Goodbye Jesus

Open Club  ·  34 members  ·  Rules

OPINE CLUB

Vaccine awareness 😉

florduh

• Super Moderator
2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I agree we need a new "movement", but it is hard to "trump" (I hate to us that word, but it is all that came to mind) flamboyant, self proclaimed, "god given" experts.  Do you have any idea as to getting a rational, evidence based movement off the ground?

Sadly, in general the pendulum is swinging toward authoritarianism. People once again seem to want a strong leader/organization to tell them what to do and think - especially those who ironically claim to value their "freedom" and "individuality." Emotional appeal, fear, paranoia, black and white thinking and distrust of education, science and facts rule the day. Many would rather base their personal identity on something that can fit on a bumper sticker instead of doing any research or thinking on their own. Even when their organization/leadership is disgraced, indicted, convicted and totally exposed - they persist. Jim Bakker, Peter Popoff, the RCC, Scientology and of course political examples both too numerous to list and also proscribed from this forum.

7 hours ago, florduh said:

Sadly, in general the pendulum is swinging toward authoritarianism. People once again seem to want a strong leader/organization to tell them what to do and think - especially those who ironically claim to value their "freedom" and "individuality." Emotional appeal, fear, paranoia, black and white thinking and distrust of education, science and facts rule the day. Many would rather base their personal identity on something that can fit on a bumper sticker instead of doing any research or thinking on their own. Even when their organization/leadership is disgraced, indicted, convicted and totally exposed - they persist. Jim Bakker, Peter Popoff, the RCC, Scientology and of course political examples both too numerous to list and also proscribed from this forum.

Hmm..... thats why I fear liberal democrats. They control the majority of media outlets, if you don't agree with what they say your labeled a racist, deplorable, fanatic, extremist, and basically considered an idiot. Your wary of the vaccine?  Oh yeah your an anti-vaxer. And trying to tell them you just want to give it time, being cautious, knowing the research was rushed, isn't good enough. I took the damn thing for one reason. I want to see my son graduate bootcamp. I wanted to give it a few more months to see how it went. So far I'm not impressed with it. But it is being pushed down our throats that we need to take it, don't question it, trust us, exactly what you are describing. I'm sorry, as much as I love my country, I do not trust those in power. Red Or Blue. Wish the libertarians could get a foothold. 🤔 

7 hours ago, Weezer said:

I hate to us that word,

It's just a word Weezer. And we've had worse presidents. He really didn't actually do much in his presidency that couldn't be reversed easily. 

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Wish the libertarians could get a foothold.

Yeah, they're totally different...😆

10 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

I do not trust those in power.

Neither do I, but I have to trust worldwide scientific consensus, especially when it has been demonstrated to be correct. Do your own statistical and factual research and ignore any advice from politicians as their only goal is to rope in a few more voters with each pronouncement they make. See what works, what has evidence.

3 hours ago, florduh said:

Yeah, they're totally different...😆

Well they fit my happy medium between the two major parties for me. I really hate the two extremes of the dems and reps. So yeah.... guess that's just me. 

3 hours ago, florduh said:

Do your own statistical and factual research and ignore any advice from politicians as their only goal is to rope in a few more voters with each pronouncement they make. See what works, what has evidence.

Which was why I wanted to take my time and watch. See what really happens to people I know who take the vaccine. Once I saw more people not having any issues. I would have taken it on my own accord. I really don't like being forced to do it, just So I can see my own son. But I guess eh whatever. Hopefully all my worries were for nothing.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

Which was why I wanted to take my time and watch. See what really happens to people I know who take the vaccine. Once I saw more people not having any issues. I would have taken it on my own accord. I really don't like being forced to do it, just So I can see my own son. But I guess eh whatever. Hopefully all my worries were for nothing.

I think the difference is that I grew up seeing hospital wards filled with iron lungs, smallpox had already scarred a number of people I knew, and mumps, measles and rubella were taking a big toll on schoolmates and were actually very serious when adults contracted those "childhood diseases." When we finally had vaccines to stop the carnage, nobody had to be convinced to do their part to keep society safer and healthier. Politics, fear and suspicion wasn't the issue it is today. We have had time to see the efficacy (and safety) of masks and vaccines, the hard data is in, yet people continue to resist even as the virus spikes and spawns new variants. It's kind of bewildering.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, florduh said:

We have had time to see the efficacy (and safety) of masks and vaccines, the hard data is in, yet people continue to resist even as the virus spikes and spawns new variants. It's kind of bewildering.

It would surely help if the FDA would fully approve the COVID vaccines.  They have received Emergency approval only.  That was 8 months ago now.  What are they waiting for?  This is the kind of thing that gives skeptics pause.  Speaking as a guy who got his second shot in early April.  

