"-- they all have God's we must search for--- while Christianity has a God searching for us. "Adam, where are you?"(He knew where he was-- he wanted Adam to acknowledge his sin). But He was looking for Adam-- Adam wasn't looking for God.  This God is VERY different than the other world religion's gods. So I have discovered which God is true.  I know you don't believe in Him and that's your prerogative.

• Super Moderator

At least we have you thinking about evidence now. So by the same standard you do not believe people lived in the US a la Joseph Smith, I hold that same standard about the Exodus story.

29 minutes ago, Fish153 said:

The BIBLE is a far more reliable book than the Koran.

Why do you say that? I just know in my heart that the Koran is 10 times more reliable than the bible. 

29 minutes ago, Fish153 said:

The Bible is the Word of God. The Koran is the Word of Muhammad-- a man from 600 A.D.

The bible is the word of men but the Koran is the word of Allah! Let's praise his holy name. 

• Thanks 1

Oh really? Has Harry Potter predicted then located ancient civilizations like the Hittites? I don't recall that. But maybe I was under the wrong sorting hat.

Midnite--

The Koran bases most of its sources on the Bible. Go ahead and Praise Allah though-- you probably do that Allah the time I bet.

• Super Moderator

Why do you think the existence of the Hittites vindicates the Bible? If anything, the Bible made the claim, people were skeptical, then evidence was found, and guess what....they changed their minds. Just like all of us would do if the other claims of the Bible had evidence to support it.

Hierophant-- understood. Yes-- they have not found the archeological evidence yet for the Exodus so I see your point. But most of the Bible is accurate both geographically and historically. In fact, many archeologists have been amazed at it's accuracy-- both for locations, but also time periods (when certain ancient kings reigned, etc). But, agreed-- the Exodus must be accepted on faith alone at this time.

40 minutes ago, Fish153 said:

Walter--- No. Not just in the minds of believers. The people of Israel believe it whole-heartedly (even Jewish atheists cannot ignore the "odds" that this could happen). I think many people find this "coincidence"(the WORD the doubtful would use) a little hard to just "write off". It is a bit too strange to just ignore. It would be like walking into a new house for the first time, and then receiving the deed to the house in the mail the next day.

You may wish to study the differences among and between non-sequitur, coincidence, correlation and causation.  It may help mitigate your frequent reliance on confirmation, expectancy and other cognitive biases.

Hierophant-- LOL. So the discovery of the Hittites is not good enough for you huh? Even though many scoffed at the idea such a people existed. Then it is PROVEN they did exist. People "changed their minds"?  Of course they did. They acknowledged THE BIBLE WAS RIGHT. What's your point?

Sdelsoray---

Thank you for your intelligent and intuitive advice. My laser array system is fluctuating at minus 80 arculus. Is this inherent in its cognitive post-manipulative spectrometry, or is Fragmentation occurring due to quasi molecularity? I adjusted the positronic vacuum doltometer with little success. It doesn't seem to vacate at nesmesitic horizons as forecast by my innoculator/germsovosic colonizers. ShouldbI lessen the pull towards arculus or stabilize the vonsonic refractors?

• Super Moderator
7 minutes ago, Fish153 said:

Hierophant-- LOL. So the discovery of the Hittites is not good enough for you huh? Even though many scoffed at the idea such a people existed. Then it is PROVEN they did exist. People "changed their minds"?  Of course they did. They acknowledged THE BIBLE WAS RIGHT. What's your point?

My point is that evidence should drive belief. If there is abundant, and overwhelming evidence, then it should be believed. And that is exactly where I stand with the belief of a God, the supernatural, etc. If it cannot be shown, then it cannot be known. Just taking things on faith can lead to all sorts of wacky and insane ideas.

8 minutes ago, Fish153 said:

Sdelsoray---

Thank you for your intelligent and intuitive advice. My laser array system is fluctuating at minus 80 arculus. Is this inherent in its cognitive post-manipulative spectrometry, or is Fragmentation occurring due to quasi molecularity? I adjusted the positronic vacuum doltometer with little success. It doesn't seem to vacate at nesmesitic horizons as forecast by my innoculator/germsovosic colonizers. ShouldbI lessen the pull towards arculus or stabilize the vonsonic refractors?

I ignore feigned nonsense.  I suggest your take up your questions with the characters in your Jesus Action Figure Set™.