5 hours ago, florduh said:

I think the difference is that I grew up seeing hospital wards filled with iron lungs, smallpox had already scarred a number of people I knew, and mumps, measles and rubella were taking a big toll on schoolmates and were actually very serious when adults contracted those "childhood diseases." When we finally had vaccines to stop the carnage, nobody had to be convinced to do their part to keep society safer and healthier. Politics, fear and suspicion wasn't the issue it is today. We have had time to see the efficacy (and safety) of masks and vaccines, the hard data is in, yet people continue to resist even as the virus spikes and spawns new variants. It's kind of bewildering.

I dont find it bewildering. It's a different type of vaccine than what you saw with small pocks, measles, etc. It was developed in under a year, so the "Hard Data" isn't in at all. We are seeing the data for this vaccine for the first time. How many years of testing did the vaccines your talking about go through? I'm hedging my bets on more than a year. I don't know. I wasn't alive when they were made. This vaccine came out and blood clotting is a legitimate side effect linked to them. That's serious, very serious. My great grandmother died of a blood clot to the lung. By grandma had a stroke that kick started her dementia, and my uncle had a stroke after the first shot. 

So tell me now why is it so bewildering not to want to take it? To give it time? To wait and watch? There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to have more evidence. And not wanting to see things like a Johnson and Johnson recall, or a delta variant infecting even the vaccinated. It would be nice to see that it is the miracle cure they made it out to be. Why should I take a shot so I can be A symptomatic and still spread the shit, when I already was almost Asymptomatic to begin with? If it isn't going to stop me from getting it or spreading it. What's the point? How is that doing the right thing for society? What about doing the right thing for ME. Maybe it is the right thing. But I shouldn't have felt forced to do it. 

If it did what those vaccines that you took did, I would be the first one in line to volunteer my arm for the needle. But that isn't what we are seeing is it? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TABA said:

It would surely help if the FDA would fully approve the COVID vaccines.  They have received Emergency approval only.  That was 8 months ago now.  What are they waiting for?  This is the kind of thing that gives skeptics pause.

My hunch is that next they will claim the FDA is corrupt, that it was rushed through, etc. If the CDC isn't believed, why the FDA?

Meme:

CDC.jpg

5 hours ago, TABA said:

It would surely help if the FDA would fully approve the COVID vaccines.  They have received Emergency approval only.  That was 8 months ago now.  What are they waiting for?  This is the kind of thing that gives skeptics pause.  Speaking as a guy who got his second shot in early April.  

Exactly 💯! That is the biggest argument I've heard from people I'm in contact with. "It's not even FDA approved" and they are right. Emergency approval is not the same security as ALL OTHER VACCINES WE'VE EVER TAKEN. 

3 minutes ago, Fuego said:

My hunch is that next they will claim the FDA is corrupt, that it was rushed through, etc. If the CDC isn't believed, why the FDA?

Meme:

CDC.jpg

I would feel a lot more comfortable if they were both completely on the same page with the vaccine. The FDAs job is to make sure medicines are thoroughly tested and safe for human consumption. Sure a CDC recommendation is great. But that doesn't negate the need for extensive testing. Ya really do have to wonder why the FDA isn't putting their final seal of approval if it's all its cracked up to be. 

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Exactly 💯! That is the biggest argument I've heard from people I'm in contact with. "It's not even FDA approved" and they are right. Emergency approval is not the same security as ALL OTHER VACCINES WE'VE EVER TAKEN. 

Did you know that almost 8,000 FDA approved drugs have been recalled? FDA approval is not a 100% guarantee and neither is anything else. But we have a serious situation...

238854625_10165626385225716_6572700644810964260_n.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

It was developed in under a year

Not really. They've been working on mRNA as a vaccine vector since about 2008. But they are doing actual research and that takes time and a lot of testing on non-humans first. The initial vaccines for this virus have had very few serious side effects, and nearly all new drugs tend to have some serious side effects for some people (remember the long list of horrible side effects on TV adverts for medicines?) Here's a blurb from 3 years ago talking about the research that had been going on for 10 years previously. It is new for use on humans, but the effects so far for the vast majority are a week or two of aches and odd feeling during the natural immune response to a virus (just the protein cover in this case) for which humans have no existing defense. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243?fbclid=IwAR3__H1z-bkYusKdu6NoKhSaRmbo1v54Ly6MfU9OgCQ2ZYnzn85IkXm6OXE

And the FDA is doing serious research on the effects, and tabulating them using real science. Even with the emergency rush, they can't just rubber stamp it and call it science. 