@Fish153,

Do you believe truly believe that Noah constructed an ark and carried on it 2 of each animal on earth (or 5 of the 'clean' animals), that every living non-human creature on earth today other than fish and other water creatures descended from those animals on board the ark?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fish153 said:

By your reckoning does the discovery of the Minoans validate the gods of the Greek Pantheon? 

HOMER'S ODYSSEY WAS RIGHT.

Homer's Odyssey speaks of a wealthy island civilization in which bulls feature prominently.  This was considered mythical until recently when the Minoan civilization was discovered.  The fact that ancient people knew of then contemporary civilizations does not validate the whole of the writing.

I'm sure you would agree the Odyssey contains a mixture of factual history and fiction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fish, have you ever been diagnoised with a psychiatric disorder?

6 hours ago, Fish153 said:

Oh really? Has Harry Potter predicted then located ancient civilizations like the Hittites? I don't recall that. But maybe I was under the wrong sorting hat.

The bible didn't predict Hittites, people wrote about them in the bible. There is a difference between recording something and predicting a future event. Their existence (the Hittites) was confirmed with EVIDENCE.

Homer wrote about Troy, we thought that was just a story... until we found Troy. It's existence was confirmed with EVIDENCE.

Wahoo, Homer predicted Troy. lets worship him. Praise be to Homer who wrote about Troy.

However just like the discovery of Troy is not evidence for Achilles whose only vulnerability was his heel, so Hittites (or any other thing you are claiming - like Israel) is NOT evidence for God.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

@Fish153, if you're going to discount the Koran because it was written after the fact, then I suggest you come up with a good explanation for when somebody asks you when the gospels about jesus were written.  It's bound to come up sometime.

I'd also recommend, before discounting the Koran because it just copied a lot from the Torah and bible,  that you study up on how much of jesus' teachings were taught by the Buddha 500 years before jesus was supposedly born.  And by Confucius before him.

• Like 2

Weezer-- have I ever been diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder? No, not that I know of. But my doctor did warn I might be going crazy if I see two sentences repeated in a row while I'm reading. But my doctor did warn I might be going crazy if I see two sentences repeated in a row while I'm reading.

• Haha 1

Well do you believe the story of Noah and the ark?

• Haha 3

Thanks dselsoray. Apostle Paul action figure what is "feigned nonsense"?

Paul: "you usually find that on deconversion boards from the people ganging up on a Christian."

Oh thanks so much Apostle Paul action figure, much appreciated".

10 minutes ago, Fish153 said:

Thanks dselsoray. Apostle Paul action figure what is "feigned nonsense"?

Paul: "you usually find that on deconversion boards from the people ganging up on a Christian."

Oh thanks so much Apostle Paul action figure, much appreciated".

The purpose of the Lion's Den is to have a place where believers can be free to proselytize, if they are so inclined.

But you enter knowing that the spectators outnumber you.

This is ex-christian.net, not Redit.

Believe me Fish, for most of my life I could never have imagined it possible that I would find myself here. I believed. That belief was part of who I believed myself to be. Things change..

I never allowed myself to question the bible.

Not critically, and not with any true intellectual honesty.

For example, the proposition that Noah could have had on board a wooden ship two of each (land) animal on earth. Or that Tasmanian Devils could find their way back to Tasmania after the flood subsided.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fish153 said:

Krowb--

That means NOTHING. I can find scholars that say the DEAD SEA SCROLLS have nothing to do with the Quran and Muhammad.  How could they? The scrolls were written 70 A.D. or BEFORE (A confirmed fact). Muhammad didn't even exist before 600 A.D.  That scholar is extremely ignorant.

Actually the Muslims have just as much right to claim the old testament as their foundation as the Christians do. The only difference is you have Jesus and they have Muhammad. After all they are the children of Ishmael are they not. ? The old testament is more so theirs than yours really. 

• Like 1

Alreadygone--

No-- I don't think the "Lion's den" is designed for Christians to preach what they believe or proselytize (did I spell that right?) I may be wrong but I think another area of the board is designed for that. A "Lion's den" is where Daniel was thrown. He wasn't thrown there to make converts. He was thrown there to be a meal for large felines. Correct me if I'm wrong Red. But this place is designed for Christians to be placed at the mercy of the lions.