8 minutes ago, florduh said:

Did you know that almost 8,000 FDA approved drugs have been recalled? FDA approval is not a 100% guarantee and neither is anything else. But we have a serious situation...

238854625_10165626385225716_6572700644810964260_n.jpg

And? 

You can't say it wouldn't be nice to see them both agree. Your only proving my point. The FDA could do their testing and find something bad and recall all three vaccines. Then what? Do I get to say I told ya so? 

6 minutes ago, Fuego said:

just the protein cover in this case) for which humans have no existing defense. 

I actually talked to @TheRedneckProfessor about this and he told me about that.it made me a lot more comfortable with it at the time. But I still wanted to go talk to my heart doctor about it before I took it. I didn't get the chance. 

I figured the MRNA part of it had been in the works. But this is the first of its kind is being used on a new virus. I don't know what they were testing it on before. Maybe Sars? If so it would make sense that they used it for covid. 

If they want more vaccine acceptance then they need to get full support from the FDA and CDC and do a better job of communicating to the average citizen about how it works. Just as I felt better after talking to the professor. I'm sure many more would feel more comfortable as well. Instead of just being told. Hey you need to take this ASAP.  

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

And? 

You can't say it wouldn't be nice to see them both agree. Your only proving my point. The FDA could do their testing and find something bad and recall all three vaccines. Then what? Do I get to say I told ya so? 

There's a fire raging out of control more each day. Watch it eventually burn everything or give the only fire extinguisher you have a chance to work. I think you, and others, just want the efforts to end the pandemic to fail for some unfathomable reason. Good luck, folks, I can't even anymore.

I think we hijacked @Joshpantera thread enough. We should probably discuss this here. @florduh  @Fuego @TABA @TheRedneckProfessor

2 minutes ago, florduh said:

There's a fire raging out of control more each day. Watch it eventually burn everything or give the only fire extinguisher you have a chance to work. I think you, and others, just want the efforts to end the pandemic to fail for some unfathomable reason. Good luck, folks, I can't even anymore.

Opened a thread in opine club for this

@florduhThere's a fire raging out of control more each day. Watch it eventually burn everything or give the only fire extinguisher you have a chance to work. I think you, and others, just want the efforts to end the pandemic to fail for some unfathomable reason. Good luck, folks, I can't even anymore.

No the fuck I don't. I'm tired of stupid ass extremist shit ass comments like this just because some of us would like full fucking approval. And time to make our own damn decision without it being forced down our damn throats. 

• Super Moderator
28 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Opened a thread in opine club for this

Thank you.

To tone it down a little. Concerning your burning house analogy. Your a lot older than me. YOU are at a greater risk than me. Your house is the one that needs the extinguisher.  Professionals are already saying that this virus isn't going to go away anytime soon if ever. Basically it's the new flu. You NEED to take the vaccine. Just as you should take the flu shot, shingles,  pneumonia, etc. You are more susceptible. If I were in your shoes I would take it. I just wouldn't be an asshole and expect everyone to take it whether they want it or not. 

I've made some pretty bold claims for some of you I'm sure. Here is a Washington post article for your enjoyment. Not extremist over the top right wing news. Just the Washington post. I posted this on my FB and don't think FB even allowed it into ppls news feed. As it doesn't paint the prettiest picture for the popular narrative. But the weren't able to put their little fact checker bullshit on there because it's true. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/29/cdc-mask-guidance/

Taken from the above article concerning the delta variant:

"One of the slides states that there is a higher risk among older age groups for hospitalization and death relative to younger people, regardless of vaccination status. Another estimates that there are 35,000 symptomatic infections per week among 162 million vaccinated Americans."

So.......... again. I'm not impressed with the vaccine. If it was doing what the vaccines in the past have been able to do I would fully support it. But when I see articles like this from legitimate sources. What am I supposed to do with that? 

I didn't deconvert to blindly follow what the opposite camp has to say. I question more now. And this is one of the things I question. 

@florduh

Guess I'll tag you since I'm the only one following this thread. In the above post I site an article from the Washington post. If you would kindly read it and reply I would appreciate it. 

Thx

DB

@TheRedneckProfessor

I value your thoughts on this article. It would be nice to get your professional take on the situation with the delta strand, as well, since your probably the most knowledgeable here. 

.    The arguments I've heard so far are basically its the only weapon we have, so we need to use it. We already know the vaccine is making our immune system attack the protein around the virus. If the Delta variant has the same protein why are they seeing these numbers of symptomatic infections in vaccinated people. 35,000 in one week is a lot. 

Maybe you can give some insider information. 

Thx,

DB

• Super Moderator

@DarkBishop, I hope this video helps:

Also, as the owner/admin of the Opine Club, it is my sworn duty to stay neutral and not get involved in the discussions. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.